• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gameranx - 10 Video Game Graphics From The 90s and 2000s That STILL Hold Up.

Cattlyst

Hmm. I was expecting games from the 2000s but most of these are from the 2010s and only a generation ago. a well made video of course, but I was expecting stuff like N64 Perfect Dark, Wave Race, GC Rogue Squadron, Dreamcast Ecco and MGS 2 etc. Nice nod to Resident Evil on GC though. Game looked mindblowing at the time. Thanks OP.

Last edited:

TexMex

Bioshock, REmake and Uncharted 2 were my picks before hitting play, glad they're all there.

Would also include Metroid Prime. Art design really helped keep that one timeless, still looks great.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Dammit, I saw that and now all I can think of is Half Life 3 or a Half Life 2 remake. Fuck you, Valve. Seriously. You create arguably the greatest game ever made and hit the road. Everyone fucking wants it, just give it to us.

As for games that hold up, anything cell shaded or hand drawn graphically.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Half-Life 2's visuals only aged well because they were so dull in the first place. Not much luster to lose.

Naibel

Just played Rallisport Challenge 2 on the original Xbox. With the OSSC, the right component cables and a softmoded PAL machine displaying 480p, it looks insanely good for a 15 year-old game ! Soul Calibur 2 also looks gorgeous in 720p, so that would count as well.

Oh, and there's also Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon Orta, DOA 3, Outrun 2, Splinter Cell CT (showed in the video), they still look fantastic. God bless the original, ugly, fatass Xbox !

Games with strong art direction also age very well : TF2 as showed in the vid, but also Zelda Wind Waker, SMT : Nocturne or Jet Set Radio. I now cringe at my young self for not liking cell-shading at the time.

Last edited:

RobRSG

For MGS4. I couldn't disagree more.
Game is low res, low frame rate, would definitely benefit from a remaster or a PC version.

There are great examples given in the 2000s video. People may or may not agree, but I think that S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway also aged gracefully.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno but FFXIII still looks great. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom