• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you liked but would never play again

KàIRóS

Maybe because they were starting to get boring, maybe you had a bad/toxic online experience, maybe something happened to your data or progress and you got pissed, maybe it's a really old game and it's hard to get back to it now, or who knows maybe you just played enough of the game to be satisfied with it and you just don't plan to go back to it.

In my case Persona 5 is that game, OG Persona 5 to be exact, I haven't played P5R but I also don't plan to play that either, I spent 100+ hours on OG P5 and that's the problem actually, I loved the game but it's just way too damn long and that's a serious turn off for a second playthrough even with the changes in P5R I don't see myself ever going back to P5.

AU7qfLH.jpg

Three

I had to do NG+ on P5 and yeah it was a slog. Wouldn't do it again. MM was another game where NG+ was a slog because you couldn't skip all cutscenes.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Plenty.

Usually story focused games games that are impactful, I feel playing them again removes that effect for me.

Valiant Hearts
SOMA (just beat this last night, great story, really liked it but likely won’t play again)

Other games that I liked at one time, that I probably won’t play again would be a bunch of PSP games. Partly because my pinky’s like to fall asleep after 15 minutes of playing handhelds now.

Shivvy24

The last of us remaster on PS4. Played it once. I've almost forgotten everything besides those iconic moments, but my god it was something else.

Higurashi. Amazing VN, but wouldn't read over 100 hours of story again.
I'd sooner have my balls shaved off than read a Ryukishi07 visual novel to completion

This is something dredged out deep from my memory but there was a game called The Faery Tale Adventure on the Mega Drive/Genesis that I got crazy into as a kid. It was a role-playing game similar to Ultima. It's a weird thing because I very distinctly remember loving the game, but I have very little recollection of it... anyway, I don't think I will ever play it again. I keep thinking I should, but... I don't care to.

Shifty

Oh, definitely .hack://G.U.

The simulated MMO premise really piqued my interest back in the day, but I didn't get far before some other shiny game caught my attention.

I went back and played through the whole thing when the HD collection came out, and while seeing all of the character progression and class change stuff unfold was neat, the gameplay definitely became a case of having to make my own fun by finding exploits and ways to fit in extra hits by abusing spacing and hitboxes. Real minutae kind of stuff.

The conclusion to the story wasn't really worth it in the way it seemed on the face of it, and doing the same minor plot stuff -> tournament arc -> major plot stuff -> ending progression in each game really wore thin by the third time round.
But, CyberConnect2's CGI animation work really is in a league of its own. It was worth it to see money explode out of the screen every time the plot popped off, but going through all that grind to see it again isn't worth it.

I guess it's a bit like Persona for me in that sense. 3 made a big impact, but knowing just how much grind there is in between the good plot and character stuff makes it a one-time deal.

Last edited:

If some loser wants to argue with me about Umineko then feel free. Look, I like the basic premise of a murder spree being taken over by a witch and her ever-increasing fantastical powers as the MC tries desperately to defeat her in a meta-argument of reality versus unreality. But. By the fourth chapter the pretentious bastard is literally just writing a story about a girl playing with her imaginary friends for probably ten hours of reading time, on the apparent basis that any fiction is fantasy so he can write whatever he feels like at the time. It's intolerable

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

If some loser wants to argue with me about Umineko then feel free. Look, I like the basic premise of a murder spree being taken over by a witch and her ever-increasing fantastical powers as the MC tries desperately to defeat her in a meta-argument of reality versus unreality. But. By the fourth chapter the pretentious bastard is literally just writing a story about a girl playing with her imaginary friends for probably ten hours of reading time, on the apparent basis that any fiction is fantasy so he can write whatever he feels like at the time. It's intolerable
you ain't fun at parties are you...

yamaci17

horizon zero dawn
ac valhalla

practically anything of that sort

i like 'em, but only for once

Last edited:
you ain't fun at parties are you...
Lol you're pathetic. You're incapable of engaging with things on an intellectual level... I can understand it for the typical normie Ass Creed player but you literally read over 100 hours of a visual novel and yet actively resist the idea of critical thought regarding such things... you think it's some cringey nerd shit to examine a work

You're right though that I'm no fun at parties.

intbal

All of my sports games.
Can't see any reason to play World Series Baseball 2004 ever again.
Although I think that only applies to the more modern "season specific" versions of sports games.
I'd play Tecmo Bowl right now if i had a working NES. (I have the rom, but emus just aren't the same).

