• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamePass isn't for everyone and that's something alot of people don't get

Pinktaco

Gamepass is fine, but there are absolutely people who have no interest in it.

Lots of people with kids, sports, house and full time job may not be able to play as much as some others. Personally Im fine with playing games when I have time and accept that I won't play the latest games one day one, as such I often buy games physically, when they are considerably cheaper.

With that said im interested to see where this goes, i.e. Will the service/quality change, once it is thoroughly established.
From personal experience I seem to remember that PS+ offered more quality games when it release, compared to what we often see now. But perhaps Im just remembering wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Grinchy

Banned
It's a great deal for people who buy every game day 1 for full price. But if you really add it up for a full generation, $10/month for a 6 year generation is $720. If they raise the price a few years in, then the total cost is somewhere between $720 and $1,000. And that's to own absolutely nothing and to have nothing you can play anymore as soon as you stop paying the subscription.

I don't think everyone is the "buy every full priced game on day 1" type, so it's true that it's not the right deal for everyone. At this point, you can wait 3 months after a game releases and many times it's 50-60% off. You can buy used copies of a game you weren't sure about a year or more later. Lots of people just want digital games, and that's fine. We have seen some really crazy digital sales come from this generation too, though.

The number of games you actually care about playing and the price you'd actually pay for them may not really equal out to the cost of a subscription that leaves you with nothing once you stop paying.

RPS37

1. I have a huge backlog on PlayStation AND Xbox.
  2. I don’t really have that much time to play, but I still kind of like to collect.
  3. If I really want to play a game, I can afford to buy it day one full price.
  4. Games I want to play tend to not be on Gamepass.

Knightime_X

What does that mean?
I love video games. I love to buy a physical disc, sometimes even a collectors edition, put it in my shelf and adore my collection.

You can love games if you like Game Pass.
You can also love games if you don't like/need Game Pass, though.
I think the joke went over your head.
You'd have to NOT enjoy video games to not want gamepass.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
What I'm really interested in is how much developers earn from their games being on GamePass and similar services.
It is well known that artists don't earn shit on platforms like Spotify if they aren't extremely big and must find other revenues like Merch and concerts - the latter being an obvious problem right now.

I could easily imagine GP being a huge problem especially for indie devs - if it ever became the standard like Spotify, etc. became for music.

In the end, this ease of use and low cost which benefits consumers could just end up harming small-time developers, forcing them to find other ways of monetization, and yes that means MTX.

"But they don't have to be on GP!"
The same thing was said once about artists on Spotify.

DavidGzz

What I'm really interested in is how much developers earn from their games being on GamePass and similar services.
It is well known that artists don't earn shit on platforms like Spotify if they aren't extremely big and must find other revenues like Merch and concerts - the latter being an obvious problem right now.

I could easily imagine GP being a huge problem especially for indie devs - if it ever became the standard like Spotify, etc. became for music.

In the end, this ease of use and low cost which benefits consumers could just end up harming small-time developers, forcing them to find other ways of monetization, and yes that means MTX.

"But they don't have to be on GP!"
The same thing was said once about artists on Spotify.

Actually, Indi devs would benefit the most from it. MS could easily cover their development cost compared to the AAA games. It also would give them more exposure on top of that and anyone who likes the game enough can buy it at a discount before it leaves the service.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
MS could easily cover their development cost compared to the AAA games.
Yes, MS could. Would they, though? And why?
If history has taught us anything, it's that subscription platforms like Netflix & Spotify cheap out on any project that isn't directly theirs.
They need to make money with it, after all, and they can't do that if they just outright pay everyone's development costs. Which is cheaper for indies, sure, but there are MANY indies.

I know GamePass isn't supposed to have every game (and some games are only there for a limited time).
I just hope it stays that way and doesn't become a standard like in other entertainment media.

SaucyJack

They announced over 10 million subscribers in April, and a few days ago Satya reported "record growth" in the past quarter.

