• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with gameplay moments so good, they look like scripted cut-scenes

Chukhopops

Lol whatever Seiko has the simplest most bare bones combat system I can think of.

Every fight basically amounts Ching, Ching, Ching, Ching, Jump, Ching Ching Ching, Counter Ching Ching, Death Blow Win.

Hard? yes,
Fun? well first time round

No combos to put together, no new weapons to experiment accept those lame arm gadgets that are often highly contextual(And combat arts I guess), No hit boxes to get a feel for.
Also the combat system breaks down when you encounter more than one enemy. And don't even get me started on the stealth.

I'am no massive fan of the last of us 2( In fact I like Sekiro more) but at any given moment you have way more tools and options at your disposal.

This is coming from a massive From Software fanboy as well Dark souls might be my favorite game ever but the amount of choice Sekiro gives you in the moment to moment gameplay is way less than previous souls game. When you compare it to other action games like Devil may cry or God of War its laughable.

Anyway Back on Topic some of the shit you see in Horizon zero dawn is Amazing.
This is some of the stupidest shit I have ever read on this forum.

Sekiro has tons of gameplay variation between the special moves and prosthetics, some of which are highly impactful like the umbrella, whistle, firecrackers or moves like the Ashina cross. But it doesn’t hold your hand on how those things are used with a big « Press O for Ashina cross » so it takes time to understand how it all blends together.

I’m not going to say anything about comparing Sekiro to God of War or Horizon because I would probably get banned but I have no idea how it’s possible to reach such a conclusion.

Anyway… I guess that’s an opinion.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
BOTW: The Thread

source.gif
Shit, this game still impresses me

But I have to also say:
Trolling%2Blike%2Ba%2Bboss%2Bgame%2Bmetal%2Bgear%2Brising%2Brevengeance%2Bboss%2Bmonsoon_b51585_4390082.gif

This is some of the stupidest shit I have ever read on this forum.

Sekiro has tons of gameplay variation between the special moves and prosthetics, some of which are highly impactful like the umbrella, whistle, firecrackers or moves like the Ashina cross. But it doesn’t hold your hand on how those things are used with a big « Press O for Ashina cross » so it takes time to understand how it all blends together.

I’m not going to say anything about comparing Sekiro to God of War or Horizon because I would probably get banned but I have no idea how it’s possible to reach such a conclusion.

Anyway… I guess that’s an opinion.
No Sekiro is a very simple game.

It's hard and it's its fun but it also simple at same time.

You have one combo string
You have one parry
You can only equip 3 prosthetic at once (And a lot of them are useless in Boss fights with the acception of 1 or 2 being useful)
You can only equip one weapon art
1 frigging main weapon
Some items you can cycle though

and you can dodge, jump and grappel

That's about it? Feel free to add anything I've missed

Do you really want me to list the amount of Combat Options God of war has by the end game? There not even in the same stratosphere.

By all means you can enjoy Sekiro more but we're talking about choice here and Sekiro doesn't have much

GymWolf

Beamng's car and damage physics are so well made that almost any moment from gameplay looks like something you'd see in a car action scene from a movie - or a shot from real life.

I don't even like driving game but i'm gonna buy this thing sooner or later...

GymWolf

The Last of Us Part II

shits on every game in this department and it isnt even close
Exagerated statement.

Tsushima, rdr2 dmc5 can absolutely look like an exagerated action movie or a classic samurai\western movie, gifs usually hide graphical imperfection and gave some parity even when a game has better graphic than another.

Again, search some stuff from suhnilegend.

(And i LOVE how tlou2 looks during combat)
just keep in mind this is a "make your own fun"/tool type of game a la flight sim.
If i can drive on the opposite sense smashing cars and mofos it is already worthy.

Last edited:

MikeM

TLOU2 all of it

There is no debate in this lol.
TLOU2 set a new standard.

i have never seen shit like this in any other game.

also yeah if i had to pick another game BOTW 🤠

TLOU 2 had me going "holy shit" etc far more than any game I have ever played. It was shocking (in a good way).

Titanfall 2 is another that stands out to me. The campaign on that game was brilliant.

Termite

In terms of the PS3 era, Motorstorm Apocalypse was the king of this. It's the first game I remember being virally marketed through the use of gifs. You couldn't tell if they were from gameplay or cutscenes. Then you played it and realized it was all straight gameplay.

