• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer June cover: Top 100 RPGs of All Time

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines is at... 98?

Guess I'm having a 'get off my hexgrid lawn, kids' moment (Bastion? Destiny?)

It's been weird to see the meaning of RPG shift from 'trying to emulate freeform tabletop roleplaying' to 'anything with stats and skill trees'.

At least I played everything on that list that isn't console-exclusive. Only big omissions I can spot are Age of Decadence and Shadowrun: Dragonfall (or is that the title meant at 42?)

Wow, Radiant Historia made it. That's cool.

Also no SMT is ridiculous, especially when all 3 modern Persona games made it -_-

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Had a feeling it would be Skyrim when I saw the thread, that's gonna cause some fewm.

At least they correctly place Kotor above it's inferior sequel. Well written characters don't make up for the game being a buggy mess with no fucking ending. I don't know about everyone else, but a story driven game needs more than a 'poochie died on his way back to his home planet'.

Had a feeling it would be Skyrim when I saw the thread, that's gonna cause some fewm.

At least they correctly place Kotor above it's inferior sequel. Well written characters don't make up for the game being a buggy mess with no fucking ending. I don't know about everyone else, but a story driven game needs more than a 'poochie died on his way back to his home planet'.

I love both equally, but I would absolutely put 2 over 1 if it wasn't a buggy mess. The writing is just superior in 2.

sigh..
nowdays it's enough that you have a skill tree and you can fight.. and boom!
you have an rpg!

we are getting loose on the grip...

plus where is the actual list? on the linked site there is no list published *_*

I'm just confused that SOTN is now an RPG

The Diablo series (and the lootfest subgenre in general) is on thin ice as is, and yet Diablo II is in sacred cow RPG territory. Smh.

Also, Kingdom Hearts II at #25? Ys: Oath in Felghana DESTROYS anything from that series and isn't even anywhere near the list.

Also, it makes their neglect of Paper Mario: TTYD and lack of respect for Zelda II feel positively churlish.

Baldur's Gate II and Planescape: Torment shouldn't be eclipsed by any other (ok, post BG2 in the case of the BI developed P: T) Bioware games or Witcher 3.

skypunch

Banned
Nobody should be getting worked up about a meaningless list such as this. It means absolutely nothing. It's such an easy, brainless thing to put together.

UberTag

No Trails in the Sky means no effort was spent in making this redeemable.
Let's see if IGN can do better.

Grandia better be in the list, one of the best RPGs there is
It's not on the list. Grandia II somehow made it, though.
Anyone that's played both games knows that's a mistake.

TheChamp

No Trails in the Sky means no effort was spent in making this redeemable.
Let's see if IGN can do better.

It's not on the list. Grandia II somehow made it, though.
Anyone that's played both games knows that's a mistake.

Grandia 2 is awful, the story just felt really bland and Roan urghhhhh (the music was good I will give it that)

PsionBolt

I mean, I don't want to downplay anyone's effort here, but it's hard to take a list like this any kind of seriously when it has things like Awakening being the highest-ranked Fire Emblem. It shows that whatever process they used to rank these just isn't even close to in line with how I think about games.

I suppose this list is not for me.

Nobody should be getting worked up about a meaningless list such as this. It means absolutely nothing. It's such an easy, brainless thing to put together.

Sad part is that GI still has one of the bigger readerships in the industry.

A list with little merit is a brainless thing to put together. One with thought and insight takes lots of deliberation.

Skyrim is possibly the most overrated game of all time. And I really like it for what I get out of it. I really like Oblivion. I loved Morrowind. I'll get super excited at the announcement of The Elder Scrolls VI.

But I'll never forget what a poster once said on NeoGAF: Skyrim is a bunch of bad or mediocre game elements clumsily stitched together with a great soundtrack and sense of adventure.

Firemind

I mean, I don't want to downplay anyone's effort here, but it's hard to take a list like this any kind of seriously when it has things like Awakening being the highest-ranked Fire Emblem. It shows that whatever process they used to rank these just isn't even close to in line with how I think about games.

I suppose this list is not for me.
FE5 and 6 would just destroy them.

What do you mean my lord only deals single digit damage?

Scrawnton

Skyrim shouldn't be number one. Persona 5 is way too high. Horizon isn't even an RPG to me, it's in the same vein as assassins creed to me and is more or less an action game.

Pokémon gold/silver should be top ten. Chrono Trigger got robbed and WoW should be higher.

Mario RPG is way too high and TWEWY is way too low. Swap them.

Zaventem

Less outrage than i expected. Also if a game in the series outclasses the first i don't see why a legacy slot should be a MUST inclusion. I feel like they just do this to quell the nerd rage.

Reckheim

Skyrim shouldn't be number one. Persona 5 is way too high. Horizon isn't even an RPG to me, it's in the same vein as assassins creed to me and is more or less an action game.

Pokémon gold/silver should be top ten. Chrono Trigger got robbed and WoW should be higher.

Mario RPG is way too high and TWEWY is way too low. Swap them.

I was surprised it was even on the cover, if Horizons is an RPG then might as well put fucking Doom in there as well.

faridmon

The World Ends With You is better than at least 30 games underneath it.

But I guess with every list: its subjective

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This list has reminded me that I need to play FF6, but I was unfortunately I'm European and Square won't let me.

Hopefully it comes to Switch and/or SNES classic, I'm not getting a GBA and I hear the PSN version is shite.

coljae

Slight aside to the thread but does anyone want to venture an educated guess how long it would take to play through that entire list?

Lister

Banned
I think the uselesness of these lists are made worse by the tremendous widening of the genre's the supposedly try to rank.

Bastion shouldn't be on this list, though I sure as hell love the game.

This list just doesn't make any sense. IcewindDale II wa sgreta, but Pillars is a better RPG, for example. Objectively a better RPG.

Top Bottom