• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameplay wise, which era/generation of Assassin's Creed games you do prefer?

Which era/generation do you prefer for gameplay?

• Total voters

Fahdis

Parkour & Stealth go to Unity.
Fighting goes to AC3 and Unity.
Story goes to AC, Ezio Trilogy and Origins.
World goes to AC, Ezio Trilogy, Unity and Origins... maybe Odyssey and Black Flag too.
Gameplay Mechanics that made me enjoy the game was Brotherhood and Black Flag.
Best MP is also Brotherhood.

Last edited:
Odyssey by far.
People wouldn’t shit on that game if it was done by another developer and didn’t have AC in the title. A really fun game. Especially if you have interest in Ancient Greece.

MetalRain

I liked Syndicate the most, while newer games look better, having random loot kind of ruins it.

There is no control over where you want to progress towards since you always want to use weapon with biggest numbers.

iHaunter

No idea why unrelated games are clumped together. Black Flag was very different from 3 and Rogue.

My favorite by far was Black Flag.

daveonezero

Banned
I really only played 2 and Brotherhood.

I missed Black Flag but as far as setting AC3 is the most appealing but I haven’t pulled the trigger on the Switch version as it is sort of mixed.

Reading this maybe I’ll get it. I wish it wa sin the pack with Black Flag.

I'll first say I never played Rogue or Valhalla, but that being said 3 of my 4 favorite AC games are in the same grouping (Ezio trilogy, the other being Syndicate), and my least favorite 2 AC games are in the same grouping (3/Black Flag). Honestly for me there is a very easy ranking of those 5 "types" of AC games. Ezio Trilogy >>>>> Unity/Syndicate >>>AC1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> new ones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3/Black Flag.

I know it's probably a minority opinion but once they started adding sailing and a big emphasis on it, AC started going way downhill. The newer games had potential and I was excited they were revamping the combat, but instead it became way too reliant on levels and gear, as well as "how big can we make the world". I'm hoping they do another hard shift in the AC formula back to where stealth and assassinations played a primary role in the gameplay, but I'm not holding my breath

I just wish they had carried Unity's parkour on up further. Parkour was so fun in that game, and that was pretty much the last time it was good in the series.

Parkour & Stealth go to Unity.
Fighting goes to AC3 and Unity.
Story goes to AC, Ezio Trilogy and Origins.
World goes to AC, Ezio Trilogy, Unity and Origins... maybe Odyssey and Black Flag too.
Gameplay Mechanics that made me enjoy the game was Brotherhood and Black Flag.
Best MP is also Brotherhood.
What mechanics does brotherhood have in its single player that sets it a part. It gets a lot of praise but having not played it yet, and only seen it previewed from back in the day it seemed to just have npc characters that join you. Like hiring thieves, mercenaries or harlots. Am I missing something?

The original was the most ambitious, and purest in terms of vision, but got boring quick. From 2 on the Ezio trilogy had the best story (or maybe the only coherent story you could get invested in). Didn't like the next 3 but Black Flag was a fun pirate sim. Unity had (and still has) the best graphics and parkour. Origins has one of the most impressive worlds I'd ever seen in a game (Odyssey too much cut and paste, Valhalla doesn't have the Egyptian mystique). So basically all of them are good in some way but very repetitive overall as far as games go.

BornToRisen

Neo Member
Guess many people didn't read the title properly because AC2 trilogy rated the highest lmao. It is a chore to play. Unity/Syndicate has the best gameplay while Origins onward is the worst because of the spongy enemy.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
This is difficult. I enjoyed the old ones and absolutely loved Origins. Hated Odyssey and Valhalla though with the bloat introduced.

Pagusas

Elden Member
strictly gameplay wise it would be odyssey, but everything else (story/narrative/structure/flow) would be Ezio era, and Black Flag for the best game in the series.

Last edited:

Pejo

I liked most of them as I was playing them in order of release, but Black Flag is the best, in my opinion. I admit, I have a hard time separating the setting from the gameplay though, and Black Flag's setting is probably one of my favorite in all of videogames. I still to this day think they left a ton of money on the table by not doing a sea monsters DLC.

Top Bottom