• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Mr Hyde

I bought the games on the UK store now. Managed to add my credit card and go through the purchases. I guess I have to go that route now. Very strange issue. I hope it gets resolved, but the internet store page was pretty good so I can buy there as well.

Andyliini

The Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary Stream is happening in a few days. Do you guys think they will announce something for Switch? I think it would be strange not to, considering Switch is the only truly viable platform in Japan currently and Dragon Quest is very Japan-centric. It could even be Dragon Quest XII.

Andyliini

How are the Dragon Quest games? The first three are like $5, $12, and $15, respectively (if I remember right) on Switch
Switch has the mobile ports of those games that have a strange art-style. DQIII looks the best, but only mildly better than the two. I imported the triple-pack from Asia when it was released, but haven't played them really yet outside of the first game. They are quite primitive JRPG's, but fun if you can ignore the simpliness and artstyle.

Woopah

The Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary Stream is happening in a few days. Do you guys think they will announce something for Switch? I think it would be strange not to, considering Switch is the only truly viable platform in Japan currently and Dragon Quest is very Japan-centric. It could even be Dragon Quest XII.
I'd be shocked if any game on that stream misses Switch. I think most will be Switch / PS4 but there's also a chance that DQ XII will be Switch exclusive if Nintendo pays for it to have a worldwide release.

MagnesG

Banned
I'd be shocked if any game on that stream misses Switch. I think most will be Switch / PS4 but there's also a chance that DQ XII will be Switch exclusive if Nintendo pays for it to have a worldwide release.
There's a possibility Sony could pay them as limited exclusive too.

Andyliini

Well, Nintendo just announced that SSBU will be celebrating franchises that turn 35 this year, and Dragon Quest is one of them. I don't usually believe in these kind of things, but it is a bit interesting that this celebration takes place around the same as Dragon Quest anniversary stream.

StormCell

Way earlier than I thought

Pokémon Legends: Arceus arrives 1/28/22!

Same. I had a lot of interest in this title presuming that it would be in production for longer than the usual Pokemon game. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but this is sounding a lot more like a BotW-lite with massive amounts of pop-in.

gtrwll

Which is better?

Xenoblade Chronicles
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

What are these games like? I have seen so many people put in like 300-550 hrs into one or the other

Depends on who you ask. I like 2 better, but there are many who like 1 more.

Both have a good story, MMO-esque battle mechanics and utterly fantastic soundtracks. Can’t go wrong with either.

Andyliini

Which is better?

Xenoblade Chronicles
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

What are these games like? I have seen so many people put in like 300-550 hrs into one or the other
I like 2 better, but 1 is also ace. They are JRPG's with combat that takes points from MMO-combat. The combat can get quite complex at times, but there are many guides online by now. The stories and characters are very likeable and really got attached to them by the end of the game. The stories are mostly self-contained, but you get more out of them if you play XC1 first. The Definitive Edition is the way to go now.

Cutty Flam

Banned
They seem great, but the games deal with Mechs a lot right? Robotic flying mechs? I never understood the appeal with any of that tbh, but I’ve also never tried a JRPG with them so maybe it’s worthwhile

Andyliini

They seem great, but the games deal with Mechs a lot right? Robotic flying mechs? I never understood the appeal with any of that tbh, but I’ve also never tried a JRPG with them so maybe it’s worthwhile
Only Wii U's Xenoblade Chronicles X has mechs in them, at least for you to control. I guess some enemies in the main games could be considered mechs, but I consider them more like robots.

Intoxicate

Which bluetooth adapter do you guys use so that you can play Switch with earbuds?

I have both the Genki from Human Things and the one from GuliKit. you can charge the Switch while using the Genki,

Humanthings-genki-1-1-1024x768.jpg

71mkxqWSmCL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Thanks for the recommendation Intoxicate Intoxicate

I’m considering and comparing the Gulikit adapter alongside with Homespot adapter for bluetooth. I can’t find a single review for the earbuds I’ll be using (Bose SoundSport Frees) so it’s all up to luck with the latency and all

Mr Hyde

I'm very excited for Nintendos E3 Direct. I really hope the Dark Souls 2 rumor is true. Would love a DS2 portable experience. And of course, I also want Wind Waker/Twilight Princess bundle, Xenoblade Chronicles X and a 2D Metroid. A new game from Monolith Soft too would be nice as well as new information about BotW 2. If all that happens I'm in 7th Heaven.

Shaqazooloo

Bought the Binbok Joy-Con controllers earlier in the week and they seem quite nice. They're pretty bulky but more comfortable to use, normally I would get hand cramps from playing one or two matches in Rivals of Aether in Handheld mode but that wasn't the case with these, also the buttons are in a better position for games and feel nicer. Using them wirelessly will take some time getting used to (I use them separately) but overall they give me a similar feeling to the Pro controller just in Joy-Con form. Wouldn't recommend for something like Super Mario Party though.

Spawn Wave has a review on it if you want to check it out:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I bought a Skull and Co. bluetooth adaptor for the Nintendo Switch to play games with earbuds but the lag is terrible with the earbuds I use (Bose SoundSport Free) which utilizes SBC and has a Latency of 0.20 Seconds. The best latency or lowest I should probably say is an earbud that utilizes aptX and has a Latency of 0.06 Seconds. Apparently Airpods are optimized for that exact Latency but 0.6 Seconds still seems like a lot of delay

I’ll probably look into a standard pair of headphones with a jack instead of putting up with the horrible delay that comes from using bluetooth bc the lag between actions and sounds makes everything unplayable. Need to look into it but I seriously doubt any delay would occur when using headphones with a jack w/ the Switch. The GBA worked fine back in the day so Switch should be okay

Impotaku

My taiko no tatsujin switch setup just got a huge upgrade today as i treat myself to the taikoforce level 5 arcade sized drum, as high quality as you can get for the home versions before you end up buying a full taiko no tatsujin arcade machine lol. Not cheap though, you pay for the quality, i could have bought a PS5 for the price this thing set me back.
SCIKBVL.jpg

For anyone curious to just how big it is, thats the official hori controller on the right lol
BEp4EZ7.jpg

Nautilus

Banned
Its that time of the year again! We are a few days away from E3. All the antecipation for gaming news, having games announced years ago being shown again, or seeing brand new games is just so enticing for me and many. So what better way to start this than predict what will be shown in the conferences?

- Monolith

We are BOUND to see something from them. We know that the development for a brand new game started in January of 2018, alongside the development for the remake of the first Xenoblade, so it has been 3 and a half years that the main team at Monolith has been hard at work.

Considering how fast they have developed XC 2, it would seem only fair to speculate that XC 3(or whatever their new project is) must be close to completion and it is certainly possible that it could launch this year. I'm really looking foward to this one.

- Zelda

While this is Zelda's 35th year anniversary, I am honestly not expecting them to announce the rumored Twillight Princess and Wind Waker (re)releases. Skyward Sword is soon comming out, so announcing two more games that serve the same purpose and that are more beloved will just get in the way of the marketing for Skyward Sword.

Having said that, I fully expect BOTW 2 to be there, in some shape or form. I am hopeful for a full blown reveal, but it is time, given that the game is probably already in development for 4 years, to have a proper reveal. It will be glorious, and the world will shed tears of Joy.

- Mario

Honestly, I don't expect a lot of Mario related games to be shown here, outside of the ones already announced, like Mario Golf: Super Rush. Last year was the celebration of Mario's 35th anniversary, we had a shit ton of mario games, and just earlier this year Nintendo release Mario 3D World. So I think Nintendo feels like they are good on that front for this year.

- Fire Emblem

We are due to some new FE game, but I feel like nintendo wont announce anything about it now, but rather will wait for the Setember/October direct to show the next FE game.

- Kirby

So yeah, this is another franchise that is due to get a new game. Hal has said that, after Star Allies has released, that Kirby has entered a new age, and it has been more than 3 years that the last mainline game was birthed into this world. So I feel like Kirby will show up in this E3, and the game will be in 3D...

But not "full" 3D. But rather, it will take the approach that Mario 3D World took. There will still be levels, and the levels themselves will be somewhat linear, but they will allow for Kirby and the player walk around in a 3D dimension, albeit a limited one. Like the devs of 3D World and 3D Land once said, they will try to use leverage their 2D expertise with the freedom that 3D gives. It wont be the jump that fans want the Kirby franchise to take, but it will enough to keep it fresh and interesting.

- Donkey Kong

Yes, I think its about time that DK gets some love again. DK is one of the most well recognized Nintendo franchises, and it still has a wide mass market appeal(gaming and outside of it) that Nintendo wants to nurture. Plus, given the recent signs of Nintendo wanting to branch out to other types of medium, and that DK might be the next IP that gets the Theme Park treatment, it makes sense for Nintendo to push a new game to "revitilize" the franchise.

Now, wether it will be 2D or 3D, I simply dont know. I loved Tropical Freeze, but I would also be really interesting to see how a 3D Donkey Kong game would play out today, with Nintendo putting everything they learned through the decades in it. So I guess we will see.

- Splatoon

We wont see Splatton 3 here, nor anything related to the franchise. The game is still a ways off, and given that we know nothing about Nintendo's lineup for the rest of the year outside of Skyward Sword, I feel like talking about Splatoon 3 now instead of in a direct in october or even early next year will just be a waste of time to market the games that need it now. So yeah, no Splatoon for now.

- Metroid

So, this one is a bit hard to predict. I feel like that its possible for Nintendo dhow footage of MP 4. Its been 2,5 years since it was rebooted, and I am one of those people that dont think they have thrown everything the previous developer has done, so I firmly believe that retro has reused enough assets/stuff from them that probably saved anywhere from 6 months to 1 year of development. So yeah, if nothing more has gone astray with the game, they should be at a point where they can show something.

