• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller is the best. Was hesitant to get it for months and months but when I finally did get it last year, it turned out to be an amazingly well designed controller. Probably the second or third best controller ever made. It works perfect with Metroid Dread too

I love the Switch, but detest JoyCons for their lack of quality. You’re much better off playing with the official Pro Controller imo
I only have a couple complaints about it: The random "up" input when pressing left or right in the d-pad and the handlers not being more diagonal like the xbox and my other PC controller... other than that I LOVE it, the battery is just absurd, I even use to forgot it needs to get charged lol.

I want to use it on PC but my Bluetooth signal is too weak, a problem I've solved by pluging my PC controller with a cord but I want to use the Pro Controller instead :(

Do someone know if I can get a very good BT signal with a long range dongle or whatever? Does that even exist?

Cutty Flam

Banned
I only have a couple complaints about it: The random "up" input when pressing left or right in the d-pad
That's one thing it could have been better, its Dpad isn't as good as one like the Sega Genesis controller or the SNES original controller. The weight of the controller is basically perfect, it feels like a high quality controller. I never thought the Gamecube or Xbox 360 controller could be beat but I think the Switch Pro Controller wins with overall feel. With the Switch you sort of have to get creative with different controllers because the Pro Controller isn't ideal for all games. Like for Smash Bros Ultimate and Mario Party Superstars, my choice is the Power A Wireless Gamecube Controller (controller is not as tough nor as durable as an actual Gamecube controller though, be warned)

Idk about the Switch for PC issue but there is a 2.4 ghz 8bitdo controller that would probably work well for your PC. Never tried it, but it looks like it would be another high quality option if you can't manage to get the Switch Pro Controller to connect to the PC

Intoxicate

The 8BitDo options don't wake up the Switch. My favourite is still the original SN30 Pro (without handles) but I wish they would update it to have the improvements of the SN30 Pro + (dpad contacts/PCB back to SNES original layout, avoids over sensitive diagonals) or SN30 Pro 2 (ultimate software via smartphone). I also looked now into the GameSir T4 mini which can wake up the Switch and looks like a Pro Controller without the handles. Might be a good alternative for the SN30 Pro for traveling etc.

Kataploom

Gold Member
That's one thing it could have been better, its Dpad isn't as good as one like the Sega Genesis controller or the SNES original controller. The weight of the controller is basically perfect, it feels like a high quality controller. I never thought the Gamecube or Xbox 360 controller could be beat but I think the Switch Pro Controller wins with overall feel. With the Switch you sort of have to get creative with different controllers because the Pro Controller isn't ideal for all games. Like for Smash Bros Ultimate and Mario Party Superstars, my choice is the Power A Wireless Gamecube Controller (controller is not as tough nor as durable as an actual Gamecube controller though, be warned)

Idk about the Switch for PC issue but there is a 2.4 ghz 8bitdo controller that would probably work well for your PC. Never tried it, but it looks like it would be another high quality option if you can't manage to get the Switch Pro Controller to connect to the PC
I think it that case I'll just find an Xbox controller, but the GC controller for smash seems good, what I don't like is the brand, I had a PowerA Switch Pro Controller which left stick started failing with a weird "down" tick whenever I move it to any direction after a month from buying it, internet comments were basically the same than mine regarding that issue

Nintendo Switch Sofware is killing it and currently has 11 games in the top 50 best selling software on Nintendo hardware. This is already more than the Nintendo DS and Nintendo Wii.

nyYtgIr.png

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I think it that case I'll just find an Xbox controller, but the GC controller for smash seems good, what I don't like is the brand, I had a PowerA Switch Pro Controller which left stick started failing with a weird "down" tick whenever I move it to any direction after a month from buying it, internet comments were basically the same than mine regarding that issue
Yeah Power A has terrible wired controllers and their wireless controllers seem to be hit or miss as well, I had to get a controller replaced three times by them but when you get a good one they’re solid. I had to keep hounding their customer service for a while but they made it right. Hori controllers are probably the better bet

Cutty Flam

Banned
The dungeon design in The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening Remake is some of the best in the entire series

I had always seen that this game was highly praised, and some even put it in their top 3-5 Zelda games. Now I finally understand. Close to beating the game, and the final three or four dungeons in this game are a great challenge. Way more challenging than TWW, TP, and BOTW

The story, its characters and how everyone behaves and speaks to Link is interesting as well

