• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game music at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics

ManaByte

This is the best music ever at an Opening Ceremony.

FINAL FANTASY MAIN THEME!

Bill Murray Fainting GIF by filmeditor

Last edited:

YukiOnna

What's the problem? That was a lot better than other openings where the singers and crap are literal who's to me.

Reactions: Isa

Banned
I loved it. I just dialed in when Song of the Ancients started playing and could not believe my ears, I literally texted everyone I know and plays games if they watched it too and got a few to watch it just for the craziness of video game music playing during Olympia... then not long after the Final Fantasy win music came on :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TLZ

Thabass

It's about fucking time video game music got it's just props. I'll take this over mainstream music any day.

Last edited:
I loved it. I just dialed in when Song of the Ancients started playing and could not believe my ears, I literally texted everyone I know and plays games if they watched it too and got a few to watch it just for the craziness of video game music playing during Olympia... then not long after the Final Fantasy win music came on :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Do you remember when it was? I record the whole thing

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Random Q:

Lol, why this guy as your Av from MI?

So that people can ask me about Loom :)

But seriously I thought it would be funny since people are (or used to be) paranoid about shills on gaf to have a bonafide shill as my avatar!

I originally wanted to use Stan, but then I realised who the real salesman is in monkey island!

Last edited:

Fahdis

So that people can ask me about Loom :)

But seriously I thought it would be funny since people are (or used to be) paranoid about shills on gaf to have a bonafide shill as my avatar!

I originally wanted to use Stan, but then I realised who the real salesman is in momkey island!

I love it.

So you're guessing the people watching thought "wow that's some nice orchestral music", and that makes it cringe? Could have been any number of copy/paste pop trash "artists" like the Super Bowl which is ACTUAL cringe:
Youre both nonsensical.

Its music that very popular where they are playing it. Weeknd for example isnt pop, and he is a gifted vocalist. And the fact its music you hear in a game doesnt change the fact its actually technically sound music.

But yes opinions.

KàIRóS

I changed the first OG post, updated the video, and changed some of the text I had, because some posters are thinking that I absolutely hated the opening ceremony when I didn't, I still think it was kinda cringe watching it LIVE though.

AJUMP23

I thought that is was cool and appropriate to see such amazing music used in a context that gives video games some positive press.

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom