• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameIndustry.biz: Xbox is the game publisher of 2021

JLB

Banned
Good god guys, let the green rats have this one. Prior to this year, the last couple of years of xbox gaming be like:
tumbleweed GIF
cry baby GIF

Chukhopops

It’s fine that they count them, but I guess when Phil Spencer even admits that they are lagging behind Sony in first party content and quality, that’s why Microsoft getting best publisher surprised me.
You’re thinking of Matt Booty and his « big tentpole games » comment. None of the big tentpole Sony franchises got a new entry this year though - next year might look a lot different.

kingfey

Banned
That's a weird thing to report. All the Xbox fans have been running with that for weeks, it's NeoGaf lore now.
I guess the mods didn't get the memo yet. Sucks that it happened.

I will try my chance next time. Maybe next TGA gamepass event.

Stuart360

I guess the mods didn't get the memo yet. Sucks that it happened.

I will try my chance next time. Maybe next TGA gamepass event.
I'm only speculating here, but the whole 'green rats' thing was picked up as a bit of fun, fun made from a users complete meltdown on here. I think the problem might be now that certain sections have started using the 'green rats' thing to talk about Xbox fans in a negative way, when the whole point was a silly pisstake.
Thats what i have seen anyway, dont have a clue if thats the reason.

Well deserved. This is one of their best years ever in terms of overall quality and quantity of output, and probably their best year WRT game variety. Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5, Deathloop, Halo Infinite, Age of Empires IV, Sea of Thieves update etc. And 2022 is looking just as good if not better for them between Starfield, Redfall, Forza Motorsport (Reboot?) not to mention other 3P exclusives timed or otherwise (though MS isn't the publisher for most of those to my knowledge).

Winning the title again will be tougher next year for sure, but that can be said for every publisher.

Bruv needs to maybe get those bruises checked out tho.

Next year will be one of the greatest years in gaming. I just hope the third parties can match the quality the first parties are currently putting out...Nintendo, Sony and Xbox are all at the top of their game while EA, Acti, Ubi etc are all faltering...if they can step it up we will enter a new golden age of gaming.

3P aren't dropping the ball if you don't focus on just the biggest screw-ups. Plague Tale 2, Replaced, Elden Ring, Forespoken, (potentially) Street Fighter 6, (potentially) Mortal Kombat 12, Star Ocean, (potentially) Final Fantasy XVI, etc.

A lot of 3P goodness coming in 2022 from the looks of it, especially if you're not exclusively focused on AAA.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-laments-halo-infinite-delay

Take the fanboy goggles off. You can't give publisher of the year for basically 1 new title, 1 delayed by a year and still missing content at launch, a reissue/port and a couple of titles that they essentially got as part of acquisitions!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

michael-jordan-meme.gif

michael-jordan-memes.gif

None of this matters, stop crying. Microsoft still PUBLISHED the games, the topic is about best PUBLISHER of the year, the games were published in 2021 (this year).

You shouldn't tell people to take their fanboy goggles off when the one wearing them is yourself.

3P aren't dropping the ball if you don't focus on just the biggest screw-ups. Plague Tale 2, Replaced, Elden Ring, Forespoken, (potentially) Street Fighter 6, (potentially) Mortal Kombat 12, Star Ocean, (potentially) Final Fantasy XVI, etc.

A lot of 3P goodness coming in 2022 from the looks of it, especially if you're not exclusively focused on AAA.
You are 100% right...its easy to get caught up in the negative stories as a gamer.

It’s fine that they count them, but I guess when Phil Spencer even admits that they are lagging behind Sony in first party content and quality, that’s why Microsoft getting best publisher surprised me.
Fair enough, but he said that specifically about last gen.... and he said that almost 3 years ago.

Nevermind. Just realized this was your second reason, as well as your first. It's clear to me why you wouldn't agree with them getting best publisher.

soulbait

You are 100% right...its easy to get caught up in the negative stories as a gamer.

It happens to all of us TBH, no big deal. Plus with the volume of games getting released it's easy to forget about some time to time. I know I've forgotten several for next year that I said are on my radar when they were revealed this summer.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A large portion of players weren't hyped for these games because they only owned a PS4 or PS5 and knew they had no way to play the games.
Um, no. As a PC gamer that played simulators since the late 80s and early 90s where they really started to take off… nobody outside of the most ardent fans of the brand were hyping FS, and it was quickly forgotten because they realize the average games they played on the console, FS doesn’t fit their motif.

While I enjoy them on the PC and even visit the local library once in a while and use their high end FS cockpit rig setup, I did call it as a snoozefest for the average dopamine console gamer.

Not everything is a console war and only a console war.

Last edited:

Fredrik

(...And meanwhile, Nintendo killed it in every other way, but in terms of big releases, they came up short, unless Metroid is your GOTY, which may be and it's been a long time for Metroid to be that again so good to not forget it.)
It is, nearly topped my best game of all time list but fell short when I did a 100% run and realized that the exploration from Super Metroid had been exchanged with hardcore finger gymnastics.
One awesome game don’t make Nintendo #1 though.

Kagey K

Banned
No doubt after playing the campaign today.

MS studios put out some of the best games this year, and some will be remembered as classics.

They earned and deserve it this year.

Nobody else gets close.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Ms ended the year the right way. Having quality games for the holiday. Still having xbox series s available. They deserve it this year and were no where close last year.

Top Bottom