• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass vs $70: The ‘MLB The Show’ Xbox Deal Is A Bad Look For Sony [Forbes article]

MonarchJT

Banned
Gamepass is a double edge sword.
It's both good and bad for gamers.
Gamepass works good for older games to keep bringing in revenue but not day one revenue.

Everyone forgetting the developers.
Without selling the game at full price, funding for the next game will be low, thus affecting the developers.
This is why developers don't like GameStop.

Jim Rayan had a good take on why game pass is not good for PlayStation.
Games are getting more expensive, 100 mil+. Gamepass is just not sustainable for development cost.
Which is why PlayStation games cost $70, development cost is rising.
So we as gamers can continue to get high quality bangers like GOW and TLOU.

Nobody knows how much Microsoft had to pay to put MLB on gamepass.
If gamepass sells more, at the end of the day it's still bringing in the less revenue.

So how does Gamepass work for developers and the next game development?
It's all fun and games until Microsoft Game Studios start pushing out Crackdown 3 quality games on Gamepass.
the thing is how many PlayStation games do you think have budgets above 100m? answer sincerely, perhaps taking the ps4 generation as an example

Quezacolt

Maybe, just maybe i dont care agout gamepass, and instead prefer to pay for something that i can own, and not simply rent for as long as i pay a sub.
Anod no, this doesnt come from a sony fanboy, even if i owned a series x/s, wich i dont, since i dont like the way MS is going after the 360, i still wouldnt get gamepass.

For people like me, this discussion seems really dumb.

Concern

For fanboys like me, this discussion seems really dumb.

Then why are you here?

OT: this thread has really taken off. The amount of meltdowns over this is amusing. Nothing changes for PlayStation owners. But the gamepass hate really has fanboys mad anyway.

Its not a good look for Sony but fanboys always trying to spin everything they do into a positive light, only encourages more shit like this.

So yes, enjoy paying $70 for a yearly release with microtransactions, while other people will gladly "rent" it and also enjoy a 20% discount off the game if they so choose to buy it.

Interesting to see how Sony will react.
they will react by getting more people to purchase their tokens and actually seeing GP numbers. They can taste that Fifa money, plus its their trojan horse to lure hardcore MLB whales to get the superior version that their superior input interface offers. They are after the whales, not the cheapos who can only afford GP and cant even afford a brand new retail game.

Concern

they will react by getting more people to purchase their tokens and actually seeing GP numbers. They can taste that Fifa money, plus its their trojan horse to lure hardcore MLB whales to get the superior version that their superior input interface offers. They are after the whales, not the cheapos who can only afford GP and cant even afford a brand new retail game.

At first I thought this was a joke. Then I saw your post history and realized you're serious....

ray liotta laughing GIF

Then why are you here?

OT: this thread has really taken off. The amount of meltdowns over this is amusing. Nothing changes for PlayStation owners. But the gamepass hate really has fanboys mad anyway.

Its not a good look for Sony but fanboys always trying to spin everything they do into a positive light, only encourages more shit like this.

So yes, enjoy paying $70 for a yearly release with microtransactions, while other people will gladly "rent" it and also enjoy a 20% discount off the game if they so choose to buy it.
you really think Sony is hurting over MLB fans who cant even afford buying a retail game and stick to GP? with all these yearly sports franchises, they only care about the whales who spend on the extras. It has been a fact forever with FIfa, 2k and Madden. You think they care about people whos gaming budget can only sustain something like gamepass?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Do you think they could put the game on PSNow, or PSPLus, and take the financial hit for the good PR?.
I wouldnt be toitally surprised. Sometimes good PR is worth more than money.

I want this to put more pressure on the $70 pricetag and also to force Sony's hand to put it on PS Plus, and Now while at it. I can see this will ruin the game going forward and it'll follow the FIFA philosophy and might end up being always tied to GamePass, PS Plus, PS Now. Actually FIFA and other annual reskins should be all F2P.

Stuart360

I want this to put more pressure on the $70 pricetag and also to force Sony's hand to put it on PS Plus, and Now while at it. I can see this will ruin the game going forward and it'll follow the FIFA philosophy and might end up being always tied to GamePass, PS Plus, PS Now. Actually FIFA and other annual reskins should be all F2P.
See i dont want that to happen as i know a lot of Sony fans love the game. I'd rather Microsoft sit down with Sony for next years game, and work out some financial deal where Microsoft pay Sony to keep making the game for PS and Xbox.
I'd rather that than Sony just give up on the game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony reaction:

WAYhsPj.gif

Nope, I think Xbox never put any pressure on Sony, and it's already embarrassing that Ghostwire and Deathloop are Xbox first party games that are exclusive to PS5 making the Xbox platform pretty dry. This feels like a retaliation, which is very good and hope they keep fighting each other so they end up fighting to provide the best deals for us.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
See i dont want that to happen as i know a lot of Sony fans love the game. I'd rather Microsoft sit down with Sony for next years game, and work out some financial deal where Microsoft pay Sony to keep making the game for PS and Xbox.
I'd rather that than Sony just give up on the game.

Can't see Sony dropping the license, they would rather burn it to the ground if it wasn't profitable enough for them. This is indeed will damage their digital and physical copies heavily, but can't see the GP deal being a cheap one. As Phil said, there are many methods to get games on GP, paying upfront, paying for development money are some of them. I can only imagine the game going to be more MTX heavy like all the shitty sport games before with "surprise" mechanics. We need to know that F2P games are the most profitable games now, so maybe they're testing new grounds here.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm hoping this starts a trend where all games, including AAA third party titles are on Gamepass day one.

No arguing with that; great value for GamePass and Xbox gamers, and while it'll cost you more, you can still buy it on PS4 & PS5 (and buy it for a bit less on Xbox if you're subbed to GamePass).

I expect more of these type of power deals from MS WRT GamePass going forward and it'll be interesting to see what Sony can secure for PS Now in that respect. For example, I don't expect SF6 to be an exclusive, but I can easily see Sony getting some deal with that on PS Now (although since you can't download the games to play natively on PS Now that somewhat limits its usefulness) or providing it as a freebie to PS+ subscribers for the launch month. At the same time I can see Microsoft doing similar things, only with GamePass primarily.

I think both companies will ease off a bit on timed exclusivity deals after 2022 or so because their 1P content should be more regular and I think timed exclusivity deals are starting to be looked at more unfavorably by gamers in comparison to deals that create genuine value-add instead of depriving 3P games from another platform altogether. So, more stuff like timed exclusivity in GamePass/PS Now Day-and-Date.

Alright

Banned
I assume to publish a PlayStation title MS would have to pay the platform fee like anyone else or to give a cut of each title sold to Sony. If MS is going to pay all that money for Bethesda then I assume they’ll be looking to help sell more xboxes not PlayStations.

Your argument about selling more azure servers and the PR of looking like a good guy is a good one. That argument is also why they should launch Gears of War and Forza Horizon on PS5 then. To get online PlayStation gamers using more azure servers while simultaneously looking pro gamer.

It doesn't have to be either or. You don't have to put every exclusive on every platform just because you put one exclusive on other platforms. Microsoft did this with Minecraft, why is it so hard to understand that they can do it again?
Nah, they will be on gamepass day one and not on PS5. That looks even better. 😉 Excluding games like TES Online, and Fallout 76.
Only exclusives will come to gamepass, with the exception of these two exclusives because reasons?

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Stuart360

It doesn't have to be either or. You don't have to put every exclusive on every platform just because you put one exclusive on other platforms. Microsoft did this with Minecraft, why is it so hard to understand that they can do it again?

Only exclusives will come to gamepass, with the exception of these two exclusives because reasons?

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF
Man your posts really are making me question my memory (which is bad to be fair). Didnt Phil literally just come out a coupl;e of months ago and say there will be no Bethesda games coming to Playstation, outside of ones that already exist, or ones that already have a contract (like those 2 Bethesda games already coming to PS5)?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Didn't watch the video yet but did he also mention how long it takes to copy a PS4 game from an external back and forth to the SSD? My PS5 accidentally installed my PS4 Avengers disc to the SSD (I wanted it on the external) and it took over an hour to copy to the external. Copying from the XSX SSD to an external is super fast in comparison.

And when you copy a PS4 game from the SSD to external on the PS5 you're stuck on the copying screen for the duration. So I had to sit and look at a progress bar for an hour while it copied. The Xbox can do that in the background.
Never knew about this lousy copying system on PS systems. I did know that it has some quirky thing about needing buffer space, but not the slow times.

And I thought every modern console you could do things in the background while a game installs.

Hugare

Yes because people love ❤️ to pay $70 to $100 depending on market for a fucking game. That is why Microsoft is being extremely successful with Gamepass.
"Extremely successful" lol

So sucessful that they wont even show how profitable it is. "But trust me, bro"

Sony put the price at $70 because people buy them anyway. Again, vot with your wallet.

