• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games everyone loved but you?

Good of War 2018
Tried 2 or the times to get into it, farthest I've made it is finishing the light elves world. I get sick of Kratos saying boy about 10 mins into the game. Won't bother with them going forward probably

Agreed. I managed to finish it and felt little enthusiasm. The “boy” speak did get jarring too. Visually impressive to its credit.

Rippa

2 games really:

1. Zelda BoTW because fuck weapon breaking mechanic. Never finished it, never will.

2. Witcher 3 because fuck it’s combat mechanics. (it’s partly my fault though for playing Bloodborne right before it) Never finished it and I remain cautiously optimistic for the next-gen update.

Edit: oh and 3. Hades because fuck glorified mobile games.

Last edited:
This ones always easy, Bloodborne and Souls. Completely understand the appeal, but completely don't want to engage with these kinds of games. Get good, I know I know.

Hades too, love ARPGs, and previous supergiant games, but not into the rogue like format at all.

The sound of bullets, explosions, random radio chatter, flybys and screams vs. The sounds of meat being gashed and slashed, loud female moans (literally has a screeching queen sorceres), men getting their balls squashed, decapitations, random male screams... and of course let's not forget the buttocks... "too loud and violent". Great sarcasm.

uwMnhX2h.jpg

I can only kill butts in third-person. lol

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Soulsborne games
Bioshock
The Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Halo
Goldeneye
Mario
Kirby
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Breath of the Wild
Call of Duty
Star Fox
Metro
God of War
Persona
Dragon Quest
World of Warcraft

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The biggest one would probably be that I dislike BotW even though I am a huge Zelda fan. But the list of games I hate that are generally liked is pretty extensive:
GTA / RDR
Uncharted / TLoU
all FPS
Mass Effect / Dragon Age
Gran Turismo
Forza
Forza Horizon
Metal Gear Solid
Fifa / Madden / PES
Wipeout
LittleBigPlanet (Sackboy is fun though)
Dark Souls / Bloodborne
Monster Hunter
Animal Crossing
Wave Race
Xenoblade
Shenmue / Yakuza
Diablo
Fortnite
Minecraft
SMT / Persona
Dragon Quest
Elder Scrolls
Sims
SimCity
Flight Simulator
Sea of Thieves

I could probably go on for a long while.

TheGrat1

The Last of Us 1. I give it an 8-8.5/10, it's great but people propped it up as though it was this amazing game. I just do not see it. The gunplay was (by design) not crisp and the level design would get frustrating often. Hint to Naughty Dog (because this happens in Uncharted as well): Make it so that stealth is either an option in an area or it is not. Do not let me bust my ass stealthing my way through 15 guys just for reinforcements to show up that instantly know my location, it is really annoying. On top of all that the story was pretty cliché and I never really connected with the characters. The production values are incredible, however. I can not deny that game's overall quality. I will see if I like the sequel more when I get a PS5.

metroid prime that game made me sick with all the puzzles and backtracking
200.gif

id rather play the water temple with my feet
Yeah, I am playing through it and oh boy. Ancient controls, 0 character development, a paper thin plot that has to be scanned off of walls, respawning enemies that are no fun to fight due to the clunky ass controls, etc. It is a chore. I barely know what I am supposed to do and why half the time. The only thing I really like doing is rolling around in Morph Ball mode but it's utility is so limited. :messenger_pensive:
On the bright side: it has nice visuals and atmosphere.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

The biggest one would probably be that I dislike BotW even though I am a huge Zelda fan. But the list of games I hate that are generally liked is pretty extensive:
GTA / RDR
Uncharted / TLoU
all FPS
Mass Effect / Dragon Age
Gran Turismo
Forza
Forza Horizon
Metal Gear Solid
Fifa / Madden / PES
Wipeout
LittleBigPlanet (Sackboy is fun though)
Dark Souls / Bloodborne
Monster Hunter
Animal Crossing
Wave Race
Xenoblade
Shenmue / Yakuza
Diablo
Fortnite
Minecraft
SMT / Persona
Dragon Quest
Elder Scrolls
Sims
SimCity
Flight Simulator
Sea of Thieves

I could probably go on for a long while.
You ever thought of just taking up gardening?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You ever thought of just taking up gardening?
I do have a garden but I hate most plants that are growing in it and spend most time killing them with a pickaxe.