Incredible game.

Kuranghi

I wish TLOU2 actually ended up like the Paris Games Week showcase, the animations don't blend like they do there. I know its because that was heavily scripted to make it look perfect but was still a disappointment to me after being so hyped by that video, which was obviously implied to be gameplay and not in-engine or anything so you can't really use that as an excuse.

The animations in the final game are amazing and its obviously some of if not the best ever seen in games but the transitions I find quite jarring and very obvious even at normal speed and at 30fps. Maybe its personal preference because I'm not really a fan of that japanese game freeze-on-hit effect and its almost like that but its happening because they are cutting frames out to make it feel more responsive.

Tbf though I hated how RDR 2 felt and that was too far towards "cinematic movement" so its probably the best you can do without the ability to do the blending calculations quicker/more accurately.

I think Sekiro is the most impressive from this standpoint, they made it stylised in a way that means the animations transitions are part of the look of the game so its awesome, but TLOU2 is trying to be really smooth and cinematic and I think they didnt quite get there with what they had to work with. They did the best they can to solve all issues (Working within HW/SW limitations and balancing looks with input lag/feel) but I can't wait to see what they can do with new console HW, as I'd presume CPU is where those sorts of calculations are being done.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Beamng's car and damage physics are so well made that almost any moment from gameplay looks like something you'd see in a car action scene from a movie - or a shot from real life.

Nah. Beamng looks like shit. It's fun for a moment but I hate the way everything is so springy and bendy... even windows

Guilty_AI

Nah. Beamng looks like shit. It's fun for a moment but I hate the way everything is so springy and bendy... even windows
Graphics aren't amazing, but the physics and overall behaviour of vehicle bodies is top notch. Everything is springy and bendy because thats how they look like and behave under the extreme conditions you put vehicles through in the game as in real life, including windows.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Graphics aren't amazing, but the physics and overall behaviour of vehicle bodies is top notch. Everything is springy and bendy because thats how they look like and behave under the extreme conditions you put vehicles through in the game as in real life, including windows.
Sure but why I find driving a vehicle in real life much easier than in game? Maybe the vehicles feel too light or there is not enough friction or something.
Something always felt off... I still ended up spending hours toying with the destruction of course

Titanfall 2 is full of this stuff
I miss Titanfall 2 so much. It was such a great and underrated game and multiplayer was fun.

I would kill for a Titanfall 3 running on a new engine at 60fps with a massive world and traversal. Imagine the capabilities for gameplay but no, EA and Respawn have to keep shoving in crappy Apex Legends that got boring after a month :/

Guilty_AI

Sure but why I find driving a vehicle in real life much easier than in game? Maybe the vehicles feel too light or there is not enough friction or something.
Something always felt off... I still ended up spending hours toying with the destruction of course
If you used a wheel, FFB in the game is not the best which can make cars feel weird to drive in a sim.

If you used some other form of controller, its just easier to enter into more extreme driving scenarios than in real life that way. Its not like you'd normally drive accelerating a car all the way while trying to make turns at high speeds. If you did, you'd most likely would lose control just like in the game, though a normal person would probably crap their pants way before that.

Last edited:

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oh also when Sam learns the truth in Splinter Cell Conviction. They give you unlimited mark and execute as you escape that office with DJ Shadow playing in the background. One of my favorite moments in a game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Modern games are fucking amazing.

If someone had shown me this thread back in the 80's when I was starting out on the C64, my head would've exploded.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Does in-game graphics but in a cutscene count ?
MAJOR SPOILERS OMG

Last edited:

Keihart

nothing about this looks like a "scripted cutscene"....you run, shoot, stagger, takedown, it looks as gamey as a core-loop as they come.
I don't know man, the animations sell it to me, i don't think i'm the only one am I ? Gameplay rarely animates that well unless it's something canned.

Chukhopops

No Sekiro is a very simple game.

It's hard and it's its fun but it also simple at same time.

You have one combo string
You have one parry
You can only equip 3 prosthetic at once (And a lot of them are useless in Boss fights with the acception of 1 or 2 being useful)
You can only equip one weapon art
1 frigging main weapon
Some items you can cycle though

and you can dodge, jump and grappel

That's about it? Feel free to add anything I've missed

Do you really want me to list the amount of Combat Options God of war has by the end game? There not even in the same stratosphere.

