• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass on PC question.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I built my kids a new PC today (3700x and a 5700xt) and was looking at game pass for PC and had a question about account sharing. I have 3 other computers that are okish and can probably play lots of the game pass stuff but I don't want to buy multiple passes. Can we buy a single gamepass and share it from my account to the kids accounts?

I've been out of PC gaming for literally years so I'm new to all of this.

elliot5

I believe account sharing works when the accounts are shared on that device. Meaning your account has the windows PC the "home PC" for your account, and your kid's windows accounts are essentially the guest accounts on that PC sharing the privileges.

You can't spread it across like, 2 PCs and a laptop with your kids sharing it like a Spotify Family Plan.

Hopefully Microsoft comes out with a family sharing plan that's more simple like adding emails to it

longdi

Banned
Yes i believe you need to setup all 3 PC with the same Windows account login as the Gamepass one.

I am not sure if you can login and use Gamepass simultaneously though.

There is this 3 years Gamepass thing still working

Ev1L AuRoN

I use my account on my PC and my daughter's, I just need to log in my account com Windows Store, She even uses her own xbox live account on the xbox app. EA Play games need you to use the same account but the regular ones works with another account logged in the xbox app.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I believe account sharing works when the accounts are shared on that device. Meaning your account has the windows PC the "home PC" for your account, and your kid's windows accounts are essentially the guest accounts on that PC sharing the privileges.

You can't spread it across like, 2 PCs and a laptop with your kids sharing it like a Spotify Family Plan.

Hopefully Microsoft comes out with a family sharing plan that's more simple like adding emails to it
Ahh bummer. I was hoping it was like every other sharing plan. Steam does this I think for games. Looks like epic does not yet.

elliot5

Seems like they can have their own Xbox accounts as long as the main Store/Windows account is the subbed one. Similar to console.

As soon as you add multiple PCs into the mix they'll need separate subs for now tho

GHG

Gold Member

Seems like they can have their own Xbox accounts as long as the main Store/Windows account is the subbed one. Similar to console.

As soon as you add multiple PCs into the mix they'll need separate subs for now tho

You can do it with multiple PC's. As long as the PC's you want to use the sub on appear on this list then you should be good to go.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yes i believe you need to setup all 3 PC with the same Windows account login as the Gamepass one.

Hmmm, that is super tempting....

longdi

Banned
You can do it with multiple PC's. As long as the PC's you want to use the sub on appear on this list then you should be good to go.

nice! so the steps for OP are

All 3 accounts need to have a MS account, no local account in Windows 10
OP main account subs to Gamepass.
OP add his kids MS accounts into his MS Family
Kids just need to login their own Xbox App account = which is tied to their own MS account, to access their Dad Gamepass.

GHG

Gold Member

Kids just need to login their own Xbox App account = which is tied to their own MS account, to access their Dad Gamepass.

That's basically it in a nutshell apart from the first part - all 3 PC's need to be logged in via the OP's primary Microsoft account. So when he opens the windows store on all those PC's it should show his name being signed in.

From there he can download the Xbox app on each PC and the kids can log in to their own accounts via that app but still have access to his gamepass subscription.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

That seems pretty stellar, might have to give it try. The live deal above works still too?

M16

one way to play non online gamepass games across multiple pcs without a need to be logged into the sub account

launch the game once while logged in to the gamepass account, then quit.
launch the game and login with a diff non gamepass account.
game works for 30 days without a need to login anymore with the gamepass account.

CLW

My 6 year old son is starting to get into video games (mainly racing right now because the controls are fairly straight forward) We have been enjoying the open world games on PS (NFS The Crew). He has seen Forza on Youtube and REALLY wants to play it. I''m a Sony Pony and no real desire to buy an Xbox to go along with my PS5 for the limited games it would provide for us.

However, I have a somewhat old gaming PC and not sure if it can handle games like Forza (and Gears for me) on Gamepass. Its has a 1070 i8700 3.2GHz and 16GB.

What kind of settings/experience am I looking at should I take the dive and purchase the subscription?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

welshrat

you can use it across 3 PCs, I used to have it setup like this however only 2 machines can use it at the same time, i.e. if you wanted to play sea of thieves together one would get kicked. In the end I purchased 2 subs

this right here. i did this and was able to play gamepass on my xbox and then at same time gamepass on my pc with another account in my family settings.

go to account.microsoft.com and on the top ribbon to far right is "family"
click add a family member and follow the prompts to add their unique emails.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Another gamepass question. I was thinking about getting a series s for my kids and getting gamepass but would that also get the PC gamepass? Essentially would one subscription cover both PC and Xbox?

nemiroff

Gold Member
Another gamepass question. I was thinking about getting a series s for my kids and getting gamepass but would that also get the PC gamepass? Essentially would one subscription cover both PC and Xbox?

"Gamepass" (technically it's called "Gamepass Console") is only console, "Gamepass Ultimate" (+$5) is both console and PC .

With a single Ultimate plan my son can play Gamepass games with his account on the console at the same time as I can play the same games on my account on my PC. This is how we do co-op in Sea of Thieves together. So in my experience it works quite well.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
"Gamepass" is only console, "Gamepass Ultimate" is both console and PC.

There's also "gamepass for PC" which is a PC only subscription.

If you want access across both PC and console ultimate is the only option.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'm signed up gamepass Ultimate right now and have it on the Xbox and the PC. On the Xbox I was able to add the kids profiles easy peasy however when I went to add it to the PC it wouldn't (or more likely I didn't do it right). Can I add their Microsoft profiles to the gamepass app on PC or is that not possible?

twilo99

I did the 3 year thing, its amazing value.

Null Persp

You need to sign on the Microsoft Store App with the account that has Game Pass ultimate, then you can use other accounts with the Game Pass App and download the games.

REDRZA MWS

On the topic of pc and game pass, I tried to download DOOM eternal on game pass on my pc, the drive location has sort of a “() not specified” or something to that effect. Problem is it won’t let me select a drive at all. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I have 4 drives, m.2, Samsung 2TB SSD, and a 4th HDD. None show or are selectable.

Game pass Ultimate btw.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
On the topic of pc and game pass, I tried to download DOOM eternal on game pass on my pc, the drive location has sort of a “() not specified” or something to that effect. Problem is it won’t let me select a drive at all. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I have 4 drives, m.2, Samsung 2TB SSD, and a 4th HDD. None show or are selectable.

Game pass Ultimate btw.

Don't know, but you can optionally try to launch the Microsoft Store app and see if you can install it from there (it should recognize that you have a GP sub).

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Game pass Ultimate btw.
So this is what I was able to find. Hopefully you're comfortable with regedit:

Also saw on there to test out installing from the windows store and see if it recognizes your drives there. Note that it won't cost you anything because Windows Store is aware that you have Game Pass Ultimate.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Another PC question. My daughter wants her own account on the PC which is fine but will she still get access to all my steam and gamepass stuff when she logs in to her account on the PC?

Another PC question. My daughter wants her own account on the PC which is fine but will she still get access to all my steam and gamepass stuff when she logs in to her account on the PC?
She's unlikely to have access to your GP saves no, unless you share your account. Is it even possible to transfer saves from one acc to another? Idk, you can contact MS, but be prepared to have multiple questions already written down - they are pretty helpful.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
She's unlikely to have access to your GP saves no, unless you share your account. Is it even possible to transfer saves from one acc to another? Idk, you can contact MS, but be prepared to have multiple questions already written down - they are pretty helpful.
Not saves, just the games

Top Bottom