Cutty Flam

Banned
Completed the game last night. I purposely didn’t save my file after defeating the final villain and watching the ending, credits because this game is the very first Zelda game to dare to be different. Like, it shook up everything in the formula while also being true to the foundation of what makes a Zelda game a Zelda game. Without this masterpiece, we probably would never had a Majora’s Mask, which would be the second Zelda game to really try something completely different and stray from the norm of what fans could expect to be playing w/ TLoZ

I’ll have to reflect and see where it now ranks on my list for favorite Zelda games, it’s something that came out of nowhere in 1993. Who would have thought that a little Game Boy game cartridge you pop into your Game Boy would rival if not best A Link to the Past on the SNES? I think it’s up there, or at least I for one enjoyed it more than ALttP

Intoxicate

I’ll have to reflect and see where it now ranks on my list for favorite Zelda games, it’s something that came out of nowhere in 1993. Who would have thought that a little Game Boy game cartridge you pop into your Game Boy would rival if not best A Link to the Past on the SNES? I think it’s up there, or at least I for one enjoyed it more than ALttP

For me the magic of ALttP always wears off when I enter the time portal or the dark zone. Links awakening is charming from start to end, especially now on Switch.

Intoxicate

Finally finished dread. My first Metroid game. What a ride.

The only Meteoidvania I finished without a guide was Yoku‘s Island Express. Awesome game if you like pinball games. Dread was great during exploring but disrupted by it‘s freaking difficult bosses. Felt like the HD version of Super Metroid + the repetitive E.M.M.I fights. I liked the graphics and how Samus moves but overall I get why Metroid isn’t mainstream.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Ok, so I'm playing Xenoblade 2 and has been a bang, 10 hours in first day lol.

One thing I'm noting is that it's way less serious than the first game, heck even cringy sometimes, but I'm ok with that, I prefer the more serious tone but I've enjoyed this focus so far :)

What I cannot stand is the fucking name changes in english... I mean, why didn't they just leave it as is in spanish subs? I'm finding lots of name changes waaaay too different from originals, I play with jap voices so at least in that version they could have put original names...

I mean... Poppy? WTF? "Hana" doesn't sound bad in english or any european language.

Drockbhaydmark (or whatever they call Byakko, the Nio tiger)??

Please Nintendo, don't let the same people touch next localizations, these games have a specific niche anyway, most people buying them will be famirialized with anime or other jrpgs.

Other than that, I've had a pretty good experience, I think it still falls behind the first game but come on, it only have to be half as good to be a way average game in my book (and it actually is :D)

Edit: Oh, and other than resolution it looks like a full 8th gen game... Materials and lighting are so good in this game that for me that I just fell into account moments after started playing, I've been playing on PC mostly these weeks and noticed the framerate and resolution and started to think about it lol

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Mario Party Superstars is still a lot of fun almost a month later with no signs of me stopping anytime soon. I'm working on mastering all of the boards, but I feel like three of the five boards I have a great feel for (w/ All Bonus) and am becoming a little bit more proficient with the minigames. They're challenging though

Cutty Flam

Banned

They should bring this game back and put it on the NSO for Sega Genesis. I only remember the tomatoes on school picture day, and vaguely when Bart Simpson becomes a pig. There was also one level where Maggie is using the telephone pole wires at some point through the neighborhood. Or maybe that was a different one but I do remember those three levels. The water slide kind of looks familiar too, fun game. There was something about those early Simpsons games, always looked like a lot of fun to play. They used to have a few at the local Pizza Hut in the late 90s, some arcade Simpsons games

Astral Dog

Some people are getting really desperate to find that Switch killer it seems, they don't get its not just about power but offering the proper ecosystem and branding to sell those $60 portable games, combined with first party offerings that make a truly great system, but we shall see where those switch killers go

PuffyCan

Just got a switch, any exclusive I should absolutely have? Downloaded captain toad and snipperclips to play in coop, and ordered persona 5 strikers. I will surely get Mario galaxy odyssey and Zelda botw next. oh, and maybe hyrule warriors, I'm liking the demo so far.

Edit: meant Mario odyssey, not galaxy

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Just got a switch, any exclusive I should absolutly have? Downloaded captain toad and snipperclips to play in coop, and ordered persona 5 strikers. I will surely get mario galaxy and zelda botw next. oh, and maybe hyrule warriors, I'm liking the demo so far.
Fire Emblem Three Houses, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Metroid Dread might be good pick-ups (Dread has a demo)

Shin Megami Tensei V might also be good if you're familiar with Persona.

If you like party games Super Mario Party and/or Mario Party Superstars is a good pick-up.