By all means you can enjoy Sekiro more but we're talking about choice here and Sekiro doesn't have much
First you forgot defensive options like the mikiri counter and lightning reversal, and the prosthetics are all useful against at least one boss or enemy type. Weapon arts can also blend into combos, there are ninjitsu arts you didn't mention, etc.

But it doesn't matter because a good action game isn't defined by how many combos you have in your skill tree, but by the encounter design, the boss design, the amount of counterplay you have.

You mention in passing the jump and hook as if 2018 Kratos could do either of those, and as if those mobility options didn't make a world of difference in the level design and feeling of control. 2018 Kratos handles like a truck compared to Wolf.

Sekiro bosses push you to your limits and play very differently whereas I can barely remember three bosses in GoW 2018 after finishing it. Are you saying the Isshin fight is comparable to the Baldur fight, where the subtlety is that you have to use the ice weapon when he's on fire and the fire weapon when he's on ice? Are you saying fights like Genishiro, Owl, Lady butterfly, Demon of Hatred, Gorilla dude are comparable to the nine troll recolors and nine valkyries GoW has to offer?

I really liked GoW and the combat is good but the level design, boss design, combat flow, mobility, counterplay of Sekiro have no rival.

Aenima

TLOU I and II

Thers so many moments during fights that the AI, enemies + companions reactions make it look like a scripted moment when it wasent.

Ghost of Tsushima and GoW also manage to pull some of these moments.

EDIT: Oh yeah, SOTC is full of these moments as well. Still a masterpiece.

a SunhiLegend gif

Last edited:

ZehDon

The Uncharted 4 chase scene. I still don't know how much I had control over it and I don't even want to know.
This is why I kinda laugh when people mention Naughty Dog games in discussions like this. A huge amount of their games are simply the illusion of interaction; the amount of control or interaction afforded to the player is often actually extremely limited in a lot of instances. A good trick they often use is to have multiple scripts for a single instance - the player goes right, play script 1, if the player goes left, play script 2. This makes the player feel like they're in control without ever actually going off-script.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is why I kinda laugh when people mention Naughty Dog games in discussions like this. A huge amount of their games are simply the illusion of interaction; the amount of control or interaction afforded to the player is often actually extremely limited in a lot of instances.
Agree with you, the example of Sekiro, Nier Automata and Monster Hunter during actual pure gameplay with zero scripted event or QTE, that what makes them great.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This is why I kinda laugh when people mention Naughty Dog games in discussions like this. A huge amount of their games are simply the illusion of interaction; the amount of control or interaction afforded to the player is often actually extremely limited in a lot of instances. A good trick they often use is to have multiple scripts for a single instance - the player goes right, play script 1, if the player goes left, play script 2. This makes the player feel like they're in control without ever actually going off-script.
This is simple not true unless you're talking about setpieces

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
And here come the trolls.

"Anyone who says something I disagree with is a troll!"

Good lord, the TLOU2 fanboys never can take any criticism of their favorite game, can they?

OT:

Pretty much any game by Platinum and most of the DMC franchise. They know how to make an in-depth, stylish combat engine that feels great to pull off and requires some actual skill to do so. No spamming a single button press and being in "awe" over a basic attack animation.

Hobbygaming

Whatever gets you through the day, pal.
You can argue that the combat in ND games (not talking setpieces) is even less scripted than a lot of games because of the contextual melee. Every game has a "scripted" effect to your input like an enemies reaction to a hit but games like TLOU Part II have different animations depending on where you're fighting (Ellie leans enemies against walls, tables, etc if there's a close object or if you're fighting close to an edge the attack will be different versus if you were fighting away from the edge

They're no more scripted than most games when it's not curated to be that way like during QTE's, setpieces, etc

Hobbygaming

"Anyone who says something I disagree with is a troll!"

Good lord, the TLOU2 fanboys never can take any criticism of their favorite game, can they?

OT:

Pretty much any game by Platinum and most of the DMC franchise. They know how to make an in-depth, stylish combat engine that feels great to pull off and requires some actual skill to do so. No spamming a single button press and being in "awe" over a basic attack animation.
Those are different kinds of games, TLOU Part II is a grounded horror game. We shouldn't expect Ellie to do flaming roundhouse kicks

Top Bottom