• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Cutty Flam

Banned
Super Mario 64 = Michael Jordan, Super Mario Sunshine = Scottie Pippen

That analogy pretty much sums up my thoughts. Both games are some of the greatest we’ve ever seen Mario in, and I think Super Mario Sunshine is enormously underrated in many ways

Shaqazooloo

Theirs quite a few levels in Sunshine that make it a little unbearable for me. Most of the game is excellent but then you have odd physics and the pachinko level etc that make you wonder what they were thinking.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Every time I pick up Sunshine it's the same: the first few hours I am reminded of the fun I had in my youth again, the game seems great. Then I get to those shitty levels and remember why I only ever played through it once, as a kid.

I'm torn between buying Skyward Sword or Persona 5 Strikers. I'm going through BOTW for the second time now, so I think I'm good on the Zelda part. But for some reason the game still calls to me.

Persona 5 Strikers looks super fun and i love the artstyle. Fuck meeeeee

Shaqazooloo

I'm torn between buying Skyward Sword or Persona 5 Strikers. I'm going through BOTW for the second time now, so I think I'm good on the Zelda part. But for some reason the game still calls to me.

Persona 5 Strikers looks super fun and i love the artstyle. Fuck meeeeee
P5S is probably the safe bet, although Skyward Sword and BotW are completely different games so I don't think it'd be a bad chose either.

Pantz

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Mr Hyde

I've decided to upgrade to the new OLED model. At first I was a bit hesitant due to the price but I've now had some time to think it over and I feel this is the right time to enhance my Switch experience. I have the original launch model, which I bought in August 2018. I considered upgrading when the new battery improved RED model was introduced but I ultimately held off on that because I didn't really think it was necessary to buy it in the end. Anyway, here is why I want the new model.

* OLED screen - self explanatory. Bigger and better, with higher contrast and richer colors. I play 80 procent in handheld mode so this new screen is actually the main reason for the upgrade.

* Improved battery life - As I wrote before, I have the original launch unit, and the battery life is pretty weak. I've circumvented this thanks to a neat carrying case I bought which has a built in power bank, improving the battery with 3-4 hours. Now it will be even greater with longer sessions of playtime.

* Color scheme - I love the new black and white colors because it will be a perfect match for my PS5, further adding to Switch being a great companion piece. Minor detail perhaps, but I like it when things match and it will look very good on my entertainment setup.

* Bigger storage - 64 gig is not much but it is hell of a lot better than 32. Upping the storage is necessary at this point since my microSD card is beginning to get full.

Besides these QoL features I also look forward to the new kickstand and enhanced audio. The new LAN connection on the dock is whatever because I never play online with the Switch. I would much rather have proper Bluetooth connection for headphones.

I know there has been some controversy around this new model not upgrading the hardware tech but honestly I don't really give a shit about a Switch PRO model. I use my Switch for Nintendo exclusives, indie games and retro games and the Switch is more than capable of pulling those off to great effect. For AAA blockbuster and third party I have a PS5 that plays way better than Switch in docked mode so for me, this new OLED looks really sexy, considering I use it almost exclusively in handheld mode.

If I could, I would buy the Switch OLED as I play a lot of times in bed, so it would be pretty awesome for me. To me, the Switch doesn't need a pro version now, as the games run well enough to have fun. I'm tired of chasing the best graphics and all that bs. I bought the Switch for different experiences, and it's exactly what's giving me.

Yesterday I decided to change the voice language on Xenoblade Chronicles DE to Japanese, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Makes the cutscenes and voice acting waaaaay more bereable, especially Rikki and Reyn. The english dubs are fucking horrible and a snooze fest.

bender

What time is it?
Super Mario 64 = Michael Jordan, Super Mario Sunshine = Scottie Pippen

That analogy pretty much sums up my thoughts. Both games are some of the greatest we’ve ever seen Mario in, and I think Super Mario Sunshine is enormously underrated in many ways

As someone who only recently spent time with both, I do think Sunshine takes an undeserved beating. Galaxy and Galaxy II are still better than both.

