• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Why Mass Effect Andromeda Is A Better Game Than You Think

Corndog

Banned
Looking at the Legendary garbage, Andromeda is definitely the best Mass Effect game yet by a great margin. Andromeda was a very good game infested with glitches even after the final patch when I played it, and it's one of my best games last gen.
It was the worst game. The trilogy had a much better story. Combat while simple, worked well. Andromeda had poor alien design, poor story, and useless squad mates especially at higher difficulty. I did not mind the initial setting but they did nothing with it. Also most of the armory looked terrible.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It was the worst game. The trilogy had a much better story. Combat while simple, worked well. Andromeda had poor alien design, poor story, and useless squad mates especially at higher difficulty. I did not mind the initial setting but they did nothing with it. Also most of the armory looked terrible.

Not sure if I'll play the Legenday if it was offered for free, honestly speaking. Anyway, have a good day/night.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I like Andromeda. I bought it first on PS4 and again later on Xbox One X and I've played through it 7 or 8 times. I came to terms early on that it wasn't the original and I've enjoyed it for what it is. I was disappointed when they announced that the DLC was canceled and I kind of wish they'd still make it just for fan service but it will never happen.

That said I'd prefer that Bioware somehow undo the ending of Mass Effect 3 and have Shepard reappear on some remote planet and go on a quest to regain whatever he lost or some kind of retcon to keep the Milky Way story line going.

theres many things wrong with it but the actual gameplay is pretty good. way better than the other games. its just.. they got everything else wrong.

EDMIX

Mass Effect Andromeda is such a good game that I feel the exaggeration on how bad it is is a bit out of control.

It's simply not that bad...

So it's not to say they did not have a few issues at launch but what we've seen from cyberpunk 2077 very much goes to show there's much more worse ways a game can be released. I'm okay with some weird animations if that's literally the only issue.

I generally never liked any of the stories in the Mass Effect series but I actually liked the one in this game in terms of the entire Ark story of civilization. I also enjoyed the gameplay much better than the previous 3.

Overall I believe the controversy and outrage over this game is blown completely out of proportion. It's a OK game, definitely not Game of the Year material

Definitely not the worst game in History either.

Corndog

Banned
Mass Effect Andromeda is such a good game that I feel the exaggeration on how bad it is is a bit out of control.

It's simply not that bad...

So it's not to say they did not have a few issues at launch but what we've seen from cyberpunk 2077 very much goes to show there's much more worse ways a game can be released. I'm okay with some weird animations if that's literally the only issue.

I generally never liked any of the stories in the Mass Effect series but I actually liked the one in this game in terms of the entire Ark story of civilization. I also enjoyed the gameplay much better than the previous 3.

Overall I believe the controversy and outrage over this game is blown completely out of proportion. It's a OK game, definitely not Game of the Year material

Definitely not the worst game in History either.
I think the problem is the previous games are game of the year material. And andromeda most definitely is not.

Paid 5 dollars for this game and I still regretted it.

This game, beyond all reasonable rationale, is the benchmark of shit taste for me.

I seriously think everyone who enjoys this game must/or may enjoy a little scat fetish to truly say this game was anywhere near good.

I know, its hyperbole, but the disappointment I had - truly believing when I bought it that it MUST be better than what the people are saying - is immeasurable.

3 years after the fact and it's still some broken, janky, cringey AF game with some of the worst animation coming out of a AAA game and complimented with the least memorable cast of voice actors with some truly shit characters.

And the new aliens? Ugly as sin.

Burn this game, bury it, and forget about it.

EA has.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
The game came out almost 2 years after Witcher 3. It was an average game but in comparison to the Witcher it was mediocre.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
That kind of half assed art with laughable gif killed the game.
249.gif

EDMIX

I think the problem is the previous games are game of the year material. And andromeda most definitely is not.

For some, I never felt that about the other titles personally. No Mass Effect to me was GOTY. They are not bad games, but the best of what released that year? I never felt so.

2007, I felt strongly that it was between Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Portal, Uncharted etc. Mass Effect wasn't the worst game I played that year, but I could never say it was my favorite...

2010, now I like Mass Effect 2 way more then 1 as even though its less RPG in some areas, its a better game for the most part, either way....Red Dead Redemption and Fallout New Vegas where my GOTYs easily.

