• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games were certain visual effects appeared for the first time?

AvP 99 did some neat stuff for the time. It's the first FPS I know of that had destructible lights. It also featured bleeding characters and full dismemberment.
And there's a small pool of water in one of the levels which has proper fluid dynamics. It might be the first time we had interactable water like that in a game.

bitbydeath

Warhawk (PS3) was the first game to implement Ray-Tracing, on consoles at least.

images

intbal

AvP 99 did some neat stuff for the time. It's the first FPS I know of that had destructible lights. It also featured bleeding characters and full dismemberment.
And there's a small pool of water in one of the levels which has proper fluid dynamics. It might be the first time we had interactable water like that in a game.
Thief: The Dark Project (1998) had "destructible" lights in that you could douse them with water arrows and plunge a room into darkness. I figure that's the same thing as shooting a bulb with a gun. It's probably not the first game that allowed you to do something like that, but it certainly predates AvP.

Die By The Sword (1998) was a 3d third person hack and slash (90s Dark Souls) that had bleeding enemies and full dismemberment.

bitbydeath

Well, not really. This has nothing really to do with real time RT.

Back to the topic:
Forsaken was (as far as I know) the first game that had a level where you could fly into a room that was internally bigger than the outer dimension.
It is real-time RT, it calculates as the player moves.
So we researched and invented something called ‘cascaded voxel cone ray tracing’. The concept is a little complex but it involves calculating and storing light and its direction around the player as she moves in ever increasing cascades of data.

Banned
Tomorrow Children is possibly the first game to ever have an entire game ray-traced.

images

the reflections used voxel based cone tracing, that's about it...
and it was an absolute waste of resources, as relatively simple planar reflections would have achieved almost the same effect with way less of a performance impact

Warhawk (PS3) was the first game to implement Ray-Tracing, on consoles at least.

images

what about the game is raytraced?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

the results are that it looks like planar reflections... but uses way more hardware resources to get the same results while also looking more blurry.
everything else in the game has no trace of raytracing (get it... funny I know)
It makes it look like stop-motion to me, the way the textures are given a realistic vibe to them.
For lighting conditions, such as when flying through.

nkarafo

Thief: The Dark Project (1998) had "destructible" lights in that you could douse them with water arrows and plunge a room into darkness. I figure that's the same thing as shooting a bulb with a gun. It's probably not the first game that allowed you to do something like that, but it certainly predates AvP.
Goldeneye N64 in 1997 had destructible lights. In some levels. And some of them would also darken the room. I remember slowly making the Bunker level darker by shooting all the lights inside.

Though, darkness in this game didnt make a difference in gameplay.

?

Pretty sure at the very least the remaster of Turok 1 is not the same effect. It looks worse to me. Maybe cuz it's based on the old PC version? Either way I'm pretty sure it's different and looks worse. It's also missing the effect when you shoot the bonus room floor/ceiling. Well, at the very least it's inconsistent. N64 version never had such weird issues.
I thought you mean emulating the effects in N64 emulators.

Last edited:

Neo-bot

Neo Member
I remember the first time I experienced bloom explicitly: In HL2.

Its possible it wan’t first to have it but it was the first time I saw it mentioned in the graphic settings and with that the first time I heard of the word.

Edit: After reading some on the subject it seems Ico was one of the first games to make use of bloom. HL2 was probably one of the later adopters.

FEAR first game with volumetric god rays?

They are totally not volumetric god rays through.
nBctS7Z.jpg

I think Far Cry had bloom just under a different name and it released the same year, but before HL2.
I think it was only available in one mode or needed to be console edited in, but im pretty sure FarCry and the whole CryEngine at that time was doing alot of crazy shit.

Hell wasnt Crysis with CryEngine 2 the first game with parallax occlusion mapping?

I think ICO was one of the first games to use bloom in 2001

I think Metal Gear Solid was the first the use bloom so dramatically:

GymWolf

Who was the first game that had both ragdoll and havok for the first time? Hl2 was famous for that but i'm not sure if it was the first...

Altares13th

Secret Service: Security Breach featured stencil shadows a year before Doom 3 came out.
I don't even know if that was the first game with them. But I know Doom 3 wasn't the first.
Got to say I'm very surprised about this. I remember all the fuss about doom3 and Carmack having been sued by Creative Labs.
Maybe tech paper came earlier so Secret Service implemented it first in a shippable game.
Nice one!

nkarafo

Who was the first game that had both ragdoll and havok for the first time? Hl2 was famous for that but i'm not sure if it was the first...
Probably not the first but Unreal Tournament 2003 was the first i played that had ragdoll.

Max Payne 2 also had physics similar to HL2 a year before.

squarealex

I'm pretty sure that's just bloom, don't think the PS2 was capable of actual HDR?
Correct, It's not HDR hardware but software, Ueda and his team create their own shader.. Thanks the fillrate speed of the PS2.

It's not actual HDR, they are using tricks to emulate the effect.

What change when the rendering wanted dev is the same?

-----------------------

Honorable mention

Super Mario Sunshine and the Mirror Madness..

MjDNDXn.gif

When you come to PS1 and see this... it's just crazy...

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Correct, It's not HDR hardware but software, Ueda and his team create their own shader.. Thanks the fillrate speed of the PS2.

What change when the rendering wanted dev is the same?

-----------------------

Honorable mention

Super Mario Sunshine and the Mirror Madness..

MjDNDXn.gif

When you come to PS1 and see this... it's just crazy...

Yeah, that's some good RT for 2001 hardware!

Jk... But that effect was always impressive.

Inviusx

Cool thread, lots of people have mentioned Global Illumniation starting in the early 2010's but what you may not know is that it goes all the way back to 2007 with STALKER and the famous Xray Engine!

It wasn't a menu option because it literally crippled any contemporary hardware but you could enable it via the .ini file. It was super experimental but definitely the start of things to come.

H4ze

Legend Of Zelda on NES (1986) was the first game to feature game saves and continues.

aGtRn.png

Really quite surprising it took this long considering we had persistent high scores on arcade and pinball using a battery backup going way back to the 70's

That's not quit true tho, Elite came out in 1984 and it let you save your game long before Zelda was released. I think Elite was the first one.

Gusy

Not only environment physics, but also compound object physics and ragdoll physics.

Trespasser also pioneered:
-Billboard LODs. Rendering objects in the distance to a texture until they could be swapped for the models.
-Non-scripted AI for the dinosaurs, leading to unpredictable behavior.
-The first terrain engine based on real world height data (although they had to use a sculpted model to scan the data in)
-Physical sound modeling based on material interaction (friction, scraping, etc.)

Probably some other stuff I'm not aware of.

Seamus Blackley firing on all cylinders. I think he brought actual physics to the Original System Shock (1994) when throwing objects around.

Unreal, volumetric fog.

I also think Unreal was the 1st game to do multi-texturing on a single surface. I remember being an awesome feature on 3dfx cards back in the day.

amc

Warhawk had Ray Traced clouds?, da fuck it did, certainly not bouncing Rays in a scene in real time, and cascading voxel cones in The Tomorrow Children is not the same as Ray Tracing. It's a different technique. It's aiming for the same result but using cones and not rays. Not saying it doesn't get decent lighting results and that certain fundamentals aren't similar but proper RT (as in using rays and not cones lol) is much more demanding and complex and when done right is vastly superior to what they used in that game, clever though it is.

So although both of those examples use some form of simplified real time lighting that uses components of RT, they are not the same Ray Tracing as we talk about it in todays games.

Last edited:

Cryio

Fallout 4 - first officially moddable console game?
I think Remember me was the first game to use material based lighting.

i83xQ3FKWdAhV_GaOcChiyNFmIsKqJjNXEHBzgZDSjzsBg70P5igHFq4CylE2J5VVopWHa9zItZxfx9hv-4
Nah. It has screen space reflections, but no PBR. Hell, Arkham Knight, the state of the art Unreal 3 game (arguably more so than Mortal Kombat 11), doesn't have PBR.

intbal

Seamus Blackley firing on all cylinders. I think he brought actual physics to the Original System Shock (1994) when throwing objects around.
Fairlight on the ZX Spectrum had simple physics (momentum and gravity) on world objects and even the player character back in 1985.
Castle Wolfenstein had stealth gameplay in 1981.

Very specific graphical effects can usually be pinned down to a single game, but not gameplay elements.

intbal

What is necessary to consider a game "moddable"?

The Timesplitters games all had mapmakers.
The two Far Cry games on Original Xbox had a full level editor built in.

There were probably earlier games that could do the same or more.

Thebonehead

Banned
3d in 1981 on a Zx81 with 16k ram expansion that had to be held in place with sellotape. Why yes

or how about parallax scrolling on the C64 in 1986. I'll take some of that action with a cracking soundtrack to boot.

pretty sure fear effect came out earlier that year on playstation it had real cel shading. some would say megaman legends but I cant remeber if it was cel shading or just flat shading..
Fear Effect was also flat shaded, like megaman.

No way to pull the effect on the PSone I'm afraid.

What seems to be clear from this thread is that AAA game developers don’t push for new technologies. The technologies advancements are actually done by small devs with unknown games in a way to make themselves known

Von Hugh

Motherfucking Jurassic Park Trespasser from 1998 with its everything:

Object physics and ragdoll physics topped with inverse kinematics instead of animations. You can see the character pick up the gun from the ground instead of it magically just appearing in your hand.

And all those physics in an open-ish world environment. The developers going overboard with the advanced systems had a downside, though; the game needed more dev time and was released too early as a pile of crap.

Motherfucking Jurassic Park Trespasser from 1998 with its everything:

Object physics and ragdoll physics topped with inverse kinematics instead of animations. You can see the character pick up the gun from the ground instead of it magically just appearing in your hand.

And all those physics in an open-ish world environment. The developers going overboard with the advanced systems had a downside, though; the game needed more dev time and was released too early as a pile of crap.

To be fair, the hand system was concept was the biggest offender and it should have been canned early on.

If it wasn't for that the game wouldn't be regarded as bad.
What seems to be clear from this thread is that AAA game developers don’t push for new technologies. The technologies advancements are actually done by small devs with unknown games in a way to make themselves known
I just can't see that, most developers mentioned in this thread, were AAA or had AAA money behind them at the time.

Last edited:

Nah. It has screen space reflections, but no PBR. Hell, Arkham Knight, the state of the art Unreal 3 game (arguably more so than Mortal Kombat 11), doesn't have PBR.

The PS3 version of Unreal Tournament 3 had official mod support, you would download from the web and install via USB stick if I recall correctly (tho the mod had to have PS3 support flagged). I distinctly remember it for an awesome mod that injected dinosaurs into a match so you had to deal with crazy velociraptors and the odd T-rex too

SpokkX

images
Is this some sort of joke? I dont get it

anyway. There is 100% no raytracing in warhawk

This that come to mind is texture filtering
Mario 64 was really reallt first in the console/mainstream space here (GLQuake and som 3dfx Voodoo demos were techincally earlier - but it was hardly as mainstream)

Anyway my mind was blown when I saw the textures in Mario 64. I really thought it looked pre-rendered at the time. Oh also the Metal Mario model was amazing with the (fake) reflections

Of course a few years later I actually prefered PS1 unfiltererd textures since they usually were higher res...

Top Bottom