I just recently got my Nintendo Switch and I'm liking it so far. I've been playing Mario Kart 8 and Mario party like crazy(Two games I haven't played since the N64 days).

The only problem I have with the Switch is the Joy Cons. I have never played with a controller that hurt my thumbs like the Joy Cons do. How good is the Switch Pro controller? Is it worth the price?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Switch Pro Controller is like a top 3 controller all time. Near perfect feel while holding it, Analog Sticks are the best I’ve ever used, sleek design, the movement or motion controls used for BOTW work as good as the JoyCons, Triggers are excellent. I’d put it right behind the Gamecube or Wavebird in terms of overall greatness. But for SSBU I only use a Gamecube Controller, that’s the only downside to Seitch Pro Controller imo; it can’t match a Gamecube Controller when playing SSBU
As someone who only recently spent time with both, I do think Sunshine takes an undeserved beating. Galaxy and Galaxy II are still better than both.
Super Mario Galaxy is a magical game. Truly the Wii at its peak with that game

Super Mario Sunshine is the most delightful game on the Gamecube for me. The sunny vacation on a tropical island theme is way up there for me. I’m probably one of the game’s biggest supporters because I believe Nintendo created the challenge of a lifetime with Super Mario Sunshine. Super Mario 64 might have had the ideal difficulty levels, star for star, but I will always commend Super Mario Sunshine for 1up-ing even Super Mario 64 and taking the challenge of completing tasks to their limits. Some of those shine sprites had me slamming the Wavebird into my quad in a fit of rage and frustration lol. I miss that aspect of gaming, things are way too easy in games now

I still want to give Super Mario Galaxy 2 another go, this time going for all the luigi stars. Regular stars weren’t stimulating enough imo, but maybe the green ones are why SMG2 has earned all the respect of so many. I personally think that SMG2 and SMO are kind of overrated

SM64 > Super Mario Sunshine >> Super Mario Galaxy >>> Super Mario Odyssey >>>>> Super Mario Galaxy 2

Switch Pro Controller is like a top 3 controller all time. Near perfect feel while holding it, Analog Sticks are the best I’ve ever used, sleek design, the movement or motion controls used for BOTW work as good as the JoyCons, Triggers are excellent. I’d put it right behind the Gamecube or Wavebird in terms of overall greatness. But for SSBU I only use a Gamecube Controller, that’s the only downside to Seitch Pro Controller imo; it can’t match a Gamecube Controller when playing SSBU

Super Mario Galaxy is a magical game. Truly the Wii at its peak with that game

Super Mario Sunshine is the most delightful game on the Gamecube for me. The sunny vacation on a tropical island theme is way up there for me. I’m probably one of the game’s biggest supporters because I believe Nintendo created the challenge of a lifetime with Super Mario Sunshine. Super Mario 64 might have had the ideal difficulty levels, star for star, but I will always commend Super Mario Sunshine for 1up-ing even Super Mario 64 and taking the challenge of completing tasks to their limits. Some of those shine sprites had me slamming the Wavebird into my quad in a fit of rage and frustration lol. I miss that aspect of gaming, things are way too easy in games now

I still want to give Super Mario Galaxy 2 another go, this time going for all the luigi stars. Regular stars weren’t stimulating enough imo, but maybe the green ones are why SMG2 has earned all the respect of so many. I personally think that SMG2 and SMO are kind of overrated

SM64 > Super Mario Sunshine >> Super Mario Galaxy >>> Super Mario Odyssey >>>>> Super Mario Galaxy 2
I was trying to decide on whether to get Mario Odyssey or that pack that comes with Mario 64, Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy. The only Mario game I've played is Mario 64.

bender

What time is it?

I've actually been playing more Odyssey the last few days. I was a bit lukewarm when it launched but the camera and controls are so damned good. I do think having a billion moons to collect is probably the wrong direction as most of them are trivial but I think it would rank right behind the Galaxy games for me.

Impotaku

The mario kart live home circuit seems to have delightfully price crashed in japan, found out amazon japan are selling the mario & luigi sets at like £28 each so both cost less than a single one here in the UK, at that price i couldn't say no to picking them both up. Crazy how they dropped so fast but i'm guessing in japan nobody has the room to use them so less demand. Bonus for me though, why yes i'll gladly order one of each lol
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/pro...ZCR5L63D&psc=1

Cutty Flam

Banned
I was trying to decide on whether to get Mario Odyssey or that pack that comes with Mario 64, Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy. The only Mario game I've played is Mario 64.
Tough call…Since you’ve experienced the best w/ Super Mario 64 you could probably go either way and have a lot of fun. Odyssey is a little bit of everything in its adventure and story. And it’s an excellent homage to all things Mario, but I think the Super Mario 3D All-Stars game is the better choice, because the games are more straight forward and better designed. Super Mario Odyssey is kind of like BOTW in a way, you can have a totally different experience from anyone else playing. It’s almost like you need to know a decent bit of what you’re going into to get the most out of your experience while playing

Super Mario Odyssey is going to last you easily a hundred hours if want to collect all the Moons. If someone hasn’t told you already, you can find and earn a Moon for just about everything Mario does; ao you have to be very creative. The entire game is like similar portions of these three genres: hide-and-seek and exploration type feel as well as, collect-a-thon plus the formula of Super Mario 64. Those three things make up the gameplay of Super Mario Odyssey imo. For someone like me who loves to try to 100% the Mario games, this one is a marathon for sure. You might want to pace yourself to avoid burn out cuz I made the mistake of thinking I could dominate this game in a month and man was I mistaken. The game is so extensive that you probably want to give yourself several months, half a year or maybe longer to get close to fully completing it; there is a ton of of content in this game

With Summer being here and a lot of Space activity going on in the world you can’t go wrong playing Sunshine and Galaxy rn. Odyssey is a massive endeavor, and personally I consider it lighter than the others. The hardcore gameplay and traditional platformer type games you will find with 3D All-Stars. A lighter version of that, which also pays homage to Mario everything can be found in Super Mario Odyssey

Tough call…Since you’ve experienced the best w/ Super Mario 64 you could probably go either way and have a lot of fun. Odyssey is a little bit of everything in its adventure and story. And it’s an excellent homage to all things Mario, but I think the Super Mario 3D All-Stars game is the better choice, because the games are more straight forward and better designed. Super Mario Odyssey is kind of like BOTW in a way, you can have a totally different experience from anyone else playing. It’s almost like you need to know a decent bit of what you’re going into to get the most out of your experience while playing

Super Mario Odyssey is going to last you easily a hundred hours if want to collect all the Moons. If someone hasn’t told you already, you can find and earn a Moon for just about everything Mario does; ao you have to be very creative. The entire game is like similar portions of these three genres: hide-and-seek and exploration type feel as well as, collect-a-thon plus the formula of Super Mario 64. Those three things make up the gameplay of Super Mario Odyssey imo. For someone like me who loves to try to 100% the Mario games, this one is a marathon for sure. You might want to pace yourself to avoid burn out cuz I made the mistake of thinking I could dominate this game in a month and man was I mistaken. The game is so extensive that you probably want to give yourself several months, half a year or maybe longer to get close to fully completing it; there is a ton of of content in this game

With Summer being here and a lot of Space activity going on in the world you can’t go wrong playing Sunshine and Galaxy rn. Odyssey is a massive endeavor, and personally I consider it lighter than the others. The hardcore gameplay and traditional platformer type games you will find with 3D All-Stars. A lighter version of that, which also pays homage to Mario everything can be found in Super Mario Odyssey
I think I'll go with 3D all stars just because I haven't played a Mario game in a long time. Odyssey sounds daunting.

Shaqazooloo

I just recently got my Nintendo Switch and I'm liking it so far. I've been playing Mario Kart 8 and Mario party like crazy(Two games I haven't played since the N64 days).

The only problem I have with the Switch is the Joy Cons. I have never played with a controller that hurt my thumbs like the Joy Cons do. How good is the Switch Pro controller? Is it worth the price?
The pro controller is very comfortable and worth it. Theirs also the binbok Joycons, which is what I currently use, they're a good replacement for the og Joycons

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Watched John Linnemans Digital Foundry review of Skyward Sword hd. It made me think about a potential purchase of the game. I have never played it, since I skipped the whole Wii-motion control era by Nintendo and I didn't wanna buy it for Switch either since I thought it was just a simple remaster and Nintendo pushing full price was not justified.

