• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Consuming Is Out of Control

Calverz

Nah i missed out on the Dread amiibo, same as the Metroid Dread physical SE.

I just got Skyward Sword HD in the post there so might get an NFC "backup tag" (lol) on ebay for faster fast travelling, but I don't know if its really necessary.
And steam deck?

Scotty W

Gold Member
800px-Caduceus.svg.png

GeorgPrime

Banned
Anytime something special edition comes out whether it's Skyward Sword joycons, Monster Hunter Amiibos, etc. scalpers with bots who treat reselling as a full time job buy them all up and then sell them for several times their MSRP on auction sites. People complain, but buy them anyway. Limited Run Companies are releasing tiny file digital games in retail packages, do limited preorders and then overcharging for them. People are now overpaying for old cartridges (which were basically worthless in value not too long ago) they will never actually play because of "nostalgia". All of a sudden Pokemon cards are worth lots of money when most people threw those out years ago because no one wanted them after the Pokemon card fad was over.

My solution? Stop caring about this shit. I collect, but I'm not a "consumer" who sets up bots, wakes up in the middle of the night, camps at stores, overpays, etc. just to get a controller with a Zelda logo on it that you're just going to keep in the box. They will keep coming up with more special edition plastic stuff every single year and it's neverending. You won't use this stuff because you are too busy consuming.

These are not game collectors. These are game consumers. You are being taken advantage of by companies and resellers and are developing unhealthy habits similar to OCD. You don't need to purchase old cartridges to keep on a shelf that you're never going to play again to relieve your nostalgia.

If you want something cool and manage to get it, fine. But don't go crazy over it. If you miss it, you miss it. You're most likely just going to acquire it, forget about it and then move on to the next "rare" item that the company would easily mass produce if they chose to do so. None of these are essential items. You don't even need to buy new consoles at launch, it's fine to be patient until they are easy to find for MSRP in retail stores because most of them don't have good libraries for at least a year or more anyway.

It's just sad to see that collecting, once a cheap and fun hobby that only "lame outcasts" enjoyed has now been commercialized and made into what it is today. This is why gatekeeping sadly exists - once a hobby goes mainstream then normies are guaranteed to destroy anything good about it in the first place.

I have more respect for some dude in a basement who has a smaller collection of games that he actually has fun with than someone who spends thousands of dollars every month on whatever item is "limited" at the moment.

And iam sitting here just dont caring for that stuff.

Kuranghi

And steam deck?

Aye I've reserved a 256 model for me or if it turns out to be disappointing I'll give it to my niece so we can play steam games together through remote play and she can access my library via family sharing. I guess I'll have to censor that a bit probably come to think of it, maybe a few too many "scary"/bloody games in my library.

Gotta keep the sister and brother-in-law happy or I'll go from Cool Uncle™ to Cunt Uncle™ in a heartbeat.

Or just don't buy any of this landfill destined plastic tat rubbish that doesn't do anything, looks naff and will never be worth anything.

Stopped taking the op seriously at "I collect...".

Shifty1897

I don't think I've ever bought a special edition of a game. I guess I just don't see the point as I'm not a collector and regularly resell games as soon as I beat them.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
There is truth in that. Weak minded consumers are to blame for how these companies treat us all.

Kuranghi

Or just don't buy any of this landfill destined plastic tat rubbish that doesn't do anything, looks naff and will never be worth anything.

Stopped taking the op seriously at "I collect...".

You're laughing now but when you awaken in the afterlife and the giant rotating multi-faced robot-god judges you based on the amount of plastic you acrued throughout your life and assigns you a social role in the afterverse based purely on that:

JkoF5rk.jpeg

CeeJay

Fuck collecting cheaply made plastic toys (that includes discs and cartridges) that just gather dust. Since going all digital and having the ability to play the games I want to on both my console and PC with cloud saves that follow me has been a fantastic experience that makes it all about the games. The new Steam handheld looks like a great addition to that, adding a native mobile device instead of using xcloud streaming to a phone.

Top Bottom