Also, I mostly liked Far Cry 2, but I would never play it again. The travel system was just too much of a chore.
Also, worst ending in history.

The_hunter

Super Mario Odyssey. IDK, it was fun when i first played it and when i beat it i felt pretty satisfied. I don't have the same drive to go and revisit the game now like i do with previous 3d marios, though
I play galaxy once every few years. Haven't replayed odyssey yet.

dcx4610

Most every game after the 16-bit era. Games are just too long and I don't really see much of a reason to play them again.

The only time I find myself replaying games is if it's a remake, remaster or if I played it on console and now there's a PC release where I can max out the settings. For the most part, I want new games and new experiences.

yamaci17

All of my sports games.
Can't see any reason to play World Series Baseball 2004 ever again.
Although I think that only applies to the more modern "season specific" versions of sports games.
I'd play Tecmo Bowl right now if i had a working NES. (I have the rom, but emus just aren't the same).

Also, I mostly liked Far Cry 2, but I would never play it again. The travel system was just too much of a chore.
Also, worst ending in history.
funnily , i frequently go back to fifa 2003/2005 and play a couple games every now and then. something about their old tech makes them unique
i also go back to nba 2k11 every now and then, since i believe it was the best basketball game ever made, and also included the Jordan mode

cireza

Banned
Any RPG or Adventure game that drags for too long. The first time you deal with it, as you are discovering the story so it is something that keeps you entertained. But once you already know everything ? If the game is slow paced, I just can't stand it.

H4ze

Can't think of a single titel right now, but I'd say going back to 360/ps3 games on the og Hardware is in most cases a big no no for me. The combination of low res and wonky frame rates just puts me off. Hail emulation.

I had the exact same feeling playing Persona 5! Or should I say P5 Royale. As soon as I watched the credits roll on Royale I immediately felt the last 100 hours were a complete waste of time, even while OG P5 will remain one of my greatest games of all time.

RaZoR No1

The perfect game for your question.
I loved it, but I can never go back to it.

MV5BYzcxMmE2NjItNDc0ZS00NmY3LTk0ZDAtZGJmMDBmMzYyZDczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM2MzI5MzU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
It is just not the same feel/experience replaying it..
I feel the same as you, awesome game, finished and tried going back to it, but nope.. I just cant.

But it is definitely on my to play list, if I should get dementia etc. where I forget most of the stuff, so I can suffer again

Filben

Most 50+ hour open-world games.
Those.

I actually would play RDR2 again if they completely revamped the controls and make it an amazing shooter like Max Payne with responsive controls. But this is an exception and a highly unlikely if.

But generally only 1 out of 10 games I play again, most games are good and I enjoyed them but wouldn't start over.

OZ9000

Banned
Any game which takes 25-30 or more hours to complete.

In fact the only game I am interested in replaying is Halo Infinite when co op comes out.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Most recent game i can think of is nier automata, did a huge mistake of completing replicant first before completing automata and automata is just no where near as good replicant, also doesbt help that automata has 26 endings and a majority of them are kinda pointless

Also dishonoured 2, it just doesnt have the same magic as the first game

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Any single player game.

Theres plenty of games that I liked, but I just don't find interest in replaying them.

Theres just too many great games out there to play.

For me, any overly long RPGs.

If I spent more than 100 hours playing an RPG, and I completed it all the way through, then I will probably never replay it again.

I loved The Witcher 3, I did everything including the DLCs, but no matter how much I love it I see no point to start all over.

Games that I really enjoyed that are below 20 hours, I probably will.

There's just too much to play out there, so I have to make choices...

Top Bottom