• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with the BEST Character Creation

levyjl1988

Banned
What are some games with the best character creation that you were happy and satisfied with like you were able to create a character that you wanted.
The character creator has all the options available to you and it wasn't a horrendous mess like Dark Souls and ESIV: Oblivion.

Dragon Age: Origins has a great character creator.
GThDppp.jpg

The only downside is that you are unable to edit your character's appearance mid way through the game or change the portrait.
No option to save your creation for future playthroughs.
But at least the starting sliders are good enough.

Monster Hunter World is also fantastic
yMbIhx4.jpg

The ability to rewatch cutscenes with your created character is good.
The negative thing is that there is some weird texture banding on all skins I cannot unsee for some reason.
Also if you want to re-edit your character's appearance you would have to pay microtransactions for it, and it's limited.

Code Vein is absolutely perfect.
Bwe3SgV.jpg

Change your character's appearance at any time.
No microtransactions.
Able to save and load your creations offer such a large amount of variety.
Anime faces at its best.

Tera is great too!
MssymYb.jpg

Was playing this to satisfy a Dragon Age: Origins itch. Great faces as expected from S. Korea.

Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet is great!
X6udoIo.jpg

The ability to change your character at any time is great. Able to save and load faces similar to Code Vein, I wish this feature was in every character creator.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons
IOEuyHZ.jpg

Simplicity at its finest. Cute characters you can recreate at any time when you view a mirror.

CyberPunk 2077
W67ZYlq.jpg

u5YrNZ2.jpg

p09KSBe.jpg

Great baseline to customize your V. Was able to create an attractive V w/ot spending hours creating the character.
Unfortunately, there is no way to re-customize your V midway through the game, unless there is a future DLC for it.

Anyway, what are some character creators you find excellent or to your liking?
I hate Dark Souls CaC as changing the slider will affect other sliders.
I also dislike Oblivion as the faces are crap.

Saints Row 2 has the craziest one I've seen, where you can be a six foot tall, 500 pound purple skinned creature, or the complete opposite. Saints Row 3's was more stream-lined, but you could also make your character look like one that fits into the world well enough. I'd say both of those.

Fallout 4 has a very good creation system. It has a huge number of facial features you can alter as well as a ton of added features from scars to blemishes. When you start adding mods you can recreate just about any face.

Evren01

Neo Member
I was about to say God of War because of Kratos but I noticed the question is about customisation. :D Fallout 4 is a good example.

Last edited:
Fallout 4 has a very good creation system. It has a huge number of facial features you can alter as well as a ton of added features from scars to blemishes. When you start adding mods you can recreate just about any face.
Correction- Modded skyforge has very good character creation. Vanilla version is downright pathetic

levyjl1988

Banned
Dragon Age 2 has a great character creator until you see your character in a cutscene.
I hated the character creator options on DA:2, it seems like every nose is like a hook nose, it lacked variety. DA:O is one of the best imo.
The Darkspawn in that game looked like the putty patrol from Power Rangers. I hated DA:2 it didn't live up to the legacy that was DA:O.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
The later Sims games are pretty great. You can go pretty deep with it. Really make your Sim your own.

I heard Black Desert is really good also, but haven't played that myself.

levyjl1988

Banned
The ones I like the most are: RDR2, Dragon's Dogma and Nioh 2.

God those characters for Red Dead Redemption 2 Online looks horrid! I'm sure it's because of the time, but the creations are the results of inbreeding or something.
I've always hated the character creator for this and GTA V Online. Rockstar is horrid at creating character creators for sure.

Last edited:

Aion002

God those characters for Red Dead Redemption 2 Online looks horrid! I'm sure it's because of the time, but the creations are the results of inbreeding or something.
I've always hated the character creator for this and GTA V Online. Rockstar is horrid at creating character creators for sure.

You can create amazing characters on it, you just need a lot of patience... Or follow some guides:

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned

The problem with character creators like this and Fallout 4 is when there is no number or value or coordinates making sharing creations extremely difficult. Character creators with numbered sliders are valuable.
This is why I disregard Dragon Age: Inquisition and Falllout 4's character creator. Mass Effect 2 had a really good idea with face codes, but it never showed up again in New Game +.

Aenima

Conan Exiles. Thers a boob slider for female characters, and a dick slider for male characters, what else do u need?

sublimit

Banned
Dragon's Dogma Character Creation was very impressive for its day. I still consider it one of the best.

The Sims 4, hands down. The best and most powerful character creator I have ever seen in a game, especially if you enhance it with custom content. It's even more impressive if you consider the loads of different animations, interactions and facial expressions the characters have to work with. I have to admit I've never played EVE Online, but isn't it a game about space empires? How often do you even see your character in that?

sMzEM6t.jpg

levyjl1988

Banned
Demon Souls PS5? Not on the list? ....

I haven't played Demon Souls on PS5 yet, but based on the character creation, I'm disappointed that you can't make the width of the nose smaller because that's the max. I guess I'm a bit fickle when it comes to the options.

Top Bottom