• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that have a soul

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm patiently waiting for the sequel. There's so much potential in this game.

And I'm going to get a PS5 soon to replay my PS4 save in 60FPS. I miss PS now :messenger_crying:

Be careful, someone will think you're talking about PS Now and suggest you GamePass. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Anyway, another game with a soul:

5fa82f0b93e221765b6babb6beaeac49.gif

G9EmT7U.gif

One of the weirdest games I've ever played. So mysterious, so unique, so special.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah, that's the only game that I can truly say "has a soul." Playing it was a spiritual experience for me.

Funnily, that game had taken place in my region, Dhofar today and Ophir in ancient times with its city Ubar, around the Empty Quarter. Same with Uncharted 3, who I've actually sent suggestions to ND back in the day with all documents, and surprisingly they took it seriously!

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'll have to try The Last Guardian again. It has been mentioned several times, and there is definitely something evocative about it. I tried it once, didn't get very far, then put it down because the controls seemed very unintuitive and clumsy to me. I probably need to just stick with it. I like stories about animal-human bonds, so I imagine I'll like it, if I can get past the controls.

I also appreciate the mention of Valliant Hearts. That was a good-hearted little game. Just seeing the image of that dog brought back memories.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'll have to try The Last Guardian again. It has been mentioned several times, and there is definitely something evocative about it. I tried it once, didn't get very far, then put it down because the controls seemed very unintuitive and clumsy to me. I probably need to just stick with it. I like stories about animal-human bonds, so I imagine I'll like it, if I can get past the controls.

I also appreciate the mention of Valliant Hearts. That was a good-hearted little game. Just seeing the image of that dog brought back memories.

Valliant Hearts must be the winner of this all. I was shocked from the real photos showed and details about that nasty war. It was good people against forced hatred of war.

Last edited:

tassletine

original.gif

tumblr_ok4hxbsEHG1ukholjo1_r1_540.gifv

FineJointAsp-size_restricted.gif

tenor.gif

Notice how every game in this post is polarizing? Gamers tend to focus on flaws, mechanical flaws than appreciate the beauty in the game.
I think that's because they all have personality, and flaws are a huge part of any personality.
Corporate games iron out the flaws to appeal to a wide base and whilst they have less to attack, they lack risk (soul) and people pick up on that.

It's not about beauty or anything like that I think, more about a developer showing you what they think works, taking risks and seeing if you'll go along with them for the ride. All the above are great examples.

Shut0wen

• Super Mario 64 - japanese dev
  • Banjo Kazooie - maybe ?
  • Dark Souls - Japan is well known for extreme hour of unpaid overtime as the basis for all contract, From software is no exception, they have harsh working condition
  • Minecraft - one guy making a game alone for years doesn't constitute crunch or self abuse ?
  • Monster Hunter - again, japanese dev and horrid working condition as basis for employment
  • Super Smash Bros. - japanese dev
  • Dragon Age: Origins - indecision and mismanagement generalised it worked well enough to take decision at the last minute for dragon age but failed miserably for subsequent games. Anthem is the perfect example
  • Mass Effect - Lost over 13 leads (game design, art, audio, prog, senior core leads, etc) in 5 years at Bioware, same culture as Dragon Age, RollingCrunch lasting over 2-3 month
  • Witcher 3- Lol CDPR Red is mostly known for crunch, released buggy as Hell on PC, people only remember the Console version in glowing term because they arrived late on the bandwagon
  • Journey - tons of unpaid work because they ran out of sony money, most of the people left after the game was released because they couldn't take another production like this
  • Dead Space - maybe ?
Nintendo dont do crunch though, im sure thats why animal crossing got delayed 100 times and so did yoshis wolly world.

Also dead space definitely went through crunch, game was originally developed for ps2 and xbox, got changed to next gen with loads lf cut content

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Bioshock
ken went all out on this game

Alien isolation
You can tell the devs loved the original movie and did there very best to make a game out of ut and they succeeded, only thing i can criticize about the game is that its to long.

Fallout new vegas and fallout 3
I know this is a pretty controversial opinion but i personally think bethesda put alot of soul into the 3rd game and respected the ip and tried to be faithful as much as possible while also modernizing the franchise, id say it was the last good game todd gave a ahit about but with new vegas osidian literally took what bethesda made and created a proper fallout game, great writing, great chatacters and so many choices with how you complete quests, just a shame osidian never had enough time with the game

Outrun 2

Mass effect 2
Mass effect 2 is a weird one, in one way you can tell EA told bioware to make the game for a wider audience, the game had way less exploration then the first title but at the same time it fixed the combat, had new and old companions which you gave a shit about, main story was great as well.

Doom 2016

Perfect dark

Timesplitters 2

SoraNoKuni

Team Ico games, Japan Studio games, From Software games.
Actually games mostly from Japan and indies, there are a lot Japanese developers that create art, could even argue about Kojima.

Most triple A western developers aim Money first, creativity second... actually no, they are creative on how to cashgrab with mtx.

Last edited:

Markio128

I think it’s clear from reading a lot of these comments that peoples ideas of games with souls are incredibly varied, which is great. In the end, a game just needs to speak to you in some way. In recent memory, I would go with The Witcher 3; that Baron story arc alone was incredible and, in my opinion, the greatest story arc of any recent open world RPG. Not to mention that bloody card game (Gwent) that was so well designed, it turned into a game of its own. Who knew that the same devs would then have then gone on to create the controversial mess that was Cyberpunk.

RGB'D

Prey- game was incredible. A love letter to system shock enthusiasts and one of the best thought out games I've ever played. Arkane could teach a masterclass in level design

Top Bottom