• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games prices possibly increasing on Switch/eShop?

I was just checking out new games on the Switch, while waiting for Bravely Default 2 to drop, and I noticed one of the new games was over $60. It's Steam Prison selling for $65.49. I've only prices above $59.99 for "Digital Delux" versions of games in the past, which this is not.

Were there ever any price ceiling for standard editions of games on the eShop? Did it get lifted or raised?

I am curious if the new-gen games costing $70 would find its way to Nintendo even before the next-gen Switch. Heaven knows, Nintendo does not like their games selling for less than the competitors.

StormCell

I was just checking out new games on the Switch, while waiting for Bravely Default 2 to drop, and I noticed one of the new games was over $60. It's Steam Prison selling for $65.49. I've only prices above $59.99 for "Digital Delux" versions of games in the past, which this is not.

Were there ever any price ceiling for standard editions of games on the eShop? Did it get lifted or raised?

I am curious if the new-gen games costing $70 would find its way to Nintendo even before the next-gen Switch. Heaven knows, Nintendo does not like their games selling for less than the competitors.

It's never out of the question. There is, of course, the price of carts issue that also tends to drive the digital-only price (ie. it can't sell for less digitally than the MSRP physical). I would say it's very possible Nintendo may allow an increase in prices to help facilitate the use of larger cartridges maybe. Super Nintendo Switch games could require 32 GB and 64 GB carts, so who knows?

Shifty1897

I saw that too, I think Hunex may just be charging more due to their games being extremely niche (both their games on Switch are romantic visual novels where the protagonist is female and all other characters are male).

Last edited:
Top Bottom