• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAMES USED TO BE BETTER

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
personally, i don't agree with your opinion, you just might be spoiled by games throughout the years and are having a difficult time enjoying them any more.

Interesting. Spoiled by too many good games? Or burnt out on games?

I'll admit to being on a gaming hiatus for awhile. I haven't played anything for 2 weeks now. I'm ready to hop back in though, and I'm starting with Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime 2. Basically going to stick to Nintendo for awhile.

I'll tell you what though... I am burnt out on all the microtransactions and GaaS games that have infected gaming. It's gotten so bad. Again... it's typically only the highly marketed "AAA" gamesthat have this... the indie scene is better than ever as folks have helped bring me to my senses.

Lots of great games are still being made and released... but the "AAA" scene isn't what it used to be and that is what I was alluding to in the OP.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
For people mentioning nostalgia - for me at least it is not that.

The main thing is that top tier games used to be challenging. This is what attracted a lot of people to gaming in the first place, ability to compete with other people in a non violent, non physical way. The ultimate test of wits and skill.
That's why games like TMNT were so popular, it was a great game, with awesome graphics, with a very popular brand tie in, while at the same time being extremely challenging. In my area there were only 2 kids who were able to complete the game.

Tekken is the perfect example of a game that completely lost it's mojo: we went from a fast arcade fighter, that had graphics that were second to none on the platform of choice, and still had no easy mode for casuals, which allowed good players to stand out and feel special.
Tekken 7 is a garbage game - it's slower, with terrible graphics and special moves. Since Tekken 6 Namco is doing everything they can to kill the franchise.

Racing games are another example, Gran Turismo had it's soul marrying simulation and arcade to create a unique, challenging experience. Right now they aim for "simulation" with assists, that makes it feel like every other game of the same kind - bland.

As far as arcade racers are concerned, the genre is dead. Pretty much all of the arcade genres are dead - have you played Ace Combat 7? It's hot, boring garbage.

RPGs have also been simplified to the point of making you feel like an absolute idiot, and the only challenge stemming from the time needed to check every corner of the map.

The only refuge is indie games - but they usually have terrible graphics. In the recent years, the only games that actually felt like good games to me were Bloodborne and Monster Hunter World.
I wonder if you'd enjoy Sekiro. The enemies and bosses followed a very arcade-like "master the pattern if you hope to win" formula.

Carna

Banned
Who the hell asked for all these Mario spinoffs like party games and fucking sports titles, anyway?

Let alone all this capitalistic shit, no money-saving adult would need, electronic legos? 100 dollar starter packs? A game that jumps on the fortnite bandwagon?

For real? fuck Modern Gaming.

It's a shit point. A series off the boil and a lacklustre attempt to revive it by a Studio fallen from grace. How does that in away way shape or form act as a viable counterpoint against vastly improved UI, AI, etc etc etc in most other games. 🤔

You say vastly improved as if every new game is vastly improved. That's not always the case is it.

Kadayi

Banned
You say vastly improved as if every new game is vastly improved. That's not always the case is it.

Holy cunt flaps what is your malfunction exactly? I didn't say anything. I posted a couple of pictures. You're the one jumping to conclusions and running with this spurious notion that somehow that means "all modern games are better in every regard than what's come before" when I never actually said that at all. As Sturgeon's law insightfully notes 'Ninety Percent of everything is garbage' and that is true for old games just as it is for new. The thing is, all those bad/mediocre games from yesteryear...save for game archivists no one keeps a record of them, they're largely forgotten. People just remember the greatest hits and then mistakenly think that's the sum total of everything from back then, which is what the OP is doing,

Top Bottom