• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer has released a God of War Ragnarok Combat Preview

Wohc

Banned
Cool for you if you're happy with this communication and marketing. I'm not.

I've no doubt this game is gonna be incredible, but this is the one of worst marketing and communication for a game i've even seen.
Do you think Sony wants to sell less than 10m copies? Of course not, so don't be worried worldwide multi million dollar marketing is gonna start soon.

Apparently if you want to see the game and aren't jumping for joy over key art you are in the wrong. How dare you want to see the gameplay 3 months out?
There's a write up on combat, a video with a little bit of new footage, and new screen shots in this thread. I want a full gameplay video too, but to claim there's "no news" and only "key art" in this thread is strange...unless you just never bothered to look at it. Plus there's a 4 minute video coming out within the next couple of weeks apparently. A 2-3 month marketing push is pretty normal I thought.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
SSR is the most distracting technique ever. It's so bad seeing light leaking on reflections because you don't have previous frame information q
Holly Hyperbole.
Game still in development, this stuff will be pushed outside of the players view. This is santa Monica we are talking about here.

Having said that. God damn that's the best looking cave 😍

Apparently if you want to see the game and aren't jumping for joy over key art you are in the wrong. How dare you want to see the gameplay 3 months out?

If you had take a sec to read the thread you would know there will be a 4min of new footage soon.

Last edited:
I don't get the critics with the combat of the first game, I liked it a lot and thought it was the best thing out of that game.

It might not be DMC style like the previous ones, but you still had lots of options when going for combos or special attacks. And impacting enemies felt great.

Glad to read the are working on enemy variety, that was a weak spot of the previous game imo.
Agreed, adored the combat in the first game. Enemy variety was lacking (bosses especially), but it didn’t really detract from the experience for me personally.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
It is the game I'm looking forward to the most since the launch of the ps5. But I don't understand people who get angry when somebody mentions it doesn't look all that different from its predecessor. Because it doesn't. Which is logical, since it still has to run on a PS4.

Doesn't mean it won't be great, because I'm sure it will be. But for now it doesn't give me the feeling that this is THE reason to buy a PS5. Again: didn't change the fact that this is the game I'm most excited about this year.

There's a write up on combat, a video with a little bit of new footage, and new screen shots in this thread. I want a full gameplay video too, but to claim there's "no news" and only "key art" in this thread is strange...unless you just never bothered to look at it. Plus there's a 4 minute video coming out within the next couple of weeks apparently. A 2-3 month marketing push is pretty normal I thought.
Let’s not act like it hasn’t been uncommonly quiet. Being a bit eager to see a highly anticipated game close to release isn’t uncommon. Starfield got a breakdown and doesn’t have an established release date. As someone who is day one on GOW wanting to see something substantial this close to release shouldn’t be chalked up to anything but excitement.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Hm so pretty much the same combat mechanics but with improved verticality/fluider controls/animations and prolly some new stuff. Exactly like HFW vs HZD in terms of gameplay. Thats fine, since I loved HFW.

shubik

So are people really angry about an expanded but mostly similar combat system now? The first one was fantastic. Why should they make big changes? It's a sequel to one of the best games of the last couple of years. Ofcourse they are going to build on top of that. The axe was one of the best-feeling weapons ever created!

The only real complaint about the first game was the enemy variety. Everything else was industry-leading. And they obviously worked on the enemy variety...

Some of you really are just here to hate. I feel bad for you.

Last edited:
Game is looking great graphically. Good leap over 2018 one imo.

But not sure if verticality will improve gameplay. It's a subtle difference but can have a great impact. Especially when previous game was praised for its methodical combat.

I remember loving Infamous back on PS3. But for Infamous 2 they made some subtle changes that I didn't like it at all.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Let’s not act like it hasn’t been uncommonly quiet. Being a bit eager to see a highly anticipated game close to release isn’t uncommon. Starfield got a breakdown and doesn’t have an established release date. As someone who is day one on GOW wanting to see something substantial this close to release shouldn’t be chalked up to anything but excitement.
Sure, but I cannot fault devs these days that want to ensure they only show things they are very confident with and they think it will not be delayed. There is a “customer is always right” and there is a “customer would be always right, but yelling obscenities at the waiters, stomping on the table, and making a mountain out of a molehill of anything they do not find perfect… c’mon you are pushing it now”…

An hair strand is changed during development: “downgradaton! Bullshots!”. Game is shown too early: “stop with the early hype, keep quiet until close to release”. Game is not constantly shown to the public: “why? What’s wrong? I demand updates… is it delayed? Is it cancelled?!?”. If this is not you give yourself a pat on the back, but enough people are.

