• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's Best Of E3 2014 Awards

Zabuza

Banned
I think Evolve is great because of the exclusive and pre-order setup for the DLC.
This shit right here means I'm not buying it.

Honestly Evolve kind of looks like garbage. Who the fuck wants to play as the bullshit monster when the hunters are overpowered.

This is a garbage list really.

Jock_Nerd

Banned
Nintendo not getting the top spots is fine. But then you combine that with singling out Mario Maker as the best Nintendo title? Don't get me wrong it's an interesting game but it's like they chose that as a joke, or to put down the rest of Nintendo's lineup.

It's sad, but I do believe there are journalists out there that would do this.

It is as much an MMO as something like Journey or Dark Souls. You aren't joining servers populated by hundreds of people, you play in your own world wherein the game occasionally matchmakes one or a few dudes into your game. The Tower is the only area that acts like it a traditional MMO environment, and it is an extremely small non-combat space. PvP is limited to, at most, 6v6, Raids can only go up to six people, and the most people they've ever shown in a single zone at any given time was nine. There is nothing massive about Destiny's multiplayer whatsoever, which I understand to be a criteria for an MMO.
The part MO, multiplayer online is filled already by its nature, both of them are mandatory (unlike in Journey or Dark Souls). The first part, massive, isn't as it is in traditional MMOs, but it is there still. Going out of the tower could just be considered as sort of raiding (of traditional MMOs).

I don't think I explained myself properly. I basically mean that the only reason people are going crazy for this game is due to the Wii U's current situation. I think if it had been revealed on any other console it wouldn't have nearly the amount of fanfare but when were talking about a system that is releasing its heavy hitters with lots of road in between it suddenly becomes an amazing looking game.
Or you know, the game just genuinely looks amazing? It's a shooter that really tries to do a lot of new things. It's a lot like Titanfall in that sense, except I'd say it tries to break the genre's confines even more. The game's not simple either as there are already videos of some more advanced tactics used in the game.

As for you saying the only reason people are going crazy for Splatoon is because of Wii U's current situation, I think it'd be very similar thing to say the only reason why you say that is that you are always against every single thing Nintendo does. But really, let's not be so condescending on other people.

RoKKeR

God damn, Evolve cleaning up. Forza Horizon 2 as well.

Overall I think it's a pretty solid list. Looking forward to a lot of these!

RoKKeR

This shit right here means I'm not buying it.

Honestly Evolve kind of looks like garbage. Who the fuck wants to play as the bullshit monster when the hunters are overpowered.

This is a garbage list really.

Stop with the overreactions, it's embarrassing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116765048&postcount=90
2/10 to 4/10. Probs still buy it though.

destiny-exclusive-content-are-timed.jpg

Pineconn

I don't think I explained myself properly. I basically mean that the only reason people are going crazy for this game is due to the Wii U's current situation. I think if it had been revealed on any other console it wouldn't have nearly the amount of fanfare but when were talking about a system that is releasing its heavy hitters with lots of road in between it suddenly becomes an amazing looking game.

Wtf? It looks like a very fun game. Period. People who detest Nintendo might not make the attempt to see this, however. Color + no gore = 4 teh kiddies, obviously.

Wtf? It looks like a very fun game. Period. People who detest Nintendo might not make the attempt to see this, however. Color + no gore = 4 teh kiddies, obviously.

I'm not contesting it doesn't look fun or enjoyable just the "ZOMG its getting robbed no best of E3 mentions!"

The part MO, multiplayer online is filled already by its nature, both of them are mandatory (unlike in Journey or Dark Souls). The first part, massive, isn't as it is in traditional MMOs, but it is there still. Going out of the tower could just be considered as sort of raiding (of traditional MMOs).

Or you know, the game just genuinely looks amazing? It's a shooter that really tries to do a lot of new things. It's a lot like Titanfall in that sense, except I'd say it tries to break the genre's confines even more. The game's not simple either as there are already videos of some more advanced tactics used in the game.

Obviously my opinion could change after I have played it. When I first saw the reveal I thought the art style was adorable and genuinely was really excited about it. You can probably find my initial reaction to it which was very positive. After watching a lot of the gameplay though it has dropped to more of the "interesting" phase for me.