PuffyCan

Fire Emblem Three Houses, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Metroid Dread might be good pick-ups (Dread has a demo)

Shin Megami Tensei V might also be good if you're familiar with Persona.

If you like party games Super Mario Party and/or Mario Party Superstars is a good pick-up.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Will definitely look into Shin Megami Tensei V if I like Persona, never played any Persona before and even if I would have preferred Royal, striker will do for now.

Not really a fan of party game, fire emblem, Luigi`s Mansion and Metroid Dread looks like some good choices though.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Just got a switch, any exclusive I should absolutly have? Downloaded captain toad and snipperclips to play in coop, and ordered persona 5 strikers. I will surely get mario galaxy and zelda botw next. oh, and maybe hyrule warriors, I'm liking the demo so far.
Here's my list of must play exclusives that I've played, and then the games that I think are must plays based off what I've seen from researching and word of mouth:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Luigi's Mansion 3, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Remake), Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars, Super Mario 3D All-Stars ///// Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Shin Megami Tensei V, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition

And some games I would strongly recommend, but would not say are necessarily "must play" exclusives to the Nintendo Switch. These are highly enjoyable games in their own ways:

Yoshi's Crafted World, Paper Mario: The Origami King, Cadence of Hyrule, Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Games I am looking forward to playing on the Nintendo Switch eventually:

Final Fantasy X | X-2, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl, Pokemon Sword / Shield, Pokemon, Pikmim 3 Deluxe, Eastward, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Mario + rabbids Kingdom Battle, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country, Kirby Star Allies, Cruise'n Blast, Shin Megami Tensei V, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, Dragon Quest XI S, Bug Fables, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Final Fantasy VIII, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Castlevania Advance Collection, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Dark Souls Remastered, Astral Chain, Monster Hunter Rise, Super Mario Bros. 3, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Octopath Traveler, Cuphead, Bravely Default 2, The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Breath of Fire, Breath of Fire II, Star Fox, Star Fox 2, Wild Guns, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!, All N64 games on NSO, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Castlevania: Bloodlines, One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 Deluxe Edition, One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4, Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest II, Dragon Quest III, Dragon Quest X, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, plus several other dozens games I'm forgetting

And then there are several that are coming out eventually in 2022. Here's a pic of games that released over the last several months and the games to come. Advanced Wars 1 + 2 was delayed until Spring '22 btw

Switch-Holiday-Releases.png

direct.900x.jpg

which-nintendo-64-games-are-coming-to-nintendo-switch-online-expansion-pack.png

Cutty Flam

Banned
Nostalgia just hit me like a brick when I clicked to see this and hear some of the game's songs. If Nintendo brings this game to the NSO subscription on the Sega Genesis, that's gonna be a fun day. Despite trying like 50-100 times, I was never able to get further than the first levels. I never got to the lava based levels, but the first boss looks familiar so I might've completed those water based lvls

Ok, so I'm playing Xenoblade 2 and has been a bang, 10 hours in first day lol.

One thing I'm noting is that it's way less serious than the first game, heck even cringy sometimes, but I'm ok with that, I prefer the more serious tone but I've enjoyed this focus so far :)

What I cannot stand is the fucking name changes in english... I mean, why didn't they just leave it as is in spanish subs? I'm finding lots of name changes waaaay too different from originals, I play with jap voices so at least in that version they could have put original names...

I mean... Poppy? WTF? "Hana" doesn't sound bad in english or any european language.

Drockbhaydmark (or whatever they call Byakko, the Nio tiger)??

Please Nintendo, don't let the same people touch next localizations, these games have a specific niche anyway, most people buying them will be famirialized with anime or other jrpgs.

Other than that, I've had a pretty good experience, I think it still falls behind the first game but come on, it only have to be half as good to be a way average game in my book (and it actually is :D)

Edit: Oh, and other than resolution it looks like a full 8th gen game... Materials and lighting are so good in this game that for me that I just fell into account moments after started playing, I've been playing on PC mostly these weeks and noticed the framerate and resolution and started to think about it lol

Is it true the Xenoblade games are rough in handheld mode on Switch? I’ve been meaning to play them but I’ll be traveling around the holidays and probably in handheld mode the majority of the time I am able to play.

Shaqazooloo

Is it true the Xenoblade games are rough in handheld mode on Switch? I’ve been meaning to play them but I’ll be traveling around the holidays and probably in handheld mode the majority of the time I am able to play.
I think resolution dips to 480p or something. I'm not one to notice those things but I guess to people that are sensitive to it handheld might be a rough time.

