• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games were certain visual effects appeared for the first time?

nkarafo

This is the SNES version of Earthworm Jim, featuring Lens Flare in 1994:

RJ7RKCm.png

This is not a static picture of the effect, the sun is on a different layer and the lens flare fades away slowly if something blocks it, like those rocks in the front layer.

Genesis version was the original but that didn't have this effect. The first game on Genesis that had something similar (and even more impressive) was Vectorman but that was in 1995.

I think that's the first time this effect appeared but correct me if i'm wrong.

So what about other effects like bloom, chromatic aberration, texture mapping, field of view, film grain, reflections, bump mapping, etc... What games had such effects for the first time?

skit_data

I remember the first time I experienced bloom explicitly: In HL2.

Its possible it wan’t first to have it but it was the first time I saw it mentioned in the graphic settings and with that the first time I heard of the word.

Edit: After reading some on the subject it seems Ico was one of the first games to make use of bloom. HL2 was probably one of the later adopters.

Last edited:
All I can remember recently was Dirt 3 being the launch title DX11 with new effects. The one effect that got improved you mentioned on lens flare being bounced off objects or body's or water. Also later got used in Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
FEAR first game with volumetric god rays?

They are totally not volumetric god rays through.
nBctS7Z.jpg

Its possible it wan’t first to have it but it was the first time I saw it mentioned in the graphic settings and with that the first time I heard of the word.
I think Far Cry had bloom just under a different name and it released the same year, but before HL2.
I think it was only available in one mode or needed to be console edited in, but im pretty sure FarCry and the whole CryEngine at that time was doing alot of crazy shit.

Hell wasnt Crysis with CryEngine 2 the first game with parallax occlusion mapping?

Urban

Gran Turismo 1 or 2 ( I dont remember which one) there was this track where the sun shines through the leaves and the leaves cast a shadow on the track. Every friend who visited me for the PlayStation was blown away

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Gran Turismo 1 or 2 ( I dont remember which one) there was this track where the sun shines through the leaves and the leaves cast a shadow on the track. Every friend who visited me for the PlayStation was blown away
Shadows?

Vae_Victis

Banned
I can't be 100% sure, but I think Blade of Darkness (2001) was the first game ever to have traced reflections in water. Meaning, water would not just reflect parts of the world, but even stuff that was not otherwise on screen, making it full-traced and not just screen-space reflections. I don't know how it did it exactly on a technical level, but it's quite impressive for the time.

(1:05 for an example. You can see a larger portion of the illuminated archway and a wall-mounted torch are being reflected before they enter the player's field of view)

winjer

Gold Member
I think Far Cry (2004) was the first game to use an HDR (FP32) rendering pipeline.
It looked better, but it was heavy on performance for GPUs at the time.

Not to be confused with current HDR (color space).

skit_data

My friend has a pretty cool visual effect on his TV the first week of playing dark souls. Guess throwing a controller at the TV will do that to the display. Rainbow colors 😂.
I remember a cool effect I got when playing HL on my old fat monitor back on the day.

I accidentaly touched a radiator below the window while simultaneously touching the screen of the monitor which resulted in a strong tingling sensation in my finger and the whole monitor screen started shifting in a green-purple pattern. I guess touching them both grounded a circuit inside the monitor. Luckily no one was harmed, but me and my friends started fucking around with it when playing different games.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

I don't know where it was first implemented but Parallax Occlusion Mapping in Stalker and Crysis was used prominently and to great effect.

Off the top of my head:
I robot (1984) was supposedly the first game with filled 3D polygons.

Millennium Soldier Expendable (1999) was one of the first games using bump mapping.

Trespasser (1998) was one of the first featuring a full physics engine.

Terra Nova (1996) was a tactical shooter really ahead of it's time. To my knowledge it's the first game that used inverse kinematics for characters (legs will adjust to terrain for instance).

Last edited:

CeeJay

Off the top of my head:
I robot (1984) was supposedly the first game with 3D polygons.

Millennium Soldier Expendable (1999) was one of the first games using bump mapping.

Trespasser (1998) was one of the first featuring a full physics engine.

Terra Nova (1996) was a tactical shooter really ahead of it's time. To my knowledge it's the first game that used inverse kinematics for characters (legs will adjust to terrain for instance).
I think it was Tempest (1981)

edit: Battlezone was 1980

Last edited:
No by my knowing it was GT3 when remember correctly....

squarealex

Shadow of the Colossus is amazing for his time

Motion Blur
3dwa18.jpg

3dwa24.jpg

HDR
3dwa07.jpg

And many effect (life DoF / Fur)

The PS2 was a beast for creating your own shaders. I can mention many thing like fog or shadow in Silent Hill 2 & 3

Excellent post by jett

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Edit: After reading some on the subject it seems Ico was one of the first games to make use of bloom. HL2 was probably one of the later adopters.

Not sure about this one, but I'm pretty sure that HL2 Lost Coast was the first game (well, DLC) where HDR was a big deal.

Top Bottom