• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass vs $70: The ‘MLB The Show’ Xbox Deal Is A Bad Look For Sony [Forbes article]

Brofist

Gamepass isn't free, it's an effect that by diluting the cost during multiple subs makes it seem (and ultimately it is) much cheaper. If the only weapon who people have to defend the 140€ which you need to play outriders and mbl on ps5 (in a period where the people has economic problems due to the covid) against 9.99 of the xsx is the devaluation of the perceived value of the games. Honestly, I guess nobody genuinely gives a fuck about devaluing the perceived value of video games hahaha
That $70 copy of MLB Show on PS5 is gonna be in the bargain bin by the end of the year. They don't need Game Pass to devalue the value of that one

Redlancet

Banned
two jobs?
Better than none like yours, btw why people are acting as if buying the game is the same as renting (Yup thats gamepass for you in third party games)? The only ones not making money from this deal its ms, now thats ironic

Last edited:

nikolino840

Not sure why its such a bad look for Sony and PlayStation owners.
Play Station owners knew they were going to have to buy if they wanted to play it any way.

It's not like Sony has ever launched any 1st party game Day 1 on their service.

Nothing has changed for Play Station gamers.

Still get the game day 1.
At the normal price of all 1st party Sony games that you already knew you were going to pay before the PS5 launched of $70.

Not sure why people are making a big deal out of nothing. You all knew that PS exclusives on day 1 were going to cost $70 and if you still bought a PS5 (especially the DE) then you were ok with that.
There's day one ps5 games with ps+ ..they can put this also for balancing the offers

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think maybe the part that some are missing here is that with every big name game that comes on gamepass, whether it be an ms exlusive or not, chips away at sony armor.

The gamer who hasn't decided yet what console to buy this generation starts to hear they can get more value from what they buy, it might turn them from a ps5. Ms doesn't suffer from being the inferior/weaker console this time with a kinect forced attached, they have good hardware, a strong group of first party studios, and are dumping money into gamepass to attract customers. Sony should be worried that they may start to lose customers.

We've seen this before in other generations, a brand name and history goes to a point, but some magic combination of games, hardware and pricing has definately swung harware wars in the past despite one player having a dominant position in the previous generation.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Gamepass isn't free, it's an effect that by diluting the cost during multiple subs makes it seem (and ultimately it is) much cheaper. If the only weapon who people have to defend the 140€ which you need to play outriders and mbl on ps5 (in a period where the people has economic problems due to the covid) against 9.99 of the xsx is the devaluation of the perceived value of the games. Honestly, I guess nobody genuinely gives a fuck about devaluing the perceived value of video games hahaha
It is £14.99 if you want online and some DLC, but keep deflecting that the fee you pay MS is not the same thing as the money that was going to the publisher/game developer before ?people shouting “cool, I do not have to buy game A” and “no GPU does not hurt game sales” is still hilarious and the answer you gave was essentially… nothing, you just ignored it)… bonus points for using the COVID pandemic economic struggle as a console war shield…

About the comment against the erosion of perceived game value, I hope you will not be amongst the surprised complainers if the industry becomes similar to the sunlit uplands that are mobile game stores like Google Play and Apple’s App Store…

Last edited:
I'm an Xbox "fanboy" but the negative Playstation press lately has been a bit over the top. Sure, it's disappointing that Sony have no interest in Japanese developed games anymore but the PS5 situation isn't anywhere near as bad as the Mattrick era for Xbox.

PS5 has lost a little of its luster but it's on track to match the PS4 in terms of greatness IMO.

Elias

Personally I think Sony has been in that position for quite some time already. Same thing with Nintendo. Seems to do alright anyway.
That worked for the last generation because MS first party offering wasn't as strong... probably not gonna be the case this gen considering all the first party games MS has already announced even before they bought Bethesda (Forza Motosport, Avowed, Hellbade 2, Sate of Decay 3, Fable, Everwild) etc.

zedinen

Looking more and more like PS2 vs Xbox gen.

- MS and friends control the narrative.