Things could have been a bit less quiet true, but there is a middle ground between the “whatever corp does is good, good spokesperson with grin loves us, corp is for the player whatever” and “what? They expect us to be reasonable?!? FNoooo”.

Looks exactly the same as the previous game.

But I blame SSM for sticking to PS4 for this title.
xoVFTVt.jpg
QtmTlCi.jpg

Exactly the same? You all need to put some new glasses on because this looks much better than 2018.
Even the wrinkles behind Kratos head looks better. Or weapon model and texture.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
So it's just some random journous that will tell us what they feel about the game, like i should care.

Where is the gameplay Sony? what happened to those awesome dedicated state play?
I think Sony want to get TLOU Part 1 out of the door 1st before they really ramp up the GoW Ragnarok marketing

GymWolf

They shared footage with Game Informer, the full footage should be shown off in a week or two whenever Sony has their big showcase.
Not gonna lie, releasing such shitty quality pics hurts the game more than doing any favor, especially after the graphically less than impressive first trailer.

This game is in dire need of a great showing, not saying that people are not hyped or that is not gonna sell a couple of millions at day one, but yeah...

GymWolf

It does look like a PS4 game though. Which doesn't mean it looks bad in any way - the previous game still looks great - but it's not on the level I would expect from a game made for the PS5 from the ground up.
It's literally made from the ground up on ps4, the game is crossgen unfortunately.

g24wh5e1cxk91.jpg

Smoke, fire and particle effects looking improved. I bet those are the areas where game will look a lot better than 2018 GoW.
Also LOD
P6E9Bam.jpg

Some textures I think are a bit better and models. Honestly I don't get why people are so keen on saying it looks worse. It's also crossgen and we're getting 2 games cramped up into one, it's supposed to be 2x longer than GoW 2018. And the devs were saying in some interview that they didn't want to do longer postproduction with 2 more Norse Saga games, so we will get a 50h+ wild ride with conclusion of Norse Saga with two games, not three.

We could get 25h game and then wait 4 more years for a bit better graphics but then some people would still bitch about it, I guess.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Not gonna lie, releasing such shitty quality pics hurts the game more than doing any favor, especially after the graphically less than impressive first trailer.

This game is in dire need of a great showing, not saying that people are not hyped or that is not gonna sell a couple of millions at day one, but yeah...
Game informer has a 4min gameplay to show soon

For people who missed it

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don't get the critics with the combat of the first game, I liked it a lot and thought it was the best thing out of that game.

It might not be DMC style like the previous ones, but you still had lots of options when going for combos or special attacks. And impacting enemies felt great.

Glad to read the are working on enemy variety, that was a weak spot of the previous game imo.
That's mostly people who didn't played the game, or trolls or people playing on easy/normal.

That bitch of a queen valkyria was a more satisfying boss fight than 90% of boss fights from past gen.

That's mostly people who didn't played the game, or trolls or people playing on easy/normal.

That bitch of a queen valkyria was a more satisfying boss fight than 90% of boss fights from past gen.
Yeah, I remember almost throwing my Dualshock 4 across the room fighting that valkyria queen.

GymWolf

Yeah, I remember almost throwing my Dualshock 4 across the room fighting that valkyria queen.
Too bad, you could have the excuse to buy a better controller otherwise.

Bitch had more different attacks than probably any boss i ever fought.

Last edited:

Elios83

They shared footage with Game Informer, the full footage should be shown off in a week or two whenever Sony has their big showcase.
Yeah things are moving at a marketing level.
Hopefully there is a proper showcase or at least a SoP dedicated to GoW in the next few weeks.
Details about combat improvements and verticality are really interesting.

Top Bottom