• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameplay structure in Final Fantasy VII Remake sucks!

Notabueno

Banned
There's times when it works and times when it unfortunately doesn't.

RuREsY.jpg

This. This is what I found absolutely mediocre and terrible in the remake.

Combat is fun but repetitive as fuck. I wish they had less enemies and more bosses. But not as grindy...games enemies are too bullet spongey. I couldnt beat it cause I got sick of the combat.

Lethal01

Combat is fun but repetitive as fuck. I wish they had less enemies and more bosses. But not as grindy...games enemies are too bullet spongey. I couldnt beat it cause I got sick of the combat.

My problem is everything died to fast so I just stopped upgrading my weapons.

Yeah, definitely not even close to the reputation it has on forums. Not only is it vastly inferior to it’s action game and action rpg counterparts, it just isn’t a very good game overall. It feels like a 30 hour demo on autopilot at times, which wouldn’t be bad, but dirty ass Squeenix took advantage of nostalgia to sell this turd.

I don't hate the combat as much as you do but I kind of agree with you, SE still trying to be both action and turn based RPG and in my opinion it just not working out. In FF7R you don't have the same control as turn based and at same time dodging, blocking and arial combat doesn't feel good like proper action RPG, they basically stuck between the the two.
Thirded. Every time I see people post how great the combat is I want to recommend stuff like YS9 or Scarlet Nexus; innovative and fresh types of games with solid gameplay. I’m uber salty that those two titles get overlooked so often.

SkylineRKR

I feel like I'm the only one who hates the combat. Worthless basic attacks to charge up a bar to do real damage, and your teammates bars never charge up without you controlling them. Then you go into a turn based attack menu.

I enjoyed the original, but I hated FF7R. The story was interesting though. I'll watch the movie on YouTube when they all finally come out.

I liked it once it clicked. I don't mind you have to build all ATB yourself by switching around, this also changes aggro and can be used to your advantage. When bars are built you can let the AI do desired stuff with L2 or R2 while you do your own. This means you can also easily heal or buff your party while fighting. I still feel I control them all, one of my fears would be that this would be removed with real time battles.

What I hate are those boss tresholds resetting stagger, wasting your atb or limit, along with a time wasting cutscene. Let me kill a boss in one stagger sequence if i'm good enough.

RCU005

Because leveling materia is slow. You get materia to level up faster later on in the game, but by that time it's too late.

In your first play through you can be at the later chapters and still have many materia in low levels. This game is definitely designed to be enjoyed until the second play through (new game +) which is very odd.

In an open world with the ability to fight many enemies would make the leveling materia easier and faster. Even if the level meter is slow, you can "farm" it organically. This is something that you can't to in this game.

For example: I'm currently in Chapter 9. I still have two swords (I don't remember if I missed one). I only have two healing materia max level, the MP up and HP up take so much time to level up that by the time I finish the game it's going to be in half.

An open world game would make it for a more fun way to level up materia and everything else.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
An open world game would make it for a more fun way to level up materia and everything else.
After FFXV, I haver ZERO desire for open world, I rather they go with DQXI or Tales of Arise structure.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I enjoyed FFVIIR but it has flaws that like to see fixed in part 2.

Oh, for sure, nothing is perfect. Quests could have been done differently, and pacing could have been better, and aerial combat needs work, but I can't help but feel like a lot of people's issues with FFVIIR is that it didn't match up to what was in their head.

I think that FF7 is great. Best combat system in FF franchise.
It's basically a prologue, but hot damn I had a blast playing it. I didn't ejoyed a FF game for nearly two decades. Big Kudos to the team, they nailed it.
Story wise the ending was a train wreck but I didn't expected any better from them, I am at the point where I just try to laugh at the weird writing.

Nezzeroth

Because leveling materia is slow. You get materia to level up faster later on in the game, but by that time it's too late.

In your first play through you can be at the later chapters and still have many materia in low levels. This game is definitely designed to be enjoyed until the second play through (new game +) which is very odd.

In an open world with the ability to fight many enemies would make the leveling materia easier and faster. Even if the level meter is slow, you can "farm" it organically. This is something that you can't to in this game.

For example: I'm currently in Chapter 9. I still have two swords (I don't remember if I missed one). I only have two healing materia max level, the MP up and HP up take so much time to level up that by the time I finish the game it's going to be in half.

What you want is the ability to grind, that has nothing to do with the game being open world though.

And I don't think the progression system is meant for an open world game at all. The game just feels designed with the idea that people will want to play it a second time on the hardest difficulty, which is definitely strange and why you won't reach max level on everything by the time to finish the game. It's also why bosses have certain mechanics exclusive to hard mode, while the original fights feel much more simple and boring by comparison.

It's weird, but intentional. Probably a side effect of the game being shorter than what people expected.

MiguelItUp

Hmm the only time I was ever bothered by the gameplay in anyway was on Chapter 14(?) where you had to return to an area. I thought that broke up the pacing and it tired me out on the design of the game. Other than that, I had no problem with its linearity or the slower moments of the game where you're mostly just walking. Probably because I was already invested in the characters and world where I enjoy such segments. Other than that, the balance of exploration and straight up combat was OK with me. Then again, I don't place much important or value in being able to replay a game.

It's not going to be the same at all in Part 2 anyway.
Yeah, this is basically how I felt. I enjoyed the game enough to see it all the way through. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. But I had no intention of replaying it or anything of the sort. I was curious about the DLC, but I figured I'd just wait. I'm not SUPER hyped about part 2, but I'm sure I'll check it out at some point after it releases.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The whole game sucked IMO. FF series is just so bad now. XV, VIIR, 13 trilogy. Shame on me for still buying them but damn I wanted all those games to be good and they just aren’t. Not falling for it again with XVI.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Never questioned it but the Yuffie DLC has the main party skip the world map via CG cutscene straight to Kalm.

Suss as fuck that like.

AmuroChan

I'm in the camp that FF7R was very good, but that's about as far as I go. There are just too many flaws that I found annoying and it ultimately lessened my enjoyment of the game.

RCU005

I loved the remake so I don't agree at all with this opinion.
I loved it too. The first time I played it!

This thread is about playing it the second time starting from 0. When you already know the story, and start noticing the flaws of the game. Like how the game doesn't let you go faster or how slow it takes to actually get good materia, etc.

The first time you play it, it's not that noticeable because you are amazed at the game and are following the story.

Ryu Kaiba

I absolutely adored 7 Remake the characterizations were excellently portrayed and midgar had some beautiful music and views.
Some of my favorite parts were just being Cloud and playing out scenes as if I were him. When Aeriths mom kicked me out I rp walked out of town just enjoying the sector at night and shocked to see Aerith was waiting for me at the end of the road. I had many weird moments like that that made me feel like myself and Cloud were one in the same, and its things like that that make games truly special to me.

NahaNago

I barely even remember the gameplay. One of the issues I had with this game was that we kept getting glimpses of a much bigger city or junkyard but we never really get to explore those areas and the areas we do get to go into are just linear paths for you to walk down. Squareenix needs to work on building towns and cities. You saw how bare FF15 towns were in how you couldn't enter buildings and now we have FF7 with it's linear paths and barely any buildings to enter.

A good starting point for them I guess would be a town. I wanted to say a city but that seems like it would be to much for them. They want to create these large worlds but they are so bare. So create a small town with the church, homes, grocery stores, gas station, hotels, weapons store, ranch, farms, mansions, and cemetery. They have the characters visuals pretty much down. They could even go smaller and create a village.

93xfan

Banned
Loved this game so dearly until I realized about 2/3 of the way through what this was…

Loved all the changes up to that point.

Swift_Star

Banned
I barely even remember the gameplay. One of the issues I had with this game was that we kept getting glimpses of a much bigger city or junkyard but we never really get to explore those areas and the areas we do get to go into are just linear paths for you to walk down. Squareenix needs to work on building towns and cities. You saw how bare FF15 towns were in how you couldn't enter buildings and now we have FF7 with it's linear paths and barely any buildings to enter.

A good starting point for them I guess would be a town. I wanted to say a city but that seems like it would be to much for them. They want to create these large worlds but they are so bare. So create a small town with the church, homes, grocery stores, gas station, hotels, weapons store, ranch, farms, mansions, and cemetery. They have the characters visuals pretty much down. They could even go smaller and create a village.
I'm glad it's linear. FF games are at their best when they're linear, like they always have been and they achieved peak level design with xii, which I believe the remake sequels will follow, wide linear areas.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm glad it's linear. FF games are at their best when they're linear, like they always have been and they achieved peak level design with xii, which I believe the remake sequels will follow, wide linear areas.

I'm kind of glad that FF is such an anthology. There's certain similarities between titles, but it's one of those franchises that remains consistently inconsistent to the point where everyone has their favorite and everyone has one (or more) that they'd rather pass on. I know a lot of people are like SQUARE HAS GONE DOWNHILL, but I appreciate that variety. I'm easy to please and have brain damage, though, so.

BaneIsPain

I like tbh as I started the integrade after finishing Kena . The only thing I don't like it the pull-up challenge pro or the need to refill ATB to use items.

RCU005

This thread is trash as a whole. I saw the post when it first went up and didn't want to bump it as its clear it was written by a child, but for all these people to hop on the bandwagon. its just shameful.
And yet, you took time of your sad life to comment on this trash of a thread, so what does that make you?

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

And yet, you took time of your sad life to comment on this trash of a thread, so what does that make you?
Look at what you wrote, talking in circles rambling on and on about how you're upset the game on the 2nd playthrough is still the same game. You sound 12. There is new game plus, there is chapter select. If you don't want to replay certain sections again then don't. No one cares about your fake trophies.

NahaNago

I don't mind linear FF since I do love 7-10 but this game's linear world is absolutely boring. Since they aren't using the budget to make this massive open world game then then the area or path you journeyed through should have been packed with unique detail and charm to make you want to explore each nook and cranny.

It does make sense that this world would be empty when you consider squareenix personally worked on the game for 2 and a half years while also working on kingdom hearts 3 plus all of the other smaller games.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So FF XIII the best game in the series then or?

rollright

Neo Member
Remake was better than I expected but the bad parts of the game are ludicrously bad, worse I think than even the most skeptical critics thought. The original was much tighter and kept a perfect rhythm of story and gameplay, changing gears often enough than neither layer could become dull. The only time it really lagged was the Kalm flashback and even that sequence was riveting on a first playthrough. Remake suffers badly from what the rubes claimed to want, which is a deeper dive into C-tier character backstories and more boring filler quests in the city of Midgar. It's a shame that this crap has become so essential to modern game design.

sephiroth7x

After finally getting round the playing Persona 5 - I can honestly say if they should have taken that approach with the FFVII remake. The turn based combat and the whole world building and 'fun' even with serious issues is amazing. Even the voice acting was brilliant in comparison to the OTT anime grunts of FFVII. Then again, I still enjoyed the remake so - not complaining too much.

Top Bottom