• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer June cover: Top 100 RPGs of All Time

CTRL+F "Final Fantasy IX" - No results.

Welp.

Also, Horizon Zero Dawn is as much of an RPG as Assassin's Creed is. As in, it uses the exact same character progression as the two most recent AC games, with action/stealth based gameplay to boot. How did people get duped into believing that game is an RPG?

The contents of the list aren't horrible (Suikoden 2 and SoM both getting some love), but Skyrim beating out FF VI, Chrono Trigger, and Witcher 3... Sure, in sales I guess.

Hmmm...not a fan of that list. Skyrim being number 1 is...well I enjoyed the game at least although it wouldn't be in my top 10 favourite rpgs. ME2 on the other hand...well objectively it had its strengths, but I thought it had such a poor sense of exploration and modular/small environments in a game supposedly designed around exploration. It wasn't very good.

Witcher 3 deserves its spot at least.

Heartfyre

It's hard to have strong feelings about a meaningless list that GameInformer puts together out of a failure to get a decent cover story so close to E3, but they effectively goaded me with their #1 pick. RPGs mean a lot of things to a lot of different people, but it's hard to award another RPG that fails on so many points but succeeds so well in one aspect in particular, being exploration/player-generated storytelling.

ajb1888

Banned
Although I personally love several RPG's more, including the Souls games, Skyrim is my MOST played game of all time. Six years later and still its utterly fantastic :D

Also its probably the most mainstream and recognizable RPG title out there. Huge sales and cultural impact, I am fine with it at the top of this list.

jay

How the fuxk is shining force 2 not in this list???

Lists like these are largely biased based on popularity and availability. Something few people played like PDS only got onto the list as a late entry nod to the fact that its fans are rabid.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
That Top 10 is really something.
Witcher and CT are great and I know lots of folks really like Mass Effect 2, but Diablo 2 and Skyrim? LOL.

Diablo 2 is a great game and certainly worthy of the list, but not 8 overall.

I also cannot truck with any list that puts Planescape Torment anywhere below Baldur's Gate 2. Planescape is probably #1 on my list.

They did well to include stuff like Xenoblade Chronicles (should be higher as well), Suikoden II (should be top 10), and Deus Ex, but Skyrim at #1 is just so so bad.

hatchx

Banned
I don't understand why Zelda: Breath of the Wild is on that list. Are Zelda's RPGs? And if so, why aren't any of the other ones represented?

Well at least Panzer Dragoon Saga, Vagrant Story, Suikoden II some Persona, Valkyria Chronicles and a Shadow Hearts made it on there so while I can't completely agree with the list I've seen far worse.

ethomaz

Banned
FFVI is my choice because I really don't like Skrym but I understand the appeal.

FFXV out is so deserved.

Solid names in the TOP100.

That Top 10 is really something.
Witcher and CT are great and I know lots of folks really like Mass Effect 2, but Diablo 2 and Skyrim? LOL.

Diablo 2 is a great game and certainly worthy of the list, but not 8 overall.

I also cannot truck with any list that puts Planescape Torment anywhere below Baldur's Gate 2. Planescape is probably #1 on my list.

They did well to include stuff like Xenoblade Chronicles (should be higher as well), Suikoden II (should be top 10), and Deus Ex, but Skyrim at #1 is just so so bad.

What's weird to me is that Diablo 2 isn't even the best game in its own series, so why is it up so high? Diablo 3 plays better, and Diablo 1 had better atmosphere and music.

Catvoca

Banned
Kotor 1 is on the list but no Kotor 2?

2536312-2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
am I blind? Where is Link?

I don't even play much Zelda stuff (except OoT and BotW), and that was the omission I noticed first as well...so weird.

Not sure I'd class some of those as RPGs, but pretty solid list overall I reckon.

I would have Wild Hunt at #1, with Mass Effect 1 a close second and Bloodborne in third spot.

Jennipeg

CTRL+F "Final Fantasy IX" - No results.

Welp.

Also, Horizon Zero Dawn is as much of an RPG as Assassin's Creed is. As in, it uses the exact same character progression as the two most recent AC games, with action/stealth based gameplay to boot. How did people get duped into believing that game is an RPG?

lol, I just did the same thing, surely they could have swapped Final Fantasy with IX. I knew VIII wouldn't make the list but skipping IX is rough.

Fredrik

Breath of the Wild's inclusion and ranking seems really weird.

Like there's no way in a simple best game ever list or their GOTY list for 2017 that P5 beats BotW, but it's above BotW on this. It's like them admitting BotW might not really, technically be an RPG.
lol yeah it makes zero sense. You either say that it is an RPG and give it the position the Game Of All Time should have, or you say that it isn't an RPG and ignore it completely.
It's not an RPG imo. No experience points, no character stats, no RPG.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
No FFIX? C'mon now.

Also, I enjoyed Mass Effect 2 a lot, but how on Earth does that deserve to be in the top 5?

Dr.Hadji

I don't understand why Zelda: Breath of the Wild is on that list. Are Zelda's RPGs? And if so, why aren't any of the other ones represented?

They're being extremely lazy with their selections. Though it is interesting. If you were to judge purely as an RPG experience, how would it rank? Clearly not as high as Secret of the Mana lol!

Toad.T

Banned
> includes paper mario game
> isn't TTYD

wew lads.

But I guess subjectiveness is the nature of lists in general, so why should i complain?

Chris R

A lot of good games around where I'd put them on this list, but then Skyrim sits at #1...

Hoping this doesn't get locked for going full listwarz but they did make some interesting choices, like Skyrim ahead of Morrowind, or Fallout 3 ahead of New Vegas.

daveo42

Banned
Its a good game, but I don't love it. I actually didn't even finish it, I struggle with open world games, I just get bored. I'd maybe put it in the top 20.

It scratched my discovery itch of just finding stuff in the world. It was nice to just wander around for 100 hours and just see/do shit. But the main quests killed it for me. I didn't care about the factions, I didn't care about the Elder Scrolls or dragon gods or anything else and just wanted to find my way to a cave and kill a god thanks to a talking dog. It should be on the list, but it's a top half game, not #1 game. New Vegas is vastly better and it scratches the same aimless wanderer itch.

Lol Skyrim at #1 just made my day. The delicious salt will go on for days. Thank you GI. If only Fallout 4 had made #2.

Morrowind should be above Skyrim.

Persona 5 over P4 and P3? No FFXV? It's their opinion. Not going to be upset at it but my list would be very different.

At least they put a Kingdom Hearts game on there...

Edit: There are some really weird additions in there. And some puzzling omissions.

Gothic 2
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Alpha Protocol
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
The Witcher
Risen
The Age of Decadence

why is VTMB so low
why are Oblivion, Inquisition, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 3 in this list

?????????????

GhaleonEB

Skyrim is my favorite game of all time, and certainly favorite RPG (though I don't play that many these days). It enables some wonderful role playing, and Skyrim itself, the place you inhabit and explore, is an incredibly realized location. I'm still working through the SE six months after it came out.

That said, I take all such lists like this and toss off the numbers and just take it as a list of general recommendations. Trying to argue the ranking etc. is such a fruitless exercise.

I'm very glad to see Panzer Dragoon Saga get a mention. I really wish more people had the chance to play it; it could really use a remaster. (IIRC, the source code is lost.)

Top Bottom