• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games so good that everyone should beat at least once in their lifetime

Cyborg

This is an impossible thread :)

There were such amazing games in the time they got released. Back then there was nothing that could match it and it was pure magic but by playing it now you clearly see that games evolved and that old games don't have the same impact/magic.

Chrono
MGS1 (my all time fav)
Zelda
FF7 (original)
Metroid
RE1+2 (original)
And so on...

All of them were amazing games back in the days when they were released but going back to play them now would only hurt the experience. I know retro fans still play this but the general public (majority) couldn't care less.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I ran the thread so far quickly through a word counter to see what came up. Franchises in order of popularity:

Super Mario
Final Fantasy
Resident Evil
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Dark Souls

The one singular game I could pick out from a distance? Chrono Trigger. Can't say I disagree.

This is very bad science and someone with much more spare time could do it manually.

Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3

Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 2
Halo 3

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot: Warped

Umbasaborne

Banned
Super_Mario_Galaxy_NA_Box_Art.jpg
masseffect2.jpg
300px-Super_Mario_World_Box.png

Last edited:

sono

Gold Member
Unreal
Unreal tournament multiplayer
Doom
Quake 2 Inc Mulitplayer
Darksiders
Killzone 2
Uncharted 1
Resistance fall of man
Mass effect 1
Tomb Raider Underworld
Starfox

93xfan

Banned
Super Mario Bros 3

Illusion of Gaia

Mario 64

Zelda A Link to the Past

Zelda Ocarina of Time

Metal Gear Solid

Super Castlevania 4

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

AndrewRyan

Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Nex Machina
Dishonored
Half Life: Alyx
Bioshock
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Starcraft 2
Audica
Tetris

Zuo

Super Mario Bros 3

Illusion of Gaia

Mario 64

Zelda A Link to the Past

Zelda Ocarina of Time

Metal Gear Solid

Super Castlevania 4

Castlevania Symphony of the Night
One of the few posts in this thread I can get behind. Though I'd say SMW instead of SMB3 and maybe Chrono Trigger instead of Gaia for the JRPG representation.

The Pokémon games are one of the few that have aged well, mostly because the art style isn't anywhere near an attempt at realism. Well, from the second generation.

There are of course others, like Age of Empires II (though like Pokémon, Age of Empires (the first one) has aged terribly too).

I think I've played enough 'retro' games and been disappointed enough for my opinion to be valid. Goldeneye was the worst. I wish I'd never gone back to that and kept my rose-tinted glasses on for it. I used to adore it.
Pokemon has largely dated mechanics ganked from the first Dragon Quests with little in the way of objective with anyone not into the collecting or metagame. And at least the Dragon Quest series evolved quite a bit.

93xfan

Banned
One of the few posts in this thread I can get behind. Though I'd say SMW instead of SMB3 and maybe Chrono Trigger instead of Gaia for the JRPG representation.
I still need to play through Chrono Trigger. Hopefully in the next few months.

Mario World is amazing and a ton of fun. 3 is a bit better overall imo though, but I can respect anyone liking World better. 3 just had the perfect level length, great art style and music. And the challenge felt perfect. World is such a fun game to explore and play around in. Also love the final star road levels

Last edited:

Paasei

Deus Ex / HR
Thief 2
Hitman Blood Money
Rollercoaster Tycoon 1/2
Uncharted 2
Call of Duty 2 and 4
Bloodborne
Prey
Half-Life 2
Fallout 3, New Vegas and 2
Morrowind
Tetris
Super Mario World
God of War series apart from Ascension
NFS Underground 2
Diablo 2
Age of Empires 2

Last edited:

Zuo

I still need to play through Chrono Trigger. Hopefully in the next few months.

Mario World is amazing and a ton of fun. 3 is a bit better overall imo though, but I can respect anyone liking World better. 3 just had the perfect level length, great art style and music. And the challenge felt perfect. World is such a fun game to explore and play around in. Also love the final star road levels
Do you like the Super Mario All-Stars version of SMB3? I definitely need to replay 3 at one point, but I can't decide which version. The SMAS version seems great and easier to get into, but I don't know if it breaks anything SMB3 fans love about the original.

Smasher89

I'm sticking to a few relatively current games that could fit for almost anyone that has game experience but maybe havent experienced these games.

Rive The swansong of two tribes, they put everything they got in one of the final iterated games, its great and usually goes super cheap. Challenging platformingschhmup with a funny story writter by gamers for gamers.
Azure Striker Gunvolt 3 (go for highscores, but might want to play all the 5 earlier games before it), its tight platforming dont touch the floor combo madness with almost perfect level design. I plan to get back to this alot more just to be able to beat one unlockable mode thats crazy cool/fun to play(but also very challenging, requires practice).

Xenoblade series Much has been said about this series, but its best to say as little as possible, combat can be tricky but you beat that hurdle and get on a real wild ride story with the best exploration on gaming consoles.

93xfan

Banned
Do you like the Super Mario All-Stars version of SMB3? I definitely need to replay 3 at one point, but I can't decide which version. The SMAS version seems great and easier to get into, but I don't know if it breaks anything SMB3 fans love about the original.
Breaks a ton. Physics I heard are messed up a little. Also, the art style is garbage.

NES original all day. Trust me.

pramod

Banned
Does it have to "beat"?
I was gonna say World of Warcraft, I think it's the most impressive accomplishment ever in the history of gaming, but you can't really "beat" it.

reezoo

This list will keeps on getting longer...

Mario Borthers (NES)
Sonic The HedgeHog (Genesis)
Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)
Gun Star Heroes (Genesis)
Alien Soldier (Genesis)
Star Fox (SNES)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Super Mario Brothers (SNES)
Metal Gear Solid (PSOne)
WipeoutXL (PSOne)
Final Fantasy VII (PSOne)
Resident Evil (PSOne)
Tomb Rader(PSOne)
God of War(PS2)
ICO (PS2)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Killzone (PS2: we need support..)
The Last of US (PS3)
Uncharted series (PS3)
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
MGS V (PS3)
Demons Souls (PS3)
God of War (PS4)
HZD (PS4)
RDR2 (PS4)
It Takes Two (PS4)
TLOU2 (PS4)
Uncharted 4 (PS4)
Bloodborne (PS4)
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS4: creative stuff at the end)
Demons Souls (PS5)
Spider-Man + Miles Morales (PS5)
HFW (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5)
Stray (PS5)
GOW:R (PS5)
Metroid Dread (Switch)
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

RAIDEN1

Personally I just haven't been able to get into Watchdogs 2 ....keep failing at the very first mission inside the huge server building...and haven't been back to it since...I thought it would be relatively easy to get into the swing of things from the get go.....I have never played any of the Portal games but I hear Portal 2 is the best...so I am planning to check that out at some point

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you like business games, find some friends or fam to kick back to the early 80s and hot seat it together playing this on Apple II. The CPU AI are shit and all play similarly, so no point.

I had no idea what I was doing back then as I was just tagging along being an easy kill for my brothers, but it was still fun to just watch the stats churn out. Even better is you can speed up the game in emulators. The real game took a while do each round as it typed slow and the game needed time to calculate things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom