• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass vs $70: The ‘MLB The Show’ Xbox Deal Is A Bad Look For Sony [Forbes article]

ManaByte

Gold Member
As I said before, this series only sells a million copies. There's not even a lot of money in this game to begin with compared to other game franchises.

But the reason why Sony still did it (making an Xbox version with GP access on day one) is because they got money to make it worth it.

The reason they did it was MLB told them to take it multi-plat or lose the license to EA.

Neo Blaster

As I said before, this series only sells a million copies. There's not even a lot of money in this game to begin with compared to other game franchises.

But the reason why Sony still did it (making an Xbox version with GP access on day one) is because they got money to make it worth it.
Sure, Jan, keep thinking it was Sony's call to put the game on GP day one...

Sony didn't approach them with a truckload of money like MS must have done. And they still want to sell games.
9pCekYy.jpg

GreatnessRD

Can someone explain to me how this is a bad look for Sony? You have some people who refuse to buy an Xbox, so Sony is getting their original money through PS4/PS5 sales. Xbox is an add-on revenue be it game pass or psychical game sales, so where is the bad look? Being on Xbox seems like a good thing since that's more installed players. With that said, fuck both of 'em because the game isn't on PC. :(

It being on Gamepass is not the worst part here for me, it's that it's cheaper to buy on Xbox. Sony need to give up on this $70 nonsense - complete piss take. They're treating their fans like complete mugs IMO. Hopefully most won't be so blind as to just accept it.

Neo Blaster

can't wait to see the reactions when microsoft has a meeting with marvel and brings the next spiderman to gamepass day one as well
:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Really curious how much MS would have to pay for a day one spiderman on GP...

Besides, Sony have some leverage regarding the character, even it being on movies.

MonarchJT

Banned
Sony didn't approach them with a truckload of money like MS must have done. And they still want to sell games.
you have to explain to me what this still changes for the end user. PS5 buyers will pay a minimum of $ 70 for this game, Xbox users $ 10. Who care who approached who. lol
You have to understand that only this month there are two 69.99 euro games on Ps5 that are on day One on GP (Outryders and now MBL) it's an exorbitant economic difference , to pay 139,98 dollars vs 9.99. There is no way to spin it. E x o r b i t a n t

Last edited:

Stuart360

Can someone explain to me how this is a bad look for Sony? You have some people who refuse to buy an Xbox, so Sony is getting their original money through PS4/PS5 sales. Xbox is an add-on revenue be it game pass or psychical game sales, so where is the bad look? Being on Xbox seems like a good thing since that's more installed players. With that said, fuck both of 'em because the game isn't on PC. :(
Sure -
You're right in the sense that nothing has actually changed for PS5 owners, they had to buy the game before this news, and they still have to buy the game after.
But from a publicity and PR angle, this looks awful for Playstation. Not only have they had to release one of their long time exclusives onto Xbox, but its also coming 'free' to Gamepass, while PS gamers have to spend at least $70 for the same game.
Microsoft couldnt of bought this kind of PR if they tried (although they technically did in a sense). Hense the reaction from the internet over this, and some of the fanboy meltdowns on this forum.
If you honestly cant see why this looks bad from a PR persepective, then i dont really know what to say.

Neo Blaster

you have to explain to me what this still changes for the end user. PS5 buyers will pay a minimum of $ 70 for this game, Xbox users $ 10. Who care who approached who. lol
I don't have to explain you anything, I was replying to another post regarding who had the say about the Gamepass deal.

GreatnessRD

Sure -

If you honestly cant see why this looks bad from a PR persepective, then i dont really know what to say.
So basically people are crying bout parity, lol. But it looks bad for Sony even though they're making more money and people still gonna buy regardless. Gotcha. So nothing to see here.

I do thank you for the explanation.

