• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games like shadow of war?

anthony2690

Banned
Hello fellow neogaf users.
My father used to be quite the avid gamer when I was growing up, I use to watch him play resident evil games, onimusha, Dino Crisis, vagrant story, soul Reaver etc, well till he purchased Dino Crisis 3, he didn't really play games at all after that, he really really disliked that game.
I gave my Xbox One X to my dad last year.
He played through resident evil 4 again (for potentially the millionth time, he must've beat this game so many times on the GameCube back in the day)
And he blasted through resident evil 2 and 3 remakes too.
I got him RDR2 and he played a couple hours and didn't really play the Xbox for months after that, I can imagine he got bored due to the long traversal times from a to b, but was too polite to say this.
Anyway, I got him Shadow of War for £3 brand new, and this past week he has played over 20 hours, in all my life I've never seen him play a game so much, he has told me he is hooked on the game.

So is there anything else like this I could grab him in the future (for around Christmas time)

Thank you in advance for the suggestions. :)

Last edited:

The Shepard

Ghost of tsuhima.

Sorry missed it was xbox one X

Shadow of mordor

Assassin's creed origins, oddysey, valhalla

Arkham trilogy

And if he likes resident evil maybe try out silent hill HD collection and gears of war 1 remaster which has re4 as an influence.

Vagrant story then FF12 remaster.

Tomb raider reboot to.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

TrueLegend

Shadow of Mordor, AC black flag, Arkham Quardiology.
Edit: Lol i was typing and thinking and the post above got posted. Ac black flag is more easy to get into than origins, odyssey and valhalla plus you can both shoot and stab in this game

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Yeah, the Arkham Series definitely comes to mind.

Mad Max also has similar combat and stuff as well, but also some driving segments. So maybe that may not be up his alley?

Could also give Shadow of Mordor a chance too as it's the previous game!

Also the Assassin's Creed series, as well as Sleeping Dogs, again, if you don't think he'd mind driving segments.

Fbh

Most Ubisoft style open world games really.
Assassins Creed, Mad Max, Arkham, Far Cry (shooter though), etc.

They all have a similar open world structure based around activities like clearing enemy camps.

The newer Assassins Creed games (from Origins onward) do lean a bit more heavily towards the RPG side, though if he doesn't mind a bit more dialog and stuff like loot he might like them too.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Make sure he has Shadow of Mordor and all the expansion packs for both, as there's nothing else with the Nemesis system.
Mad Max, as others have mentioned, also has much to love, and the familiar Arkham combat.
The full Arkham series will be up his alley if it's the combat he loves most. Otherwise, it still has much to love.

Prey (2006), much like Shadow of War, is really good, so he'll probably love it.
If he's hooked on fantasy, there is no more immersive a fantasy world than Skyrim. Maybe surprise him with the Anniversary Edition this November.
For third-person fantasy with wonderful combat, he could try The Witcher 3. It's more fun if you start from the beginning, but he'd need to be comfortable with eurojank and kb/m controls. The Witcher 2's not great. Start with 3.
Dragon's Dogma is another open world fantasy title with exceptional combat.

Kuranghi

+1 for Arkham Quadrilogy but also since he liked Shadow of War, if its the tone of it he liked I think he'll be into the combat in Mad Max and the general brutality of the world. I would also suggest Dead Space 1 and 2 if he's never played them as well, thats more like RE4 ofc.

Kenpachii

i played shadow of war, then got witcher 3 and the combat man was horrible. Luckely ac origin saved my day.

Still i think AC odyssey is the closest in combat

Last edited:
to me nothing really feels as good as those games. To me the closest is SpiderMan. but thats Playstation.

I would go with mad max. tho i like AC Origins. The combat sucks

Aion002

Assassin's Creed Syndicate. Similar combat, fun characters and interesting setting.

If I am not mistaken is on sale (I think that the deal will end tomorrow) on the Xbox store for less than 10 usd.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It's important to know exactly what he likes about the game. If it's strictly the combat, then the Arkham trilogy will be up his alley. If it's the nemesis system, AC Odyssey has something similar but there isn't anything really like that nowadays and future games most likely won't now that WB has a patent on it. If it's the fortress part; I actually can't think of any other game like that actually.

But anyways, the two Shadow games borrowed heavily from the AC series for traversal and stealth along with the Arkham Trilogy for combat so games from those two series will be a good bet. But also note that from AC Syndicate to AC Origins, the game mechanics have shifted quite substantially.

intbal

Anyway, I got him Shadow of War for £3 brand new, and this past week he has played over 20 hours, in all my life I've never seen him play a game so much, he has told me he is hooked on the game.

So is there anything else like this I could grab him in the future (for around Christmas time)

Did he specify what it is that he likes about Shadow of War?
I think the forum could provide you with better answers if we knew precisely what gameplay elements we're supposed to be looking for.

WitchHunter

Banned
Hello fellow neogaf users.
My father used to be quite the avid gamer when I was growing up, I use to watch him play resident evil games, onimusha, Dino Crisis, vagrant story, soul Reaver etc, well till he purchased Dino Crisis 3, he didn't really play games at all after that, he really really disliked that game.
I gave my Xbox One X to my dad last year.
He played through resident evil 4 again (for potentially the millionth time, he must've beat this game so many times on the GameCube back in the day)
And he blasted through resident evil 2 and 3 remakes too.
I got him RDR2 and he played a couple hours and didn't really play the Xbox for months after that, I can imagine he got bored due to the long traversal times from a to b, but was too polite to say this.

CP77

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
i liked shadow of mordor , is shadow of war improved on that ? want to try it
I personally think it's improved on the first in every way. However, it does suffer from the AC Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla syndrome where they give you a ton to do, not all of it is good, and you have to do it to progress the story to the point it becomes a grind. Mind you, I think they patched out a lot of it when they got rid of the microtransactions. I last played before that big patch.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I personally think it's improved on the first in every way. However, it does suffer from the AC Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla syndrome where they give you a ton to do, not all of it is good, and you have to do it to progress the story to the point it becomes a grind. Mind you, I think they patched out a lot of it when they got rid of the microtransactions. I last played before that big patch.
great news , will get it on my PC

TLZ

Banned
Just Cause 3, if he likes blowing stuff up and going full commando. It's quite fun. Haven't tried Just Cause 4 yet.

The others were already recommended above. Shadow of Mordor was my GOTY for that year. Sunk around 120hrs playing it.

Banned
Shadow of War basically used a Copy+Paste version of Batman Arkham's fighting system, and a Copy+Paste version of Assassin's Creed's parkour... so maybe those 2 lol?

anthony2690

Banned
Did he specify what it is that he likes about Shadow of War?
I think the forum could provide you with better answers if we knew precisely what gameplay elements we're supposed to be looking for.
I will have to ask him.
But he did say he enjoyed doing all the side missions, the combat and stuff when he got use too it.
I know he really enjoys lotr anyway though, and he did really enjoy a lotr RPG game on original Xbox back in the day too.

Top Bottom