- Xbox minor victories (MGS2s, price cuts, power gap) were treated as something more important than it really were.

-Top Xbox games (Morrowind, Halo, KOTOR, Panzer Dragon, Jade Empire) were supposed to kill the PS2.

-At the end, the PS2 was unstoppable due to network effects (demand-side economies of scale) and nonstop barrage of good games.

-PS5 widens the gap faster than the PS4; MM is the first system seller of the ninth gen, accompanied by DS, AP and PS+C; PS4 got TLOU, GOT and free games like HOR and RC, software sales and services are growing at a record pace ...

No wonder MS wants to remove Ryan by targeting useful idiots within the PS community.

I don’t think Outriders or MLB will move the needle much on their own, but together they start to create the idea that ANY game could land on game pass at or around launch. That perception keeps people subscribed and can sway fence-sitters over the course of the generation. Most people will probably never play Outriders or The Show, and even fewer will play both, but the ”game pass is just filler garbage” narrative is on life support.

ManaByte

This guy is absolutely destroying PS5 and I'm only 13 min into his 19 min video.

Lots of criticisms nobody ever brings up here. That part about the copying phase that takes forever is insane. You didn't even get lethargic patch systems like that on 360.

Didn't watch the video yet but did he also mention how long it takes to copy a PS4 game from an external back and forth to the SSD? My PS5 accidentally installed my PS4 Avengers disc to the SSD (I wanted it on the external) and it took over an hour to copy to the external. Copying from the XSX SSD to an external is super fast in comparison.

And when you copy a PS4 game from the SSD to external on the PS5 you're stuck on the copying screen for the duration. So I had to sit and look at a progress bar for an hour while it copied. The Xbox can do that in the background.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned

- Xbox minor victories (MGS2s, price cuts, power gap) were treated as something more important than it really were.

-Top Xbox games (Morrowind, Halo, KOTOR, Panzer Dragon, Jade Empire) were supposed to kill the PS2.

-At the end, the PS2 was unstoppable due to network effects (demand-side economies of scale) and nonstop barrage of good games.

-PS5 widens the gap faster than the PS4; MM is the first system seller of the ninth gen, accompanied by DS, AP and PS+C; PS4 got TLOU, GOT and free games like HOR and RC, software sales and services are growing at a record pace ...

No wonder MS wants to remove Ryan by targeting useful idiots within the PS community.
Again, people are not understanding what is happening. Ms doesn't need to kill playstation. Every gen we have seen a merciless fight to contend for those ~ 180/200 million users who buy consoles every gen. Things have changed, at least for Microsoft, releasing on Windows already has a user base since the launch of the console that will inevitably increase the software sales. They no longer have to play dirty to grab console users when Steam alone grants them 120+ million users. All they will continue to do is to make gamepass more and more attractive and to pass the competition, as is happening in this case with the ps5 , as a highly unfavorable choice, and honestly looking at outriders and mbl it is objective is

Last edited:

ManaByte

MM is the first system seller of the ninth gen, accompanied by DS, AP and PS+C; PS4 got TLOU, GOT and free games like HOR and RC, software sales and services are growing at a record pace ...
List WARZ!

Again, people are not understanding what is happening. Ms doesn't need to kill playstation. Every gen we have seen a merciless fight to contend for those ~ 180/200 million users who buy consoles every gen. Things have changed, at least for Microsoft, releasing on Windows already has a user base since the launch of the console that will inevitably increase the software sales. They no longer have to play dirty to grab console users when Steam alone grants them 120+ million users. All they will continue to do is to make gamepass more and more attractive and to pass the competition, as is happening in this case with the ps5 , as a highly unfavorable choice, and honestly looking at outriders and mbl it is objective is

This. It's all about the service now. People said the same thing about MS Office when it went to a sub. Now who buys Office for $400?

Last edited:

Fredrik

That worked for the last generation because MS first party offering wasn't as strong... probably not gonna be the case this gen considering all the first party games MS has already announced even before they bought Bethesda (Forza Motosport, Avowed, Hellbade 2, Sate of Decay 3, Fable, Everwild) etc.
Yeah but even if Sony only put out 5 exclusive system sellers over the generation, 5 potential GOTY games - It still takes a lot to simply skip them. There is no good alternative solution here that will end with a lost sale. All we can do is wait a bit, maybe jump in later for a Slim/Pro/BigSSD revision, in the end they’ll still end with another sold console.

Also, PSVR2 is coming too, could be the thing that really makes Playstation stand out from Xbox and Gamepass.

MonarchJT

Banned
Yeah but even if Sony only put out 5 exclusive system sellers over the generation, 5 potential GOTY games - It still takes a lot to simply skip them. There is no good alternative solution here that will end with a lost sale. All we can do is wait a bit, maybe jump in later for a Slim/Pro/BigSSD revision, in the end they’ll still end with another sold console.

Also, PSVR2 is coming too, could be the thing that really makes Playstation stand out from Xbox and Gamepass.
Also from this point of view, it would be good to re-read old interviews with Phil Spencer, it all started with the hardware of the S and the One X to re-propose itself with the X series which on paper seems to be the most powerful of the consoles ... then they fixed the operating system, which on the One had a lot of boring things, and now on new consoles it's lightning fast. then they launched gamepass which immediately became the reference service for the entire industry and with the unification of the platforms they will hardly have problems selling software or lack of users in multiplayer games. Immediately after this they started with huge investments on First party studios and today they have the highest number of studios than Sony and Nintendo .. almost doubling the number of teams that Sony has. We all know the quality of Sony titles. But hardly 4 or 5 blockbusters in a gen will be able to compete at First party level. Will they be "must have" games? Yes probably all that it produces naughty dog it is, but I don't know if it is worth spending 500 euros to have the ps5 as the primary console for 2 titles by naughty and 2 by Sony santa monica. We'll see. Probably I'll take a slim or second hand ps5 at the end of the gen when usually naughty dog launch their big hit, so as to have the maximum user reach.

Certainly this is not 2013 and today's Ms with Nadella and Spencer is not that of Ballmer and Mattrick

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Also from this point of view, it would be good to re-read old interviews with Phil Spencer, it all started with the hardware of the S and the One X to re-propose itself with the X series beast of hw ... then they fixed the operating system, which on the One had a lot of boring things, and now on new consoles it's lightning fast. then they launched gamepass which immediately became the reference service for the entire industry and with the unification of the platforms they will hardly have problems selling software or lack of users in multiplayer games. Immediately after this they started with huge investments on First party studios and today they have the highest number of studios than Sony and Nintendo .. almost doubling the number of teams that Sony has. We all know the quality of Sony titles. But hardly 4 or 5 blockbusters in a gen will be able to compete at First party level. Will they be "must have" games? Yes probably all that it produces naughty dog it is, but I don't know if it is worth spending 500 euros to have the ps5 as the primary console for 2 titles by naughty and 2 by Sony santa monica. We'll see. Probably I'll take a slim or second hand ps5 at the end of the gen when usually naughty dog launch their big hit, so as to have the maximum user reach
It is fine, you have have PS5 for $399 anyways ;).

Alright

Banned
I hope so. I assume they aren’t coming to PS5 at all.
They are.

Why?

Because not only does Sony then pay for Microsofts' deal, Microsoft look like the good guy for letting non xbox gamers still play TES and Microsoft need Sony to use Azure as much as possible. If Microsoft release fallout 77 and have it on oc xbox and ps5, they sell more server space, which is Microsofts MO atm

Shmunter

It doesn't have to. It's standalone. You don't need to be tethered to a box to use it. Room scale VR is 1000x better when you don't have a cable dangling from your head.
Is it as powerful as a PS5, or more like a mobile processor?

I mean, what makes it better apart from a portable experience? I think you’re comparing totally different products and audience.

Papacheeks

Banned
I love all these threads over 1 game that Sony has no control over because they don't own the license. Not like this is going to happen going forward for other titles.

This is a drop in the bucket, and people think that one title will auto make people go buy an xbox and gamepass to play mlb. When in 6-8 months it will be free on ps now.