What do you think, if mobile phones are added in September as a means to subscribe to Game Pass and consume its content, will the subscriber numbers shrink or grow?

If Instagram integration via web browser is eventually added as a means to subscribe to Game Pass and consume its content, will the subscriber numbers shrink or grow?

Here’s a little thought experiment.

Assume that all of those 10000000 are paying $15/month for ultimate (they’re not) and that by pushing it hard they double that.

That’s total Gamepass revenue of 3.6 billion, albeit 1/3 of that was existing Gold revenue.

That revenue now needs to support 15 studios and buy 3rd party content.

Do you think you’re going to get $500m games that take 5 years to produce?

How much profit do you think is on that?

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Yes, MS could. Would they, though? And why?
If history has taught us anything, it's that subscription platforms like Netflix & Spotify cheap out on any project that isn't directly theirs.
They need to make money with it, after all, and they can't do that if they just outright pay everyone's development costs. Which is cheaper for indies, sure, but there are MANY indies.

I know GamePass isn't supposed to have every game (and some games are only there for a limited time).
I just hope it stays that way and doesn't become a standard like in other entertainment media.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ame-pass-could-be-a-boon-for-indie-developers

"Xbox Game Pass could be a boon for indie developers
At GDC Summer, solo developer Davionne Gooden explained how Xbox Game Pass offered a simple path to profit for his tiny studio"

"Compared to publisher negotiations, the Game Pass deal was a lot more straight-forward and simple and so much less stressful"

I hope not! Why do we need nothing but TLOU2 length games? I'm totally fine with 8-10 hour games like Resident Evil 2 Remake. I think we need to see more and more of that instead of these games that take so many people and so much money only for the industry to want to charge us $70 or more per game. Game Pass is perfect for smaller games. They can still be of high quality.

Last edited:

Rea

Gamepass will force Xbox 1st party studios to make either mediocre games or GaaS. Halo infinite is a very good example. They will release half-ass games day and date on the gamepass, depending on how many subs, they will continue to add more contents to the game to hook players to keep subbing their gamepass. It's so sad for those who wants high quality games from Microsoft.

Anki

Banned
Game pass is a system seller, i know i bought one s (it was cheap) just for that.
But i am not sure if i would buy series x for that. I dont know time will tell.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ame-pass-could-be-a-boon-for-indie-developers

"Xbox Game Pass could be a boon for indie developers
At GDC Summer, solo developer Davionne Gooden explained how Xbox Game Pass offered a simple path to profit for his tiny studio"

"Compared to publisher negotiations, the Game Pass deal was a lot more straight-forward and simple and so much less stressful"
Single select success stories are hardly representative for the situation of thousands of developers...
Just think about the number of games that didn't get an offer like that, possibly just as good or much better games that just happened not to fit into what MS wants to "sell" right now, or devs who preferred to work on their games instead of setting up shop in some expo (or who just couldn't) - or devs that simply aren't in the US, which is basically the majority of developers.

That said, the fact that apparently developers are paid upfront instead of just "per play" is an improvement upon the Spotify-like deals.
However, make no mistake here, if this subscription thing ever became the standard, these deals would be a thing of the past as MS could now expect everyone to just go to GP (or similar services) for free and hope enough people play to make any money with it.
As long as it stays the way it is now, I think it can be beneficial to some, while it won't mean trouble for too many others.

Another thing to bear in mind is that MS is well known for bending the knee to any and all outrage mobs, no matter how small or ridiculous.
Therefore, any person with opinions that aren't extreme-left is basically barred from ever appearing on GP or forced to silence themselves for eternity just in case they work on a game that could come to GP.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Single select success stories are hardly representative for the situation of thousands of developers...
Just think about the number of games that didn't get an offer like that, possibly just as good or much better games that just happened not to fit into what MS wants to "sell" right now, or devs who preferred to work on their games instead of setting up shop in some expo (or who just couldn't) - or devs that simply aren't in the US, which is basically the majority of developers.

