• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where every enemy is unique?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wonder if we're to a point where it would be possible to procedurally generate bullet sponge enemies in a game like Uncharted and have them all look different but not negatively impact the performance of the game while doing it?

GuinGuin

Banned
I wonder if we're to a point where it would be possible to procedurally generate bullet sponge enemies in a game like Uncharted and have them all look different but not negatively impact the performance of the game while doing it?

I don't just mean their looks I mean tactics to beat them and move sets, etc.

Vae_Victis

Banned
If that is what you want to call them. That's basically what I'm looking for. Are there other games that solely focus on these kinds of unique encounters without the filler of basic enemies?
Furi and Titan Souls come to mind. There are definitely more, the technical term for it is "boss rush" (which is usually a mode in regular games where you only fight bosses one after the other, but what you're looking for are games that are boss rushes in and of themselves).

Business

Metal gear sólid from ps1
metal gear solid GIF

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't just mean their looks I mean tactics to beat them and move sets, etc.
You pretty much get that with boss fights already. In games with bullet sponge enemies like military shooters or even Uncharted types of adventure games you probably wouldn't get much deviation in tactics from common enemies because you could assume that the soldiers or mercenaries or whatever you were fighting would have had some sort of common training that would direct their activities. Individual NPC horde enemies in a military shooter each having their own style and tactics would probably be a less believable experience than the horde sharing common tactics.

Soltype

There are lots of repetitive enemies in that game.

If that is what you want to call them. That's basically what I'm looking for. Are there other games that solely focus on these kinds of unique encounters without the filler of basic enemies?
Alien soldier is the first game I thought of, there is a small bit of enemies in each level basically to refill your ammo and health, after that it's boss fights sometimes back to back

CamHostage

Didn't play it yet, but isn't Hellblade in that vein, that it cuts out all the grunts on your path (replacing them with environmental/emotional sequences and kind of puzzles,) and the few fights are very specific encounters?

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Didn't play it yet, but isn't Hellblade in that vein, that it cuts out all the grunts on your path (replacing them with environmental/emotional sequences and kind of puzzles,) and the few fights are very specific encounters?

No, there are lots of cookie cutter enemies. I enjoyed the game despite that though. Give it a try.

GymWolf

Your example is just a series of boss fights. Boss encounters are unique in most games.
Yeah but furi only has boss fights so there are no samey enemies in between.

It's pretty hard to find a game without samey enemies other than monster hunter type of games or boss rush type of games.

You can argue that tlou2 enemies have different names but the models are repeated, same for the names if you play enough.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Metal gear solid from ps1
Horror games like Amnesia or Outlast.

I mean if you go by the bosses they are unique but there is a heavy generic soldier component (granted, you could chose not to fight).
Are we talking about common enemies or Bosses?

Guilty_AI

Also, not exactly unique, but from what i've read Dragons Dogma also revolves around fighting certain kinds of monsters that each requires a different approach

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Shadow of Colossus, a game that has 16 enemies IN THE WHOLE GAME... is this really your example?! Fuck me

Try Persona, Souls, Castlevania, fucking Pokémon

Can you explain the value of this design philosophy please?

Like you could achieve this easily by only having a small amount of enemies the game would likely lack content though.

Fighting the same enemies is often fun because you can try different tactics, get better etc.

I know plenty of games with lots of enemy variety but they often repeat the same enemies

GuinGuin

Banned
Can you explain the value of this design philosophy please?

Like you could achieve this easily by only having a small amount of enemies the game would likely lack content though.

Fighting the same enemies is often fun because you can try different tactics, get better etc.

I know plenty of games with lots of enemy variety but they often repeat the same enemies

Have you played SotC? It makes every encounter exciting and the moments between them both relaxing and yet filled with tension knowing another giant battle lies ahead. I can charge forward on my stead while taking in the leaves, rays of light or swirling clouds undisturbed and contemplating the meaning of the encounters while knowing excitement is just around the corner.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Those aren't actual examples. You fight the same enemies multiple times in all of them.
You need to explain it better

A game can have a unique enemy using a base of "this thing only exists in this game, and it's very different than any other game", like this:
6e0fb0ecbfc3a5921a220c82e71d082c60ef68ab.jpg

or the example that you used, which apparently is "there's one thing and only one thing. You kill and move to the next"

GuinGuin

Banned
You need to explain it better

A game can have a unique enemy using a base of "this thing only exists in this game, and it's very different than any other game", like this:
6e0fb0ecbfc3a5921a220c82e71d082c60ef68ab.jpg

or the example that you used, which apparently is "there's one thing and only one thing. You kill and move to the next"

I'm using unique literally. You are using it metaphorically.

Neo_GAF

Banned
i remember perfect being advertised as "every enemy you encounter in the game will react in a unique way".

Top Bottom