But it seems Nintendo has put some serious effort into the game with lots of QoL features and updated graphics and frame rate boost. It felt almost like a Xenoblade Chronicles treatment where it's not quite a full blown remake but not a simple port either. I'm feeling quite positive about this game after the review, especially since I've not yet played it and am big Zelda-fan.

Last edited:

Intoxicate

I had no intention to buy Skyward Sword, but the QoL improvements also did tease me. It’ my first Zelda after Links Awakening, Link to the past and BotW. It’s a good game, Controls are still a bit non intuitive, but I like it.

Man, I was enjoying XBCDE. This is my second try at the game, and I was loving it... but everytime I get to Sword Valley, right before Galahad Fortress I lose interest. The Mechon there are a few levels above me, always in groups, it's a fucking chore to play every time I get to this place. The story was getting interesting but feels like, once again, I lost the will to continue. What a boring section of the game.

Andyliini

Man, I was enjoying XBCDE. This is my second try at the game, and I was loving it... but everytime I get to Sword Valley, right before Galahad Fortress I lose interest. The Mechon there are a few levels above me, always in groups, it's a fucking chore to play every time I get to this place. The story was getting interesting but feels like, once again, I lost the will to continue. What a boring section of the game.
Try playing on casual mode until you get past that area?

Shaqazooloo

Played Shantae and the Pirates Curse this past week. My first Shantae game and I was pleasantly surprised, I wasn't expecting it to be Metroidvania like game, the power-ups were good and by the time you get to the endgame Shantae's movement is quite crazy.

The dungeons and world were fun to run around in and find secrets, although their is no fast travel points so theirs a lot of backtracking through area's if you missed something. Much like Mighty Switch Force, the soundtrack is amazing at least imo, a lot of bangers in this one.

Characters and art were good, talking to the cast for the first time was nice and I think my favorite would be Rottytops or the Squid Baron.

I'm gonna play the rest of the games when I get the chance.

Cutty Flam

Banned
1200px-MP1_MarioRCmap.JPG

vs.

1200px-Yoshi%27sTropicalIsland.PNG

Yoshi's Tropical Island is probably the only other board from Mario Party that would be likely to be selected (if another MP1 board is chosen) into Mario Party Superstars

Some are mentioning Mario's Rainbow Castle, which could be an option as well, but personally, I do not see Nintendo choosing that board for a few reasons. One, it's a very linear map and we already have Peach's Birthday Cake for that. Second, players would need to actively avoid Bowser once someone buys the star fro Toad (they switch after each purchase) and that would put a lot of pressure and stress on players to purposely avoid high rolls, advancing forward, going near what is the destination nearly half of the time during the game. 50 Turns on Mario's Rainbow Castle would be very strenuous and I think NDcube is going to omit this board for that reason mainly. Third is that a few items would be sort of troublesome or maybe even out of the picture in this map. Can't use the skeleton key, the golden warp pipe brings them to the cloud every time maybe and this would be going to the start thereafter which could get repetitive. And the Chain Chomp Whistle would be kind of boring too because even if it does switch things from Bowser to Toad and vice versa, the Star doesn't move locations. So those are my thoughts on why Mario's Rainbow Castle is not likely getting in. But I do love the theme to this board and I do think Mario's Rainbow Castle has a good amount of potential with some changes. It's likely this board is passed up for a MP2 or MP3 board. But both Mario's Rainbow Castle and Yoshi's Tropical Island are the most likely candidates if another MP1 board is to become a part of Mario Party Superstars, the slight edge going to Yoshi's Tropical Island

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Looks like Dying Light is headed for the Switch. Platinum Edition with all DLC and extra content.

Another game also leaked by an online retailer and it was Darksiders 3, which makes the full franchise being available on Switch.

It is speculated that all these leaks are hinting at another Direct from Nintendo, maybe a new partnership video.