Having said that, I honestly wouldnt put too much faith in it. Rather, it makes more sense to me that Nintendo will simply do one of the things that I am about to mention: 1) They will port Samus Return to the Switch, and add a few things to it. 2) They will announce a new 2D Metroid, be it a remake or a new entry.

I feel like the 2D Metroid will happen either way, and that there is a decent, but somewhat unlikely chance that MP 4 will appear there.

- Pikmin

Nothing Pikmin related will show up here. They were blindsided by Pikmin 3 Deluxe success, and while I do think Pikmin 4 is in development, it must be a project that must be of such low priority to Nintendo that they honestly didnt care about it until Pikmin 3 did well. So yeah, no Pikmin.

- Bayonetta 3

Honestly, what the fuck is going on with this game? Its about time Nintendo kicked Platinum in its balls and make them show us something, even if they dont even give the game a release windom. Honestly, this is beyond ridiculous at this point.

If they are still not ready to show anything Bayonetta related, the only other game I can see them showcasing is if that GG Project(their first big self-published game) is ready to be shown. Other than that, they probably only have Babylon Fall ready to go, and thats not a Switch game the last time I checked.

- Third Party

My biggest prediction here is that we will see MEGAMAN X9 FREAKING FINALLY!!! Not only the X Collection was sucessful ( I think that between both collections, they are almost at 2 million units sold), and MM 11 is at 1.3 million units, which makes it the third best selling megaman of all time. And its still selling!

So we are bound to get new megaman games from Capcom, and a new X game is the next mist logical step. It has been almost 3 years since MM 11 released, so we are bound to get more news.

I feel like we will also get a new RE Engine games. Given that Capcom has finally got the RE Engine running with MH Rise, and that they arent with cold feet anymore now that the Switch was proven a massive success, I feel like they will want to port anything and everything that the Switch can run.RE 7 and RE 2 Remake, DMC 5 and so on. Assuming it is possible to make them run on an acceptable level, of course.

Square should also have a game or two to show. I personally dont think Triangle Strategy will be mentioned here, though it is certainly possible, but I feel like the DQ 3 Remake will be brought up. Other than that, I believe they will have at least one new game to announce. What that is, I have no idea.

From Atlus we will finally see more of SMT V, and we will finally have a full blown coverage of that game, given that the game release date leaked and that it is slated to release this year. We will maybe get a few more things from them. I feel like 13 Sentinel is a no brainer, but given how Atlus is weird about the Switch with them not releasing one single bloody persona game on it, I would be skeptical.

We should get some Sgea love here too. If I had to guess, the primary console Sega is aiming for for their new Sonic game is the Switch, so the new Sonic showing up here wouldn't surprise me.

Shaqazooloo

I really hope the next Fire Emblem is a 2022 game, I still have quite a bit that I want to do in Three Houses and I'm not ready to spend another 700 hours on a new Fire Emblem.

I guess a new Xenoblade would be welcome, I wonder how it would look, the Torna DLC looked really nice and I imagine Monolith Soft has a higher budget now because of the increase of sales of the recent games.

I think BotW sequel is a 2022 game, I don't see it releasing until next holiday.

Honestly I'm pretty satisfied with the current line-up leading into next year, whatever is announced for the rest of this year is just a bonus for me.

gtrwll

I think it would be logical to hear something Xenoblade related from Monolith Soft. The buildup of Pyra/Mythra in Smash is still there so it would be a missed opportunity not to take advantage of it. Plus Yasunori Mitsuda was recording something recently with the same orchestra that he used for XC2, so aligned with the release of XC2 and the news back then, a Q4 release would be possible. But it could be just wishful thinking.

Intoxicate

I think E3 will not be exciting. They save the better surprises for the September Direct.
Earlier I was hoping for a new Mario Strikers, sWiitch Sports or a new 2D Mario, but now, Mario Golf is taking the sports game slot. I hope at least for some kind of surprise like Clubhouse Games last year (Motion Control

Let’s hope they aim for another 2017 in 2022 with Zelda BotW 2, Splatoon 3 and Odyssey 2.

And what will they do with the Mario 3D All Stars Emulators?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Given that Capcom has finally got the RE Engine running with MH Rise, and that they arent with cold feet anymore now that the Switch was proven a massive success, I feel like they will want to port anything and everything that the Switch can run.RE 7 and RE 2 Remake
It's so tempting to buy all the Resident Evil games on the Switch. I might go for it one of these days, but playing RE2 Remake and RE7 on the Switch handheld or docked would be a great experience

Hoping to see a 2D Metroid to be honest, and I bet F-Zero gets that 99 Treatment to troll fans.

Smash reveal is likely and honestly hoping it is either a Golden Sun Rep or a Sin & Punishment one.

I would love to see them try and localise Magical Vacation for the west should they have GBA games on the NSO at some point.

Shaqazooloo

Hit detection in Borderlands seems very bad, I line-up a perfect head shot at a distance with a Sniper and half the time enemies don't take damage from it, even at closer range seems some of my shots are ineffective for no reason. Meanwhile enemies across the map using rifles are getting quite a few shots on me. Feels like I have a massive handicap here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom