• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you liked but would never play again

drganon

Red dead redemption 2. I really enjoyed that game while playing it, but after I saw the credits, I had zero desire to continue playing it or ever go back to it.

Roberts

Spider-Man. I enjoyed the game, but as soon as the main story was finished I was out. Didn’t even bother with most of the side stuff, because I really felt that the game is one mission away from becoming super tedious. That’s why I didn’t even bother with MM. I think that the initial joy of webslinging through the city is so strong that everything after is a case of diminishing returns.

Topher

Gold Member
Most of them. There are a few I've replayed for various reasons. Over the past year I replayed Greedfall on PS5 to get Platinum Previously I played it on PC. Also, Mass Effect Legendary Edition. That was a trilogy worth replaying for sure. And, of course, TLOU remake that is upcoming. Looking forward to platinuming that one as well.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
most of them. i rarely replay any games. in the last 10 or so years the only games i've replayed are:
  • the last of us
  • bloodborne
  • witcher 3
  • persona 5
  • grand theft auto v
  • portal 2
a game needs to be really good for me to take the time to go back and replay it. i generally don't like replaying games because there's always something new to play. those games are the exception. out of them i'll probably only replay bloodborne, witcher 3, portal 2, and persona 5 again. i haven't replayed them but i really want to go through Nier Automata + Breath of the Wild again. depends when i'll have the time because, again, i'm busy playing new stuff.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Any Xeno game ( Gears, Saga, Blade). Just too much of a good thing.

Rayman Origins/Legends. Fantastic games, but the best part of them was struggling for 100% and just casually strolling through wouldn’t be the same.

And yeah, Elden Ring. There’s just too much of it, and like with Rayman, just blazing through it isn’t the same.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Maybe because they were starting to get boring, maybe you had a bad/toxic online experience, maybe something happened to your data or progress and you got pissed, maybe it's a really old game and it's hard to get back to it now, or who knows maybe you just played enough of the game to be satisfied with it and you just don't plan to go back to it.

In my case Persona 5 is that game, OG Persona 5 to be exact, I haven't played P5R but I also don't plan to play that either, I spent 100+ hours on OG P5 and that's the problem actually, I loved the game but it's just way too damn long and that's a serious turn off for a second playthrough even with the changes in P5R I don't see myself ever going back to P5.

AU7qfLH.jpg
i get not everyone wants to go through a 100 hour game again and to be fair most of Persona 5 Royal is the same. if you've played the original then you've played like 60% of Royal. personally, i love the game and think it's worth playing Royal for the changes. one character has a completely new story and then you have the new characters. the 3rd semester (if you unlock it. it can easily be missed) i thought was really good and it adds about a good chunk of completely new gameplay.

overall the game is much easier. you get more free time and you can easily max out all your stats and spend more time with confidants. in my original playthrough i did max my stats but it felt like i only just made it and i only fully maxed out a few confidants. in royal i maxed the stats out with plenty of time to go and i only missed 2-3 confidants.

if you ever change your mind then definitely go with Royal. here is a list of all the new things it has over the original:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Persona 5 definitely came to mind when I saw the title. Took me 100+ hours. I can't do that again.

i get not everyone wants to go through a 100 hour game again and to be fair most of Persona 5 Royal is the same. if you've played the original then you've played like 60% of Royal. personally, i love the game and think it's worth playing Royal for the changes. one character has a completely new story and then you have the new characters. the 3rd semester (if you unlock it. it can easily be missed) i thought was really good and it adds about a good chunk of completely new gameplay.

overall the game is much easier. you get more free time and you can easily max out all your stats and spend more time with confidants. in my original playthrough i did max my stats but it felt like i only just made it and i only fully maxed out a few confidants. in royal i maxed the stats out with plenty of time to go and i only missed 2-3 confidants.

if you ever change your mind then definitely go with Royal. here is a list of all the new things it has over the original:

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Personally I wouldn't recommend Royal at all.

The extra dungeon drags the experience out too much, Kasumi feels shoehorned in (because she is), expansions on Akechi and that annoying psychiatrist added nothing interesting to the story, and the OG final boss was a decent showdown that didn't need changing. That said, I do think the mechanical gameplay changes and improvements to the dungeons were very welcome. Mementos is still painfully tedious in both versions.

When I first finished Royal, I couldn't really articulate why I was so disatisfied with it; there were almost too many things to list. I was curious about other peoples' opinions so I googled it and found an article from someone who described everything I disliked about Royal's so-called 'True Ending': https://www.thegamer.com/persona-5-royal-why-true-ending-terrible-worse/. The writer is a bit saccharine, waffling on about Love and Friendship, but they nail down why the ending sucks so bad.

Eurogamer also has a good summary: https://www.eurogamer.net/persona-5-royal-review. Ignore the first part of the review, just more waffle, the second part goes into why Royal is like an extended cut that nobody asked for.

Basically, I believe Royal is narratively worse that Persona 5 and is a terrible recommendation for new players because it fundamentally undermines many of the OG themes.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I'd sooner have my balls shaved off than read a Ryukishi07 visual novel to completion
Really I just have a very hard hatred of Ryukishi07 because I read Umineko's question arc a few years back and it fucking sucked.
If some loser wants to argue with me about Umineko then feel free. Look, I like the basic premise of a murder spree being taken over by a witch and her ever-increasing fantastical powers as the MC tries desperately to defeat her in a meta-argument of reality versus unreality. But. By the fourth chapter the pretentious bastard is literally just writing a story about a girl playing with her imaginary friends for probably ten hours of reading time, on the apparent basis that any fiction is fantasy so he can write whatever he feels like at the time. It's intolerable
If you can't sit through 100 hours of the question arc then I can't help you. Ryukishi07's Visual Novels always build up the suspense over long arcs, but the wait was always worth it. I remember getting into the visual novels due to the original Higurashi anime(as people told me to read the VN). You won't get any of your questions answered until the answers arc.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
RuneScape.

I was borderline medically addicted to it at one time. For various reasons, I never want to go back.

Fredrik

Anything 10+ hours that is linear and story focused. One playthrough is enough, unless there is a remake then I can play a second time.

Fredrik

Spider-Man. I enjoyed the game, but as soon as the main story was finished I was out. Didn’t even bother with most of the side stuff, because I really felt that the game is one mission away from becoming super tedious. That’s why I didn’t even bother with MM. I think that the initial joy of webslinging through the city is so strong that everything after is a case of diminishing returns.
Miles Morales is fantastic, I’m playing it right now, would’ve been on my GOTY list if it was eligible. But I understand what you’re saying, I’m doing the side stuff before finishing it because I know I won’t return to it.

BlackTron

Super Mario Odyssey. IDK, it was fun when i first played it and when i beat it i felt pretty satisfied. I don't have the same drive to go and revisit the game now like i do with previous 3d marios, though

I play galaxy once every few years. Haven't replayed odyssey yet.

I get what you guys are saying about Odyssey. I don't exactly have a problem with the game but something about it felt like empty calories. After beating it in 2017 I was surprised at how demotivated I was to go back in and find any more moons, though I did eventually play it again I can't see starting a new file. Whereas in 64 or Galaxy 2 I wouldn't even think twice about it.

GarlicPrawn

Neo Member
The last of us remaster on PS4. Played it once. I've almost forgotten everything besides those iconic moments, but my god it was something else.
This and the Witcher 3 were the games that left me asking for more single player games with good story lines

The_hunter

I get what you guys are saying about Odyssey. I don't exactly have a problem with the game but something about it felt like empty calories. After beating it in 2017 I was surprised at how demotivated I was to go back in and find any more moons, though I did eventually play it again I can't see starting a new file. Whereas in 64 or Galaxy 2 I wouldn't even think twice about it.
Odyssey is my favourite switch game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It kinda saddens me because even if I loved it I just don't see myself replaying Elden Ring. Game's just too long for a replay.

Sekiro, on the other hand, I've beaten twice and I'll be doing a third playthrough probably very soon.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Because it’s such a stark contrast to the rest of the series… God of War 2018.

Loved it the first time, tried to reply it multiple times… bored me to death. All the other GoW I could replay once a year.

Detroit: Become Human and Heavy Rain

I prefer to remember what ending I got, even if it was bad, I'm pretty sure my Heavy Rain one was. Just feels more like your own experience, but I have watched others play through it as well

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Spider-Man. I platinumed it on PS4 but I when I tried the game on PS5 I got bored after 2 hours. And it was kind of the same story with Miles Morales. It's just more of the same and I can't take it.

Maybe this is weird of me, but if I’m not willing to replay a game, that signals to me that I don’t like it. Therefore, if I like a game, I will be willing to replay it.

That said, some games I can replay just a month later, some I’d want to replay but not for another 4-5 years.

Last edited:
Because it’s such a stark contrast to the rest of the series… God of War 2018.

Loved it the first time, tried to reply it multiple times… bored me to death. All the other GoW I could replay once a year.
I’ll never forget how utterly confused I was by the opening segment of the game, since I’ve heard that it’s amazing. The first 10 minutes bored me to TEARS, and while the preceding fight had some cool moments, it was almost comically long and repetitive.

Ugh I really don’t like GoW2018

Knightime_X

Likely Elden Ring
Amazing game and incredible atmosphere, but it takes sooooo long to collect everything you want / need and the difficulty doing everything solo can severely limit your pacing.
By the time I'm finished, I'll probably just uninstall it.

WoJ

Heavy Rain. Playing it knowing how it ends takes away from the overall experience. And after you've played it the plot holes become more and more obvious and egregious.

Life is Strange isn't something I could play again either.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Any of the Dark Pictures games. Fun, but got my story no need to replay again and again to try and get the “good” ending.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Almost no game, actually... How can you all find time to replay games btw? There are some I can see myself replaying, Alan Wake for example before 2 comes out, or some games I played like 10 or 15 years ago... I think the only game I probably replay that I played recently is dark souls though, there are some important bosses and the dlc bosses that I srsly want to fight... I'll do it on PC though, will double dip

Nautilus

Banned
99,99% of the games.

Outside of multiplayer games and maybe games like beat em ups; games designed from the ground up to be replayed; never really understood why someone would want to replay(outside of replaying like 10 years later, due to nostalgia and kind of forgetting a lot of details about the game) a gane that he knows the story, its twists, enemy positions, power ups, and all its surprises already. Its not fun and god, considering the ammount of games being released, I would never run out of new games.

Super Mario Sunshine - NGC (beat it the second playthrough 20 years later)

I don't know what was Nintendo thinking but this game literally will destroy your fingers!!!!

Jennings

Red Faction: Guerrilla
Very fun game with great destructible environments. The game wasn't only ahead of its time, but it's still unmatched today on the destruction front, two console generations later. And while I consider it one of the defining moments (along with Just Cause 2) of my time spent with the Xbox 360, I haven't been tempted to buy the much lauded Remarstered version released in recent years because although the gameplay is great, I never actually liked the infinite enemy spawns during battle. I honestly enjoy clearing an area and having my way with it once the heat dies down, but I never felt like succeeding in combat actually got me anything except more waves of combat... until I would arbitrarily decide I'd had enough and would have to simply leave.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Breathtaking game from the minute I entered its world. And while I easily dropped one or two hundred hours into the game, if I never see another Korok Seed or uncover another Shrine it will still be way too fucking soon.

Last edited:

Södy

Any AC game other than Black Flag. While I enjoyed Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla, they are just too long and more of the same to replay them.

engstra

Any souls game tbh. I don’t care about trying different builds etc, I love exploring the world but that’s completed on the first playthrough. As much as I loved Elden Ring I can’t see myself going back to it unless they release some new content.

Last of Us Part 2 I’m also not sure if I’ll ever replay. That game was such an emotional rollercoaster, not sure I have it in me to put myself through that again!

Banjo64

cumsessed
Most games.

I get the Platinum in most Sony FP games so I replay stuff like Ratchet & ND’s games until I get it. Same with From games. I usually speed run second play through a and take advantage of any loop holes I can (cloud saves for From endings, cheats enabled in U4 and the 6 hour glitch etc).

I just don’t have the time now for other stuff. I’d never replay something like The Witcher 3 nowadays despite it being one of the GOATs.

D-ray

Hard to think of NEVER play a game again if I liked it. Now that I think of it, I'll probably never play the original Metal Gear Solid on Ps1 again.
I finished the game in all difficulties, and excluding some TERRIBLE gameplay features, I ultimately liked it.
But 80% sure I'll never play it again.

levyjl1988

Banned
I wish a lot of the single player games I have, have sort of replay value, not in just the form of New Game +, but a co-op multiplayer survival match. No point scoring, but to see how far can one team get. And after completing, gain some sort of exp to level up that character or class and earn in game rewards. Just something to replay the game if the gameplay loop is good.

Like Alice Madness Returns.
I would love just to enter a match with waves and waves of enemies in unique areas because the combat was fun without going through the story elements or something like that. Same with Tales of Arise, just some extra content without micro-transactions, just something additional in terms of a horde mode.

Top Bottom