Andyliini

Nintendo's quarterly financial results briefing is held next week on August 5th. They will go trough sales from April 1st to June 30th 2021. What kind of results are you expecting? What do you think are the best selling games? How much has the Switch sold by now?

I have not been following Switch's hardware sales lately, but last quarter it was at 84,5 million. It could have passed PS3 by now.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Nintendo's quarterly financial results briefing is held next week on August 5th. They will go trough sales from April 1st to June 30th 2021. What kind of results are you expecting? What do you think are the best selling games? How much has the Switch sold by now?

I have not been following Switch's hardware sales lately, but last quarter it was at 84,5 million. It could have passed PS3 by now.

Best selling game I won't even try to guess. As much as I love Nintendo games I always guess wrong on how popular I think they're gonna be.

As to sold-through Switch units, Nintendo seems to be able to fabricate and sell about 5 million in between these figure releases, outside of obvious bumps like the holidays, so I say add 5 million to whatever the last figure was and that will be it.

Astral Dog

guys what do you think the chances are of Retro Studios unveiling a brand new game?

Nintendo giving Prime 4 to namco, keeps investing on Retro despite the 'gamming comunity' thinking all they did are cancelled projects since Tropical Freeze released, Nintendo just wouldn't burn money like that for 5+ wasted years not even for Retro. A couple bad years sure but im hoping they have something to show off soon, and its not Metroid. Its all very suspicious

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

guys what do you think the chances are of Retro Studios unveiling a brand new game?

Nintendo giving Prime 4 to namco, keeps investing on Retro despite the 'gamming comunity' thinking all they did are cancelled projects since Tropical Freeze released, Nintendo just wouldn't burn money like that for 5+ wasted years not even for Retro. A couple bad years sure but im hoping they have something to show off soon, and its not Metroid. Its all very suspicious
I mean Nintendo has canceled games that were in development hell before, look at Project HAMMER. That had apparently started development in 2003 and got canceled in 2009. Doubtful Retro shows something that isn't Prime 4 though if they were working on something they may return to it afterwards, right now they have their hands full with Metroid.

Astral Dog

I mean Nintendo has canceled games that were in development hell before, look at Project HAMMER. That had apparently started development in 2003 and got canceled in 2009. Doubtful Retro shows something that isn't Prime 4 though if they were working on something they may return to it afterwards, right now they have their hands full with Metroid.
i think they may surprise us with a shocking reveal, everybody takes for a fact Retro cancelled everything for Prime 4,but we don't even know what they were working on during 2017 that Nintendo felt was so important they gave a brand new team the Prime sequel instead of Retro.

Retro has been a very efficient studio since 2002, Nintendo keeps throwing money at it despite their supposed failure to deliver anything(not even a video) since 2014.

At least thats what i would like to believe 😃 (otherwise its all a big embarrassment for Nintendo, Retro and Namco 😳)

im hoping to see a new 3D Donkey Kong one day 🦍

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Im having problems with PayPal on the Eshop and idk what to do :^(

Been working fine for years but now it tells me, that i need to re link my account to PayPal because some info was changed, i tried that but it doesn't solve the problem, i tried to contact Nintendo, they didn't answer but a few days later i used PayPal to pay for Nintendo online and it worked.

Today i tried again and its no use, i checked that my card is working and everything. this sucks!

Cutty Flam

Banned
If a new 3D Donkey Kong is in the works, I would prefer Next Level Games working on it. Especially if they can work their animation magic similarly as they did for Luigi's Mansion 3.
I think the only thing missing from Luigi’s Mansion 3 was complexity. They should begin to double down on story and start adding more lore imo because those games are great. I can see them rivaling even a Mario game one day if they ever release within the same quarter and year

Cutty Flam

Banned
Im having problems with PayPal on the Eshop and idk what to do :^(

Been working fine for years but now it tells me, that i need to re link my account to PayPal because some info was changed, i tried that but it doesn't solve the problem, i tried to contact Nintendo, they didn't answer but a few days later i used PayPal to pay for Nintendo online and it worked.

Today i tried again and its no use, i checked that my card is working and everything. this sucks!
If you re-linked it already then it could be Nintendo is dealing with some kind of bug in their system possibly. Either way, I doubt Nintendo would allow the issue to persist for long because that would mean letting go of potential sales. If it’s Paypal or Nintendo the issue shouldn’t last much longer than a half a day I’d assume but you might want to very carefully double check all your info and make sure everything is correct and matches up with current billing info etc

Cutty Flam

Banned
The economy in LM3 felt pretty pointless.
True, which kinda sucks since it was so fun to collect all the cash and coins, jewels and such

Hopefully Luigi goes to like an amusement park resort next. That would be the logical step up from the luxury hotel in LM3

Mr Hyde

I've put in close to 30 hours now on The Witcher 3. It's an excellent port, maybe even the best yet that I've played so far on Switch. Saber and CDPR really knocked it out of the park with this. It looks amazing and runs very well. Even in docked mode it looks fine. It's really not that far off from PS4. But even so, it's in handheld that this game really shines. It's the best looking portable game ever and to have this on the go blows my mind. It was one of my favorite games of last gen.

Shaqazooloo

Been playing Skyward Sword the past few days. I like the game, the motion controls work well and combat is actually pretty difficult, however, I'm not a fan of the structure.

The game feels like a collection of levels rather than an actual world imo. The three areas and Skyloft are so separated from each other, you can't see how these areas are connected and the area's themselves just feel like an obstacle course to their respective Temples. I'm only just now getting to the third area so maybe that changes but so far it is my biggest complaint about the game.

Intoxicate

Skyward Sword is really a nice Zelda. I get why people didn’t like the controls but other than that, really nice.

Since the OLED Switch I’m a bit less excited of what to expect from Nintendo. I guess they will ride the Switch as long as possible without changing the formular. So I expect more Wii ports now (after the Wii U ports are done). 3rd party will give Variation and Nintendo putting some new version out (like Metroid Dread, Splatoon 3, BotW2, new Mario) but mainly rely on more ports.

Then when do I get a proper Wii Sport Ressorts and my Mario Strikkers? I’m still disappointed the went for the Worldwide Games instead of a proper Bowling etc.

bender

What time is it?
Started Skyward Sword today. It's really unappealing aesthetically, beyond Zelda all of the character models are ugly. I also really haven't used the Joy Cons as controllers since the Switch launch and it isn't a great experience. I was quickly reminded why I don't like motion controls. I might give the pro controller a shot in a while. I'm still early on but it just feels archaic. Music is amazing though.

Cutty Flam

Banned
DQ, DQII, and DQIII are all on sale right now and the three of them together can be purchased for like $15-16. Heard DQIII is outstanding

I might pull the trigger. Some say these games are what started it all for the JRPG genre

Shaqazooloo

So, I've been trying out the button controls in Skyward Sword, it's okay for handheld but I prefer the motion controls when I can, especially for aiming. Aiming with a Stick just feels bad to me now.

Also... I knew they had you revisit these areas a few times which upon hearing that, I was okay with, but they also have you revisit dungeons? I don't think I can get behind that...

Edit: So they made up for it with one of the best dungeon and boss fight in the entire series. I think that might've been a perfect fight for me. I can't imagine it being any better than it was.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Bought the 8 bit do USB adapter so that I could plug in the Dualsense and play with it on my Switch. I fell in love with DS instantly when I first tried it and decided to replace my Pro Controller. Feels good not to have a bunch of controllers laying around plus the Dualsense will match the upcoming OLED model too in color scheme, making every product I have work in total symbiosis. Gonna have a perfect setup now going forward with Switch and PS5, covering all bases, from handheld to stationary and the sort of games I prefer.

Last edited:

Intoxicate

Bought the 8 bit do USB adapter so that I could plug in the Dualsense and play with it on my Switch.
Isn’t it cumbersome to resync the Dualsense everytime you switch between the different consoles? That’s the big advantage of the SN30 Pro, 4 Profiles for Switch, PC, Android etc and you desire when you power on to what it connects. No resync needed.

Top Bottom