• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's Best Of E3 2014 Awards

ecosse_011172

Splatoon getting ignored again? Shocking.

After watching their Nintendo recap video (I stopped the video after a few minutes...too much
mjrlrk.gif
) I'm not surprised.
You would think these guys are super excited about games with all the almost perfect scores they're dishing out...

Who is the arse with the beard?
Can someone tell him that he's not even a fraction as hip as he desperately thinks he is.
His expression of disdain for everything was cringeworthy.

Are there any Americans in the gaming media who don't do the "valley girl, raise your voice at the end of the sentence" thing?

blakep267

I haven't seen much of evolve but every site and podcast that I've listened to/seen says they've had a ton of fun with it

And what's with the titanfall hate in here. It was a great same that sold well and could've used more content.

After watching their Nintendo recap video (I stopped the video after a few minutes...too much http://a.pomf.se/mjrlrk.gif[/MG]) I'm not surprised.
[/QUOTE]

The funny thing I keep seeing in these E3 recap videos is 'gaem jurnalizts' missing the joke spectacularly in the opening Robot Chicken segment. Nintendo wasn't ripping into its fans. It was taking the piss out of game journalists.

You'd think people would be able to tell when they're getting the piss taken out of them. I mean, they were wearing press badges and everything...

Anyways... on topic: games were chosen that I would not have chosen, but it's all opinions and PR, so bleh, no need to get riled about it.

kadotsu

Banned
I think Evolve is very emblematic to where the western industry is going. It seems like every big Publisher has there take(s) on the arena shooter. They seem to know demand better than me because my feeling was that last year singleplayer games were the only "core" hits (that could be 100% confirmation bias though).

Shinta

Banned
The funny thing I keep seeing in these E3 recap videos is 'gaem jurnalizts' missing the jkoe spectacularly in the opening Robot Chicken segment. Nintendo wasn't ripping into its fans. It was taking the piss out of game journalists.

You'd think people would be able to tell when they're getting the piss taken out of them. I mean, they were wearing press badges and everything...
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed this lol.

halfbeast

Banned
It is, Grim Fandango is amazing - one of the greatest games in its genre. And now it's going to be even amazinger with a HD remaster.

oooh, you're right! Silent Hill 2 is an AMAZING game and a HD version would make it even... oh, wait.

also: PRE-ORDER EVOLVE NOW! COMING THIS OCTOBER!

Xater

I personally think Evolved looks amazing, and this is based on me being a complete sucker for asymmetrical multiplayer games. I can't count how many hours I spent on the Half-Life 2 mod "The Hidden: Source", where you are an invisible, fast, wall-jumping/climbing humanoid with a knife fighting a SWAT-ish team, and this looks like a bigger, bad-assier extension of the same principal gameplay.

I like asymmetrical MP as well but this game is just that with a couple of maps for 60 bucks. That's a really hard sell for me when it comes out around games like Destiny. I also just don#t think all their classes look fun to play. The assault class for example looks boring as hell.

Mdk7

I was skeptical about Evolve, then i tried it at E3 and boy, it's fucking awesome and probably my most wanted game of the year along with Bayonetta 2, so i can see their point.

The complete lack of Splatoon is disturbing though.

That definitely reads like a list of titles catered to the type of gamer that pre-orders a bunch of games from GameStop every month. Not surprised at all by their picks.

BokehKing

Banned
I haven't seen much of evolve but every site and podcast that I've listened to/seen says they've had a ton of fun with it

And what's with the titanfall hate in here. It was a great same that sold well and could've used more content.
Imo Titanfall was a $60 beta for Titanfall 2
Too much to write in regards to why I feel this way.

But there is no "no man's sky"
They have Destiny listed as a MMO
Idk, it's just one publication I just don't agree with thier opinion.

Well maybe With the Batman choice

KeRaSh

It was not best Wii U game at E3 this year. But I think there's a lot we haven't seen about this game yet that will show more that the game offers.

They can hit a switch and make the game look almost as good as NSMB U, switching instantly between the art styles. They said it will have other art styles too, possibly even non-Mario ones. More enemies.

It will even supposedly have a music composition tool. They keep comparing it to Mario Paint.

Don't get me wrong. I think Mario Maker is a close second for my personal best of Wii U E3 game after Zelda Wii U but I don't own a Wii U.
I thought it was cming to the 3DS (which I own) and I would have bought it day one, too.

Well, the guy did get set on fire during the press conference, I wouldn't have many nice things to say either.

someone needs to gif this Game Informer failed so hard

Is Bungie happy with Destiny getting an MMO nod?

seriously thought they were trying to keep that game from being called an MMO lol

I saw a demo of Evolve at Pax East, and wasn't all that impressed. Then again, I'm not big into multiplayer shooters.

Can't believe no No Man's Sky or Bayo 2 was mentioned. And I'm not falling for that Madden BS again. Every time they mention a gameplay change, it ends up being nothing at all.

If Splatoon was coming to the other consoles from a indie dev it would be getting even less love. I feel like it gets brought up pretty often for what it is.

From what I could gather, Evolve is versus only right? Like, there's no campaign or any of the sort, more or less like how Titanfall did it, or am I mistaken?

Gartooth

Wow at the snubbing of Nintendo games, they weren't even trying to be subtle about it by picking Mario Maker of all things.

So is Splatoon going to be like The Last of Us for Nintendo fans? That is, a really cool game that most people will enjoy in spite of the incessant banging over the head of its overwhelming incredibleness for months before and after it comes out?

why is everybody so hung up on the fact they like evolve so much? maybe it's actually fun to play? bunch of fucking whiners in this thread. it's an opinionated list, of course it's not gonna be exactly like how YOU want it.

phanphare

Banned

After watching their Nintendo recap video (I stopped the video after a few minutes...too much http://a.pomf.se/mjrlrk.gif[IMG]) I'm not surprised.
You would think these guys are super excited about games with all the almost perfect scores they're dishing out...[/QUOTE]

oh that's funny, the jokes about the gaming press flew right over their heads

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
From an outsider's perspective, this looks like a "every winner is a AAA game we really really hope the publisher will give us exclusive looks at because we gave it an award" list.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So is Splatoon going to be like The Last of Us for Nintendo fans? That is, a really cool game that most people will enjoy in spite of the incessant banging over the head of its overwhelming incredibleness for months before and after it comes out?
How terrible if we had another game that is actually amazing is lauded before release due to potential and then after release for realized potential.

Kelsey

Banned
GI gonna GI. Evolve over a whole bunch of other games including No Man's Sky? I'm almost sensing deja-vu with Titanfall.

I'm getting that Titanfall vibe too. But for completely different reasons. People that actually played Evolve are saying how much fun they had doing so, whereas people that merely watched a few videos or streams are saying otherwise.

Top Bottom