• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamePass isn't for everyone and that's something alot of people don't get

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don’t understand how such a great service isn’t for everyone? GP is the best service a gamer can ask for. GP not only gives you lots of games monthly but also whatever makes it to the GP library it gets a discount in price. How can anyone not like this?

Because you have to buy either an expensive console or a PC to use it, and a lot of people are on Playstation, because they were better during the last generation. I don't think anyone would seriously claim GamePass isn't a good thing - just that it's not enough to potentially have to fork out a lot of money for new tech.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Because you have to buy either an expensive console or a PC to use it, and a lot of people are on Playstation, because they were better during the last generation. I don't think anyone would seriously claim GamePass isn't a good thing - just that it's not enough to potentially have to fork out a lot of money for new tech.

Which is where GP being on One S, Lockhart, Xcloud and Series X come in to offer the market choices and multiple entry points.

KAL2006

Banned
Foul, foul, he spoke of a negative of my favorite console. God forbid when this whole forum has. been doing nothing but making fun of or downplaying Xbox. Going as far as trying to downplay the best thing that has happened to gaming. Lol

You keep saying games that are far out, do we even have the launch games locked in for either console?

Sony showed gameplay for nearly every game.

We know Everwild doesn't even have a gameplay loop and is in early pre production.

Spiderman is confirmed for launch
Horizon 2 is confirMed for 2021 and the last game was a while back
Ratchet and Clank there was lots of gameplay I'd be shocked if it isn't 2021 atleast
Same for Returnal and Destruction Allstars that had gameplay.
The only question is Demon Souls but I reckon they can easily release that by fall 2021 as Shadow of Colousus was a while back and this is just a remake

In comparison
Everwild is in pre production no gameplay loop
Hellblade we didn't see anything
Fable was just CG
Avolved was CG

How can we trust Microsoft to deliver these games, Sony studios have laid the groundwork and just expanding. Microsoft just getting started and we don't even know if they will deliver.

And the game that is ready for launch Halo Infinite looks bad graphically and the gameplay didn't look so great either. We had a ton of rumours of Dev issues and director leaving. And now we hear that Halo is a GaaS and stuff like raytracing not ready for launch.

longdi

Banned
Gp is crazy value, i will sign up before FSX in August. MS will probably maintain this crazy value for the whole gen, to force Sony to bleed.

It is true as an old gamer, i don't spend too long hours on a game, Gp is like 2 full priced game. I wanted to buy DS on Steam, but dang that asking price.

I gave it a pass, a game pass! :nougat_rofl:

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
“Tons of games” is meaningless. You don’t have unlimited amount of time. Think logically. How many games are you going to play a year and are you going to buy them all at full price and how long it’ll take you to play? Is that higher or lower than the price of the subscription? Lastly keep in mind that you have to finish them before the subscription end.

KAL2006

Banned
Gp is crazy value, i will sign up before FSX in August. MS will probably maintain this crazy value for the whole gen, to force Sony to bleed.

It is true as an old gamer, i don't spend too long hours on a game, Gp is like 2 full priced game. I wanted to buy DS on Steam, but dang that asking price.

I gave it a pass, a game pass! :nougat_rofl:

Force Sony to bleed? I guess gamepass destroyed the sales of Ghost of Tsushima and last of Us 2. I guess Spiderman on PS5 will be a flop because Gamepass.

DavidGzz

Sony showed gameplay for nearly every game.

We know Everwild doesn't even have a gameplay loop and is in early pre production.

Spiderman is confirmed for launch
Horizon 2 is confirMed for 2021 and the last game was a while back
Ratchet and Clank there was lots of gameplay I'd be shocked if it isn't 2021 atleast
Same for Returnal and Destruction Allstars that had gameplay.
The only question is Demon Souls but I reckon they can easily release that by fall 2021 as Shadow of Colousus was a while back and this is just a remake

In comparison
Everwild is in pre production no gameplay loop
Hellblade we didn't see anything
Fable was just CG
Avolved was CG

How can we trust Microsoft to deliver these games, Sony studios have laid the groundwork and just expanding. Microsoft just getting started and we don't even know if they will deliver.

