• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass > Exclusivity

Should we close this thread

• Immediately

Votes: 41 75.9%
  • Read responses and then close it

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Delete it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Close it and show the effect of poor choices in polls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pull n Pray

Banned
This is not an anti-exclusive post. I understand that exclusives are a part of the console business. And obviously I'm sure most of you want exclusivity AND Game Pass. This poll is just to gauge what you value more. For me, it's Game Pass by a long shot.

As a consumer, exclusives give you an incentive to buy a console. But once you've made that purchase, exclusives provide no benefit other than the psychological benefits of affirming you made the right choice and giving you ammunition in online fanboy debates. Putting games into Game Pass, on the other hand, provides a tangible financial benefit. It was a different feeling watching Xbox's E3 knowing that I could play almost every game showcased for free* at launch. E3 has long been referred to as Christmas for gamers, but it never quite fit. It was like Christmas except you had to buy your own presents. But this year it really did feel like Christmas, and every Game Pass game showcased was like unwrapping a present. And honestly, I am way more excited about Hades and Back 4 Blood launching into Game Pass than I would be if they were exclusive but not launching into Game Pass. What about you?

*By free, I mean at no additional cost. As in, "buy one, get one free".

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
If I was a kid with all the time in the world, Gamepass would have been amazing. Today I prefer one or two extremely good games a year. My time is limited so quality is king.

Also, I don’t see GamePass competing with a strategy based around exclusivity. A game being exclusive or not has nothing to do with my enjoyment of it as long as I have access to it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm with you OP, I'm a lot more excited to see something like Back 4 Blood is coming to Game Pass day one and couldn't really give a shit that it's also coming out on PlayStation.

To take your logic a step further, it wouldn't really bother me to see something like Halo Infinite get a PlayStation 5 release (calm down everyone) because I'm already going to have the ability to play it on Game Pass anyway, why the fuck do I care who else "gets" to enjoy it?

GHG

Exclusives are required for the health of the industry. If not you may as well scrap consoles entirely and force everyone to game on PC's.

I'm a gamepass subscriber but I'm not fussed about it either way, I'd rather Microsoft continue to make exclusives for their platform than to give them away just for the sake of continuing some subscription service. I'm more than happy to pay for the exclusives I want.

Pull n Pray

Banned
I'm with you OP, I'm a lot more excited to see something like Back 4 Blood is coming to Game Pass day one and couldn't really give a shit that it's also coming out on PlayStation.

To take your logic a step further, it wouldn't really bother me to see something like Halo Infinite get a PlayStation 5 release (calm down everyone) because I'm already going to have the ability to play it on Game Pass anyway, why the fuck do I care who else "gets" to enjoy it?
I agree. It might be a risky business move because I'm sure a lot of Xbox fans would be angry, but it really wouldn't bother me. On the other hand, if they ever put Game Pass on PlayStation (download version, not xCloud), I would feel like I wasted $500 on my Series X.

Last edited:
LOL posting this on here is like a death sentence OP you need to pick where to post this lol here on Gaf ain't it trust me i been there.

Last edited:
Is You Okay Youtube GIF

Death sentence? I don't get it. Is this really such an incendiary topic? Where would be a better place to pose this question?
It not a incendiary topic to me since i game on all system and see the value in all system but on here you know how it leans and there are mobs of people that don't take kindly to things like this lol

Mattyp

Gold Member
So both options completely poor ones for anyone who’s in the Xbox ecosystem?

What’s the point of this thread exactly? Besides wasting Gafs server space.

IDappa

Why aren't the options game pass stays off playstation or gamepass goes to playstation.

What the fuck is this topic?.

Pull n Pray

Banned
It not a incendiary topic to me since i game on all system and see the value in all system but on here you know how it leans and there are mobs of people that don't take kindly to things like this lol
I imagine it leans PlayStation because that's the more popular console. You think my openness to giving them Xbox 1st party games will offend them? It seems like I'm mostly pissing off Xbox fans!

GHG

Most people voting so far are effectively voting for Microsoft to go third party. Shocking stuff.

People need to realise that there is a greater amount of effort and emphasis placed on exclusive games because of the fact that they don't only need to sell games, the games are designed to move hardware as well. There is a level of responsibility for first party titles that state they need to set the standards for their platform, they should want to showcase the hardware in ways that 3rd party studios are unable to.

Imagine this E3 without Xbox's and Nintendo's conferences - that's the type of shit we would be left with.

Last edited:
I imagine it leans PlayStation because that's the more popular console. You think my openness to giving them Xbox 1st party games will offend them? It seems like I'm mostly pissing off Xbox fans!
You know OP if this was in the 14th century they would have called you a witch and burn you at the stake for this lol

Pull n Pray

Banned
Since first party and exclusivity aren’t a requirement for day one game pass, I’m not really sure what the question is. Nothing needs to change.
I wasn't suggesting anything needs to change. It's a hypothetical question to gauge whether Xbox fans value Game Pass or exclusivity more.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Release PlayStation exclusive on both pc and Xbox, and I will agree with you.

If not, then your post is worthless, since only 1 platform is beneficial, and the other is useless box.

Spidey Fan

Banned
So I'm uniting them!
If you want to do that, then do it on pc, not Playstation.

It seems that you have ulterior motivation with that opinion. Since you value one box over the other one.

Pc is the neutral. Let both boxes do their exclusive on the pc ground, so everyone can enjoy it.

iHaunter

Most of the games on GamePass I do not want to play. I sub once every 4-6 months to play 2-3 games and that's it. I prefer good exclusives instead of D - C Tier AAA games.

I also prefer to own my games. GamePass is temporary and a rental system. You do not own any of the games there. I wouldn't mind a hybrid, but I'm still buying the games I really want.

Last edited:
A loaded question includes a contentious assertion. What is my question asserting that you find contentious?
It's contentious and loaded because you're limiting obvious choices and forcing a decision between two bad personal takes which go against the grain of normal views.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Most of the games on GamePass I do not want to play. I sub once every 4-6 months to play 2-3 games and that's it. I prefer good exclusives instead of D - C Tier AAA games.

I also prefer to own my games. GamePass is temporary and a rental system. You do not own any of the games there. I wouldn't mind a hybrid, but I'm still buying the games I really want.
Buying is worth it, if you plan to play it. Haven't got a value for my far cry games that I bought on xbox. Since I don't have time to play them same for rd2.

Pull n Pray

Banned
It's contentious and loaded because you're limiting obvious choices and forcing a decision between two bad personal takes which go against the grain of normal views.
Did you read my post or just the poll? I acknowledge that people will find both choices less than ideal. It is a hypothetical question to gauge whether Xbox fans value Game Pass or exclusivity more.

iHaunter

Buying is worth it, if you plan to play it. Haven't got a value for my far cry games that I bought on xbox. Since I don't have time to play them same for rd2.
Yeah that's what I mean. I get GamePass every few months to play some "Meh not worth buying games." The ones I really want I buy.

DaGwaphics

This doesn't seem like realistic choices. If GamePass is dead, there's a good chance that Xbox is dead, no need for the question. When you look at the great E3 MS just had, it was every bit as much about advertising GP as it was Xbox, they seem like they are 150% all in.

Pull n Pray

Banned
This doesn't seem like realistic choices. If GamePass is dead, there's a good chance that Xbox is dead, no need for the question. When you look at the great E3 MS just had, it was every bit as much about advertising GP as it was Xbox, they seem like they are 150% all in.
It's not meant to be realistic. It's hypothetical.

This is not an anti-exclusive post. I understand that exclusives are a part of the console business. And obviously I'm sure most of you want exclusivity AND Game Pass. This poll is just to gauge what you value more. For me, it's Game Pass by a long shot.

As a consumer, exclusives give you an incentive to buy a console. But once you've made that purchase, exclusives provide no benefit other than the psychological benefits of affirming you made the right choice and giving you ammunition in online fanboy debates. Putting games into Game Pass, on the other hand, provides a tangible financial benefit. It was a different feeling watching Xbox's E3 knowing that I could play almost every game showcased for free* at launch. E3 has long been referred to as Christmas for gamers, but it never quite fit. It was like Christmas except you had to buy your own presents. But this year it really did feel like Christmas, and every Game Pass game showcased was like unwrapping a present. And honestly, I am way more excited about Hades and Back 4 Blood launching into Game Pass than I would be if they were exclusive but not launching into Game Pass. What about you?

*By free, I mean at no additional cost. As in, "buy one, get one free".
You came out of of gate swinging then your post went to shit right about here 😂😂😂

The funny thing is the boldest is exactly why PlayStation is currently dominating the landscape. So I guess gamers do in fact value high quality AAA exclusives and are prepared to pay for such experiences as per sales volumes of all PS 1st party games.

Last edited:
Yea, honestly exclusives are far and few between and all of them dont speak to me. they tend to be higher quality but so rare that as someone who games 4=6 hours a day I don't spend my time pouring over the next exclusives I can't wait for. lat exclusive I loved was tlou2 done in about 30 hours and before that was GOW done in even less. In the mean time gamepass provided far more content than rougly 50 hours of gameplay , especially with the witcher which i put over 200 hours in. back for blood is another game ill probably play for dozens if not hundreds of hours. doesnt include hades, fallouts on gamepass now and more. its a service that sells itself since its so good fans advertise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom