• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game upgrades Gen 8 to Gen 9

We might have covered this topic on other threads, but I thought it would be worth to summarize how was this covered by both Sony and MS as well as what could be the general perception of what "will it look like":

1. Microsoft was clever enough to "brand it" early and have advertised "Smart Delivery" model as it was some kind of exclusive feature reserved for Xbox only. Sony was very quiet about similar offering on Playstation so media outlets assumed "if it's not confirmed, it probably won't be offered on Playstation". General public now thinks free game upgrades are only possible on Xbox.
2. It was never ever up to a platform holder to dictate this model but always up to the publisher - which sometimes can be owned by a platform holder: Xbox/PS internal studios - whether this free cross-generation upgrade is being offered to the customer. We finally had see some publishers (EA, CD Project RED, SQ) coming forward with some info on which games will be offering free upgrades on both systems (FIFA, CyberPunk, Avengers etc.). The feeling is though, Microsoft was ahead with it as they had some permission to brag about Cyberpunk early...
3. As always, publishers will do whatever is best for their business. If cross-gen upgrades will influence buyers' decisions - publishers will offer it. They rather sell a single copy of the game than none.

Your thoughts?

Kev Kev

i didnt know this was a thing until recently and i think its really cool regardless of which console were talking about. this doesnt feel like an xbox vs sony thing, just a neat consumer friendly thing involving the whole industry.

maybe there are some good arguments against implementing this but as someone who isnt going to be buying a next gen console anytime soon, i really appreciate it.

Top Bottom