What MS is doing is basicaly subsidizing with Game Pass. So of course its good for customers, but it wont last.
It's their strategy because they are at 3rd place and they have deep pockets.
No competitor, Sony or Nintendo will do the same, because they are not fucking idiots.

Sony may offer a similar service but it will be much worse since they wont put 1st party titles at launch and moneyhat 3rd party support.

Like Sony waited and looked how MS introduced Xbox Live? Gamers win?
Paid online is VERY profitable

Game Pass is not

Not hard to understand the difference

sinnergy

Sony put the price at $70 because people buy them anyway. Again, vot with your wallet.

What MS is doing is basicaly subsidizing with Game Pass. So of course its good for customers, but it wont last.
No competitor, Sony or Nintendo will do the same, because they are not fucking idiots.

Sony may offer a similar service but it will be much worse since they wont put 1st party titles at launch and moneyhat 3rd party support.

Game Pass is not

in a world where subscription services dominate .. right

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Game Pass is not

Whether or not GP is profitable who cares. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't.

As I said to you before, the key thing is customers getting great value, which they are. And MS is big enough to absorb any hit. So gamers win.

You couldn't even find info about PS Now being profitable either. So Sony should junk that service too. If it was profitable they'd be bragging about it.

Stuart360

As I said to you before, the key thing is customers getting great value, which they are. And MS is big enough to absorb any hit. So gamers win.

You couldn't even find info about PS Now being profitable either. So Sony should junk that service too. If it was profitable they'd be bragging about it.
Thats the problem with certain sections. All they care about is 'profit', 'console sales', etc.
They will still be creaming over the same stuff as the industry evolves and moves past them.

Last edited:

Hugare

"Whether or not GP is profitable who cares"

Because companies pay their bills with love from customers and not with money, right?

Do you guys live in Wonderland or something?

When MS leaves 3rd place, maybe Sony and Nintendo will start paying attention. Doing what the looser team is doing when you are way ahead in profits would be stupid.

I bet that PS Now is not that profitable, but its not bleeding money because of it either. It just has a bunch of old games. Sony doesnt need to moneyhat exclusives and put 1st party titles on launch day.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thats the problem with certain sections. All they care about is 'profit', 'console sales', etc.
They will still be creaming over the same stuff as the industry involves and moves past them.
It's got to a point console warriors morphed into armchair accountants for products and services which even MS and Sony doesn't care enough to give them their own detailed financial charts in earnings reports.

Wow.

Fredrik

in a world where subscription services dominate .. right
Prices will go up. But those who still don’t realize subscription is where the industry is heading and is stubbornly sitting on the fence are missing out on the golden age of this era. Sooner or later we’ll need to subscribe to multiple services, at higher monthly fees, just like we do with movies and TV shows. Within 10 years I think it’ll seem odd to buy individual games, it’ll be like buying music CDs.

thelastword

Banned
Ok let's see here.

This is a deal made with MS and the MLB, I don't think Sony was involved or Jim Ryan was involved here, I'm talking the gamepass deal....Yet, I see the writing on the wall. If the MLB wanted the franchise to go multiplatform, nothing wrong with that, but they forget who is developing the game.....

I think Sony already has San Diego pegged for a bigger franchise, this may be San Diego's last year developing MLB The Show, so who is going to take over and make top quality baseball games anymore? San Diego is a very talented group.....It's about time to give them something that can win GOTY's and graphics crowns. People sleep on them, but should realize that San Diego is a technical monster with graphics just like any of Sony's bigger studios, more people need to see that with a franchise that penetrates beyond a baseball game.....In the here and now though, I can see Sony raking in money from DLC and Store cuts from the MS store, so they are still benefitting......It's also not impossible for Sony to put the game up as a PSPLUS game at launch too....

I mean its def not a good look, anybody with both consoles I imagine will get the game on Xbox unless they have a league on PSN or something

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Prices will go up. But those who still don’t realize subscription is where the industry is heading and is stubbornly sitting on the fence are missing out on the golden age of this era. Sooner or later we’ll need to subscribe to multiple services, at higher monthly fees, just like we do with movies and TV shows. Within 10 years I think it’ll seem odd to buy individual games, it’ll be like buying music CDs.
Yup.

Like CDs and movies, they can still be there. You can still buy BR. You can even buy 4k as that's even supported. For key artists, Walmart still sells CDs believe it or not. So for music and movie purists you can still buy them for $20 each. And if a physical copy isnt available you can still buy a digital file outright from various places. You can still go nuts like it's 2002 buying $1000s of CDs and DVDs.

And how many people do that now? Almost none. It's all online music, Spotify, NF etc... $10-15/mth is ok. $1000-1500/yr to buy things outright is not ok.

Last edited:
Sony just keeps on taking L's all over the place. Nintendo have ousted then from their home turf and America is going to return to the Xbox fold. Pretty soon all they are gonna have left is France and Sony can't even appeal to them anymore because they censor all the games with little school girls in bikinis.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

how sony allowed this to happen is beyond me
My guess is their contract to keep MLB exclusivity rights for development meant MLB had full control as publisher for non-Sony platforms. If Sony didn't agree, they would lose exclusive rights to the MLB license.

Alright

Banned
Man your posts really are making me question my memory (which is bad to be fair). Didnt Phil literally just come out a coupl;e of months ago and say there will be no Bethesda games coming to Playstation, outside of ones that already exist, or ones that already have a contract (like those 2 Bethesda games already coming to PS5)?
Sort of. He said he wouldn't change any contracts, which means PlayStation will be getting the MMOs (ESO and F76) and any contracts that were previously approved. (Spencer said "Xbox, PC and gamepass which I thought was a strange thing to say as Gamepass isn't it's own entity, it is a service available to only xbox and PC)

What nobody knows is how many pre-approved contracts exist for upcoming games.

Then we have people failing to see the wood for the trees; Xbox didn't buy Bethesda for games, Microsoft bought Zenimax for??? and Bethesda was a bonus that could fit straight in to the Xbox division and bolster their studios. Is there much point in paying 343i AND several smaller studios making assets for doom and fallout? Nope.

Personally I believe Zenimax were bought for their VR/AR IPs and experience.

Then we have Spencer saying that Xbox Gamepass wants to be the Netflix of gaming, which means gamepass on every device, which would also play in to the strategy of streaming content through GP on to other platforms.

ManaByte

Gold Member
And I thought every modern console you could do things in the background while a game installs.
The PS5 can install games in the background. But copying a PS4 game back and forth from the SSD to external can't be done in the background and it takes forever.

dcmk7

Banned
Oh yeah... Forbes...

pls give game at launch :(

"videogame journalist"

Bu.. buu...buuut GAF told me he's a PlayStation fan.

This is totally false. Paul Tassi predominantly plays on the PS5. He is a Sony fan. A video he made was called:

How would PS5 lose him to Xbox if he is so Xbox biased? It's like you guys can't even fathom that some one might like the Xbox platform even sane Sony guys.

MaulerX

MLB wanted the game multi-platform and made the announcement in 2019.

MLB foot the bill for the Xbox version because that's what publishers do.

Phil Spencer took advantage of this and went directly to MLB to drop a sack of money.

MLB accepted and here we are: MLB The Show is on Game Pass day one.

After the uproar Sony was left looking like this: 😐

Dabaus

Banned
Outriders in the Uk debuted at 86 percent physical sales between Ps5/4 and Xbox. 86 percent on PlayStation. Look I know we can say “muh digital sales” as a cope for Xbox but 62 percent of PlayStation sales in 2020 were digital so it’s not like the PlayStation audience doesn’t buy digital as well. If other third party games are 86 percent sold on PlayStation, well idk but these day one gamespass deals must be costing ms through the nose to make up for the lack of sales.

Outriders in the Uk debuted at 86 percent physical sales between Ps5/4 and Xbox. 86 percent on PlayStation. Look I know we can say “muh digital sales” as a cope for Xbox but 62 percent of PlayStation sales in 2020 were digital so it’s not like the PlayStation audience doesn’t buy digital as well. If other third party games are 86 percent sold on PlayStation, well idk but these day one gamespass deals must be costing ms through the nose to make up for the lack of sales.
Unsustainable?

Leyasu

Banned
Do you have the sales numbers for disc and digital together?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

It's simple. Sony could make it as free game on PS+ and use MS's money to recover development cost. It's win-win
Why not make it better by selling it cheap on Xbox and sell it more expensive to PlayStation users to recover development cost?

It's more money right there. Win win.

The amount of spin in here is laughable and the people that defend Jim “sit on his hands” Ryan and his direction with the ps5 are pretty deluded

it’s an extremely crap look to charge your customers for a game that was one of your exclusive titles when your competitors give it to them for free.

Top Bottom