• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Game Of Thrones' Prequel Begins Filming In Belfast

The Game of Thrones Prequel will chronicle the epic fantasy world's history from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. It will reveal the horrifying secrets of Westeros' story, the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the east, and the Starks of legend. "

latest

hqdefault.jpg

latest

latest

The budget is reportedly identical as the original show but with different writers. What are your expectations?

naomi_watts_oscars_2014.jpg

Naomi Watts (LEAD)

Naomi+Ackie+British+Independent+Film+Awards+WQXqaamogzYl.jpg

Naomi Ackie

Denise-Gough.jpg

Denise Gough

latest

Jamie Campbell Bower

latest

Sheila Atim

BPQYCAwV_8nT08eYpp_cDxp8PtN1iXdj86g2dgl8s0COOBF7RFXfKpv2lXInxlN9Z1VUITuKeDAYas9DTaQLaaoB13r6myx4-dypFUTjBcPHQMUZD76ar1r_Yeewu83pETthd69-waE9IvyPrWg=p

Ivanno Jeremiah

latest

Georgie Henley

latest

Alex Sharp

WtTEf6-zM-piE623q-z2ff2uCazAlyOz-uz3NtCdH990ZI7_-gyNra0Z6eCtV7i0t_qeQ3kPh5C1HnmKz5EqqAldizheoFN11e6Fu48fu-qwDttUbRuSA9jEpIDmLSbh6qoWT9MYdCphdstAEDY=p

Toby Regbo

Last edited:

llien

So, Naomi Watts and unknown people.

Given how bad things went when script writers ran out of R.R.M. material, i'm skeptical, but will give it a try.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Some sour grapes in here wow. I think it sounds like a great concept for a show. Should be fun.

Going to need to be special to beat foundation and LOTR though...

Some sour grapes in here wow. I think it sounds like a great concept for a show. Should be fun.

Going to need to be special to beat foundation and LOTR though...
Yup I'm curious about it and I agree it's a very interesting idea to explore

I'm very eager to see the ancestors of the Starks and how things lead to the development of the seven kingdoms

I just really wanna see plenty of adults over 40 and 50 involved in this though

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yup I'm curious about it and I agree it's a very interesting idea to explore

I'm very eager to see the ancestors of the Starks and how things lead to the development of the seven kingdoms

I just really wanna see plenty of adults over 40 and 50 involved in this though
That is a good point, there really should be some. I'm almost done book 3 so I'm starting to get more of the back story on Westeros and it's definitely interesting to me. I suspect the tv show didn't get it totally right. The why and the what happened next will be great to see

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It's amazing to see how quickly the fanbase turned on Game of Thrones. lmfao.

Babies, it was trash from S5 onward, if you were slow on the uptake it's your own fault for not understanding narrative quality and not seeing how utterly garbage the Sand Snakes vs Jaime Lannister fight was.

ANYWAY, I'm down to watch this new show for free as I did with GoT before I dropped it. The cast is looking a bit more diverse, if they are bringing more of a role to Dorne than the show could even attempt at then that's cool. I hope it's something more than just being a mediocre tie in to the show, try to be slightly ambitious with this please.

Last edited:
It's amazing to see how quickly the fanbase turned on Game of Thrones. lmfao.

Babies, it was trash from S5 onward, if you were slow on the uptake it's your own fault for not understanding narrative quality and not seeing how utterly garbage the Sand Snakes vs Jaime Lannister fight was.

ANYWAY, I'm down to watch this new show for free as I did with GoT before I dropped it. The cast is looking a bit more diverse, if they are bringing more of a role to Dorne than the show could even attempt at then that's cool. I hope it's something more than just being a mediocre tie in to the show, try to be slightly ambitious with this please.
It's kind of a shitty situation for the fans.

I started GoT Like 2 or 3 weeks ago. I marathon'd the whole thing and just finished recently. I thought season 6, 7 and 8 were acceptable. And I felt the compression at the end where it started feeling less like a show and more like a blockbuster. They wanted to wrap that shit UP.

The show could really have done with another 3 seasons, at least. There's a huge fan base. It's a thriving success. Why fucking not?

Only explanation I could come up with were that D&D were getting sick of it.

ymoc

I started GoT Like 2 or 3 weeks ago. I marathon'd the whole thing and just finished recently. I thought season 6, 7 and 8 were acceptable. And I felt the compression at the end where it started feeling less like a show and more like a blockbuster. They wanted to wrap that shit UP.

The show could really have done with another 3 seasons, at least. There's a huge fan base. It's a thriving success. Why fucking not?

Maybe watch the documentary about making of GoT on HBO. As far as I understand the entire cast has been drained out and exhausted.
They often talk about being like zombies working tirelessly day after day after day.
I think after so many years everyone was, despite loving working on the show, glad that it finally ended.
Kit Harington was basically on mental breakdown level, he has checked in a private wellbeing clinic if I remember correctly. Etc.

So, yah, I can see all of that also being one of the reasons why D&D rushed the final season.

Maybe watch the documentary about making of GoT on HBO. As far as I understand the entire cast has been drained out and exhausted.
They often talk about being like zombies working tirelessly day after day after day.
I think after so many years everyone was, despite loving working on the show, glad that it finally ended.
Kit Harington was basically on mental breakdown level, he has checked in a private wellbeing clinic if I remember correctly. Etc.

So, yah, I can see all of that also being one of the reasons why D&D rushed the final season.
That honestly makes a lot of sense.

RedVIper

Banned
Wtf is that cast, is this going to be a teenage drama series.

At least they got the diversity shield to protect themselves.

Kadayi

Banned
I think it's fair to say that D&D dropped the ball in wrapping up GOT, because the whole condensed season's aspect just didn't gel with the pacing of the previous seasons in terms of tempo. It would have made more sense to either have made two 10 episode seasons or done an extra season. Still it is what it is.

As regards the new series. It's a completely different production company running things though naturally working with the Belfast people, which is good given the many people involved and the deep knowledge making this sort of a show.

I'm personally prepared to give it a shot. I think HBO is well aware of the divisive nature of the wrap up to GOT and that they will be especially keen on avoiding that,. Given how far in the past the series is set versus GOT I wouldn't expect much in the way of readily identifiable locations though. A lot can change in 5000 years 🤔

Last edited:

MoFuzz

That sounds like a fairly reasonable assessment of the situation, but if that is indeed the case, I can't help but wonder how that could be their perspective on things. I haven't seen the 'Making of" docs, so feel free to "Dracarys" me if I've got the wrong idea here, but I would have thought that as an actor, that they would be eternally grateful to be working on something successful, never mind one of the most popular shows of all time.

I don't know if it's public information or not, but if I was a betting man, I'd wager that Kit being admitted into therapy is more so tied to life in the public eye, with the endless scrutiny and loss of privacy that it comes with, as opposed to the days and months of the year devoted to filming and working on the actual show.

I mean these people get paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars to put on costumes and pretend to be someone else for fun. If that's considered tough labour, I'll gladly exchange my job with theirs. Y'all will have to excuse me for not crying too hard. Must be a real tough life with all of those red carpet galas, dolla dolla bills and their beach houses....

giphy.gif

The 'unnamed place in County Down' is about 5 minutes from my house, I believe. Just outside Banbridge. That is where they filmed a lot of the original show.

Well in the books people are pretty young. Life expectancy in Westeros is probably 30.
fuckkkk that shit sideways

I was watching season 1 again and I realized that what really makes the show great are the adult interactions. And I mean adult adult. Not 25. I'm talking past 40 at the minimum.

When Ned and Robert are talking about the Targaryen girl it just pulls me in. These are two seasoned grown ups talking. It feels so much more serious. There's just something about it that feels more genuine.

Yup. I don't think I'd be watching if it weren't for the adults. The greatest scenes involve them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As far as I understand the entire cast has been drained out and exhausted.
Was that because they've been doing it for so many years?

Or

Is it because the production unnecessarily ramped up the speed and scale of the show way too fast the last two seasons? They could have scaled back the spectacle and improved the writing, and it would have had a lot less harsh a toll on the actors.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think the 'Age of Heroes' is a cool setting fot the series and Martin is supposedly much more involved.

The fact that Benioff and Weiss are not involved at all is also very promising. Hopefully they get Miguel Sapochnik to direct some episodes.

Yeah, I'm def interested and am not going to let the stink of the season 8 put me off since I place that blame solely on Benioff and Weiss.

Hey, this actually sounds interesting.

As a Game of Thrones noob do you think this would be newcomer friendly?

WtTEf6-zM-piE623q-z2ff2uCazAlyOz-uz3NtCdH990ZI7_-gyNra0Z6eCtV7i0t_qeQ3kPh5C1HnmKz5EqqAldizheoFN11e6Fu48fu-qwDttUbRuSA9jEpIDmLSbh6qoWT9MYdCphdstAEDY=p

Toby Regbo

Look at this photograph... and examine what makes me laugh.

Seems like there's an unwritten rule that unless it's a sitcom a TV show never lasts a decade.

Hey, this actually sounds interesting.

As a Game of Thrones noob do you think this would be newcomer friendly?
Yes I think so. It will have to stand on its own. I'm sure there'll be plenty of connections and nods to the original show but the only way to know would be to have come in a fan of the original show. It would be up to the viewer to discover more it they please.

Falcs

Banned
So don't give a shit anymore.
I was expecting Game of Thrones to finish leaving me wanting more, but instead I just want to put it behind me and move on with my life.
I'll pass thanks.

Top Bottom