• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer June cover: Top 100 RPGs of All Time

Hylian7

Pleasantly surprised to see Dragon Quest III on there, considering most people in the West aren't aware of its influence on JRPGs as a whole.

Gave Persona 3,4, and 5 plenty of love doe :/
I think Nocturne deserved a spot on the list at least. I'm surprised not a single SMT game made it on the list. I might understand 1, 2, and if... not being there, but Nocturne, maybe they IV or IV Apocalypse? Strange Journey? Spin-off but closer to mainline games like Soul Hackers? Digital Devil Saga?

You know, people get all butthurt about Skyrim, but I tell you, I've been playing RPGs since my parents got me Final Fantasy 1 in 1990, and the Elder Scrolls series, moreso with each iteration, exemplifies the ideal RPG in my mind.

A world, an open landscape of shit to see and do, and the freedom to do so with as much or little structure as you want. Adding in the mod scene and the world reactivity, and I can't think of anything feasible that I could prefer.

Don't get me wrong, I understand some of the common complaints about these games, but for me, it's the epitome of a "role playing game".

Final Fantasy VI is the best final fantasy but they dropped the ball on the Top 1 , Skyrim?

781.gif

EDIT: Tactics Ogre being so low too

Ranking RPGs just seems like a pointless endeavor. There are simply too many subgenres: traditional JRPGs, SRPGs, action RPGs, classic CRPGs, modern WRPGs, open world games with RPG elements, old school sandbox MMOs, modern themepark MMOs, etc. These games are so different that it is practically impossible to even compare them.

Beyond the impossibility of seriously comparing such disparate types of experiences, there is also the practical concern regarding those doing the ranking. These games are normally such involved time investments that who is actually qualified to have opinions on 100+ of them? How many people do you know, including yourself, that have actually sat down and played even the most celebrated games in all or most of the aforementioned subgenres? Even if you, like me, genuinely enjoy them all (most seem to have more selective preferences). For example, even though I love RPGs and have played games in all noteworthy subgenres, I have never played games such as

the Suikoden series
SMT games other than Persona
about half the Dragon Quest games
most Fire Emblems
the majority of the current crowd funded CRPGs revival
Fallout 1-2

Those are just off the top of my head. I have played a metric shit ton of RPGs in my life of all types, but I don't think that I could even come close to actually making a list of the "100 best" or whatever. Who the hell could?

Ranking RPGs just seems like a pointless endeavor. There are simply too many subgenres: traditional JRPGs, SRPGs, action RPGs, classic CRPGs, modern WRPGs, open world games with RPG elements, old school sandbox MMOs, modern themepark MMOs, etc. These games are so different that it is practically impossible to even compare them.

Beyond the impossibility of seriously comparing such disparate types of experiences, there is also the practical concern regarding those doing the ranking. These games are normally such involved time investments that who is actually qualified to have opinions on 100+ of them? How many people do you know, including yourself, that have actually sat down and played even the most celebrated games in all or most of the aforementioned subgenres? Even if you, like me, genuinely enjoy them all (most seem to have more selective preferences). For example, even though I love RPGs and have played games in all noteworthy subgenres, I have never played games such as

the Suikoden series
SMT games other than Persona
about half the Dragon Quest games
most Fire Emblems
the majority of the current crowd funded CRPGs revival
Fallout 1-2

Those are just off the top of my head. I have played a metric shit ton of RPGs in my life of all types, but I don't think that I could even come close to actually making a list of the "100 best" or whatever. Who the hell could?

I could probably sit down right now and do a list of my top 100 RPGs (according to my personal definition of the genre, of course). I'm actually kind of tempted to, but it wouldn't be any more worth reading than these lists.

kennyamr

That art is terrible.

Also, these lists should always be called something like "Top 100 RPGs of All Time According to Us"

That would be a better description, everything is subjective after all.

For example, if it was my call, Skyrim wouldn't even appear in that list.

Edit: I specifically mean the title btw. Titles should contain that imo. But again, just a opinion.

No list is complete without fucking

HOSHIGAMI BLUE EARTH

THE GREATEST GAME EVER MADE

This list is pedestrian. All lists without this game are PEDESTRIAN

go back to the crosswalk and try again.

How come the N64 and Switch are on the cover, but the SNES isn't on there? Am I just missing it? The N64 and Switch have like 5 RPGs of note, combined (and yes I'm counting Quest 64).

HeeHo

Can't blame people for being mad at the art. These are RPGs a lot of people love so when you see iconic figures like Cloud and Aloy looking nothing like themselves... it's just like 'what the hell?!'. It doesn't bug me that much aside from thinking the faces are awful.

I'm pretty excited for the content of the magazine though. I don't think GI rated Nocturne very high. A 7.5 if I remember so maybe that's why it isn't there. Maybe they thought it was good but thought no one would buy it... :B

As long as Chrono trigger is number 1 it be a good list

Yeah pretty much this. My personal favorites are Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2, Final Fantasy VI, Tactics, Golden Sun TLA, Pokemon Silver, Paper Mario TTYD, and Chrono Trigger. I'll be okay as long as they make it, though they all deserve to be in at least the top 25 on any list.

Also, these lists should always be called something like "Top 100 RPGs of All Time According to Us"

That would be a better description, everything is subjective after all.

For example, if it was my call, Skyrim wouldn't even appear in that list.

They are pretty clear that the list is subjective and arose through a lot of discussion. Not to mention the subjectivity is implied with every list.

Sotha_Sil

This. I doubt many would come up with a list like mine, and that's just the way it is. Best not to get too worked up over these lists.

It is amusing seeing such a wide difference from my opinion though. Vamp the Masq coming in at 97 whereas I'd have it in the Top 10 most likely.

I will never understand why people think Skyrim is so amazing. I think it has some good qualities and maybe does deserve a spot in a top 100 list but it should be nowhere near the top of the list (imo).

I guess what I'm trying to say is how does one even go about comparing games such as:

Planescape: Torment
Final Fantasy VI
Everquest
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Morrowind
Mass Effect
Chrono Trigger
The Witcher 3

What is the common thread that makes comparing such disparate games worthwhile? Anyone making such a list is really just listing their preferences for specific RPG subgenres for the most part. Is Chrono Trigger better or worse than Torment? Or do you just prefer JRPGs or CRPGs?

This is without even getting into the fact that most people cannot even agree on what actually qualifies as an "RPG." Are Zelda games RPGs? What about something like Borderlands? etc.

This is even more complicated by the fact that most AAA games these days are open worlds with varying degrees of RPG elements. For example, most people consider The Witcher 3 to be an RPG, but you still see the odd comment that Horizon is not an RPG, despite similarities between the two games.

HOSHIGAMI BLUE EARTH

I don't think I've ever met a person who actually liked that game. Wasn't there a slightly updated version released on another console later? GBA or DS maybe?

Vagrant Story being 87 is as bad as Skyrim being first.
VS would be in my top 5 easily.

LOL. My top 5 would basically be Skyrim, Torment, and then all three proper Ivalice games (FFT, FF12, VS).

Vanadium

I agree with none as numbered, however they hit a few hard points I find agreeable in the top 10 so I'm ok with this.

Two Yazmat games (FFT and Vagrant Story)
Star Ocean 2
Xenogears

I'm ok with the cover art. It's just missing Valkyrie Profile.

I'm pretty dissapointed how Gameinformer did this list; it's seems they only went through the list only doing descriptions for 100, 90, 80, ect with game like 99-91 only getting a picture at the bottom of the page...if you're going to do a top 100 RPG's of all time EACH game should get a description on why it's on the list, how does 100 get a description but not any game like in the top 10?

EDIT: IGN is doing it the right way.

Zolo

I will never understand why people think Skyrim is so amazing. I think it has some good qualities and maybe does deserve a spot in a top 100 list but it should be nowhere near the top of the list (imo).

It's had the biggest impact on modern western RPGs.

Xenosaga Ep. 1 being higher than Xenogears is... something.

The word you're looking for is lunacy. Xenogears should be a top 10 game on any rpg list which just makes me think that they've never played Xenogears and put it on the list on reputation alone or it would be much closer to #1 (it's rightful spot). Good to see Shadow Hearts Covenant on the list although it should be #2.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I feel like it's only GAF who remembers FFIX and FFXII fondly, the rest of the world seems to have forgotten them.

Didn't see the actual list until just now and there are definitely some oddities within and without.

-Tides of Numenara in the top 100? Haven't gotten around to playing it yet but I was under the impression that it was a disappointment and not that great? Metascore 82 so I guess it's a good game. Haven't seen too many people singing its praises around here.

-Bloodlines seems far, far too low. Would expect it to be at least in the top 30.

-Let Us Cling Together that low with FFT being in the top 10 is clearly just based on popularity. Both games are fantastic and far too similar to be that far apart in such a list.

-I admit I'm a ME1 fanboy but I just can't get on board with it at 65 and ME2 as the "fourth best RPG of all time." Not to mention ranking ME3 twenty spots higher.

-Seeing Inquisition ahead of the aforementioned games as well is hard to wrap my mind around.

-Fable 2. Really?

-NWN at 40 must be due to the toolset and user modules, right? Nobody is ranking that campaign so highly.

-One of the most egregious things here has to be Fallout 3 at 12 while New Vegas languishes all the way back at 36.

-I love Pokemon RBY but ranking them that highly is kinda lame. Can you honestly tell me that they are better games than say BW2?

-KotOR at 7 with KotOR II not even on the list is a crime.

-This is probably pointless to bring up but I've never really thought of games such as Bastion, XCOM: EU, Destiny, or Deus Ex to be "RPGs." This is a pointless road to go down though.

-Not really much to say about Skyrim at number 1 other than I don't get it but clearly a lot of people love the game.

Notable omissions
FFIX
KotOR II
DQV
Arcanum
NWN2/Mask of the Betrayer
TW1
Gothic 1/2

Chrono trigger has no business being in the top 10(or top 100) RPGs of all time
Also, bloodborne is the worst souls game, not the best one

Skyrim above Chrono Trigger? Of all games to be above Chrono Trigger, Skyrim?

And no offense, it's a great game, but Pillars of Eternity does not even qualify as one of the greatest RPGs ever made. It did make for a great OT, though.

Drac84

Did this person hate Aloy as a character? The depiction of her is so bad it almost seems malicious lol.

Just read the list. Tons of good games (obviously) there but like... I don't agree with the order. One of the buggiest games of all times at the top...

Toxi

Banned
This is a fucking weird list.

Like Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG are on it, but not Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Mario or Luigi's: Superstar Saga, even though those two tend to be the most beloved.

Also, Fallout 3 is the highest rated Fallout game, because fuck me.

This is a fucking weird list.

Like Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG are on it, but not Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Mario or Luigi's: Superstar Saga, even though those two tend to be the most beloved.

Also, Fallout 3 is the highest rated Fallout game, because fuck me.

Bowser's Inside Story would almost certainly be on there if Dan and Tim still worked there. I remember them raving about how amazing it was on one of the old Replay shows.

Van Bur3n

81. Destiny

tenor.gif

Destiny is about as much of a compelling RPG as that nugget of shit I just squatted out a few minutes ago.

68. Divinity: Original Sin
39. Fallout
38. System Shock 2
36. Fallout New Vegas

12. Fallout 3
1. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

tenor.gif

You lost. This list: irredeemable. Game Informer, stop what you're doing. Stop it. Go home. Re-think your life. Read a goddamn book. Do anything, anything. But by god, get some help. You need help. You fucking fucks, you. Because what I've witnessed here today is enough to make IGN look like Shakespeare. Because this list is ABSOLUTELY DIS-GUSTING. God help you. And your cover artist too. You need a new art style, friend.

Alas, poor Game Informer. I knew him well, IGN.

Seijuro

Love the cover image! Throwback to the video game magazines of yore.

Surprised by the lack of Seiken Densetsu 3 in the list though.

Forkball

Love the cover. It looks straight outta the 90s and I would've put that art on my wall as a kid.

A pretty safe list, but it's fairly comprehensive. I can't complain about the top ten. Skyrim's combat is terrible, but the game does give the player a tremendous amount of agency in how they interact with the world. It encapsulates the idea of shaping your own story and personality in an established world. It may not do it the best, but it is a great example.

Also genwunners strike again.

Saven

Banned
Did I really just see Xenosaga Episode I placed above Xenogears?

Game Informer never changes lol.

EDIT: I just noticed that Xenosaga Episode III, clearly the best game in the Xenosaga series, isn't even on the list.

Ne7aenG4oM1Py.gif

casiopao

HOSHIGAMI BLUE EARTH

Hoshigami is a game for those who is full masochist. That game broke little me in the past lol.T_T

INFINITE SPACE

IS THE TRUE GREATEST JRPG EVER MADE

Dept. Heaven game should also gain more recognition dammit.T_T

Top Bottom