Kataploom

Gold Member
IDK, I rarely play on handheld if ever... I haven't tried Xenoblade, but in docked it seems solid most of the times with some drops in fps here and there that won't matter much since the game pacing is slowpoke

Mr Hyde

I played a large portion of XC2 in handheld and it was perfectly playable. Don't understand the fuzz about it. Or I just don't notice it or care about it 🤷

Andyliini

Sea of Stars caught my attention, especially as it's from the makers of The Messenger. I only wished developers would pay homage to other 16-bit RPG's but it's always Chrono Trigger. It could be Actraiser, 7th Saga, Soul Blazer, Dragon Quest V or Final Fantasy VI, but it seems like developers never acknowledge those games.

I'm also predicting there will be a Pokemon Presents in January to promote Archeus, then full Nintendo Direct in February and the next Indie World in March. Well, that one could slip to April.

Shaqazooloo

Nintendo minute had its last episode:

Never watched it myself but it's unfortunate to see it go. Maybe Nintendo replaces it with something else in the future.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
1. Amazon US is currently accepting orders for both color schemes of the OLED model, to be delivered December 29 - 31.

2. I have never played a Pokemon game. I just never hopped on board that train. Would any of the Switch games be a good hopping on point? And if so, which one? I can't tell which games are considered mainline or whatever, and which ones are spin offs.

Big indie sale on Switch now. Tons of titles that were on my wish list. FFX / X-2 is 50% off also. Some Saints Row game is like $2 (wtf).

Also, Loop Hero is a very bizarre game but I think it's fun.

bender

What time is it?
Also, Loop Hero is a very bizarre game but I think it's fun.

Looks like this will be free on EGS tomorrow.

I picked it up a few months back on EGS using a $10 coupon. It's an interesting concept but I fell off of it pretty quickly. I don't think I understood the base building portion of the game.

Shaqazooloo

1. Amazon US is currently accepting orders for both color schemes of the OLED model, to be delivered December 29 - 31.

2. I have never played a Pokemon game. I just never hopped on board that train. Would any of the Switch games be a good hopping on point? And if so, which one? I can't tell which games are considered mainline or whatever, and which ones are spin offs.
Either Sword/Shield or Diamond/Pearl are good. Honestly it doesn't really matter since the games are pretty easy and the lore explained within the games is just tied to the cover pokemon.

I think Sword/Shield would be a better pick since it does a good enough job of telling players about the more hidden mechanics of the games allowing for more casual players to get a hang of team building for online play, but if you want a more classic style, Diamond and Pearl wouldn't be a bad pick either.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Either Sword/Shield or Diamond/Pearl are good. Honestly it doesn't really matter since the games are pretty easy and the lore explained within the games is just tied to the cover pokemon.

I think Sword/Shield would be a better pick since it does a good enough job of telling players about the more hidden mechanics of the games allowing for more casual players to get a hang of team building for online play, but if you want a more classic style, Diamond and Pearl wouldn't be a bad pick either.

Thanks man, downloading sword now.

Mr Hyde

Bought Saints Row 4 for like two bucks. Never seen a game of that size be so cheap. Often it's just shovelware that goes on sale like that. Couldn't resist buying Night Trap either, always wanted to play it, due to all the controversy surrounding it upon release, but never wanted to pay full price (due to it probably being garbage).

Cutty Flam

Banned
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is on sale for $11.99 right now on the Nintendo Switch’s eshop…I might have to pull the trigger on that, or maybe the first Dragon Quest game…or maybe DQIII

There’s actually a lot of cool games on sale right now for eShop. Damn…Cel Damage is on sale for $1.99 lol I remember when we bought that game new for for $54 on the Nintendo Gamecube

Great sale though. Final Fantasy games, Resident Evil games, Dragon Quest games, Mega Man games, probably the craziest lot of games I’ve seen yet and most are all on sale for considerably low prices

bender

What time is it?
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is on sale for $11.99 right now on the Nintendo Switch’s eshop…I might have to pull the trigger on that, or maybe the first Dragon Quest game…or maybe DQIII

There’s actually a lot of cool games on sale right now for eShop. Damn…Cel Damage is on sale for $1.99 lol I remember when we bought that game new for for $54 on the Nintendo Gamecube

Great sale though. Final Fantasy games, Resident Evil games, Dragon Quest games, Mega Man games, probably the craziest lot of games I’ve seen yet and most are all on sale for considerably low prices

The DLC in Crystal Chronicles is insane.

Top Bottom