The same gamepass chest beaters are in here as usual.

Pretty funny. Once we get closer to June narrative is going to change.

sn0man

They are.

Why?

Because not only does Sony then pay for Microsofts' deal, Microsoft look like the good guy for letting non xbox gamers still play TES and Microsoft need Sony to use Azure as much as possible. If Microsoft release fallout 77 and have it on oc xbox and ps5, they sell more server space, which is Microsofts MO atm
I assume to publish a PlayStation title MS would have to pay the platform fee like anyone else or to give a cut of each title sold to Sony. If MS is going to pay all that money for Bethesda then I assume they’ll be looking to help sell more xboxes not PlayStations.

Your argument about selling more azure servers and the PR of looking like a good guy is a good one. That argument is also why they should launch Gears of War and Forza Horizon on PS5 then. To get online PlayStation gamers using more azure servers while simultaneously looking pro gamer.

Keihart

comparing the PS5 to the PS2 gen...

snoop dogg smoking GIF

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
triying to paint outriders as something important its laughlable too,also both games are on ps5,you cant buy them,not RENT

MonarchJT

Banned
first accept people dont have problem spending games on money,this whole shenanigans of some gamepass zealots who are triying to ridiculise people who spend money on games is laughlable,get a job son
Ok I see that you are putting it personal, then I'll try to put it better.
I already have a job, dear and if you haven't figured it out yet I'll explain it to you this is not about buying a Lamborghini instead of taking the bus, obviously everyone spends money as they like. But here we are talking about having the same identical games the PlayStation user pays them 139 euros for the Xbox 9.99 one. get a brain before you spend or get advice from someone capable as you seem to have difficulty with basic concepts

Last edited:

CAB_Life

First, Paul Tassi is a headline-grabbing attention whore. That said, he's still right in this instance. A series traditionally associated with Sony for over a decade making its multiplatform debut on Xbox for free is embarrasing as fuck for Sony.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Buying sports games every year is unusual, gamers know to download updated rosters honestly mlb the show from 2019 is fine.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ok I see that you are putting it personal, then I'll try to put it better.
I already have a job, dear and if you haven't figured it out yet I'll explain it to you this is not about buying a Lamborghini instead of taking the bus, obviously everyone spends money as they like. But here we are talking about having the same identical games the PlayStation user pays them 139 euros for the Xbox 9.99 one. get a brain before you spend or get advice from someone capable as you seem to have difficulty with basic concepts
… and you think this is scalable or sustainable keeping the games from becoming live services dopamine traps like mobile huh huh…

MonarchJT

Banned
… and you think this is scalable or sustainable keeping the games from becoming live services dopamine traps like mobile huh huh…
Since we cannot contradict the convenience of the product as consumers, do we now move on to the corporate side? Cmon panaj you can do better. And I've repeated 8 million times, yes, gamepass reached a number of users 50+ k begins to be inevitably sustainable.

Elias

They are.

Why?

Nah, they will be on gamepass day one and not on PS5. That looks even better. 😉 Excluding games like TES Online, and Fallout 76.

squarealex

Oh yeah... Forbes...

pls give game at launch :(

"videogame journalist"

Loxus

Gamepass is a double edge sword.
It's both good and bad for gamers.
Gamepass works good for older games to keep bringing in revenue but not day one revenue.

Everyone forgetting the developers.
Without selling the game at full price, funding for the next game will be low, thus affecting the developers.
This is why developers don't like GameStop.

Jim Rayan had a good take on why game pass is not good for PlayStation.
Games are getting more expensive, 100 mil+. Gamepass is just not sustainable for development cost.
Which is why PlayStation games cost $70, development cost is rising.
So we as gamers can continue to get high quality bangers like GOW and TLOU.

Nobody knows how much Microsoft had to pay to put MLB on gamepass.
If gamepass sells more, at the end of the day it's still bringing in the less revenue.

So how does Gamepass work for developers and the next game development?
It's all fun and games until Microsoft Game Studios start pushing out Crackdown 3 quality games on Gamepass.

Top Bottom