Terrible look for Sony. Yes, it’s only a baseball game (barely relevant even in US) but imagine if they do this with FIFA? It would be game over for Sony. I cannot imagine if Outriders are even selling on PS ecosystem right now (well, I have one PSN friend playing it, she sure looks stupid given the circumstances). Microsoft is dragging the whole industry down to its pathetic bottom.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I don't have to explain you anything, I was replying to another post regarding who had the say about the Gamepass deal.
Yes you should seen, that you started calling Paul tassi "a shill" ... let it be clear that he might as well be, but then again who cares? still ps5 users have to pay this month for two games 140 $ vs 10 $ if you play on xbox. There's no way to spin it

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Yes you should seen, that you started calling Paul tassi "a shill" ... let it be clear that he might as well be, but then again who cares? still ps5 users have to pay this month for two games 140 $ vs 10 $ if you play on xbox. There's no way to spin it
Did you see the original post I was replying to? The guy made a joke about a shill article, whom I replied he was right, the author has a history of bias towards Xbox. I'm not trying to spin anything here.

Last edited:
Lol people actually think Sony is getting the money from the gamepass deal? Yea MLB made the franchise multiplat to get more money to just turn around and give it to Sony who aren't even the publisher of the Xbox version XD.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Not up to Sony. MLB publishes the game on Xbox.
Hmmm. I didn't know this. Does this mean Xbox politely bitch slapped Sony?

By that, I mean...Xbox basically one-upped Sony on their own first party game by going over their head?

Last edited:
Lol people actually think Sony is getting the money from the gamepass deal? Yea MLB made the franchise multiplat to get more money to just turn around and give it to Sony who aren't even the publisher of the Xbox version XD.
But Sony 1st party studio is the Dev so they made the game so they must at least make some money of off the gamepass deal right i mean come on now.

But Sony 1st party studio is the Dev so they made the game so they must at least make some money of off the gamepass deal right i mean come on now.
Why would MLB give them any money? Sony is not the publisher and doesn't own the IP, they literally have zero pull to demand any money for this deal. All their entitled to is the development costs to make the Xbox version of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even find out about it until after it was a done deal.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why would MLB give them any money? Sony is not the publisher and doesn't own the IP, they literally have zero pull to demand any money for this deal. All their entitled to is the development costs to make the Xbox version of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even find out about it until after it was a done deal.
Sony doesn't own The Show?

So Sony will do everything MLB tells them to do for zero extra money.

Got it.

Im pretty sure the Dev also get a cut from gamepass cause of other deal cause we have other Devs saying they make money from gamepass wile not publishing their own games. So the Publisher and the Dev get a cut from gamepass.

Last edited:
Sony doesn't own The Show?

So Sony will do everything MLB tells them to do for zero extra money.

Got it.
They already got the dev costs for making the Xbox version. You think MLB seriously approached them and was like hey Microsoft offered us ___ Million to put the game day 1 on gamepass, you want a cut?

Im pretty sure the Dev also get a cut from gamepass cause of other deal cause we have other Devs saying they make money from gamepass wile not publishing their own games. So the Publisher and the Dev get a cut from gamepass.
Most cases its the developers game and the publisher is just publishing it. This isn't Sony's IP. I remember the Sonic Mania dev coming out and saying he was still living in his mom's basement and everyone was shocked. He said he got the initial dev costs for making the game and Sega didn't give him any money for how successful the game is, you know why? Cause Sega published it and Sega owns the IP,.

NahaNago

They should have just let other studios create baseball games rather than let mlb the show go to other platforms. The game only sells like a million copies anyways so why bother trying to be the only one making a baseball game and now it's on gamepass day one. Xbox just bitch slapped Sony with this game.

Most cases its the developers game and the publisher is just publishing it. This isn't Sony's IP. I remember the Sonic Mania dev coming out and saying he was still living in his mom's basement and everyone was shocked. He said he got the initial dev costs for making the game and Sega didn't give him any money for how successful the game is, you know why? Cause Sega published it and Sega owns the IP,.
So what your saying is MLB screw over Sony San Diego and that Sony San Diego will not see a dime from this gamepass deal if true than damn.

S0ULZB0URNE

No the reason is because Sony would of lost the license nothing more.
This has been known awhile.

Anyway Forbes just keep getting worse and worse.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Some Xbox fans complained that Phil was too much of a soft touch when it came to competing directly with Sony.

Well, here you go.
Sony was too aggressive trying to buy up endless partnership deals. In gaming, every console makers has share of deals, but it sure seemed like there were tons of timed exclusives Sony was opening up the coffers.

You don't wake a sleeping giant.

Just like in my industry. I've always worked for big companies, but never THE biggest one in the industry who has the most cash.

In meetings, you get all these crazy ideas about business strategy and when it gets too crazy some people will bring up the bigwig competing company. There's always a guy who brings up let's reduce the price and try to grab market share. Dont do anything too insane or they'll pony up the cash, deals and marketing and drop the price too. Then what? Now everyone is down price.

Sometimes, it's better to be happy with what you got and inch your way than trying to hoard everything.

Sony tried that and MS said fuck this, we're going to go nuts buying studios and GP. Pretty sure MS has money to spare when they make $50B profit per year. And that's even after factoring in Xbox which might even lose money. And they are still up $50B.

Last edited:
Did you see the original post I was replying to? The guy made a joke about a shill article, whom I replied he was right, the author has a history of bias towards Xbox. I'm not trying to spin anything here.
This is totally false. Paul Tassi predominantly plays on the PS5. He is a Sony fan. A video he made was called:

How would PS5 lose him to Xbox if he is so Xbox biased? It's like you guys can't even fathom that some one might like the Xbox platform even sane Sony guys.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is totally false. Paul Tassi predominantly plays on the PS5. He is a Sony fan. A video he made was called:

How would PS5 lose him to Xbox if he is so Xbox biased? It's like you guys can't even fathom that some one might like the Xbox platform even sane Sony guys.

This guy is absolutely destroying PS5 and I'm only 13 min into his 19 min video.

Lots of criticisms nobody ever brings up here. That part about the copying phase that takes forever is insane. You didn't even get lethargic patch systems like that on 360.

Last edited:

kevm3

This is a bad look for Sony period. Imagine if Halo was on PS5 to play as a subscription service but you had to pay $70 bucks to play on xbox. Obviously Halo is much bigger than the show in terms of popularity, but the same concept exists. If Microsoft can do a few more of these deals, they are going to give Sony problems... for example. the next Elder Scrolls is available day one on game pass, $70 on ps5. This is going to make a lot more people start looking Xbox's way. Sony also throwing old gens in the trash completely while Microsoft making all old gen games available is another point in Microsoft's directions. Sony does have a lot of nice first party exclusives and some nice 3rd party timed exclusives, but if they aren't showcasing them, then it's going to cause interest to dry up.

Keihart

Had no idea about this save system, how can it be worse than old cross save in games that had vita/ps3/ps4 versions? Best place to play no doubt.

sainraja

You're right in the sense that nothing has actually changed for PS5 owners, they had to buy the game before this news, and they still have to buy the game after.
But from a publicity and PR angle, this looks awful for Playstation. Not only have they had to release one of their long time exclusives onto Xbox, but its also coming 'free' to Gamepass, while PS gamers have to spend at least $70 for the same game.
Microsoft couldnt of bought this kind of PR if they tried (although they technically did in a sense). Hense the reaction from the internet over this, and some of the fanboy meltdowns on this forum.
Well, I would not say it's free. It is part of that $9-15 dollar subscription fee we are paying (I know, I know, many got theirs for a $1 or via some other promo.) But games available to us via PS+, Games with Gold and Game Pass are not free. There is a cost to it, just the value proposition is different. But yeah, it is not necessarily good for Sony from that perspective.

Last edited:

sainraja

You keep forgetting they own the rights and licensing besides being the publisher, hence they can do whatever they want with the port.
Another developer could have made the game instead of a Sony developer so I can't imagine that Sony had no insight. Now whether or not Sony knew about the game pass part, I dunno.

Top Bottom