• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameFreak has lost their minds with the terrible new Pokemon designs for Pokemon: Legends Arceus.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
pkmn designs have been digimon level shit for a while

to be fair Digimon makes up with that by having some with far better design than pokemon at the higher forms

71JgyJQXNFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

its mainly all the low levels that are the cute blobs etc that give it the bad name.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
that was not a reboot, you could still trade old Pokémon and they were all still canon. I mean AN ACTUAL reboot... completely throw out most of the existing pokemon and start fresh. maybe take the first 251 + some of the fan fovorites and go from there
Not a reboot by your standards if you're favouring the first two gens. 👀

More of a reboot than what you're suggesting though. This was all new, you just want The Force Awakens of Pokemon games.

Banned
Not a reboot by your standards if you're favouring the first two gens. 👀

More of a reboot than what you're suggesting though. This was all new, you just want The Force Awakens of Pokemon games.

what do you even mean by that? it was all new? nothing was new... it was still set in the same timeline/universe with the same pokemon tradable from older gens.

what I am suggesting is a REBOOT... i think you don't know what a reboot is... everything that happened is not canon in this new reboot. everything is wiped clean... let's say Celebi doesn't exist anymore, can not be obtained by any means, same with 90% of all the existing pokemon
they should take all the fan favorites, put them in this new game, and completely wipe everything else clean and never bing those back ever again but instead focus in fewer more meaningful additions to the roster. maybe even focus more on regional variants instead of completely new pokemon for each new gen from thereon out.

Pokemon Black/White wasn't even remotely a reboot. it was simply a gen where you only got older pokemon by trading... but they still existed, were usable and were all canon... that is not a reboot

TransTrender

Gold Member
I get that you've got to collect them all, but the original set is really timeless.
They honestly should stick with that with the addition of some of the contemporary 'good' designs and legendaries.

SCB3

I still play them but yea the designs haven't been great all round since Ruby/Sapphire to be honest aside from a few

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
what do you even mean by that? it was all new? nothing was new... it was still set in the same timeline/universe with the same pokemon tradable from older gens.

what I am suggesting is a REBOOT... i think you don't know what a reboot is... everything that happened is not canon in this new reboot. everything is wiped clean... let's say Celebi doesn't exist anymore, can not be obtained by any means, same with 90% of all the existing pokemon
they should take all the fan favorites, put them in this new game, and completely wipe everything else clean and never bing those back ever again but instead focus in fewer more meaningful additions to the roster. maybe even focus more on regional variants instead of completely new pokemon for each new gen from thereon out.

Pokemon Black/White wasn't even remotely a reboot. it was simply a gen where you only got older pokemon by trading... but they still existed, were usable and were all canon... that is not a reboot
Your fixation for "fan favourites" is rather telling and just saying you trade over old Pokemon to B/W is rather disrespectful. You're just another gen winner nostalgia baby who probably likes Charizard. Your ideas are bad for the franchise and B/W did it better.

Next.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Havent played any game since red/blue but always found the monster designs afterwards ridiculous to point of questioning the talent level over there.
But whatever, weebs gonna weeb, still sells gangbustas.

Saber

Gold Member
People should know by now that they design like an 8 year old kid and still sells because blind sheeps buys 3 copies of the same game. I remember a guy saying something like "damn, Brilliant Diamond is so terrible but I need it".

I frankly can't wait for them to start going to EA route, because they would not be hunted down for bad predatory practices.

Last edited:

BlakeofT

They'll probably grow on me like Greninja did. I remember when I saw the leak for it I was disgusted, but now it's one of my favorites. Oh well, the game looks fun enough so I'm excited for it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Interested to see what they look like in-game versus this "Datamined T-Post-esque" style. Most of the new pokemon designs look great.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The issue is that some people have been playing every installment for the last 20 years.

You're supposed to grow out of them and for a new generation of kids to discover Pokémon.

This is the dumbest thing I have read today and I have read a lot of moronic console warring trash. Congrats.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I finally sat down and went through the latest Pokémon gens. What in the actual fuck had Gamefreak done with the franchise?

The fuck is this? IT'S A FUCKING KEYCHAIN!!!!

d1e4c89a96c1a99a65316108a3ebf7312bd20dcb_00.jpg

Or this? It's a steel and rock Pokémon okay whatever I can accept that. But if its rock and steel why the fuck does it have a mustache? Why are its arms duck heads???

476.png

INB4 "buh buh *insert example from 1st gen here*." No. Just no. Nothing from the first few gens were this fucking bad.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Said it many times.
Gamefreak is one of the luckiest studio to stay alive thanks to the pokemon franchise.

Notabueno

Banned
Okay, the problem here is that these pokemon are not even drawned according to basic design, aesthetic, morphologic rules of character design.

It's unacceptable for a company of that caliber with a franchise as big.

Nobody_Important

Across the board Pokémon has WAY more misses than Digimon early on and I say that as someone who was a massive Pokémon fan when i was a kid.

Pokémon was more popular and more fun, but Digimon just looked fucking cool by comparison.

Wvrs

So this game is actually great and plays super nicely, solid update for Pokemon.

But the core gameplay loop is not my style. Too much collecting and grind. If you like Monster Hunter and other games like that, you'll love this.

Swift_Star

Banned
I finally sat down and went through the latest Pokémon gens. What in the actual fuck had Gamefreak done with the franchise?

Or this? It's a steel and rock Pokémon okay whatever I can accept that. But if its rock and steel why the fuck does it have a mustache? Why are its arms duck heads???

476.png

INB4 "buh buh *insert example from 1st gen here*." No. Just no. Nothing from the first few gens were this fucking bad.
Object Pokémon exist since forever and they’re based on Japanese culture where an object come to life if abandoned for over 100 years.
Probopass is a moai Pokémon and his arms are also moais 🗿. You really need to get out more.

supernova8

Banned
Shit designs for a shit looking game. You wouldn't believe it's coming from a company that is making outrageous profits on a game that has barely changed in ages.

I don’t get why they could never just use the first few gens and just do different story’s or so each game, maybe add different types to existing pokemons , you’re pretty much getting the same fire water grass pokemons but with uglier designs each new gen.

Novacain

I think you're wrong. In this case they are ruining even the originals. Look at the new stoned Typhlosion model and tell me it looks better than it used to.
I wasn't particularly attached to the way the fire rat thing looked to begin with. It doesn't look better or worse, just different.

When I was a kid, everything after the original 150 was stupid to me and my friends until I got older and saw them all as the same. It's all silly cutesy-fartsy-why-care-stuff to me.

Last edited:

iHaunter

476.png

No ones going to disagree, Pokemon has been shit for a good while. My last favorite game was Heart Gold.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

476.png

Yes, because a Pokeball as a Pokémon and an upside down Pokéball were certainly fantastic designs. Or how about Geodude, which is literally just a rock with arms? Onyx? Ratatata? Feckin’ eggs? I don‘t like a lot of new Pokémon designs, but claiming that the designs haven‘t always been lazy or silly at times is revisionist history/nostalgia goggles.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Shit designs for a shit looking game. You wouldn't believe it's coming from a company that is making outrageous profits on a game that has barely changed in ages.
Game Freak is an A to AA studio. The Pokémon Company is not Game Freak.

Yes, because a Pokeball as a Pokémon and an upside down Pokéball were certainly fantastic designs. Or how about Geodude, which is literally just a rock with arms? Onyx? Ratatata? Feckin’ eggs? I don‘t like a lot of new Pokémon designs, but claiming that the designs haven‘t always been lazy or silly at times is revisionist history/nostalgia goggles.
They certainly look more natural and thematic, as opposed to being hideous monstrosities, cobbled together from a schizophrenic nightmare.

Tams

Gold Member

Pokemon models are leaked and they look like trash, especially that last one. WTF.

RIP Pokemon, even though the game will sell, their designs are absolute shit.

Doesn't matter; still syked. My pre-order is in place and I'm going to get my shitty keychain with it.

Can't stop this train! Choo choo motherfuckers!

GymWolf

Hey, at least they are consistent. Would be weird for the game to have horrible art direction but the Pokemon to look nice.

Also to be fair not all of them are terrible. That arcanine looks ok.

Gamefreak games sell AAA numbers but they are a AA developer at best
Nah, i saw indie titles with better production values than pokemon games, proper AA utterly destroy anything gamefreak ever made.

Elysion

Banned
they should take all the fan favorites, put them in this new game, and completely wipe everything else clean and never bing those back ever again but instead focus in fewer more meaningful additions to the roster.

I agree, a reboot would be the best way forward. Here’s what I’d like to see:

-totally new roster (if they bring back some fan favorites they should be slightly redesigned too)
-overhaul the type chart
-modernized turn-based combat system (Legends Arceus actually seems to have a new battle system, it reminds me of FFX in
fact, so I hope they keep it)
-give each Pokémon a small skill tree that covers moves, abilities and stat increases (nothing overly complex, but enough to
allow Pokémon to specialize a bit and to learn multiple abilities)
-remove the 4-move limit
-preferably open world, though it doesn’t have to be; the important thing is that we should be able to visit cities and beat gyms
in whatever order we want

As far as Pokémon designs are concerned, there are four types of design I’ve always disliked, even back in gen 1:

-Pokémon based on devices or household objects (Magnemite, Klefki, that ice-cream Pokémon)
-Pokémon that look too humanoid or furry-like (Mr. Mime, Jynx, Cinderace, Inteleon)
-Pokémon so goofy that they look like Looney Tunes characters (Bidoof, Watchog, Beartic)
-Pokémon that wear clothes or carry man-made tools (Hitmonchan, Jynx, Timburr and its evolutions)

With the exception of that weird fairy legendary, most of the new Pokémon shown in the video in the OP aren’t that bad imo. Though I’m not sure if I like this new focus on regional variants. I’d prefer entirely new species, tbh.

Majukun

to be fair Digimon makes up with that by having some with far better design than pokemon at the higher forms

71JgyJQXNFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

its mainly all the low levels that are the cute blobs etc that give it the bad name.
actually it's exactly the overdesigned, spikey and edgy things like the one you posted that i think of when i think of digimon bad designs.
yes the base blobs are not great either, but for other reasons

Nobody_Important

Everything you just listed is leagues better than a fucking keychain.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Game Freak is developing it and presumably being bankrolled by TPC so.. not seeing your point.

Let’s say you are given a deadline of 2 years and you own a small studio of around 50 people with a modest budget. No matter how much money gets tossed your way, you cannot create the same level of experience as something made by a studio with over 100 people and 5+ years of development time.

There is a limit to how much a studio can produce given staffing and time. The only reason we were able to see companies create games like Call of Duty and Assassin’s Creed yearly were due to the nearly thousand plus people working on the games across *multiple* studios.

I would love to see Game Freak given the time and staffing to create a true AAA title, but one has to be realistic and understand how this industry works.

Top Bottom