• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameinformer: MercurySteam initially pitched a remake of Metroid Fusion

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m...e-that-feels-like-an-original-experience.aspx

With all of Nintendo’s internal studios busy with other projects, Sakamoto needed to find a development team that could tackle his dream project. Fortunately, one studio had been pounding on Nintendo’s door with a Metroid pitch. After finishing work on a few Castlevania projects for Konami, the Madrid-based developer MercurySteam pitched Nintendo on the idea of remaking Metroid Fusion – the 2002 GBA title where Samus got infected with a parasitic organism. Sakamoto was impressed with the studio pitch and their love for Metroid. He told them no, they couldn’t remake Metroid Fusion…but he did need their help on another remake.

I wonder...
MieRj6t.png

Ein Bear

Fusion seems an odd choice for a remake, when it's already the most modern, well-playing 2D game (other than ZM). You'd think they'd have pitched the obvious choice of Metroid 2 in the first place.

Maybe they thought Fusion's link to Other M might make the pitch more successful? I dunno.

Cpt Lmao

Remaking Metroid 2 was the right move. That game needed it more.

Absolutely, working on something so old will make the end product far more fresh. We're all in for an unrecognizable experience, of which could not have been achieved with fusion.

Sterok

The only thing Fusion needs is a skip function for the cutscenes. Everything else holds up perfectly well to this day. Not a needed remake.

Dunkley

I mean even though it would have been sick to see SA-X reimagined in 3D I'm glad they ended up with Metroid 2.

Jawmuncher

Damn I'd have taken that 10x over Seamus returns.
Fusion is the best in the series and I don't give a damn what anyone says about it.

I wonder why. I think maybe they thought that was just the one Sakamoto would accept. Or maybe they wanted to make a more action oriented game, which fusion is more friendly for.

mindatlarge

Hopefully their remake of Metroid 2 will be a big success so they can revisit remaking Fusion. Personally would love to see that. I would be more interested in letting this team have a crack at creating a brand new 2D or 2.5D entry though, if they do Metroid 2 justice.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Considering Metroid 2 was quite the bad game, there is a lot more work to do here. Remaking Fusion would be worthless though, since it is good as is, so I am glad they had to do 2 instead.

hiim_haz

Banned
Metroid Fusion is bad? You all are crazy.

I'd rather they remake Metroid II anyway since that game was the 2D game I really didn't have any fun with.

entremet

So Super is next on the docket!

Metroid 1 and Metroid 2 are already done.

That's gonna be a tough one since it can be ruined very easily if they start adding dialogue and cutscenes.

Akai__

That's gonna be a tough one since it can be ruined very easily if they start adding dialogue and cutscenes.

As long as they let you skip those, I don't see much of a problem.

That would have dulled the hype of a new 2d Metroid for me a bit. Thanks Sakamoto.

Edit: I can't support any remakes after 2. The layouts/visuals/gameplay still hold up in Super and Fusion. There's no point to it.

A 2 remake was the right choice. I wouldn't say no to a Super remake that adds R-button missile controls, but hopefully the next 2D Metroid is a totally new game, though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Only 2 works on 3DS, both Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion need better hardware for 3D remakes to do justice to their style.

I really hope they never remake Super. It holds up today and I can't see anyone doing it justice.

I should clarify, although I think Fusion is the worst of the recent 2D games (Super, Zero mission and Fusion) it's not a bad game. Just bad by comparison. I did a run last month of these three games and fusion was by far the worst of the 3.

Metroid 1 and 2 were so dated now I don't even count them.

^fusion is the best metroid game
Remaking Metroid 2 was the right move. That game needed it more.
I mean you're right...but I would've rather seen fusion...

Granted I guess this paves the way for the future possibility of fusion on better hardware than the 3DS

hotcyder

I'm not even sure what they can improve.

Presentation still holds up - I mean you could remake it with 3D graphics and fuller sound sure. Adding cutscenes would sort of go against the atmosphere of this game - though I guess it would bring it more in line with modern Metroid.

Gameplay doesn't really need to be changed (IMO). You could argue basic quality of life improvements like a slight simplification of the controls or ZM style waypoints on the map, but adding new content would make an already large and complex game larger and more complex.

I think it's a solid enough game that it doesn't need a Zero Mission or Samus Returns style reboot to make it more palatable to a modern audience.

Though if they do, then I guess maybe they should go and do something a little more radical with it - the original still exists and is playable on Virtual Consoles so why not totally rework it. Maybe they could go full 3D like a third person prime game?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Thought Metroid 2 was the right remake, even if I particularly love the original game (which I recognize has a plethora of flaws making it inaccessible for a lot of people).

I'd really enjoy a Super Metroid remake. I enjoyed the game, but I thought the 'floaty' movement and grapple beam were annoying. I also don't appreciate the water level at all. If these things could be fixed I'd be all for it.

Wamb0wneD

I really hope they never remake Super. It holds up today and I can't see anyone doing it justice.

I should clarify, although I think Fusion is the worst of the recent 2D games (Super, Zero mission and Fusion) it's not a bad game. Just bad by comparison. I did a run last month of these three games and fusion was by far the worst of the 3.

Metroid 1 and 2 were so dated now I don't even count them.

It had the most horror elements and to me that's a plus. Definetly the most spooky one so far and I liked the SA-X.
Yeah the gameplay is the most linear but I like when they use that for stuff like the power outage where you get stuck in the elevator, breaks up things really nicely.

The artwork in fusion is top notch. A 3DS remake in 2.5D with low res assets would have looked pretty rough in comparison to the original's beautiful sprite work and environments. Say what you will about the linearity of it, the artwork in Fusion is killer and I think it still stands as one of the best looking GBA games.

The artwork in fusion is top notch. A 3DS remake in 2.5D with low res assets would have looked pretty rough in comparison to the original's beautiful sprite work and environments. Say what you will about the linearity of it, the artwork in Fusion is killer and I think it still stands as one of the best looking GBA games.

Samus Returns has an awe inspiring level of detail, the backgrounds are up there with Tropical Freeze (obviously not in rendering quality but in sheer detail). They could really enhance the terrifying tone of Fusion with a remake similar to Samus Returns,

Opa-Pa

Guess they didn't get the proper authorization, eh?

But hey, that's interesting, Fusion is kinda weird for a remake choice. Even though I think it's the weakest, it holds up just as well as the day it cane out.

Maybe it's what it takes to remind Sakamoto and company that it happened and that we want a damn Metroid 5 already tough.
Nah, I'm quite confident it's coming after SR.

Gartooth

I don't think Fusion (or Super) could benefit much from remakes, so doing Metroid II was the right call. After this I do want to see the Fusion sequel since it had a really interesting implication for Samus in the ending.

Samus Returns has an awe inspiring level of detail, the backgrounds are up there with Tropical Freeze (obviously not in rendering quality but in sheer detail). They could really enhance the terrifying tone of Fusion with a remake similar to Samus Returns,

I'm probably just attached to Fusion because it was one of the first GBA games I got and I've played through it a ton of times. I'm definitely looking forward to Samus Returns but I still think the 3DS doesn't have the horsepower to really do it justice in 2.5D. Hopefully I'll be mistaken when I have it in person.

Top Bottom