• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of the Year | Feedback thread

cormack12

Gold Member
As you know we changed things up this year and ran a first of type goty vote and embedded it into the sites backend: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/neogaf-goty-2022-ot-voting-thread.1648151/

We're just looking for the feedback on that now. Myself, Palliasso Palliasso and Topher Topher will keep tabs and I'll update this thread with a short, medium and long term plan on any features, enhancements, ideas etc. that have merit and are doable between our day jobs as models - gor socks and anklets.

Game list: Just acknowledging this. We did want to tie direct into API which we did. But the lack of grouping ids made it difficult (e.g. four versions of Valhalla for example). The only way to consolidate the data would be manual which was too big an overhead. We would also be dependent on the 3rd party data. If it was missing data then we couldn't just 'add' it like a local json. We're still mulling this one over.

AndrewRyan

Much improved over previous years! Would like to see cover-art for the games while voting. The slow rollout of the results were kind of a miss for me.

Bragr

Banned
Remove 80% of the categories and only allow games that actually came out in the year, not DLCs and games ported to new systems.

Curate the categories, most people just vote for their favorite game in each category and the results become a gag (elden ring best voice acting).

Saber

Gold Member
I like the overall covers, although some were inconsistent for no reason(ER).
I felt like there were a good amount of useless and unnecessary categories. Most of them I didn't voted at all.

Last edited:
Thx for the hard work on the Gaf GotY upgrades.

- I think everyone should have the option to vote for 2 runners up in every category and be required to list 2 runners up for the "game of the year" category. More good games get exposure and it's harder for them to get completely left off the results just because other games that may possibly be better and possibly not are more well known/mainstream.

- I'd like a best strategy game category added. It's a decent amount of people's favourite genre

- Imo there should be 2 visuals categories, "best visual style" and "best graphics technical"

- most of the posts above are generally saying to have less categories, less games and strip it as bare as possible but I would push back on that. You want people to be engaged, if there's so little required of them that they're not really doing virtually anything, it's like they're not participating even when they are.

As for things like enhanced ports and dlc, the rule arrived at long ago to accept gaming content that was released that year was decided on for a reason and is a good rule. You move away from that objective but broad umbrella and you're limiting people's participation and dealing with people's opinions instead of fact, the same way every man and his dog have ideas about which genres of games are all "jrpgs." Think about something like Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal. A bunch of people would say it's an old game and you can't include it, others would say it's a totally transformative upgrade so it's new and they wouldn't give game of the year to P5 but they would to P5R, others would wanna know what people are saying about it but people are too busy arguing about whether they're allowed to talk about it or not. Or Metroid Prime Remastered. If someone plays a new version of that awesome game from the gamecube era for the first time and finds it's better than every other game release this year, they should be able to say so. you don't want to be arguing about if a game is a remaster or is it a remake because they redid this part blah blah blah back and forth. If you keep it as simple and clean as "was it released on a platform this year yes or no?" you can sidestep all that arguing and nonsense.

- merge the goty thread with an account suicide thread. Those get a lot of enthusiastic participation

Last edited:
Top Bottom