That said, the fact that apparently developers are paid upfront instead of just "per play" is an improvement upon the Spotify-like deals.
However, make no mistake here, if this subscription thing ever became the standard, these deals would be a thing of the past as MS could now expect everyone to just go to GP (or similar services) for free and hope enough people play to make any money with it via.
As long as it stays the way it is now, I think it can be beneficial to some, while it won't mean trouble for too many others.

Another thing to bear in mind is that MS is well known for bending the knee to any and all outrage mobs, no matter how small or ridiculous.
Therefore, any person with opinions that aren't extreme-left is basically barred from ever appearing on GP or forced to silence themselves for eternity just in case they work on a game that could come to GP.

I'll take that and other stories I've seen over your speculation. Reference everything else you said, time will tell. I'm not a spokeperson for Game Pass. Concern away lol

Estocolmo

Also MS will never get certain games to come to GamePass at launch like CoD, Assassins Creed, the EA sports games and so on.
Besides Gamepass you also have to pay full price to play those games aswell.

The argument however for GamePass is that you get all games digitally and can easily play time by just a couple of clicks away

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yes I understand this. But my argument is there are more people who are like me than you. This is why I think Gamepass isn't a selling point for the masses.
but they still have a lot of subscribers and it will only grow. their are people that Netflix or Spotify aint for as well, but the point is we have options to do it how we want. if you want to buy 4 or 5 games a year then that's cool or if you want to have access to all new xbox exclusives day 1 and over 100 other games you can.

having more options in how we consume is always good

but they still have a lot of subscribers and it will only grow. their are people that Netflix or Spotify aint for as well, but the point is we have options to do it how we want. if you want to buy 4 or 5 games a year then that's cool or if you want to have access to all new xbox exclusives day 1 and over 100 other games you can.

having more options in how we consume is always good
Something can only be an option if it actually is sustainable. Just as i would love MoviePass to survive, but their buisness case just couldn't work.

Gamepass as you see it NOW, can't exist long term. So the question is, what will GamePass become if it actually succeed? I would argue that most of what you like about it would disappear entirely.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Something can only be an option if it actually is sustainable. Just as i would love MoviePass to survive, but their buisness case just couldn't work.

Gamepass as you see it NOW, can't exist long term. So the question is, what will GamePass become if it actually succeed? I would argue that most of what you like about it would disappear entirely.
do you have the figures that it is not making money? do you have proof it isn't working?

Raekwon26

I've never really understood the allure of this thing.

Had it for a month and played nothing really. Browsed the games and it was filled with older 3rd party games from earlier in the gen that I have played and own, BC games that I've played years ago and don't see the need to go back to and Xbox first party games which are..........yeah.................

Don't really get the noise around it tbh.

Vaelka

Something else that people don't get is that hardware sales aren't everything.
Consoles can even be sold at a loss.

Microsoft creating this echo system between the Xbox and PC is actually a good thing and very smart, but the general audience tends to obsess a lot about just numbers of consoles sold alone.
Sorta like how a lot of people don't understand the difference between revenue and profit and they just talk about revenue alone without talking about the actual profits.

PlayVerso

I think exactly the same, in my case I am not subscribed to PlayStation Plus, I do not like to play online, so it does not compensate me since I usually buy the games on day 1 of release, when they come out in Plus it is something very old for me, GamePass is different since you have games from day 1, but the problem with MS is that their TripleA are not as attractive and ambitious as Sony, and personally I am not interested in double A games, that does not mean that I do not like them , but my main focus is single player Triple A games.

Wizz-Art

Before game Pass Ultimate I spend on average +500 a year on games and a Gold subscription. When I finish games I rarely go back to them I also never liked to go through the hassle to sell my games, it was never worth my time. Before they were in moving boxes they took up space in my living room.

With Game Pass Ultimate I pay about 180 a year which includes the gold fee. Essentially what I was paying more or less for 2 new games and a year of Gold before and they don't take up precious space anymore that I need because I have a pretty large physical movie collection - DVD, HDDVD, Blu-ray, UHD (and digatal too but that doesn't take up any space) So to me GPU was a no brainer and with me millions of others. Spent way less but get to play much more!

Why in the hell should I care if they're gaining a lot or little money from it? That's something I never understood about people on this forum. The concern about financials. It's not out of your pocket so why would anyone care at all. MS continuously is one of the richest companies in the world, most of the time outright richest. Worrying about their financial lines to me is stupid, I'm a gamer and they offer me the best service, simple. It also doesn't hold me back from buying games like State of Decay 2 Ultimate and Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate outright when they released. Why? Because I simply can when I choose to.

Before game Pass Ultimate I spend on average +500 a year on games and a Gold subscription. When I finish games I rarely go back to them I also never liked to go through the hassle to sell my games, it was never worth my time. Before they were in moving boxes they took up space in my living room.

With Game Pass Ultimate I pay about 180 a year which includes the gold fee. Essentially what I was paying more or less for 2 new games and a year of Gold before and they don't take up precious space anymore that I need because I have a pretty large physical movie collection - DVD, HDDVD, Blu-ray, UHD (and digatal too but that doesn't take up any space) So to me GPU was a no brainer and with me millions of others. Spent way less but get to play much more!

Why in the hell should I care if they're gaining a lot or little money from it? That's something I never understood about people on this forum. The concern about financials. It's not out of your pocket so why would anyone care at all. MS continuously is one of the richest companies in the world, most of the time outright richest. Worrying about their financial lines to me is stupid, I'm a gamer and they offer me the best service, simple. It also doesn't hold me back from buying games like State of Decay 2 Ultimate and Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate outright when they released. Why? Because I simply can when I choose to.
Okay, it seems you have finally admitted that Gamepass isn't profitable. Good, that is a start.

Note that Xbox as a division has basically hanged their entire survival on Gamepass becoming profitable. So the question is, what will you do if Xbox stopped being a thing? Will you stop gaming or change sides?

You yourself said that you have actually spent LESS money now with Gamepass than you did before Gamepass. So despite being a supporter of their brand, Gamepass had lost money from you by existing, because you would have spent more otherwise.

Your mistake, is assuming that Microsoft as a whole, is going to keep Xbox going "just because they are rich". I am sorry to say that is not how any of this works.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

Okay, it seems you have finally admitted that Gamepass isn't profitable. Good, that is a start.

Note that Xbox as a division has basically hanged their entire survival on Gamepass becoming profitable. So the question is, what will you do if Xbox stopped being a thing? Will you stop gaming or change sides?

You yourself said that you have actually spent LESS money now with Gamepass than you did before Gamepass. So despite being a supporter of their brand, Gamepass had lost money from you by existing, because you would have spent more otherwise.

Your mistake, is assuming that Microsoft as a whole, is going to keep Xbox going "just because they are rich". I am sorry to say that is not how any of this works.

Read again, I said I simply don't care. Show me a quote where I said otherwise!

Raekwon26

The manifestation of fear against anything xbox is phenomenal.
For grown-ups I expected a lot of people to be less scared.
Xbox has become the bogeyman of you.
ImpressionableRecklessIvorybilledwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

Wizz-Art

Is Netflix profitable?

The Xbox Game Pass reports say; 'not very profitable' which means they turn a profit but not a large one yet. They believe so in the future and know it's a long game. It's a difference when the user you quoted selectively chooses to not include the word that changes the whole context of the sentence. I believe I don't have to tell you why the user chooses to spread FUD right...

The manifestation of fear against anything xbox is phenomenal.
For grown-ups I expected a lot of people to be less scared.
Xbox has become the bogeyman of you.
Trying to say we are scared of Xbox isn't going to make it true. Certainly nobody is scared of Sony or Nintendo. You think Xbox is scary is just your justification for not realizing the mess you are in. Good luck with Gamepass.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This isn’t something that is enforced, either people see the value or they don’t.

