• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game (UK) will not honour scalper sales of PS5: 1 customer = 1 sale

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.vg247.com/2021/01/20/uk-game-ps5-scalpers/

In a statement to VGC, the company said that it was checking any orders made to make sure that each customer is buying just one PS5. This comes in the wake of GAME having a restock of Sony’s new and highly sought after console on Tuesday, January 19, which resulted in huge digital queues of people trying to snap up stock.

All pre-orders are subject to automatic checks and order updates such as cancellations following these checks take place after a customer will have received a valid order confirmation email. At the present time, these orders are still pre-orders and as such, no payments have yet been taken from customers. Payments will commence once our order checks have been completed.”

“We have strong measures in place to help ensure that our ‘1 per customer’ statement is maintained to allow for as many individual customers to successfully purchase as possible.

So looks as though they will take the preorders but just roll them back. Guess it makes more sense than trying to write complicated anti-bot software. I'm not sure how the carnage bot works but I guess it ties to an email address/account rather than allowing hundreds of burner emails?

NikuNashi

This doesn't solve the problem. Pro resellers hire people to buy for them, many people. So a bot will have for example 10 slots, each with a different person's email address, delivery address and CC info, run the bot and bingo you have 10 orders all to different people that will not be any different than a normal order.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
not sure you are aware of this.. but a scalper is not really interested in only a 1k flip
hardly worth the effort

Not every scalper has to have an entire room full of hardware to shift, it can be literally anyone who sells an item for more than RRP on eBay. £1000 profit for the "effort" of going to the post office is huge.

GamingKaiju

Great to see retailers combating the scalper/bot epidemic just wish they could do the same for the GPU market. In a couple of months once manufacturers can bring supply upto demand levels I hope these scalpers have to sell for RRP or less but they probably already made a profit.

Tommi84

fuck households that want 2 i guess?
Why would a household want 3 consoles? It's difficult as it is to get a console for now.

Especially that it's one per customer so I guess you maybe able to create a new account for that.

Anyways, good call. There's many households with zero consoles and you want to have 3?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
let's not kid ourselves on... they couldn't give a fuck who buys it. they'll be over the moon if someone wants to buy 10. that's £4.5K right there! they don't care what people are gonna do with them whether that be actually playing on it, selling it on for a profit, or smashing it up or firing it out a window.

government is putting pressure on them so need to be seen to do something. GAME is a business and they are only interested in money. they aren't fighting for the gamers!!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Yeah. Fuck households that want two.
people need to learn to share. there's no need for 2 of the same consoles in a house. just use the same one for goodness sake. if they wanna buy two then fine but at least wait until it's easier to get hold of one. it's pure greed buying 2 consoles for yourself when you know there are millions out there that want one but can't get one.

Orta

Banned
fuck households that want 2 i guess?
what bullshit this is

make like a limit of 3 or something

Yeah, fuck them. Who the hell needs two PS5's ffs.

4unvr1.jpg

Roufianos

Just wish these cunts would stop trying to flog their shitty merch with every XSX.

Seem to be the only company getting regular stock too, give it to someone else MS.

Three

let's not kid ourselves on... they couldn't give a fuck who buys it. they'll be over the moon if someone wants to buy 10. that's £4.5K right there! they don't care what people are gonna do with them whether that be actually playing on it, selling it on for a profit, or smashing it up or firing it out a window.

government is putting pressure on them so need to be seen to do something. GAME is a business and they are only interested in money. they aren't fighting for the gamers!!

Take a look at my post from July before the consoles released as to why limiting to one per customer benefits the retailer and the hardware manufacturer:

Last edited:

Neff

they'll be over the moon if someone wants to buy 10.

GAME doesn't just want to sell consoles. They want to sell accessories, e-credit vouchers, and, well... games. They need customers who a) have the console and b) still have money to spend thanks to not being massively ripped off to do that.

D.Final

Banned
Source: https://www.vg247.com/2021/01/20/uk-game-ps5-scalpers/

In a statement to VGC, the company said that it was checking any orders made to make sure that each customer is buying just one PS5. This comes in the wake of GAME having a restock of Sony’s new and highly sought after console on Tuesday, January 19, which resulted in huge digital queues of people trying to snap up stock.

All pre-orders are subject to automatic checks and order updates such as cancellations following these checks take place after a customer will have received a valid order confirmation email. At the present time, these orders are still pre-orders and as such, no payments have yet been taken from customers. Payments will commence once our order checks have been completed.”

“We have strong measures in place to help ensure that our ‘1 per customer’ statement is maintained to allow for as many individual customers to successfully purchase as possible.

So looks as though they will take the preorders but just roll them back. Guess it makes more sense than trying to write complicated anti-bot software. I'm not sure how the carnage bot works but I guess it ties to an email address/account rather than allowing hundreds of burner emails?

Better letter than never, I guess.
But why don't do this already on DayOne?

devilNprada

Too little too late. But scalpers still have a way of getting around this.
This...
Scalpers aren't really after them at this point are they? Now you're competing with legit shoppers.

Since launch in the US everyone that I know that really wanted one has gotten one. Half assed people not paying much attention are next up...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
When will this scalper thing be over? I just wanna be able to walk into a Walmart and pick up a PS5, no stress. I've literally given up on PS5 and 3080s at this point.

V4skunk

Banned
If you can't get a ps5 don't worry about it.
It isn't like there is a big hitter aaa exclusive god game that you are missing out on.

Top Bottom