And the game that is ready for launch Halo Infinite looks bad graphically and the gameplay didn't look so great either. We had a ton of rumours of Dev issues and director leaving. And now we hear that Halo is a GaaS and stuff like raytracing not ready for launch.

We still have no idea of the launch lineups. I think MS will have more games ready, but time will tell.

• LOL
Reactions: Rea

Brofist

There are a lot of things that aren't for me, both in gaming and elsewhere. I don't feel the need to make a topic out of each one.

If GP isn't for you then don't even think about it.

Ah ok I've read more posts from OP. Just another stealth I love Sony thread, nothing to see.

chilichote

If GamePass prevails, the game landscape will change significantly, away from large AAA titles to smaller games to minimize the risk of losing money. AAA titles cannot be financed through such a service.

So I'm grateful to Sony for going the traditional way because not everything that looks like a good deal is good; at least in long terms.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
What is $200 to buy?
One S is frequently $199. Lockhart is rumored to be much cheaper than XSX as well with a $299 price tag.

One X had many deals for $299 for awhile. But since has been discontinued.

Point is getting into the Microsoft store eco system for GP will have many entry points at many prices.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Isn't Xbox One S that cheap. Besides Xcloud comes with GPU and doesn't require a console at all. Not a thing yet but should be this Holiday.

The One S digital has been discontinued, and I can’t see it at $200 anywhere?

You have to buy a gaming PC.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

What a thinly veiled console wars thread.

If first post wasn't enough, other posts from the op couldn't be more blatant. I'm not sure what's your point here OP, but it looks like you're trying to convince yourself first and foremost.

But anyway... just as I can't imagine PS consoles without its great exclusives (enjoying GOT as we speak) I cannot imagine now MS consoles without Gamepass, it's without a doubt the best service introduced this generation.

Truth, he sees that GP hype burning bright and he is trying to do his part to smother the flame.

The One S has been discontinued.

You have to buy a gaming PC.

No, the S all digital has, not the One S.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
We still have no idea of the launch lineups. I think MS will have more games ready, but time will tell.

Any reasons why you think Microsoft will have more games ready. Any insider information of those studios. Or are you just counting multiplatform games and time exclusives.

I've literally paid out all of Microsoft studios and reason why I think they are not ready. And all you have to reply is nah I think they will have more without actual logical thinking and seeing what there studios are upto.

JonnyMP3

Foul, foul, he spoke of a negative of my favorite console. God forbid when this whole forum has been doing nothing but making fun of or downplaying Xbox. Going as far as trying to downplay the best thing that has happened to gaming in a looking time.
Hahaha. You're reaching so far you might as well be the next Halo game.
You carry in console warring in your own head. I call a spade a spade. I'm agreeing with people that the 'Model' offered isn't for everybody. But hey, get salty that your favourite console maker isn't wowing the world and it burns you up. Me... I just want to enjoy great games. So flame away, lad flame away. Because the flaw in your logic is assuming I have a favourite console. I haven't had a "Favourite" since the N64. Maybe it's because I'm a grown ass man that doesn't give a crap about the companies or consoles. Just the games. Good try.

turtlepowa

Banned
Every game you mentioned about the masses BF/COD/Maden/FIFA are not on Gamepass. RDR and GTAV were on Gamepass (GTAV was on Now too) but this is usually not on day 1 and on the service temporarily. So you said it yourself the games the masses like are not on Gamepass so I just don't see how it's appealing. The only differenciating factor between Xbox and PlayStation is the exclusives so we have to factor in the sales of PlayStation exclusives in comparison to Xbox exclusives. It was reported in August last year Spiderman has sold over 13 million units not sure how much more now. For a game to sell that much on a single platform I'd consider that the masses on PlayStation platform are buying this game.

Also Fortnite a game that played by the masses is F2P on PS4 and not in Xbox as you need Gold. So the biggest game in the world for the masses is more appealing on a Sony console.

Since Game Pass (2017) you can't compare sales numbers anymore and you always have to think of the player base. 13 million with a user base of 115 million is not that impressive for a crowd puller name that profited from the cinema hype. That's about 11%. Halo 5 for example sold 5 million copies within 3 months and by that time not even near 20 million Xbox Ones were sold. Or Nintendo. Several Switch games were sold >15 or even >20 million times with a user base of just 55 million. That's impressive.

The Game Pass Ultimate is interesting for core gamers on Pc, Xbox and with xCloud also on tablets and smartphones.

But it's also interesting for casuals, because most of the masses games are multiplayer games and Game Pass Ultimate is not much more expensive than Gold and gives you a lot more like xCloud that is also very interesting for casuals.

Game Pass will make it's way, they have already more then 10 million subscribers (yeah yeah i know, they ALL just paid 1 buck).

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yes, I edited my post. Point is... can’t see a One S for $200 anywhere? Feel free to point me where it’s that cheap... I might buy one 😋

The supply chain seems to be dead right now. Could be covid related, maybe not. Seems to be impossible to find one anywhere since June.

Damigos

Game pass is a lot of value on paper. If you could play most of those games it’s worth it.
It’s also worth it for the games that appear there at their release date.
‘I don’t like the fact that games leave game pass tbh.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The supply chain seems to be dead right now. Could be covid related, maybe not. Seems to be impossible to find one anywhere since June.

OK, so it’s not quite that cheap to buy into GamePass then. See what the issue is for gamers who aren’t already in the ecosystem?

JLB

Banned

jfyi, gp will include xcloud, which will allow you to play on a cell phone. Also, you have on selected markets xbox all access, which means no upfront pay.

Dnice1

If Microsoft's exclusives don't interest you that is one thing.
If I paid for Gamepass without those £1 deals id spend around £130 for a year without choosing what games I want to play.

So this is why Gamepass don't interest me. I'd rather buy games I love day 1, and grab games I am half interested in on a impulse sale price, instead of paying for a sub and be limited to games their. The fact is I only play upto 6 games a year for me it's about quality over quantity and alot of the time the 6 games in that year are Sony exclusives. None of the games from Microsoft interest me other than Forza Horizon and Ori.

And I don't see Gamepass working with the masses. I have a ton of casual friends who only play FIFA and COD and grab the occasional other game like GTA, Red Dead and Spiderman that you wouldn't see in Gamepass. They don't play a ton of games a year. That model for many only works for Netflix and Spotify as those mediums you can go through more content quicker.

If most Microsoft current or future games don't interest you why do you even care to make a thread about their service? That's so weird to me

They are not forcing you to subscribe to Gamepass. If you enjoy buying each and every game you play YOU CAN STILL DO THAT.

Having said that. XBox Live Gold and Playstation + are both $9.99/month retail.

For $5 more with Xbox Gamepass Ultimate you can get (as of today) a total of 234 games for Xbox and 191 games for PC, ALL 1st party games day and date, 20% off the purchase of any game in Gamepass if you want to own it, and come September xCloud to stream the games on your mobile devices.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Any reasons why you think Microsoft will have more games ready. Any insider information of those studios. Or are you just counting multiplatform games and time exclusives.

I've literally paid out all of Microsoft studios and reason why I think they are not ready. And all you have to reply is nah I think they will have more without actual logical thinking and seeing what there studios are upto.

I'd think Resetera would have a good idea since they love PS and they only listed 5 aunch games for PS5. I think MS will have Halo, The Ascent, Scorn, The Medium, Grounded, CrossfireX, Gears Tactics, Flight Simulator, and confirmed upgrades for Ori and Forza Horizon 4 and probably others. I could be wrong about some of there but the thing is, if I'm right not only is it a nice list, they will be included in my Game Pass Sub. Meanwhile when I get my PS5 3 games will cost me $200 when you include tax.

If most Microsoft current or future games don't interest you why do you even care to make a thread about their service? That's so weird to me

They are not forcing you to subscribe to Gamepass. If you enjoy buying each and every game you play YOU CAN STILL DO THAT.

For $5 more with Xbox Gamepass Ultimate you can get (as of today) a total of 234 games for Xbox and 191 games for PC, ALL 1st party games day and date, 20% off the purchase of any game in Gamepass if you want to own it, and come September xCloud to stream the games on your mobile devices.

Even crazier when you put it that way. $5 a month since it includes Gold. And Xcloud is really in Sept? Amazing.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
OK, so it’s not quite that cheap to buy into GamePass then. See what the issue is for gamers who aren’t already in the ecosystem?

So because the console is currently sold out most likely due to a global epidemic we are going to apply that over the entire ecosystem for the rest of time?

Got it.

The one S will come back in stock.

Vasto

Game Pass is the best thing to ever happen in gaming period.

I think Scorn is the only game that has not been Game Pass confirmed. :messenger_beaming:

Age Of Empires IV ( Real Time Stratagy )
As Dusk Falls
Avowed ( RPG )
Call of the Sea ( Adventure ) 4K / 60FPS
CrossfireX ( FPS ) 4K / 60FPS
Everwild
Echo Generation ( Turn Based Adventure )
Exomecha ( FPS )
Fable ( RPG )
Flight Simulator ( Simulation )
Forza Motorsport ( Racing )
Gears Tactics ( Turn Based Stratagy )
Grounded ( Survival ) 4K / 60FPS
Halo Infinite ( FPS ) 4K / 60FPS
Project Mora
Psychonauts 2 ( Platformer ) 4K / 60FPS
Scorn 4K / 60FPS
Second Extinction ( FPS ) 4K / 60FPS
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II ( Action Adventure )
Stalker 2
State of Decay 3
Tell Me Why
The Ascent ( Action ) 4K / 60FPS
The Gunk ( Adventure )
The Medium ( Pychological Horror ) 4K / 30FPS
Yakuza Like A Dragon
Warhammer 40,000: Darktide ( FPS )
Wasteland 3 ( Strategy )

Last edited:

JLB

Banned

For $5 more with Xbox Gamepass Ultimate you can get (as of today) a total of 234 games for Xbox and 191 games for PC, ALL 1st party games day and date, 20% off the purchase of any game in Gamepass if you want to own it, and come September xCloud to stream the games on you mobile devices.

Perfect answer, but you know, console war fanboys will always find a way to hate.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
At your quoted $200?

It was $199 in June at Lenovo. Last known $199 price I see. Along with Target having it $199 with a $50 sale off of $249 early June.

So yeah I would say the $199 price will be available from some retailers as it has been off and on since mid year 2019 along with $199 deals with 3 games during black Friday last year.

Dory16

Banned
Watching IGN reaction to the event, or Alannah and etc. They all big up GamePass like the lack of decent exclusives don't matter.

But GanePass isn't for everyone. This is coming from someone who loves Netflix and Spotify. With those mediums I can plow through a ton of music and TV shows. My wife also uses these accounts. However with games it takes longer to play games which means you can't play a ton of games to make it worth your subscription fee. Also there are many games that are long or have online modes so your focusing on one game alot. Finally there are a ton of games that just never come out on GamePass.

I'll give you a example last year I bought Monster Hunter Iceborn which coated me around £35. I played that game exclusively for 2 to 3 months straight and nothing else other than a few sessions if Street Fighter V here and there. I also purchased God of War which was on sale for £10. I also picked up Mario Maker for the Switch which costed me £40. Also received Sonic Mania from Plus and TitanFall 2 which I played. With those 6 games that was enough games for me for a year.

If I paid for Gamepass without those £1 deals id spend around £130 for a year without choosing what games I want to play.

So this is why Gamepass don't interest me. I'd rather buy games I love day 1, and grab games I am half interested in on a impulse sale price, instead of paying for a sub and be limited to games their. The fact is I only play upto 6 games a year for me it's about quality over quantity and alot of the time the 6 games in that year are Sony exclusives. None of the games from Microsoft interest me other than Forza Horizon and Ori.

And I don't see Gamepass working with the masses. I have a ton of casual friends who only play FIFA and COD and grab the occasional other game like GTA, Red Dead and Spiderman that you wouldn't see in Gamepass. They don't play a ton of games a year. That model for many only works for Netflix and Spotify as those mediums you can go through more content quicker.

Who can do more can do less. Thank you.
And GP doesn't prevent you from buying anything that's not on GP.

turtlepowa

Banned
Why would I lie about something as stupid as videogames?
Well, you are here on NeoGAF and ask why anybody puts effort into hating a plastic toy? Dude, that's the main aspect of this site. For example, here is a guy that likes 24/7 every single negative comment about Xbox. Why would anybody do this? Look how many shit threads there are about Halo or Microsoft. Countless. There is no sense in being a fanboy (not calling you a fanboy).

Drewpee

Banned
Watching IGN reaction to the event, or Alannah and etc. They all big up GamePass like the lack of decent exclusives don't matter.

But GanePass isn't for everyone. This is coming from someone who loves Netflix and Spotify. With those mediums I can plow through a ton of music and TV shows. My wife also uses these accounts. However with games it takes longer to play games which means you can't play a ton of games to make it worth your subscription fee. Also there are many games that are long or have online modes so your focusing on one game alot. Finally there are a ton of games that just never come out on GamePass.

I'll give you a example last year I bought Monster Hunter Iceborn which coated me around £35. I played that game exclusively for 2 to 3 months straight and nothing else other than a few sessions if Street Fighter V here and there. I also purchased God of War which was on sale for £10. I also picked up Mario Maker for the Switch which costed me £40. Also received Sonic Mania from Plus and TitanFall 2 which I played. With those 6 games that was enough games for me for a year.

It might not be for everybody but it is DEFINITELY for me :) Gamepass is the best deal in gaming and it's not even close. If you think it is not for you, that just means you haven't given it a chance yet. You seem to have the very wrong idea about the quality of games on the service,

longdi

Banned
Force Sony to bleed? I guess gamepass destroyed the sales of Ghost of Tsushima and last of Us 2. I guess Spiderman on PS5 will be a flop because Gamepass.

If it isn't clear then, it should be now. Gp is the ace that MS has against PS5. It kinda make sense about Phil comments about pandemic and recession, it kinda make sense why MS ceo is fully behind Xbox.

I will expect future articles to compare the cost of owing the most powerful console with Gp against PS5, throw in that 1TB of expendable storage ftw. 3rd party games can join Gp 6-9months from release, no problem, let them sell full price on launch.

Gp is a total win for gamers for the near future, and i bet Phil is banking on that to challenge for console leadership :messenger_rocket:

Sony can either continue sell expensive first party games or join the gamepass-like revolution/competition

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
But for those who DO want Gamepass, is there enough of them to keep the lights on at Xbox Division? No one is claiming that it is a dead service, but if Xbox is expecting Gamepass to be the linchpin of the entire division then they are going to have to get a LOT of people subscribed. As in, PAYING.
This is true. The key thing to me is that the price is going to have to increase if Microsoft's studios continue AAA game development. Will growth continue when the service has a more premium price? I certainly don't see X-Cloud being the determining factor anytime soon.

longdi

Banned
It is good value now (still in the selling the service to consumers phase, not reaping the returns yet) and it has not affected AAA games development yet, but I am unconvinced this would be the $1/99c moment for console games if it took hold. Not convinced that it all Xbox users were on GamePass and accustomed to get most AAA games for free that they would still end up buying them, especially at full price (which would further move more and more games into GaaS/live services territory to extract revenue over long periods of time).

We have seen the rea effects of gamers value perception changes and the loss of perceived value and thus acceptable price on the mobile market. The people it helped the most in the end were not gamers (now enjoying being tracked and sold micro transactions up the wazoo) nor publishers, but Google and Apple.

The monthly price will go up, maybe 2-3 years later, depending on adoption and satisfactory rates. It even states current prices are 'beta', 'subject to changes'.
Gamepass will be for first party titles, AAA ones too. It acts as a price differentiator against the competition. You will end up paying less for Series X ecosystem, not bad for the most powerful console.

3rd parties will be added probably months after their release.
Gp may open the way towards episodic AAA games. There is a reason Halo infinite was said to be a 'perpetual' title. Developers/Pub will probably get paid monthly instead of years.

Smaller sized games are less risky, more agile to changes, shorter results cycle. MS can lock in Gp subscription.
It is a bet MS is willing to take. What can they achieve sticking to old ways?
This may change how games are distributed like when disk media did back then 🤷‍♀️

The monthly price will go up, maybe 2-3 years later, depending on adoption and satisfactory rates. It even states current prices are 'beta', 'subject to changes'.
Gamepass will be for first party titles, AAA ones too. It acts as a price differentiator against the competition. You will end up paying less for Series X ecosystem, not bad for the most powerful console.

3rd parties will be added probably months after their release.
Gp may open the way towards episodic AAA games. There is a reason Halo infinite was said to be a 'perpetual' title. Developers/Pub will probably get paid monthly instead of years.

Smaller sized games are less risky, more agile to changes, shorter results cycle. MS can lock in Gp subscription.
It is a bet MS is willing to take. What can they achieve sticking to old ways?
This may change how games are distributed like when disk media did back then 🤷‍♀️
Playstation is basically "sticking to the old ways" in a nutshell. Well, maybe not quite as old as Nintendo who are even more old fashioned. But compared to Xbox, Playstation is quite conservative.

Someone once told me that MS is not interested in making a small profit, that they had to take over the market entirely or bust. This focus on Gamepass might be a result of this; Xbox realizing they can't beat Playstation at selling consoles, so instead they are creating a brand new market where they are the only one present. However, I am not sure the money from Gamepass is truly there.

JonnyMP3

Just realised how laughable that many of you have fallen for the MS marketing scam that subscription based model is the best for the entire market. No it isn't. It's only good for MS just like Netflix is only good for Netflix and Spotify good for Spotify.
Music creators absolutely HATE Spotify. It pays pittence on number of plays. So you'll only get a residual fee if your music or game gets played, which is only a tiny fraction of Games Pass subs and ONLY if they've played the game.

So people defending GP want developer, studios and publishers miss out on a big chuck of profits and revenues from actual sales of their games that they've spent years of their own money, time and talent just so Microsoft can prove how great they are transitioning to a model that no one else asked for.

So if I was a developer or studio and not just some teenaged little console warring bitch, I'd definitely choose to have my games published normally to maximise profits and sales for my company so that also on the next game, I could potentially have a bigger budget as well. And then when sales have slowed... Well can earn the pennies that a sub model provides.
But to delude yourself into thinking that the MS model is literally where the entire games industry should be headed is up there with the insanity that thinks John Romero would make me his bitch.

Spoiler alert: He didn't.

Redlight

OP, it's become pretty clear that this thread is not really intended as an honest discussion of the merits of Gamepass. You're just trying to downplay it' obvious value, maybe to justify a purchase decision you made a long time ago?

Go, enjoy your Playstation, no need to think of Gamepass ever again (unless you have to pay full price for a game Xbox owners are playing for free).

It's fine, we get it. You don't care about Gamepass and Gamepass doesn't care about you.

Hezekiah

Banned
After seeing the Xbox Showcase, Avow, Warhammer, Crossfire, Scorn, The Medium, Fable, Stalker 2, etc aren't quality games? Based on what?
Definitely some good games there, but Warhammer, Crossfire, The Medium and Stalker 2 are all timed exclusives.

Crossfire looked the most impressive game there imo, looks like a mix of Counter-Strike and Crysis.

Top Bottom