It’s interesting, who is the market for Gamepass? If you’re MS or a Xbox fan, maybe you say everyone. But then why isn’t everybody with a Xbox subscribed to Gamepass?

It’s still 120-180$ a year, officially, and that is money. If I’m someone who wants to play CoD, FIFA, and buy the odd blockbuster or two, maybe three in a good year, what is the value?

What is the value of Gamepass if I only buy 20-30$ games? That’s six games a year. That I own, not rent. These are most likely big games that launched in the last 12 months too.

Gamepass to my eyes is great value. If you’re broke, and don’t have a lot of money to spare, sounds great. But aside from access to MS first party day 1, and the quality there is very subjective atm, paying 120-180$ for a rental service littered with games I’m either likely not willing to play on a TV or can own for cheap, it becomes a service where you might be paying a lot of money for what is essentially a demo machine.

Your points are totally valid but also very personal to you. Gamepass is ofcourse not for everyone, but in terms of raw value for money it is absolutely bonkers. You said you buy some games day 1, a year of game pass is the same price as 2 day one games, that is CRAZY.

For people who like to play/experience a lot of games then it's an even bigger value proposition. And that's something some people need to register, peoples financial situations inform how they purchase. For some people they cant justify owning/playing 6 games a year for the same price as having access to 100.

The only thing I would disagree with you on is the quantity over quality arguement. Vast majority of games on game pass are very highly reviewed, and some of the best games of thier respective years. Plus it let's u dabble with games you wouldn't pay for otherwise, like Indivisible always caught my eye but I was never gonna pay full price for it, it dropped on game pass and I absolutely smashed it.

TLDR: the positives far put way the negatives. But do what suits your style and budget, that's always the right answer.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This isn’t something that is enforced, either people see the value or they don’t.

It’s interesting, who is the market for Gamepass? If you’re MS or a Xbox fan, maybe you say everyone. But then why isn’t everybody with a Xbox subscribed to Gamepass?

It’s still 120-180$ a year, officially, and that is money. If I’m someone who wants to play CoD, FIFA, and buy the odd blockbuster or two, maybe three in a good year, what is the value?

What is the value of Gamepass if I only buy 20-30$ games? That’s six games a year. That I own, not rent. These are most likely big games that launched in the last 12 months too.

Gamepass to my eyes is great value. If you’re broke, and don’t have a lot of money to spare, sounds great. But aside from access to MS first party day 1, and the quality there is very subjective atm, paying 120-180$ for a rental service littered with games I’m either likely not willing to play on a TV or can own for cheap, it becomes a service where you might be paying a lot of money for what is essentially a demo machine.

Quality is always subjective and they make it very easy to cancel of you don't see the value.

But to call a majority of the library quality subjective meaning there's no value for some is like saying someone not seeing value in a sausage pizza when they only like pepperoni. Maybe you won't like F1 2019, DMC5 and RDR2, but the market and general consensus says otherwise.

And calling it a demo machine is beyond disingenuous

DavidGzz

I think that there is a reason Sony are buying up a lot of exclusives and haven't announced a price for PS5. They are much smarter than the fanboys on here. They see the writing on the wall. Game Pass+Xcloud+a cheaper console+Free Online(Maybe)+15 1st party studios releasing games for no extra money not to mention some gems like DarkSiders Genesis and It Lurks Below that just dropped on there will be very attractive for gamers. Sony would announce the price and not spend the millions on deals if they thought they had it in the bag. Even the fanboys benefit from the upcoming stiff competition. Rejoice gamers and quit being so concerned about MS spending money on making Game Pass great.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
But to call a majority of the library quality subjective meaning there's no value for some is like saying someone not seeing value in a sausage pizza when they only like pepperoni. Maybe you won't like F1 2019, DMC5 and RDR2, but the market and general consensus says otherwise.

And calling it a demo machine is beyond disingenuous

Didn’t say the quality of the entire library was subjective. It’s well curated from my experience. But ironically enough, it seems aimed at the more hardcore of us who are always on the lookout for something to play. It doesn’t have the big guns, it doesn’t have Call of Duty.

