• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games everyone loved but you?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I have been gaming for decades on all platforms and all console makers. I feel this gives me an unbiased review from the aspect I really don't care what platform a game appears on. It would be a really long list if I included everything but just will include a few of my recent choices and not games from long past generations. Feel free to share your list but here is mine:

The Dark Souls series or any super difficult game like it: (Nioh/Bloodborne for example) These games seem to lack any kind of fun at all while the stories are just bizarre. I find them a chore to play.

Breath of the Wild: This game lacked many basic features that 3d open world games have lacked for years. NO fast travel, The open world is barron of activity and life, No quick button to cook, cooking is essential and not really an option, just bland overall. Take a game like the Witcher 3 and it takes a big giant dog shit on a game like breath of the wild. It got a pass because it had the Zelda name on it but comparing it to similiar type of open world games like the Witcher,Skyrim, etc) it's not even close. I love the Zelda franchise but do not like BOTW.

Horizon Zero Dawn: Love the Story but hate the gameplay. The weapons aren't fun to use, the combat is clunky at times, collecting is never ending, while game was just flat out boring. I tapped out after 10 hours.

Call of Duty Warzone: It could be that I played the original call of duty 4 and probably 8 sequels every year after it released but I am just burned out on the series. Outside of having an open field option its still the basic gameplay.

Madden/NBA2k: Mostly the same game every year with slight roster updates. Their bread and butter is trying to hook you on ultimate team where you have to buy virtual currency to be competitive.

Halo 4/5: I loved halo 1, 2, 3. I thought the series was done after 3 but here comes the 343 variation of Halo. While not horrible it feels like playing a shell of a better product. To me, Halo died after part 3.

Just a small list but may continue later.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The only game I liked on this list was The Order 1886.....sony completely lost me with this rubbish

15xe5elvqxt51.jpg

molasar

Banned
Street Fighter 2 and its iterations. Aesthetically it was not good enough for me.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Every game Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo ever published. Yes, I am the person you heard of and warned about on the playground as kids.

P.S. I'm adding Sega on the hate list too. Cause I can.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
Breath of the Wild: This game lacked many basic features that 3d open world games have lacked for years. NO fast travel...

A don't like BOTW and it's been a long time since I last played it, but I'm pretty sure it has fast travel, otherwise I would have dropped it.

PS: we already have a very similar thread to this, so maybe you can post there?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Assasins Creed Origins. Every Halo game after Halo 3. Every Naughty Dog game other than TLOU1. Hyper Light Drifter.

Sometimes I feel like I’m subconsciously just a contrarian shitter but man I really do not get the hype for a lot of games.

SSfox

Fortnite, Apex, Pubg.

I would add maybe COD and BF, i played a game on each, that was cool but i can't see myself buying those each year and spend a lot of time with those kind of games, there's so much more better games that are way more worth imo.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
How many threads do we need about not "liking popular things"? I mean how this thread is different than this?

How many threads do we need about not "liking popular things"? I mean how this thread is different than this?

Hey! yeah you! Thanks for the shoutout! You really are as nice as your information implies!

For me it's AC Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla, basically the rebooted AC franchise, it's terrible and flat out boring IMHO

Another one for me is BOTW, while I put in 50ish hours, half of it, I had to watch walkthroughs to solve shrines/puzzles and when a game requires me to stop every second and look at my phone for help, I get bored real fast. I also agree for an open world game, it's pretty empty.

It's nowhere near as good as OOT or Twilight Princess, hell I'm having more fun with Skyward Sword HD as we speak

kiphalfton

Every game Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo ever published. Yes, I am the hater.
An equal opportunity hater. I like it.

On that note, I don't get the enduring love for the vast majority of Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo games. I.E. Gears of War, Halo, Forza, Uncharted/LOU, HZD, Days Gone, BOTW, Mario Odyssey. It's Good, but not the "knock your socks off, that was the best game ever" reception I see.

Call of Duty, Killzone, I tried them, too loud and violent for my old grandpa ears.
I prefer me some Mortal Kombat and third-person games where I can see my character's buttocks. :)

Good of War 2018
Tried 2 or the times to get into it, farthest I've made it is finishing the light elves world. I get sick of Kratos saying boy about 10 mins into the game. Won't bother with them going forward probably

I won't say I didn't enjoy the reboot at all, but it rubbed me the wrong way in many ways, especially in comparison to the original Greek mythos. (And I love Norse mythology.) They castrated Kratos. Yeah, yeah, "He was so one dimensional." But he was a one-dimensional, rage-soaked killing machine that was cathartic to embody.

New stay-at-home-dad Kratos and that kid were utterly tedious and at-odds with what made GOW so fun imho.

I did love the axe and the combat though. It was very fun.

Corgi1985

Banned

Not liking BotW should belong in every thread

GametimeUK

God of War for PS4.

I liked it, but didn't love it as much as everyone else seems to. I guess I'm such a fan of the older games that I struggle to appreciate the new game for what it is. The combat is just such a downgrade to me (not like it was anything particularly special compared to DMC etc). I hate the zoomed in camera and the fact if you press down on the analogue stick Kratos walks backwards instead of doing a 180 and running towards the camera.

I mean I get the old formula was ran into the ground and I hadn't played GoW Ascension until recently because of franchise fatigue, but I ended up liking it more than GoW PS4.

I dunno, I seem to criticise the game for not being what I want it to be which is bad on my part, but if I look past that I still don't think the game is anything special other than the production is amazing and moments occasionally feel epic.

Fahdis

Call of Duty, Killzone, I tried them, too loud and violent for my old grandpa ears.
I prefer me some Mortal Kombat and third-person games where I can see my character's buttocks. :)
The sound of bullets, explosions, random radio chatter, flybys and screams vs. The sounds of meat being gashed and slashed, loud female moans (literally has a screeching queen sorceres), men getting their balls squashed, decapitations, random male screams... and of course let's not forget the buttocks... "too loud and violent". Great sarcasm.

Codes 208

Halo 4/5: I loved halo 1, 2, 3. I thought the series was done after 3 but here comes the 343 variation of Halo. While not horrible it feels like playing a shell of a better product. To me, Halo died after part 3.

Just a small list but may continue later.
Um. You know this is actually the common train of thought for the halo community right?

Last edited:

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
I never liked GTA games or Ubisoft games.

Yes all of them. I wish I joking, but I am not even trying to troll or to be a contrarian.

Bought a bunch of them, including GTAV and all the various AC and Far Cry. Boring.

Although to be honest here Far Cry 2 was cool for a while. Its probably one of the best, but it gets repetitive after a while.

Mossybrew

Yeah have to say Breath of the Wild on this one, just because so many people seem to love it so much. I played for a good amount of hours, explored quite a bit, finished two of the four boss thingies then just kinda got bored and never went back to it. I mean, it was reasonably fun until it started feeling repetitive and boring. It was OK. But a lot of folks have this on their like, best of all time lists and I just don't see it.

Last edited:
Yeah have to say Breath of the Wild on this one, just because so many people seem to love it so much. I played for a good amount of hours, explored quite a bit, finished two of the four boss thingies then just kinda got bored and never went back to it. I mean, it was reasonably fun until it started feeling repetitive and boring. It was OK. But a lot of folks have this on their like, best of all time lists and I just don't see it.
It would not bother me so much if they were so rabid about it. Game FAQs Zelda board is terrible for this.

Pretty much all the most popular games:

- Pretty much every FPS. I've played a few campaigns that I liked though. Only FPS I was into MP was the first Destiny. Got tired of it after 6 weeks.

- Forced myself to beat Red Dead Redemption 2. So.overrated in my opinion.

- Never touched an Assassin's Creed game after the first one. Fool me once...I don't think I've missed much, not my style of gameplay.

- I used to play sports but it's been decades. I don't know what happened, probably has to do with my overall lost of interest in sports though I still watch them but not nearly as much as I used to.

Mr Hyde

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

My least favorite Zelda's. I didn't find them fun at all, especially Majora's which I dropped pretty fast. I managed to finish Ocarina but I have never returned to it after beating once. Probably the most overrated game of all time.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Call of Duty and most Battlefield games after Bad Company 2.

I recently picked up Groundbranch by Microprose, which is the game that REALLY deserves the 'Tom Clancy' moniker. Not ... XDefiant, lol. I miss the old proper tactical shooters like TC Ravenshield. Was very happy to find Groundbranch.

Daily "Insert BOTW here" comment.

Also HZD...It was a good game ,but if made by ubisoft I feelt it would have been considered more in the low 80's territory. Very typical open world game.

TheTurboFD

Persona 5, my first entry into the series but I just felt bored playing it. Not saying it's a bad game, just didn't hold my interest.

-hadouken

Bioshock - clunky crud, and that stops me from enjoying any story
Halo 3 (loved 1&2) Insipid sounding and feeling weapons, mediocre visuals
Donkey Kong Country Returns & Freeze - ugly, clunky and no flow like the SNES games

junguler

Banned
anything nintendo does, we had a nes that i played on a lot and enjoyed most of the games but never felt the need to play any of their other consoles. i wasn't even curious enough about those games to try them on a emulator either. i wouldn't say i hate nintendo games or anything tho, i'm just indifferent to them.

rolandss

Any Souls game. Can’t get into it. Just got the new Ratchet and Clank, I played about an hour and I’m not liking it. I’ll probably sell it. Last of Us 2. Not because of the controversial story parts people hate but the drudgery of the setting. Also formula is a little thin. I’ll try pass that one though maybe itll click. AC Valhalla I’ve found to be a massive disappointment, most of all the combat.

Top Bottom