2012- Gravity Rush, FEZ, I think I like 90% of what I bought that year more then Mass Effect 3 lol

So for me personally, I don't think any of the series has ever really been a GOTY for me as I always liked other titles better, but I see what you mean in terms of others giving it that award and really liking the series. I guess I never really cared that much about Mass Effect as much as most die hards.

Its probably why Mass Effect Andromeda to me was just another Mass Effect. I'm not a fanatic, I'm not a die hard religious fan that ever gave any of the titles a personal GOTY etc. I personally like its story better and its combat better.

So I'd say my favorite is Mass Effect 2 and Andromeda.

Fbh

I do think it got a bit more hate than it deserved. The early state of the game just made hating on it become a meme.

But even if you removed all the bugs and glitches and improved the animations, the main issue was that the story and characters just weren't nearly as captivating as any of the games in the original trilogy. Then you add all the crap open world (or "open area") bloat and design that also plagued DA Inquisition , and you get a game that not only isn't very good at capturing what made ME special, it just isn't very good in general.

I will say though that I agree the combat was great. And the visuals of the environments were really good too.

In a way it got the other half of the equation right. The original games only had serviceable combat but it didn't matter too much because the main appeal was the awesome world and characters. Andromeda got the combat right but missed the mark with the rest.

One would hope the new game they are working on will manage to combine both. Though my expectations of modern Bioware doing anything good are close to zero.

Last edited:

Braag

I didn't hate it but it was a step back when it came to characters and overall plot.
The Reapers were and infinitely more interesting idea than The Scourge.
The characters were just inferior versions of the ME trilogy characters.
The combat was great though.
The exploration was okay but got rather dull fast cause there were so many "collect this and that" stuff around.

My biggest gripe though was that it take place in Andromeda. Who cares what happens there, honestly. All I kept thinking about was "what's going on in Milky Way right now?".
Ultimately it detached itself too much from the main series imo.

Stuart360

I didn't hate it but it was a step back when it came to characters and overall plot.
The Reapers were and infinitely more interesting idea than The Scourge.
The characters were just inferior versions of the ME trilogy characters.
The combat was great though.
The exploration was okay but got rather dull fast cause there were so many "collect this and that" stuff around.

My biggest gripe though was that it take place in Andromeda. Who cares what happens there, honestly. All I kept thinking about was "what's going on in Milky Way right now?".
Ultimately it detached itself too much from the main series imo.
Its been a while since i last played the game but do they even explain WHY they are going to Andromeda to find a new home?. I mean they set off before the events in the orig trilogy, so there is no Reaper threat etc, and the milky way is teeming with life and lush planets etc.
I could never get my head around the whole Andromeda plot, and why they were going to Andromeda.

Tschumi

Looking at the Legendary garbage, Andromeda is definitely the best Mass Effect game yet by a great margin. Andromeda was a very good game infested with glitches even after the final patch when I played it, and it's one of my best games last gen.
Knew it! :p

Yeah, great game, definitely sorted out.

Must find reviews of legendary edition now.. can only say i had a lot of doubts about it going in..

NoviDon

I'm the type of gamer that when something is truly great about your game, I hone in on that and can be very forgiving about some of the obvious shortcomings. and the gameplay of this game was just that for me. Sure, the story wasnt particularly engaging, and characters were mediocre, and the game had some technical issues, but the thing that you do for 90 percent of the game... is play it. And that aspect of this entry in the series completely outclassed the gameplay of other games in the series. The combat is fast paced, frenetic, and exhilarating. Its worth playing if you really enjoy third person shooting and light rpg elements.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Andromeda is like Battlefront II where people just remember the launch controversy and people never looked at it again. But like Battlefront II the updates have somewhat fixed it and it's not terrible.
I saw a Youtube video several months back with a similar thesis to this one. And so I gave Andromeda a try. And I gave it a fair try too... like 10-15 hours. But I just didn't care about the characters or the story. And the open world stuff was tedious. Multiplayer was pretty fun, but still not as good as ME3. It's not a horrible game, but it is one of the most disappointing games ever because of the expectations set by the original trilogy. Maybe a person who never played the originals would have an easier time enjoying this game.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Except for the faces, graphic was pretty good, at least on pc.
On consoles, i noticed a ton of low resolution textures, and the character models look fucking awful. Seriously they used the same turian and asari model for almost every turian and asari in the game. Its a huge noticable shortcut that rhey took and it kills any immersion the game might have gad

GymWolf

On consoles, i noticed a ton of low resolution textures, and the character models look fucking awful. Seriously they used the same turian and asari model for almost every turian and asari in the game. Its a huge noticable shortcut that rhey took and it kills any immersion the game might have gad
Oh yeah, i noticed the re-use of assets.

Absolutely not.

Some gameplay improvements aside (allegedly, assuming the bugs have actually been fixed) everything else was a significant downgrade. Instead of High SciFi you got one of the first "modernized" narratives where an old and well established universe is changed so that everything is a direct commentary of "today's society."

And making characters intentionally unattractive and unappealing made them, shockingly, unappealing to most people. So you had a joke set of characters and story, and the universe was a filler side story due to the ending of ME3.

Last edited:

wolywood

It was, and still is, a solid 7/10 game. People are absolutely right about the writing being its weakest point though, I spent close to 60 hours completing the game and couldn't tell you a single thing about the plot except that it involved Nazi aliens or something.

Aion002

It's not terrible, it's just annoying to play. It's poorly made in many things... Also, the story is kinda fucking terrible and the multiplayer is worse than 3 with a shit ton of glitches and stuff.

I tried again this week on the Series S with the game pass and the game still seems to be in a eternal bugged beta... In the second round of a mp match my character just turned invisible and started glitching, I got out of the game and uninstalled it.

This was my fourth and last time trying it (I bought day one on the ps4).

Paramount Network Luke GIF by Yellowstone

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Its been a while since i last played the game but do they even explain WHY they are going to Andromeda to find a new home?. I mean they set off before the events in the orig trilogy, so there is no Reaper threat etc, and the milky way is teeming with life and lush planets etc.
I could never get my head around the whole Andromeda plot, and why they were going to Andromeda.

The expedition leaves between ME2 and 3. It was originally just an experiment/ expedition. They weren’t looking to save life in the galaxy, just colonize the new galaxy to advance themselves, knowing there was some weird stuff happening. But later you do learn that one of the lead scientists had actually known about the reaper threat as well. It’s not unlike how we want to try and colonize Mars. We don’t need to, but it’d be cool.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Combat is easily the best. Some story plots are also very nice but some are among the worst. I’d say it is a good game that for some reason was hated by the media. Something similar happened to Cyberpunk2077.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
I didn't give the controversy any weight and bought the game anyway. I got bored and walked away. It just wasn't engaging and I almost never feel that way about games.

I thought it had some really nice visuals at times (faces not included), the vehicle was much better than Mako and the combat was satisfying.

The rest was disappointing, some poor writing, waste of actors (Clancy Brown in particular) , monotonous mission structure with the repeat of Remnant Vaults, characters not as interesting as the OT, the galaxy map whilst a nice idea in principle to improve on it the execution was poor and even the soundtrack was bland compared to the OT.

I hope this new Mass Effect isn’t a repeat situation.

Bigfroth

I had a good time with Andromeda I don't think the characters were as strong as in the original trilogy. I'm currently playing through ME1 (my first time) and enjoying it.

Zambatoh

I've tried playing this game several times over the last couple of years. But every time I try, I'm quickly reminded of how terrible the main cast is. That I actually went out of my way to avoid talking to them in game. But then I would just get bored of the game in general and stop playing after a few hours.
Never before have I ever seen a more bland and unappealing cast of characters in a Sci-fi this side of the straight-to-video Starship Troopers sequels.

graywolf323

Gold Member
honestly I'll always be a little disappointed that we'll never get the DLC or the rest of the trilogy that they clearly had planned when playing through Andromeda

it got all that hate for the rough state of the animations during the 10 hour trial available through EA Play before it launched which really hurt it (somewhat unfairly)

but this is exactly the problem and why I believe Andromeda didn't get a fair shake

people keep comparing the first game in what was clearly planned as a trilogy against an ENTIRE trilogy of games act like why didn't the first part give us more answers like it took 3 games to give us? >_<

Last edited:

oldergamer

That kind of half assed art with laughable gif killed the game.

How you go from characters like Shepard, Wrex, Garrus and Liara to that gif, who the hell knows.
Totally agree. I couldn't get over how bad the facial models and animation looked. They were clearly a step back from mass effect 1 on xbox 360 which was totally unacceptable

Top Bottom