And if I can own 6 games, that will be pretty recent ones, for the yearly cost of a rental service, there’s a choice there to be made.

A lot of people act as if Gamepass is free. And yes Gamepass is mostly a demo machine because that’s one of its main appeals, it allows you to try games you wouldn’t otherwise. On top of that it’s a rental service.

Lack of big guns, lack of ownership, cost of service. ATM it’s value to the hardcore who want access to more games.

I think the real solution is to have free trials for every game on the stores. If can try a game for an hour to see if I want it? That would kill the interest around Gamepass for a lot of the people.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Game pass encourages you to also buy the non first party games eventually. The problem for them is on PC the incentives are to buy it on Steam instead.

Anyway I think the idea is it functions similar to an insurance scheme for the players with heavy users winning out most, although I don't know what the financials look like on the developer side. Netflix isn't really any different. Someone who maybe only watches one or two shows a year might be getting a slightly bad deal but most probably watch enough to at least make it worth keeping due to the pooled cost. It's possible game pass runs into the same issues with quality that Netflix did chasing the broadest market via metrics that favor mediocre blandness but so far it seems like a good deal.

I think the real solution is to have free trials for every game on the stores. If can try a game for an hour to see if I want it? That would kill the interest around Gamepass for a lot of the people.

As a person that samples a lot of games I don't think that's necessarily ideal. I like playing a wide variety of games beyond the "taste" a free trial would give but not necessarily enough to justify buying because I know I wouldnt get the full value out of it. Example: I played Dead Cells for maybe five hours and probably won't play more and probably wouldnt buy it unless it was as on steep discount - which in turn makes the case that there's room for more than one type of monetization.

edit: and the problem with free trials is often that there's either a honeymoon period where the novelty makes the game seem better than it is or mechanics are slightly more difficult to pick up giving a bad first impression

Last edited:
Trying to say we are scared of Xbox isn't going to make it true. Certainly nobody is scared of Sony or Nintendo. You think Xbox is scary is just your justification for not realizing the mess you are in. Good luck with Gamepass.
I am not "trying to say" anything. It's just facts.
I observe the collective behavior of the people that usually post in microsoft related threads.
You don't have to be a genius to notice it.

DavidGzz

Didn’t say the quality of the entire library was subjective. It’s well curated from my experience. But ironically enough, it seems aimed at the more hardcore of us who are always on the lookout for something to play. It doesn’t have the big guns, it doesn’t have Call of Duty.

And if I can own 6 games, that will be pretty recent ones, for the yearly cost of a rental service, there’s a choice there to be made.

A lot of people act as if Gamepass is free. And yes Gamepass is mostly a demo machine because that’s one of its main appeals, it allows you to try games you wouldn’t otherwise. On top of that it’s a rental service.

Lack of big guns, lack of ownership, cost of service. ATM it’s value to the hardcore who want access to more games.

Well, I got it for $1 until 2023 so it was free. Ownership is overrated, especially when digital distribution is taking over. Unless it's a highly addictive game that you will keep coming back to like Diablo 3 is for me, buying games is a waste of money you can't even resell them. You get to look at a big collection of games that you will most likely never play again. Play and move on is the way to go. The same way I won't rewatch a movie on Netflix, I have no desire to own it.

You got the part about it being designed for the people who have a lot of time to play games right. That's me and it's amazing.

Wizz-Art

Also to add, subscribing to Game Pass for just a month (only 10 bucks) is also possible, you can subscribe and unsubscribe any way you want, The 120 a year is the yearly fee for Game Pass. If you want Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass on PC with it you can pay the 180 bucks a year fee (15 bucks a month).

Also you can buy the games on the service with a discount if you simply want to own them after playing them.

The view of people who try to spin Game Pass as a negative with al their might are from – unsurprisingly – Sony fanboys who are jealous their overlord doesn't offer a great service like that. Just like EA Acces wasn't offered for years on their platform as nobody wanted that right..? figures they offer it now and many subscribe. When they see the succes Game Pass has next gen they will already be three steps behind. Game Pass is the inevitable future and fighting against it is futile,

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

If you didnt mean the whole library then what are you trying to say is subjective? Only the games in one genre?

No one is denying that theres choices that will be made, but thats the whole point is theres a choice. Not everyone wants the latest and greatest and wants to spend $60 on a game. But thats the beauty is that there is choice.

Gamepass is not a demo machine. you can say that as many times as you want but its not a demo pass. Theres not a single demo on the service. Being able to try a game in its full capacity isnt a demo in any capacity. If I buy a game and play it for only an hour did i buy a demo? Like you said, GP is not free. I have paid money to the service. I am paying to play that game. A demo, I am not paying.

The lack of big guns is again subjective. Do we really need to go over the list of games that have been or are currently in GP that are "big guns."

THe cost of the service doesn't only appeal to the hardcore. The lack of ownership is not a problem for a majority of consumers. Netflix has proven it with video content and Spotify has proven it with music content. A lot of consumers dont give a damn if they "own" content or not. the value the access to it.

The problem with a demo for every game is that that doesn't translate to revenue automatically the way GP does. It takes time and money to make a demo for a game and a blanket application of conditions like a one hour time limit doesnt work for all games. Some games like Untitled Goose Game can be beaten within an hour and then you have other games like a Dragons Quest or FF15 that you don't even get out of the basic tutorial in an hour.

DaGwaphics

Here’s a little thought experiment.

Assume that all of those 10000000 are paying $15/month for ultimate (they’re not) and that by pushing it hard they double that.

That’s total Gamepass revenue of 3.6 billion, albeit 1/3 of that was existing Gold revenue.

That revenue now needs to support 15 studios and buy 3rd party content.

How much profit do you think is on that?

How much profit do you think a $500m game could have in any context. You better be doing Animal Crossing numbers at full price.

GriffinCorp

I've had GamePass for Since Dec 2019, I wanted to try it out and I can say at first I thought it was really neat, but I ended up downloading a ton of games and never really starting them. I know most of the games offered are not AAA titles. It's how I view Netflix, I watch a few key shows and know that I have 100's more at my finger tips but don't care to try them out. With the new consoles coming out I was planing on getting all those new AAA titles day one.

I kept paying this long because Xbox Live was included, therefore I could play multiplayer with my family in COD. I think I will be canceling at the end of this month.

Watching the Xbox showcase a couple of weeks ago really helped my decision to cancel. Halo was not impressive and I'm fed up with the Microsoft team of BS and Hype. Going to get the PS5 with traditional method of physical discs with a few digital games mixed in.

SaucyJack

How much profit do you think a $500m game could have in any context. You better be doing Animal Crossing numbers at full price.

Agreed. Hardly any games would turn a profit at that cost, you’d have to sell 10s of millions of units.

But the number was, of course, a reference to Halo Infinite's reported price tag.

Thirty7ven

Banned
If you didnt mean the whole library then what are you trying to say is subjective? Only the games in one genre?

First party MS games. I was specific.

And Gamepass isn’t competing with 60$ games, that argument is moot outside MS first party.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
First party MS games. I was specific.

And Gamepass isn’t competing with 60$ games, that argument is moot outside MS first party.

Got it. Reading back I see that.

I dont think anyone is arguing that its trying to compete with the $60 game as its asking price is a sixth of the cost. People are not buying/subscribing to gamepass with the knowledge that the new CoD or Assassins Creed will be on there.

If you are plugged into the gaming world you know this and if you aren't plugged into it you aren't going to subscribe thinking those games are on the service when its $10.

The library is aimed at a wide spectrum of players from the hardcore who want to play every game they can get their hands on and the player who uses gaming as a literal time waster and cares nothing about their library and longevity of a platform.

Top Bottom