Edit: To be clear: I love video games, but I do not like anything with simulation aspects, I am not a huge fan of combat (though I do like some purely combat focussed games, such as the Platinum games, because they are very fast paced) and I hate busywork (loot, grind). There are a lot of games I like a lot, I have a collection of several hundred games, I just do not like what I have listed above (and several similar games).

Last edited:

GeekyDad

This is the one that always comes to mind for me:
89212_front.jpg

Not terrible, but uninspired, had no heart and soul, and the character loved to get hung up on the environment far too often for my level of patience. Eventually gave up on it after many hours giving it "one more chance" to redeem itself.

Kev Kev

Pretty much every call of duty game. They just always felt cheap, point and click, half assed experiences. It never had those crazy moments or made me feel excited. It was just very competitive, and I’m not really into that. It felt more like who could score the most point, as opposed to who could make some crazy, awesome shit happen. For instance, dive bombing a vehicle into an enemy base, jumping out mid air, guns a blazing, explosions going off everywhere, grabbing the flag, jumping back in said vehicle and somehow making it back to base (but probably not lol). COD always felt more like shoot enemy, run to next cover point, shoot, run, aim, shoot, etc… just not by thing. I don’t care about winning, I just want to be in some crazy moments with explosions and shit.

zombies was fun tho. I played a lot of that.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
One that very much stands out to me is Undertale which I found almost repulsive as a gaming experience. ..Except the music, which I absolutely loved. Bonus game: Hollow Knight, I just don't get it at all.

Disclaimer to the fans of these games: I'm not the center of the universe and don't need every game to conform to my subjective taste. So I'm not saying that any of the games I don't like is trash, I'm not a narcissists like that..

Edit: I forgot Disco Elysium..

Last edited:

Corgi1985

Banned
Yeah have to say Breath of the Wild on this one, just because so many people seem to love it so much. I played for a good amount of hours, explored quite a bit, finished two of the four boss thingies then just kinda got bored and never went back to it. I mean, it was reasonably fun until it started feeling repetitive and boring. It was OK. But a lot of folks have this on their like, best of all time lists and I just don't see it.
BotW is actually just bad video game

MiguelItUp

Basically any battle royale. I just didn't and don't get it.

As a game mode, sure, whatever. But when that's all a game is, it just feels incredibly unappealing. Especially when majority of them are so blatantly similar.

Fbh

Most Rockstar games.
Amazing tech but I just find their gameplay and mission design really lacking.

Fire Emblem Three Houses:
I just want the fun tactical gameplay with a bit of character interactions in between missions. Now half the game is some awful anime highschool simulator

Monster Hunter: any of them.
The combat is fun but I just hate games about grinding/farming.

Honorable mention:

Persona 5.
I didn't dislike it, I finished it after all and that's like 100 hours. But I just don't think it was this incredible GOAT experience. It show up near the top of all "best RPG's ever" lists but I find it hard to agree (maybe top 20).

RAIDEN1

Metal Gear 5 -

Sorry but no-where NEAR as good as the previous instalments - free-roam be damned

Red Dead Redemption - For a change why not go for a native american prespective?

Metroid on Game-cube - looked ok but I just didn't find the hook to it..

Yakuza Kiwami - re-generating health for big enemies who already used up most of your health supplements to try and defeat, whose wise idea was that?

intbal

Prey (2017)

It's... ok.
But so many gamers have priapism over this game that I have to wonder if I didn't get "the patch that made it good".

GuinGuin

Banned
For my money Half-life didn't hold a candle to Deus Ex. Never really liked any Mario or Zelda games either. They just weren't compelling to me.

Wizz-Art

TLoU bored me to death, the beginning scene was so promising, it also was the last PS game I played before I ditched the brand completely.

RafterXL

FF7R is awful. Literally a 10 hour game stretched out into 40 so they could make it a trilogy.

Anyway, that's not why I posted. VALHEIM!!!! With the total gushing about this game, I was totally really to have my doors blown off, but it's not a good game. The worst part is the building, it's the main element to the game and it's horrible. Having recently played two games where you build quite a bit (Fallout 4, NMS) it's tedious and nonsensical. It also doesn't help the game doesn't tell you how to do anything and you have to look up tutorials online.

Top Bottom