• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with secrets found years or decades later?

levyjl1988

Banned
What are some games with secrets that were found years or even decades later?
Here are some I found:

Donkey Kong 64 - Hidden Coin

Donkey Kong 64 - Hidden Cheat

Nier Automata - level skip

Any others?

SSfox

Usually this is something that happens often with fighting games, specially back then without the internet and all.

When it comes to solo adventure games, MGS was a game that i always discover something new, story wise or gameplay wise each time i replay it. For example after playing a game second time i call Master Miller during my fight with Liquid and his Hind.D and he don't answer, OF COURSE HE WOULDN'T right.

Beat this game like 100 times easy, and recently i discovered you can use the Truck by hiding on it to go from a place to another. I don't think i knew that (i didn't play it since 2012 last time), and i was SO SHOCKED, a 1998 game i played so much and in 2020 i still see something new on it HAHA, anyway that was quite awesome.

The Nero Brothers sidequest in FFIX.

I remember finding out about it on GAF, but maybe my memory is fuzzy about that.
IIRC, there is another quest or dialogue option that went undiscovered for nearly two decades when the party first reaches Fossil Roo in disc 2. The only reason it comes to mind is I remember someone from the original development team commenting that every secret - after this discovery - had been found.

Kenpachii

What i never get with doom for example, somebody had to program it and they never told anybody how to do it? seems weird.

Anyway love those secrets the banjoo one i can still remember where people where going insane over and couldn't figure it out because i still remember the swapping was impossible so the ice key could never be collected. Funny how it was still possible after all.

Thurible

In batman arkham asylum there is a wall you can blow up with no indication that there is a room behind it (not on map nor is it seen with detective vision). The room contains a teaser for the sequel Arkham City as it is full of blueprints for the construction of it. Players only became aware of it after one of the developers showed how to find it online.

ShadowNate

I think Spelunky HD had some secrets discovered a few years post the PC release (I think one was the viability of the egg-plant run) and also some unintentional glitches retro-fitted to be supported by the game proper(a certain one involving the ball&chain and a *thing* at the ice caves).

Some early Mortal Kombat games had hidden characters or easter egg event triggers and menus that were not revealed or discovered until quite a few years post release.

Also, recently Louis Castle of former Westwood revealed a "secret" variation on an ending for the Blade Runner game (which is actually not possible to get in the vanilla game :D :D). The re-relase of the game, however, with the engine reimplemented by ScummVM, restores various bits and pieces for the game that were cut from the original release, or bugged out, or dormant but untriggered.

Top Bottom