• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

[Game Informer] Naughty By Nature – Naughty Dog Leadership Reflects On The Studio's History

yurinka

Jan 19, 2007
Barcelona, Spain
www.capcom-town.es
Most interesting part is this:

GI - "You basically put a bow on the Uncharted series, but you still have that The Last of Us multiplayer project in the works. Do you want to continue to work on the IP you’ve established or do you have a desire to create new properties at this point?"

Evan Wells: "I think the easy answer is: both. I think there’s excitement to develop new IP, but there is still a ton of love for Uncharted and The Last of Us, and I think you’ll see both kinds of projects from us in the future."

Sounds good. I hope to see more The Last of Us or Uncharted games, but I also want a new IP from them.

Hope they do both, as he says they will.
Great news, I also want both.

I think they are super talented but sadly lately they seem more worried about pleasing Anita and the woke crowd than to make great games.

I want TLOU3 to start with Ellie chopping Abby's head with a chainsaw and to have half of the game flashbacks where you play Joel in memories 'expained' by his brother and Ellie, while in the other half you'd play Ellie trying to find her mother and the reason of why he can't be infected. In Uncharted I want Nate to be the main character again.

I don't like what they did with Lost Legacy and TLOU2 with their woke bullshit about playable male characters being a taboo, relegating males to being dumb, weak or bad guys and women that had to look ugly and to have male bodies. They must tone down their woke bullshit and go back to how they did it in TLOU1/Left Behind and Uncharted 4, where there was diversity but done properly.

Same goes with making their games artificially too long only to fill their diversity checklist of random npcs representing X minority. To put a certain character of a minority because it makes sense in the story and add something is good. To have a guy only to say 'pendejo' a several times so they can say they included a latino is bad.

I think TLOU2 and Uncharted 4 would have been way better if a bit shorter. In fact I'd had chopped at least third: the wolves guys don't add anything and Abby's part feels to long because you think it's going to be a short flashback and wants to know what happens after the cliffhanger. And well, you as player also hate all these characters because you are playing this part they tortured and killed the beloved while hetero male co-protagonist because the woke writers think white hetero males are toxic and must be replaced by ugly trans/male looking females to empower 0.01% of their players while not giving a shit of making angry or dissapoint a good chunk of their existing (and many of them former) fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: RareJordan

kyliethicc

Mar 14, 2020
You do realize you said he wanted to kill her off in Uncharted 4, but thats in Uncharted 2 right?

There's a big fucking difference between killing off Elena after 4 games of her being Drake's girl and killing Elena off in the second game to replace her with Chloe.

But duh, Neil is a darker serious writer. He openly says he can't write jokes and that for UC4 Josh Scherr the co-writer wrote all the funny lines. Everybody has strengths and weaknesses and creatives influence one another during the creative process.

Great news, I also want both.

I think they are super talented but sadly lately they seem more worried about pleasing Anita and the woke crowd than to make great games.

I want TLOU3 to start with Ellie chopping Abby's head with a chainsaw and to have half of the game flashbacks where you play Joel in memories 'expained' by his brother and Ellie, while in the other half you'd play Ellie trying to find her mother and the reason of why he can't be infected. In Uncharted I want Nate to be the main character again.

I don't like what they did with Lost Legacy and TLOU2 with their woke bullshit about playable male characters being a taboo, relegating males to being dumb, weak or bad guys and women that had to look ugly and to have male bodies. They must tone down their woke bullshit and go back to how they did it in TLOU1/Left Behind and Uncharted 4, where there was diversity but done properly.

Same goes with making their games artificially too long only to fill their diversity checklist of random npcs representing X minority. To put a certain character of a minority because it makes sense in the story and add something is good. To have a guy only to say 'pendejo' a several times so they can say they included a latino is bad.

I think TLOU2 and Uncharted 4 would have been way better if a bit shorter. In fact I'd had chopped at least third: the wolves guys don't add anything and Abby's part feels to long because you think it's going to be a short flashback and wants to know what happens after the cliffhanger. And well, you as player also hate all these characters because you are playing this part they tortured and killed the beloved while hetero male co-protagonist because the woke writers think white hetero males are toxic and must be replaced by ugly trans/male looking females.
denzel washington cringe GIF

Last edited:

DForce

Nov 23, 2017
I knew your information was from TLOU2 reddit.. A shit ton of misinformation.

Here are the actual facts.

Neil Duckmann says their ideas were rejected by Sony multiple times.

That means this claim right here....

Same thing almost happened with TLOU, if it wasnt for Bruce that game would have been alot different from what we’ve got.

....is a lie.

Jun 28, 2013
"A lot of fans have this perception of Naughty Dog as this crown jewel in Sony’s cap"

Insomniac, GG, SSM, SP even Team Asobi and Housemarque have leapfrogged them.

U4 and tLoU2 were polished PS3 era games.
You Druckmann groupies need to stop. Seek help.

• LOL
Reactions: Amiga

Fredrik

Jun 27, 2005
I wish they would go back to making actual video games and cease all this movie game stuff. Their older games were much better than their current stuff.
Another Jak game is my dream announcement from ND.

But I like the Uncharted serie too, it has a nice vibe, like an Indiana Jones movie, lots of action and lots of humor. I’d love if they could do Uncharted 5, as long as they keep the vibe from the previous games.

But Druckmann is like a middle-aged emo teenager. I was into blood, gore and brutality in games too, when I was 11-14. Add 30+ years and it does nothing for me. It’s just annoying. Made me skip TLOUP2, supposedly the best game of all time, and I’m not even a tiny bit interested to check if that was a wise choice. They can wake me up once they’re out of their teenage years.

I’m so glad that Insomniac hasn’t gone down that route, my favorite PS developer right now. Ratchet & Clank is up there among my favorite games of the year, they even bothered doing Swedish voice acting, well-made too, so I could play through it with the kids. More games like that and this world would be a better place I think.

Guerrilla is close as well. So close to hit the mark with the Horizon IP. If they would remove the bandits they could have Star Wars-like toys in stores. I did some open world robo dino hunting with my 5 yo in HZD and it was like he had seen the door to the heavens lol. Imagine Ninjago figures and LEGO from HZD. They absolutely nailed the enemy designs with that IP, they’re pure perfection, incredibly well thoughtout and cool. But they stumbled on the finish line and thought the bandits was needed to have teenagers and adults playing the game and with that skipped a gigantic market. It’s still a big IP of course but compared to those hitting the kids market too it hardly even exist, and the bandits were boring too so why are they even there?

Last edited:

dDoc

Jun 14, 2019
Neil Druckmann: We have so many talented people that are good at solving problems, whether they’re creative or technical. Let me go back to The Last of Us Part II; some pillars that were important to us were diversity, diversity in the people we hire and the characters that we have in our game

Do they really have to push this shit so much?

MagnesG

Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Neil Druckmann: We have so many talented people that are good at solving problems, whether they’re creative or technical. Let me go back to The Last of Us Part II; some pillars that were important to us were diversity, diversity in the people we hire and the characters that we have in our game

Do they really have to push this shit so much?
It's not even related to the question... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Reactions: Saint Boot

Heisenberg007

Nov 16, 2020
Very very opinable.
Yes. But in many respects, they factually are the very best in the business.

Their last three main games have been GOTY. 3/3. Two of those games (TLOU and Uncharted) have sold ~20 million copies, despite being PlayStation exclusives. TLOU 2 is pacing towards 20 million lifetime copies as well. Their games achieve unprecedented levels of detail, fidelity, animation, and visuals.

So, in many respects, they are literally the best in the business, when compared to other top-tier studios.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Hobbygaming