• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's Best Of E3 2014 Awards

Ultimadrago

I must be missing something in the GI Nintendo recap (or watching the wrong video) because what I watched was fine.

Also any list with Witcher 3 winning a category is at least okay in my books.

xaosslug

and I'm somewhat interested in Evolve... but seriously, GI? lolz

watching previews, tho. I do get the feeling it could be the 'next big thing'...

AniHawk

If Splatoon was coming to the other consoles from a indie dev it would be getting even less love. I feel like it gets brought up pretty often for what it is.

i think you could say the same about pretty much any game. if bloodborne was an indie game for steam it would be getting less love. if killzone was made by microsoft it would have master chief in it. i don't get these kinds of statements.

Pretty solid list.

Evolve is definitely GOTY if you went to E3. Even if you didn't like it, seeing 200 people hang around the Evolve booth watching all of the matches all the time is pretty cool.

i think you could say the same about pretty much any game. if bloodborne was an indie game for steam it would be getting less love. if killzone was made by microsoft it would have master chief in it. i don't get these kinds of statements.

If you adjust details, it adjusts consequences. Checkmate, people who disagree with me.

Rich!

Mario Maker? Over Xenoblade, Zelda U and Smash Bros? For essentially a Wii U version of something that's existed for almost two decades with Mario Improvement and later SMB Utility courtesy of the homebrew community? And that's not even taking these into account:

hacked_in.png

REUBEN - Limitless Super Mario Bros 3 editor.

Lunar Magic - Super Mario World editor.

I've been editing my own levels in SMB since 1999, SMB3 and SMW a few years after that. Mario Maker is an idea that Nintendo should have brought to the DS many, many years ago. From what I have seen so far, I personally do not think that it showcases any creativity on Nintendo's part and placing it higher than the sheer magnificence that Xenoblade and Zelda Wii U showcased is a fucking shame (even with the small video we saw of Zelda).

But who gives a shit anyway.

Nzyme32

Having trouble being hyped for Evolve.. And that's strange, knowing how much I love Left 4 Dead.

The exact same thing with me. Not sure what it is. Perhaps I've just gone off the more serious shooters. I seem to be fine with the more ridiculous ones.

And here we have Exhibit C (behind IGN and Gamespot's lists) as to why Nintendo no longer does live press conferences and did the Treehouse Live. They just aren't going to get the same coverage even when they have a lot of (playable) games at the show.

Kacho

Gold Member
Very boring list. It shows just how much of a dud E3 was for Sony and Microsoft. Mario Maker being selected as the best Wii U exclusive is...interesting. That's Game Informer for you though. They exist to promote certain games to GameStop customers.

Rembrandt

Banned
Jesus, this manufactured hype shit has to stop. Why wouldn't people be extremely excited for Turtle Rock's new game? Do people not know how popular L4D is and what's the game closest to Evolve? I can't think of any. People, including reporters, get hype over games from accredited developers just like us.

I remember the last multiplayer-only title that won several Best of E3 awards. It went quite well, isn't it?

Yeah, Titanfall sold really well.

Mario Maker? Over Xenoblade, Zelda U and Smash Bros? For essentially a Wii U version of something that's existed for almost two decades with Mario Improvement and later SMB Utility courtesy of the homebrew community? And that's not even taking these into account:

I believe this is similar to saying Little Big Planet shouldn't be considered because Game Maker, UDK, Unity, etc. exist. Or that Mario Paint is nothing special because Microsoft had Paint on Windows. The difference is that one is a game with the goal and focus of creating a fun experience to just mess around in, and the other is a tool whose purpose is to create something practical.

Even though I have been involved in ROM hacking for a long time now, I really did like Mario Maker a lot from what I have seen. It looks fun to mess around with, certainly more than, say, Lunar Magic. I can understand if it isn't a highly anticipated game from someone who has been involved in ROM hacking for many years and may be tired of it, but yeah. Personally, even though I wouldn't put it below Zelda or Smash, I am not mad at all about its inclusion on the list.

Dysun

Evolve has never really piqued my interest, surprising to see it was their game of the show. Guess it has to be played to really get into

Have u seen Evolve? Seriously I hope evolve does well cause it's not cross gen and it's trying something new.

With that being said I don't play MP games so I don't matter and judging by the reaction on this board, not many of u looking forward to it either. Smh

spookyfish

Jesus, this manufactured hype shit has to stop. Why wouldn't people be extremely excited for Turtle Rock's new game? Do people not know how popular L4D is and what's the game closest to Evolve? I can't think of any. People, including reporters, get hype over games from accredited developers just like us.

Yeah, Titanfall sold really well.

HA! Not "OMG!! Best of E3! The first REAL videogame EVAR!" well.

Malus

Nintendo not getting the top spots is fine. But then you combine that with singling out Mario Maker as the best Nintendo title? Don't get me wrong it's an interesting game but it's like they chose that as a joke, or to put down the rest of Nintendo's lineup.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe its my opinion, but Titanfall actually looked really cool and the view was shared by many, not only the press hyped it up. Maybe it was because it was exclusive. But anyway I haven't seen anyone really hyping up Evolve on forum level, especially Neogaf, so I'm baffled by this hype.

Well, it did have a four hour line at PAX East and my friend who was at E3 for the showfloor days said it easily had one of if not the larger line there as well, so it seems someone is hyped for it at least.

I think it's more that multiplayer games just aren't nearly as big of a hit on this forum, especially when they're not a major exclusive to help gravitate in the platform's inherent fanbase.

Like Splatoon was really well received in the GAF E3 voting but its thread is somewhat anemic for a lengthy E3 new IP reveal from Nintendo at 2300 posts.

Rembrandt

Banned
HA! Not "OMG!! Best of E3! The first REAL videogame EVAR!" well.

It did almost a million in a month and was the top selling game for two. That's great for a new IP on the worse selling system of the two. It was a natural progression of FPSs and who knows how far its influence reached, it's only been a couple of months since launch, but one of the big things this gen seems to be mobility and Titanfall was the first one this gen. So, it was people's best of E3 or best shooter or something, so what? These are same guys that made CoD4, a series that basically inspired aspects in most of the FPSs last gen. People brought up this manufactured hype shit because it's known to be a moneyhatted exclusive game. If it was multiplatform and got the same hype, people wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

Destiny is not an MMO. The fact that a major gaming publication has yet to comprehend this is beyond the pale.
It is an MMO. Just because the devs don't want to classify it as one (that's partly because of marketing by the way), doesn't mean it isn't. It might not be exactly like the traditional MMO like WoW, but it certainly has enough of the MMO characteristics making it an MMO.

Vire

Have you seen anything about Evolve?

I just watched the IGN E3 demo of it to get a better sense of it and I'm still not understanding what is different than Left 4 Dead.

Seems like the director vs player mode in a different setting. Maybe you could elaborate why the game is getting so much publicity from the press?

VariantX

Destiny is not an MMO. The fact that a major gaming publication has yet to comprehend this is beyond the pale.

Yep. Destiny seems alot closer to something like PSO2 or PoE. Theres no actual "world" just a bunch of instances. It's just a loot game really.

I don't think I explained myself properly. I basically mean that the only reason people are going crazy for this game is due to the Wii U's current situation. I think if it had been revealed on any other console it wouldn't have nearly the amount of fanfare but when were talking about a system that is releasing its heavy hitters with lots of road in between it suddenly becomes an amazing looking game.

TheXbox

It is an MMO. Just because the devs don't want to classify it as one (that's partly because of marketing by the way), doesn't mean it isn't. It might not be exactly like the traditional MMO like WoW, but it certainly has enough of the MMO characteristics making it an MMO.
It is as much an MMO as something like Journey or Dark Souls. You aren't joining servers populated by hundreds of people, you play in your own world wherein the game occasionally matchmakes one or a few dudes into your game. The Tower is the only area that acts like it a traditional MMO environment, and it is an extremely small non-combat space. PvP is limited to, at most, 6v6, Raids can only go up to six people, and the most people they've ever shown in a single zone at any given time was nine. There is nothing massive about Destiny's multiplayer whatsoever, which I understand to be a criteria for an MMO.

Rembrandt

Banned
I just watched the IGN E3 demo of it to get a better sense of it and I'm still not understanding what is different than Left 4 Dead.

Seems like the director vs player mode in a different setting. Maybe you could elaborate why the game is getting so much publicity from the press?

Have you played Left 4 Dead, serious question? I don't understand how it's similar, is it because there are four characters? It's not 8 players like L4D, it's class based, it's literally the only game on consoles like it, it requires cooperative play to win, the monster can eat animals to grow stronger and evolve, graphics look great and have you played L4D? Obviously, I haven't played it so I can't give you a hands on report, but everything I've seen about it looks amazing.

Top Bottom