As for you saying the only reason people are going crazy for Splatoon is because Wii U's current situation, I think it'd be very similar thing to say the only reason why you say that is that you are always against every single thing Nintendo does. But really, let's not be so condescending on other people.

You have the impression that I am generally down on anything about Nintendo?

I feel like I've seen this sentiment from Sony fans or anybody who isn't interested particularly in Nintendo games as to why anybody could possibly be interested in the game. But seriously maybe it just looks like an awesome game to many people. There's a ton of fanart of it already.

If you think it's just Nintendo fans rallying around any scrap thrown their way, why are we not seeing a huge rally around Mario Maker, or Yoshi Yarn or whatever?

I feel like I've seen this sentiment from Sony fans or anybody who isn't interested particularly in Nintendo games as to why anybody could possibly be interested in the game. But seriously maybe it just looks like an awesome game to many people. There's a ton of fanart of it already.

If you think it's just Nintendo fans rallying around any scrap thrown their way, why are we not seeing a huge rally around Mario Maker, or Yoshi Yarn or whatever?

Again I'm not saying its a case of it not being a good or a fun game. I am also not implying that I don't understand why people would be interested or excited about it. I am saying I think it is being overhyped a bit. Could I be wrong once I play it? Of course but thats just what it seems like.

Pretty solid list.

Evolve is definitely GOTY if you went to E3. Even if you didn't like it, seeing 200 people hang around the Evolve booth watching all of the matches all the time is pretty cool.

I don't see how that warrants Game of the Year. I (and millions of others) had tons of fun with Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer but I wouldn't put it above Uncharted 2 or Demon's Souls

God damn, Evolve cleaning up. Forza Horizon 2 as well.

Overall I think it's a pretty solid list. Looking forward to a lot of these!

I'm legit shook Horizon 2 won, thought for sure DC would come out on top based on the plays and handles like PGR comments from a few outlets.

I wonder if Horizon 2 is even closer to PGR than DC?

spookyfish

It did almost a million in a month and was the top selling game for two. That's great for a new IP on the worse selling system of the two. It was a natural progression of FPSs and who knows how far its influence reached, it's only been a couple of months since launch, but one of the big things this gen seems to be mobility and Titanfall was the first one this gen. So, it was people's best of E3 or best shooter or something, so what? These are same guys that made CoD4, a series that basically inspired aspects in most of the FPSs last gen. People brought up this manufactured hype shit because it's known to be a moneyhatted exclusive game. If it was multiplatform and got the same hype, people wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

The hype was absolutely manufactured.

OK, thinking about it, I don't think that's really accurate. I think it WAS legitimately enjoyed by the "journalists" and such, based on both their gameplay impressions and on West's and Zempalla's (SP?) reputations. But it didn't resonate with the buying public to the same degree. Multiplayer only may have been the reason.

It didn't move systems, and it sold moderately well on a system that has had very little on it so far. I mean, come on: the bundle was advertised by all the big retailers at $50 off MSRP during its release month.

And I can still find the Titanfall bundle--usually for less than MSRP--and MS responded to its "banner month of Titanfall" by effectively removing its sole differentiator and lowering the console's price. Not exactly the response of a healthy sales boost, is it?

Fact is, we don't KNOW how much it sold, because neither EA nor MS have done a victory lap. That's pretty telling. Wait until next month with Mario Kart. You can bet Nintendo will be trumpeting that shit from the rooftops, no matter how inconsequential it will be in the long run.

And to preempt the response, yes, I would feel the same way were it PS-family exclusive.

I didn't know so many people were on the Evolve hate train

Seems like a couple of months ago it had no hype and was forgotten in the wake of Titanfall, now it's getting some praise and people hate it and are calling it overhyped. Boo

I agree that Mario Maker doesn't seem right for "best Nintendo game". It's just a fun customizing thing, whereas Splatoon is really doing some interesting stuff with a typically stagnant genre

I just watched the IGN E3 demo of it to get a better sense of it and I'm still not understanding what is different than Left 4 Dead.

Seems like the director vs player mode in a different setting. Maybe you could elaborate why the game is getting so much publicity from the press?

L4D was somewhat, idk, arcade-y in a fashion. You have 4 stock characters dropped in a map full of 'infected', some of them special. These special infected are controlled by players in versus mode, and it's them that hold up the strategic gameplay in L4D. The human characters generally just push through and take care with their equipment during horde rushes, while special infected have to focus on placing, timing, and other factors. Characters either finish the level or die.

Evolve sort of turns things on the head by making everything strategic. You have diverse character classes with their own varied sub-types, as well as the 3 (4 including DLC) monsters who so far are very different from each other. Movement is far more varied, and the matches are more open in nature while still focusing the combat more than in L4D. The monster's goal is to feed and grow, putting limited points to certain skills. It has to carefully take apart the Hunters, and is generally going to be the only source of conflict rather than having the cover of other adversaries as in L4D. Monster will also be given an alternative objective to complete to win the match.

The Hunters of course have to hunt the monster down, as early as possible to avoid a tougher and more deadly creature. Everyone has jobs and communication is paramount, in order to take advantage of each of their abilities. Outside of the monster, they have to take care with dangerous fauna around the map. Hunters can respawn given certain time, other than the monster who gets only one life.

So differences are:

• Asymetrical, strategic gameplay across both factions.
  • Varied gameplay templates across each faction
  • Open match design, rather than restricting spawns and movement to where opposing faction is.
  • Varied objectives to allow for alternative match progression.
  • Varied gameplay across classes, subtypes, monsters, and monster point allocation keep matches from being repetitive affairs within each map and game mode.

There's probably more, but I didn't see much of the E3 gameplay.

I'm not contesting it doesn't look fun or enjoyable just the "ZOMG its getting robbed no best of E3 mentions!"

Obviously my opinion could change after I have played it. When I first saw the reveal I thought the art style was adorable and genuinely was really excited about it. You can probably find my initial reaction to it which was very positive. After watching a lot of the gameplay though it has dropped to more of the "interesting" phase for me.

You have the impression that I am generally down on anything about Nintendo?
To be honest, yes it would seem that you are generally down on almost anything about Nintendo. Often it is very understandable but sometimes it does seem to go a bit extreme. But this is just my impression, I'm not saying I'm objectively right.

But anyway, the point was, that it's not right to assume such things are the only (that's the word you used) reason for why people act like they do.

Even if when you got to play it and didn't find it near as much as people are making it out to be, it's always important to remember that people have different opinions. Other people could be genuinely very satisfied with it simply on the game's own merits.

Rembrandt

Banned

OK, thinking about it, I don't think that's really accurate. I think it WAS legitimately enjoyed by the "journalists" and such, based on both their gameplay impressions and on West's and Zempalla's (SP?) reputations. But it didn't resonate with the buying public to the same degree. Multiplayer only may have been the reason.

It didn't move systems, and it sold moderately well on a system that has had very little on it so far. I mean, come on: the bundle was advertised by all the big retailers at $50 off MSRP during its release month.

And I can still find the Titanfall bundle--usually for less than MSRP--and MS responded to its "banner month of Titanfall" by effectively removing its sole differentiator and lowering the console's price. Not exactly the response of a healthy sales boost, is it?

Fact is, we don't KNOW how much it sold, because neither EA nor MS have done a victory lap. That's pretty telling. Wait until next month with Mario Kart. You can bet Nintendo will be trumpeting that shit from the rooftops, no matter how inconsequential it will be in the long run.

And to preempt the response, yes, I would feel the same way were it PS-family exclusive.

It didn't resonate with the public but it's still in the top 10 best selling games each month? It's the best selling Xbox One title and people obviously enjoy the title. It obviously resonated with the public. So, just because it wasn't a huge system seller, then it was a huge failure? It boosted sales; it may have not did as good as Microsoft hoped, but it wasn't a failure in any sense of the word.

We do know it sold almost 1 million copies in the first month, that's fact. What does MK8 have to do with Titanfall? MK8 is the 9-11th game in a series. It's an established series. It did a million in four days. Who in the fuck expected Titanfall to have a bigger launch than MK8?

It wasn't manufactured hype. It was people seeing magazines say an exclusive game is great on a system they don't like and summed it up as, "well, this game better make the Xbone top the NPD when it launches" instead of, "Oh, this game might be really fun and I hope other FPSs see something in there to be inspired by."

AniHawk

no, this point was summarized pretty well in your initial post. i could also make similar generalizations about games i don't care about, like the uncharted series or killzone 2.

311.gif

Vire

L4D was somewhat, idk, arcade-y in a fashion. You have 4 stock characters dropped in a map full of 'infected', some of them special. These special infected are controlled by players in versus mode, and it's them that hold up the strategic gameplay in L4D. The human characters generally just push through and take care with their equipment during horde rushes, while special infected have to focus on placing, timing, and other factors. Characters either finish the level or die.

Evolve sort of turns things on the head by making everything strategic. You have diverse character classes with their own varied sub-types, as well as the 3 (4 including DLC) monsters who so far are very different from each other. Movement is far more varied, and the matches are more open in nature while still focusing the combat more than in L4D. The monster's goal is to feed and grow, putting limited points to certain skills. It has to carefully take apart the Hunters, and is generally going to be the only source of conflict rather than having the cover of other adversaries as in L4D. Monster will also be given an alternative objective to complete to win the match.

The Hunters of course have to hunt the monster down, as early as possible to avoid a tougher and more deadly creature. Everyone has jobs and communication is paramount, in order to take advantage of each of their abilities. Outside of the monster, they have to take care with dangerous fauna around the map. Hunters can respawn given certain time, other than the monster who gets only one life.

So differences are:

• Asymetrical, strategic gameplay across both factions.
  • Varied gameplay templates across each faction
  • Open match design, rather than restricting spawns and movement to where opposing faction is.
  • Varied objectives to allow for alternative match progression.
  • Varied gameplay across classes, subtypes, monsters, and monster point allocation keep matches from being repetitive affairs within each map and game mode.

There's probably more, but I didn't see much of the E3 gameplay.

Sounds like the sort of thing that you have to sit down and play with to really feel the differences and understand why it's special.

Hope they do a beta or demo so I can try it out. Thanks for the clarification though.

Ape

Banned
Evolve was some of the most fun that I had at the show. I can't wait to get that game and play the living shit out of it on my xbox.

Evolve? Seriously? They barely showed enough of that game to even be warranted a nomination. I see Nintendo got the shaft even though they showed up better than everyone else did.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Evolve? Seriously? They barely showed enough of that game to even be warranted a nomination. I see Nintendo got the shaft even though they showed up better than everyone else did.

Ummm didnt they have stations to play the game on the floor with the new monster? Why cant people be excited for Evolve's asymetrical gameplay?

Also despite voting for a bunch of Nintendo games including Splatoon for best of e3 and not having Evolve on my list, I 'm totally enjoying the salt over this.

Crayolan

Mario Maker for best Wii U game? Uhhh...

Splatoon getting ignored again? Shocking.
After watching their Nintendo recap video (I stopped the video after a few minutes...too much
mjrlrk.gif
) I'm not surprised.
You would think these guys are super excited about games with all the almost perfect scores they're dishing out...

Wow, they clearly don't give a shit so why bother even making the video?

Rembrandt

Banned
Sounds like the sort of thing that you have to sit down and play with to really feel the differences and understand why it's special.

Hope they do a beta or demo so I can try it out. Thanks for the clarification though.

Not really. I'm still kinda curious on how you think the two are alike.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
They barely showed enough of Evolve? What?

The game has been shown so much and if Game Informer attended all the events for the game then they are at least up to 5 hours of gameplay time for that title.

To be honest, yes it would seem that you are generally down on almost anything about Nintendo. Often it is very understandable but sometimes it does seem to go a bit extreme. But this is just my impression, I'm not saying I'm objectively right.

But anyway, the point was, that it's not right to assume such things are the only (that's the word you used) reason for why people act like they do.

Even if when you got to play it and didn't find it near as much as people are making it out to be, it's always important to remember that people have different opinions. Other people could be genuinely very satisfied with it simply on the game's own merits.

Well your right that I've been very unimpressed with them as of late but that's because ever since the Zelda tech demo for Wii U I expected a completely different narrative for the Wii U then what they have delivered. I thought I would have a next gen Mario and Zelda by now but alas that hasn't happened. I think the Zelda reveal sounds incredible and is pretty much everything I was hoping for but overall I can't deny being disappointed. I apologize if it has seemed over the top. Like most things it only really bothers me because I love Nintendo deep down and I was just hoping for something different.

no, this point was summarized pretty well in your initial post. i could also make similar generalizations about games i don't care about, like the uncharted series or killzone 2.

Yeah, you could definitely make the same argument.

Draconian

Well your right that I've been very unimpressed with them as of late but that's because ever since the Zelda tech demo for Wii U I expected a completely different narrative for the Wii U then what they have delivered. I thought I would have a next gen Mario and Zelda by now but alas that hasn't happened. I think the Zelda reveal sounds incredible and is pretty much everything I was hoping for but overall I can't deny being disappointed. I apologize if it has seemed over the top. Like most things it only really bothers me because like I said I expected something different.

You expected Zelda to be out by now? Do you realize how unreasonable that is when it took the Wii 5 years to get Skyward Sword?

You expected Zelda to be out by now? Do you realize how unreasonable that is when it took the Wii 5 years to get Skyward Sword?

Well I mean unilaterally across their franchises. The Zelda tech demo made me hopeful we were done with this Wii stuff and Nintendo was going to fully embrace the HD revival of their franchises. I expected at least a glimpse of the new Metroid, a new Mario and a new Zelda. Something that proved that tech demo wasn't just a proof of concept vid but indicative of more and when we didn't get anything like that till arguably MK8 I was getting pretty cynical.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Evolve looks like a solid game, now I feel sad for not pre-ordering when it was in a deal. Oh well I will wait and see now lol

Salex_

lol...MKX winning over Guilty Gear Xrd? I guess they didn't factor in the gameplay.

Smash Bros and Persona were also better choices.

GladiatoR

Banned
Well deserved win for Mortal Kombat X. Heads and shoulders above any other fighting game on show.

Not seen much of Evolve, but it looked good from what little I saw.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Again I'm not saying its a case of it not being a good or a fun game. I am also not implying that I don't understand why people would be interested or excited about it. I am saying I think it is being overhyped a bit. Could I be wrong once I play it? Of course but thats just what it seems like.

But...the hype is coming from very positive impressions from people playing the game on the show floor.

I don't really get where you're coming from here. It's fine to not be interested in the game itself, but throwing around words like overhyped starts putting what other people think into question and is silly.

Parch

Wasn't paying much attention to shooters, but it seems even GAF wasn't overly hyped about Evolve.

And MarioMaker? That's pretty low on the radar as well.

Can't disagree with the rest of the choices though.

But...the hype is coming from very positive impressions from people playing the game on the show floor.

I don't really get where you're coming from here. It's fine to not be interested in the game itself, but throwing around words like overhyped starts putting what other people think into question and is silly.

What there are gameplay impressions? I only have seen the trailers it haven't read any impressions. I thought we were all basing it off the trailer can you link me?

AniHawk

What there are gameplay impressions? I only have seen the trailers it haven't read any impressions. I thought we were all basing it off the trailer can you link me?

the game was playable at e3. i should know since i played it.

for me it was similar in how a game of tf2 is played, in that it's not about deathmatches, but learning the map, where vital choke points are, and what areas might work as shortcuts or are commonly overlooked. i managed to infiltrate their base and fuck shit up, even as my team (which is a fairly accurate thing to say because even though we lost, i was the top scoring player out of everyone playing) fought them head on and didn't really have a feel for the game.

i really liked what i played. i'm a bit curious as to how the full game will be in comparison, but the level was pretty rad.

i also played mario maker, and it was neat, but i didn't really have any fun with it. it's something that will take more time for me to work with, and even then it'll be more about work than having fun. the best games nintendo had on the show floor were smash bros., kirby, captain toad, and splatoon. however, i didn't get a chance to play mario party 10, and conceptually it sounded pretty great.

i was actually at the show when this aired, but maybe this will offer more information on splatoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxcLLFbmJHE

Crom

I'm excited for Mario maker but best Wii U exclusive? Really gameinformer?

Yep. Someone has an agenda.

Zelda U, Xenoblade, Bayonetta, Splatoon, Smash Bros and they pick Mario Maker?

Wow

Even Kirby (cavas Curse lookalike), Yoshi, Captain Toad would have been better choices.

Hell, Hyrule Warriors and even the fuzzy Star Fox footage should have beaten out Mario Maker

Top Bottom