• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games so good that everyone should beat at least once in their lifetime

tommib

Twisted-Metal-Black-PS2.jpg

Medal-of-Honor-Frontline-PS2.jpg

2.jpeg_ydtJ9Kk.jpg

c9b32c98563233aa501943c67fb2ecac-1.jpg

Video games rely more on advancing technology than films do. Not many people can honestly sit here and honestly say they can play PS1 games and find them perfectly playable in 2022. But more power to you if you can.

I don't believe you though.
To even suggest that the nu-Tomb Raider trilogy is at the level of the original game, sends shivers of horror down my spine. I wish fucking Sony already had it on their “Premium” catalogue for me to show you in hours played how that game is galaxies better than the “modernised” versions.

I can always, always play and finish Tomb Raider 1996. I couldn’t get past the tutorial on any of the new bastardised versions.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Yes

It's not as long as other RPGs, it can be completed in 20 to 30 hours

Phenomenal cast, soundtrack, graphics, story, world/Lore, gameplay, etc

To date still my favorite game of all time. Only game I ever gave a 10
You can actually beat it in about 8 hours depending on what ending you are going for. Also, the amount of endings is another reason why you should indeed play it!

Josemayuste

I’ve played the forgotten city over this with my time back then.
Is this Really so good? The forgotten city is amazing btw

I consider Outer Wilds one of the best games of all time, IMHO, it has a unique game design, that breaks the fourth wall in ways that no game did before, making a connection with the player that it's the most organic one that the medium can aspire to.

In such a way, that to talk more about its mechanics, is considered a giant spoiler.

Its a game about knowledgement, space, curiosity, and exploration.

This game should and is worth to be talked about much more.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I consider Outer Wilds one of the best games of all time, IMHO, it has a unique game design, that breaks the fourth wall in ways that no game did before, making a connection with the player that it's the most organic one that the medium can aspire to.

In such a way, that to talk more about its mechanics, is considered a giant spoiler.

Its a game about knowledgement, space, curiosity, and exploration.

This game should and is worth to be talked about much more.
I just downloaded Outer Wilds and was legitimately hovering over it getting ready to start it when I read your post…a sign? Lol. I really am looking forward to it!
Edit - Also, thank you for not spoiling 😊

Last edited:

Lasha

Ikaruga. I think it is the most beautiful shooter ever made. Quality oozes from every corner of this masterpiece. Ikaruga is difficult yet extremely fair. One can clear the game without firing a single shot if they master the color shifting system. Getting to your first 1CC will be an incredible journey that makes you a better gamer and a more patient person overall. Finishing a no-death run is about as close to zen as you will get in gaming.

Deerock71

I just started playing this on Switch. I stopped playing it right after beating the Prologue last night. It was so epic I almost just want to stop for good, I feel like the rest of the game is probably going to disappoint now. haha
Keep playing. I had it on PS4 and never got far. It does not lose momentum.

EDIT- And yes; playing it on a portable makes THAT much of a difference for me.

Last edited:
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
XCom 2
Civ (any)
Zork (or any text parser)
Kings Quest 3
Lemmings
Dark Moon
Myst

I like your post; nostalgia filled the air. So I'll avoid super old classics, which I adore.

There are so many to list. I don't even know where to start. I'm going to choose only 3 for the sake of not creating list replies.

Super Mario 64. You've never wanted to 100% a game so bad and had so much fun doing it.
Super-Mario-64.-1453319240.gif

Destiny 2 with 5 friends and raiding. It's a job, but it's fun with friends and some of the most interesting game mechanics to group discover. Do yourself, and fireteam, a favour and don't YouTube how-to cheat.
giphy.gif

Halo 2. The best FPS campaign ever. Ok tied with Titanfall 2.
LiquidGlassAiredaleterrier-size_restricted.gif

Halo 1
Fallout 1 + 2
Diablo 1
Monkey Island - all over them
Broken sword 1,2, 5
Mass Effect
Advent Rising
Order 1886
Too Human
Gears of war 1
Blue Dragon
Syndicate wars
road rash
Megalomania
Command and conquer red alert 1 and 2,
C+C 1,2,3 generals
Counter strike source
Half life 1 and 2
Deus ex 1, 2, HR
Divinity OS 1 + 2
Baldurs gate 1 + 2
Collumns
Streets of rage 2
Legacy of kain - all of them + Blood omens
Headhunter
Spawn in the demons hand
Powerstone
Resident evil 1
Tomb raider 1,2,3,
Guitar Hero : Metallica
Dragon age 1
Deathrow
Breakdown
Kingdom under fire 1+2

Last edited:
This is the answer.
And people are posting these early nes games that realistically no new gamer is going to play :p
I never played any Zelda and I am fine. I was a pc guy in the 90s so if we play like that I should say duke nukem 3d
Bro go on YouTube and you’ll see loads of young uns discovering NES classics. Gen z is based.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The medium has evolved and those older games are simply unplayable now. Who the fuck wants to play GTA 2 over Red Dead 2?

Video games arent like movies, they dont age like wine. They become unplayable and outdated.
2.jpeg_ydtJ9Kk.jpg

c9b32c98563233aa501943c67fb2ecac-1.jpg

Video games rely more on advancing technology than films do. Not many people can honestly sit here and honestly say they can play PS1 games and find them perfectly playable in 2022. But more power to you if you can.

I don't believe you though.
Congratulations for picking the dumbest possible example for your argument.
Graphics aside, Tomb Raider hasn’t gotten “far” at all - it’s one of the IPs that have blatantly regressed the most since its early days. It was a door to the future, a ground-breaking game, the proof that the new tech could really advance gameplay towards new horizons in 1996. Tomb Raider is one of the reasons gaming went from mascot platformers to the movie-games everyone is vouching for in this thread. Except it also had outstanding level design and scope, plus some solid gameplay that’s still good today if you’re willing to learn its controls. It doesn’t take more time than the forced tutorial of any modern game.

The irony is that your precious technology has hardly produced a similar game since. With all the possibilities the medium has today, most of the scenery in games that go for the same scope as the original TR is just that - scenery. In TR, if you could see that mountain, you could climb it 90% of the time. In Dark Souls 2, you needed 30 hours and the killing of a thousand enemies plus a bunch of demigods to go past a waist-high wall. “This is how far we’ve come”, indeed.

And to prevent your rebuttal, yes, I have replayed TR1 after TR2013 and Rise. And it’s by far the better game. Even better now that everyone is used to navigating 3D worlds.

Ikaruga. I think it is the most beautiful shooter ever made. Quality oozes from every corner of this masterpiece. Ikaruga is difficult yet extremely fair. One can clear the game without firing a single shot if they master the color shifting system. Getting to your first 1CC will be an incredible journey that makes you a better gamer and a more patient person overall. Finishing a no-death run is about as close to zen as you will get in gaming.
See, as much as I love Ikaruga, this is not a game I’d suggest here.
It’s way too difficult to grasp and master.

Lasha

Congratulations for picking the dumbest possible example for your argument.
Graphics aside, Tomb Raider hasn’t gotten “far” at all - it’s one of the IPs that have blatantly regressed the most since its early days. It was a door to the future, a ground-breaking game, the proof that the new tech could really advance gameplay towards new horizons in 1996. Tomb Raider is one of the reasons gaming went from mascot platformers to the movie-games everyone is vouching for in this thread. Except it also had outstanding level design and scope, plus some solid gameplay that’s still good today if you’re willing to learn its controls. It doesn’t take more time than the forced tutorial of any modern game.

The irony is that your precious technology has hardly produced a similar game since. With all the possibilities the medium has today, most of the scenery in games that go for the same scope as the original TR is just that - scenery. In TR, if you could see that mountain, you could climb it 90% of the time. In Dark Souls 2, you needed 30 hours and the killing of a thousand enemies plus a bunch of demigods to go past a waist-high wall. “This is how far we’ve come”, indeed.

And to prevent your rebuttal, yes, I have replayed TR1 after TR2013 and Rise. And it’s by far the better game. Even better now that everyone is used to navigating 3D worlds.

See, as much as I love Ikaruga, this is not a game I’d suggest here.
It’s way too difficult to grasp and master.

From my perspective many of the suggestions here barely qualify as games. I don't think difficulty or a requirement to focus detracts from a game's merits.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Terranigma-boxart.jpg

My favourite SNES RPG, and one of my favourite games ever. When people talk about games that can make you feel, what Quintet did here still stands atop the heap. The ending gets me every darn time.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm not a nostalgia bitch, so won't include MGS1 or any MGS, despite being my most important series ever and admitting that Kojima made gaming more than goofy gameplay and a cheesy story. He put meaning to it, but I think many have surpassed that level already.

If you are in 2022, then I would say GOW 2018, then TLOU2, then AC Odyssey come to mind. There are plenty that I might have missed but many masterful, generational-defining games like The Witcher 3, MGS1 have a bad taste in 2022 as the standards go higher and higher on every aspect of gaming.

H4ze

Half-Life 1+2
Alan Wake
BioShock 1
Warcraft 3
Super Mario Kart 64
MGS 1
Resident Evil 4
GTA: Vice City
SotN
Crash Bandicoot 1-3
SuperHot in VR
StarCraft 1

My top 10 everyone should play.
There is a hell of a lot more, but I recommend these first...probably.

No order:
Legend of Zelda - NES
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Ps1
Resident Evil 4 - PC
Doom 2 - PC (using GzDoom sourceport)
Super Castlevania 4 - snes
Super Metroid -snes
Resident Evil 2 - Ps1
Final Fantasy 6 (was going to pick 7 but I did a coin toss)
Super Mario Bros 3 - NES or SNES
Bloodborne - PS4 (PC if it ever gets announced)

I'd pick Rondo of Blood over SCV4, and Aria, not necessarily over, but as counterpoint to Symphony.

Zelda 1 is not recommended as a first pick.

Behold the only reasonable answers 🙄

1. Link to the Past
2. Super Metroid
3. Final Fantasy 6
4. Final Fantasy 7
5. Banjo Kazooie
6. Metal Gear Solid
7. EarthBound
8. Chrono Trigger
9. Super Mario 64
10. Ocarina of Time
11. Dragon Quest Builders 1
12. Uncharted Series
13. Donkey Kong Country 1
14. Persona 4 Golden
15. Stardew Valley

DKC1 and no sidescrolling Marios? Or Donkey Kong '94? Or heck, DKC 2 or Tropical Freeze, the best two in that series?

Also, Link's Awakening over Ocarina of Time.

Super Mario World 1 because then they’ve completed the most video game-y of games.

Dark Souls 1 so they can see the emotional impact and atmosphere games can offer through environmental story telling.

The Witcher 3 as this will demonstrate how you can buy into a strong lead character in a way you can’t really with other media.

Most video gamey of video games? I dunno.

GymWolf

Super Metroid and the Sorrow games have better progression.
Matter of taste.

I never played a metroidvania where i can turn into a bat, then give a fireball to the bat, than giving him a sonar and then a sonar that do damage, and this is only one fucking animal form.
(I even forgot the bat charge attack)

I never played any other metroidvania with the sheer amount of cool stuff that you can find in sotn, also the OST is still unbeated today and one of the best ost in videogame history, if not the best.

Last edited:
1-ups, secret levels, no levelling up or experience points, check points, catchy twee music etc etc... to me it is videogames distilled.

Mario 3 is the purer platforming experience to me. Challenging levels distinct from one another, scads of power ups, 1 ups... It may not have secret levels, but those distracted from the platforming focus in Mario World, which was too easy. And 3 was already about as big WITHOUT hidden levels.

Top Bottom