• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Have you been everywhere on the map? I love sharing secrets about Breath of the Wild.

Did you discover the fish shoals or find the place where Swift Violets grow in mass quantities (Best ingredient for speed potions so essential at the end for clearing up the map)? Or is there a weapon you love but you don't find it a lot in the world, I could give you a hint as to where to find it reliably.

If you haven't done all the snow parts yet here is a great timesaver for melting the big ice crystals: Everything that generates heat will increase the pace at which it melts, so putting all your fire weapons on the ground next to it will melt it rapidly.

Sorry if you aren't looking for hints, just tell me to stfu in that case, I get too excited ha.
Everytime that I play, I discover something new! I just started exploring the snowy lands (before Ryza 2 and Monster Hunter Rise).

This game is really something special.

StormCell

Everytime that I play, I discover something new! I just started exploring the snowy lands (before Ryza 2 and Monster Hunter Rise).

This game is really something special.
I really enjoyed my time in the Tabantha Highlands. Of course, by the time I arrived there I had already cleared everything but saving the princess, so in a way that region almost felt like some post-game content. I loved all of the snowy areas around the map, though. But this one stands out. Have fun!

Dunno guys but MH Rise is truly special.
Are there anymore obligatory rampages besides the first one? I’m kinda partial on those
Yes, but only in the Hub with Minoto (I do not know how is the name in the english version).

At first I disliked the rampages, very easy to be lost in the map, but later on, I started to enjoy it more.

Aldric

Been away for a while switch pro seems like it’s on it’s way I heard there’s been leaks anybody got any info?
Just Bloomberg's last article on the subject that reiterates a lot of the rumors that have been circulating for months: 720p OLED screen, new Nvidia SoC, 4K graphics thanks to DLSS, scheduled to release for Holidays 2021 with a slew of new games.

Woopah

Just Bloomberg's last article on the subject that reiterates a lot of the rumors that have been circulating for months: 720p OLED screen, new Nvidia SoC, 4K graphics thanks to DLSS, scheduled to release for Holidays 2021 with a slew of new games.
Should make E3 exciting. Don't think we'll see the hardware but I do think we'll see the software.

Andyliini

Yeah, I think E3 should have plenty of software to show, while hardware is shown later. I just hope Nintendo can do more treehouse streams this year, altough it ciuld be a bit more difficult now.

Woopah

They did try to do treehouse with Paper Mario last year but it wasn't very good. I do hope they have improved it for this year.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have decided today is the day to play Link's Awakening for the first time (remake). I took a few days off work so I am free to marathon it - can this be a one-session game or should I expect to space it out over the course of several days?

Cutty Flam

Banned
I have decided today is the day to play Link's Awakening for the first time (remake). I took a few days off work so I am free to marathon it - can this be a one-session game or should I expect to space it out over the course of several days?
In for answers, I’ve been thinking about playing TLoZ: Link’s Awakening as well. I’ve only tried it out way back on the Gameboy cartridge but it was just for about 5-10 minutes

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Thanks for the tips all. Doing it without a guide. I discovered the
color dungeon after I got the second or third musical instrument, went red
and am now plowing through the game. It feels like I am killing bosses faster than they're supposed to die. Heh.

Also Marin > Zelda

Woopah

Thanks for the tips all. Doing it without a guide. I discovered the
color dungeon after I got the second or third musical instrument, went red
and am now plowing through the game. It feels like I am killing bosses faster than they're supposed to die. Heh.

Also Marin > Zelda

Are you also doing the side quests or just the main game? Side quests can add a few hours to total playtime.

Shaqazooloo

Cutty Flam Cutty Flam Wow it actually happened, we got online Mario Party:

New online board game and minigames update for Super Mario Party

Patch Notes:
Ver. 1.1.0 (Released April 27, 2021)

Feature Added

You can now play the following modes over the internet:
Mario Party
Partner Party
Free Play (Minigames)

Important: To play over the internet, a subscription to the paid Nintendo Switch Online service is required.

Playing over the internet

To play over the internet, select either Mario Party, Partner Party, or Minigames, then select Online Play.
There are two ways to play over the internet: Friend Match, where you can play with Friends, and Private Game, where you can play with anyone using passwords.
The combinations through which you can play over the internet are as follows:
Up to 1 player per system (you can play with between 2 and 4 players)
Up to 2 players per system (you can play with between 3 and 4 players)

If two players are each playing on their own systems, they cannot play with two players using a third system.

Playing over the internet supports the Invite Friend feature. If you select Invite Friend on the screen at which you’re waiting for rivals, your selected Friends can join from the Online Play Invites on their user-page icon in the top left of the HOME Menu.
Online Mariothon does not support the Invite Friend feature.

When playing over the internet, all 20 characters and all maps are available, regardless of your current in-game progress.

When playing over the internet, 70 of the total 80 minigames are available to play.
The following 10 minigames are not available when playing over the internet.
Strike It Rich
Time to Shine
Take a Stab
All-Star Swingers
Rhythm and Bruise
Pep Rally
Wiped Out
Fiddler on the Hoof
Clearing the Table
Baton and On
Play data won’t be saved when playing over the internet.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Patch Notes:

Wow, that is a welcome surprise. I may buy this now when it hits the US version.

Edit: is there a thread for NintendoGAF sharing friend codes?

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned

Patch Notes:
Shocking news bro, I can hardly believe it. Going to play a game trmw and try it out. This is a huge step in the right direction

So you can only play with friends on your list though?

Edit: "Private Game, where you can play with anyone using passwords" but how can anyone know the password if they don't know you personally? Was that bit mistranslated?

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Friends or a room with a password to let anyone with that password join.
Hmm...this might be a bit problematic. By what was translated, I think this is the same way you would find a game on NES or SNES Online. You can only play online with friends on your friends list. Seems the same with Super Mario Party. Friends or that room where you have a password, which again, only people you are in contact with could ever know said password. So friends only, and you have to take a bunch of time to set it up

Or maybe its just mistranslated and the lobby is the same as SSBU's lobby where you can join with others, no password/password whichever you choose. Either way, I'll check it out and report back. This is exactly what I've been hoping for all this time. Even if it is friends only, I'll add 150+ Mario Party crazed friends to my friends list if that's what it takes to get games online lol

Shaqazooloo

Wow, that is a welcome surprise. I may buy this now when it hits the US version.

Edit: is there a thread for NintendoGAF sharing friend codes?
This thread never really went anywhere but here ya go.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This thread never really went anywhere but here ya go.

Damn. Yea, that died quick. Maybe we can start sharing and get it added to the OP or something then? Hell I guess everyone uses Discord for such things these days anyway.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This Miitopia demo is either really popular or my connection to Nintendo's servers just suck right now, because it keeps disconnecting, reconnecting, then telling me it's going to take hours to download. For contrast, I can usually download NIntendo's larger AAA games in about 5 to 6 minutes.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Managed to play a game of Super Mario Party online earlier today with randoms. Figured I'd test my luck and see how popular the game still is, this is how it went:

Went into the lobby and started messing around with different lobby passwords. You get 5 digits total to input but initially I chose to use only four and found a player or two waiting. I tried 1111 a handful of times, maybe five times total and found a person waiting about three times. Tried 11111 and found a good two to three players. Unfortunately all those times I got in it was either I got kicked or there was a legitimate error with the connection, one of the two. The game that went through, went with the old 12345 combo and found a Japanese player with a Baby Bowser avi. He chose Baby Bowser as his player, I chose the GOAT, another player chose Hammer Bro, and the fourth player was a computer. Bob-omb level for 10 turns. But the game disconnected into the 4th turn. Can't say why but my guess is that the host wasn't feeling it and turned his Switch off. Was a close game. Could have been an actual connection issue but there's no way to tell with Nintendo's online, it's always the the error with connection and that's that

I definitely think it's best to play with people who you know are going to be competitive and actually have a love and respect for the series. Otherwise, getting a game to last even just the minimum ten turns is going to be rough. Nintendo needs to figure something out with their online as a whole. Unless you intend to play with friends 100% of the way, the online experience is largely a frustrating waste of time tbh

Played minigames cup too, but it only let me play one cup all three times. I guess it's only one select cup you can play for each day

Edit: Played another session of Super Mario Party a few hours later in the day. Typed in the password: 1 and got matched up with another player from Japan I'm assuming, some chick with a username written in Japanese. Was fun and all ten turns were played. It was team based she picked Mario and I chose Luigi. The map was a variation of Kamek's Tantalizing Tower with coins everywhere. You could move in four different directions with each space. Pretty entertaining gametype, although it takes a slight bit more time to plan your route given all the options but I personally consider that a plus due to the tactics and strategy involved with each turn

Gotta say too, the minigames are very fun

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Managed to play a game of Super Mario Party online earlier today with randoms. Figured I'd test my luck and see how popular the game still is, this is how it went:

Went into the lobby and started messing around with different lobby passwords. You get 5 digits total to input but initially I chose to use only four and found a player or two waiting. I tried 1111 a handful of times, maybe five times total and found a person waiting about three times. Tried 11111 and found a good two to three players. Unfortunately all those times I got in it was either I got kicked or there was a legitimate error with the connection, one of the two. The game that went through, went with the old 12345 combo and found a Japanese player with a Baby Bowser avi. He chose Baby Bowser as his player, I chose the GOAT, another player chose Hammer Bro, and the fourth player was a computer. Bob-omb level for 10 turns. But the game disconnected into the 4th turn. Can't say why but my guess is that the host wasn't feeling it and turned his Switch off. Was a close game. Could have been an actual connection issue but there's no way to tell with Nintendo's online, it's always the the error with connection and that's that

I definitely think it's best to play with people who you know are going to be competitive and actually have a love and respect for the series. Otherwise, getting a game to last even just the minimum ten turns is going to be rough. Nintendo needs to figure something out with their online as a whole. Unless you intend to play with friends 100% of the way, the online experience is largely a frustrating waste of time tbh

Played minigames cup too, but it only let me play one cup all three times. I guess it's only one select cup you can play for each day

Edit: Played another session of Super Mario Party a few hours later in the day. Typed in the password: 1 and got matched up with another player from Japan I'm assuming, some chick with a username written in Japanese. Was fun and all ten turns were played. It was team based she picked Mario and I chose Luigi. The map was a variation of Kamek's Tantalizing Tower with coins everywhere. You could move in four different directions with each space. Pretty entertaining gametype, although it takes a slight bit more time to plan your route given all the options but I personally consider that a plus due to the tactics and strategy involved with each turn

Gotta say too, the minigames are very fun
They should've given Partner Party a battle royal version, because the more I've thought about it, the boards seem more suited for free movement than the traditional play style.

I can only assume that after they finished Star Rush they were going to make this game similar to it but changed their mind mid development and made it a side mode.

It's really fun to play and people are more open to that than the car mechanic.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo Super Mario Party is quickly rising up the ranks, it's a much better game than I had thought. I still remember bashing it ruthlessly like while discussing all the best games in the series with you, about a year ago or so ITT. With the (9) total Bonus Stars you must try to win and strategize your turns around, considering the probability with all the dice you can use (if you have allies) this is without question one of the more challenging Mario Party games. It's starting to remind me a lot of Mario Party 3 considering all the time I'm spending considering my options on the board, watching out for other players and weighing the odds of everything. Now I understand why so many people I've seen on the recently played list have like 40-160+ hrs played for this game. The online is allowing me to see this more and more. Even the fucking high fives can be strategic lmao. Refusing to give one might after a minigame might decide a game one day, seriously

I managed to play through a full 20 turn game (party of three online, one computer) and today I would have managed to play through another full 20 turns again but something kind of hilarious happened. We were a party of four, hosted by me. Very competitive, extremely. It was turn 17/20 and I made a HUGE fucking mistake that basically allowed the lead player (he was absolutely dominating, but this turn of mine would have leveled the playing field drastically) to secure a win. Player in first was a dude named "copium" who chose Boo. He had, 6 stars I believe it was, and had a Golden Warp Pipe to the star. I could have gotten the star, stolen one of his stars, and then in the next turn used my Golden Warp Pipe to get a third star. That would give me 5 stars, he would have 5 stars as well (6 eventually, at least after the use of his item) but I blew it 100% ...it was really bad. Instead, I used a Custom Dice Block, which would have only gotten me 6 spaces. I needed 7 for the star...As soon as I used the item one of the other two quit the game! And it took everyone out of the game I suspect, because me as the party leader / host even got the connection error and was booted out

I basically ruined all our chances for victory in the end with one mistake. I didn't know that the Custom Dice Block gets you 1-6 only, but instead thought that the allies still rolled lmfao. The dude playing Bowser or the dude playing Baby Bowser quit on the spot the instant I used that Custom Dice Block :lollipop_smirking:

Edit: What made this even more hilarious to me, is that the dude playing Bowser actually tried to get a message across to me right before my turn. He purposely went to view the board, pointed at my player, pointed at the star, pointed at the Lakitu. He did this three or so times for emphasis to get it through to me how important my turn was for all of us. He actually took a solid minute and a half strictly to let me know this. And I understood loud and clear what he was trying to say. But then of course I unknowingly picked an item that directly fucked every one of us (except Boo) in the end. Bowser was probably livid after seeing me fuck up like that. At the very least, he must have been in complete disbelief that I could have been that stupid lol

Last edited:

Andyliini

Some thoughts/facts from the latest Nintendo financial briefing:

- Since last update, Nintendo Switch has not outsold Game Boy Advance (81,5 million), PSP (80-82 million), and Xbox 360 (84 million) in official numbers. Next up is PS3 at 87,4 million. Considering how well Switch has been selling lately, it will catch up PS3 sooner rather than later. Most likely by next financial briefing.
- Pikmin 3 Deluxe is already the best selling Pikmin-title ever, by quite a margin, actually. This, and the mobile spin-off scheduled for later this year may finally give Pikmin 4 an actual release.
-Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is over 3 million by Nintendo, and less than million from Koei-Tecmo, so little less than 4 million worldwide. Best selling Musou-game ever, and it completely deserves it IMO.
- Paper Mario: The Origami King sales seem to have stalled, it only sold about 10 000 copies this quarter. It's a bit of shame, since I am playing it right now and I think it's the best Paper Mario game I have played. Sadly, it does not look like it will outsell Super Paper Mario.
- Clubhouse Games has sold more than 3 million this fiscal year. This, to me, is a surprise hit. Never thought it would sell 1 million, let alone 3.
- Link's Awakening is at 5,5 million. There definitely is still a market for 2D Zelda games. I'm sure Switch will get another one in few years.
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury has already almost outsold the Wii U version, only about 300 000 copies remain. This one will almost certainly reach 10 million at some point.
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars sold 9 million, and since it's no longer on sale, this will be the final number of it. Would have sold 10 if it wasn't discontinues, but it is what it is.
- Ring FIt Adventure has sold over 10 million copies and shows no signs of slowing down. The Wii Fit of current generation.
- Luigi's Mansion 3 is almost at 10 million, and will join the club soon. After it does, Switch has had more 10 million sellers than any other console ever.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons sold over 21 million copies in one fiscal year. I can't think of many other games that have achieved this feat.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe outsold both Final Fantasy VII Remake and Ghost of Tsushima this fiscal year.

So yeah, it seems like Switch is doing great, and doesn't appear to be slowing down. Here's hoping for more impressive sales the next quarter.

Woopah

Some thoughts/facts from the latest Nintendo financial briefing:

- Since last update, Nintendo Switch has not outsold Game Boy Advance (81,5 million), PSP (80-82 million), and Xbox 360 (84 million) in official numbers. Next up is PS3 at 87,4 million. Considering how well Switch has been selling lately, it will catch up PS3 sooner rather than later. Most likely by next financial briefing.
- Pikmin 3 Deluxe is already the best selling Pikmin-title ever, by quite a margin, actually. This, and the mobile spin-off scheduled for later this year may finally give Pikmin 4 an actual release.
-Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is over 3 million by Nintendo, and less than million from Koei-Tecmo, so little less than 4 million worldwide. Best selling Musou-game ever, and it completely deserves it IMO.
- Paper Mario: The Origami King sales seem to have stalled, it only sold about 10 000 copies this quarter. It's a bit of shame, since I am playing it right now and I think it's the best Paper Mario game I have played. Sadly, it does not look like it will outsell Super Paper Mario.
- Clubhouse Games has sold more than 3 million this fiscal year. This, to me, is a surprise hit. Never thought it would sell 1 million, let alone 3.
- Link's Awakening is at 5,5 million. There definitely is still a market for 2D Zelda games. I'm sure Switch will get another one in few years.
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury has already almost outsold the Wii U version, only about 300 000 copies remain. This one will almost certainly reach 10 million at some point.
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars sold 9 million, and since it's no longer on sale, this will be the final number of it. Would have sold 10 if it wasn't discontinues, but it is what it is.
- Ring FIt Adventure has sold over 10 million copies and shows no signs of slowing down. The Wii Fit of current generation.
- Luigi's Mansion 3 is almost at 10 million, and will join the club soon. After it does, Switch has had more 10 million sellers than any other console ever.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons sold over 21 million copies in one fiscal year. I can't think of many other games that have achieved this feat.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe outsold both Final Fantasy VII Remake and Ghost of Tsushima this fiscal year.

So yeah, it seems like Switch is doing great, and doesn't appear to be slowing down. Here's hoping for more impressive sales the next quarter.
Few additional points from my side
  • I think many of us expected Animal Crossing to overtake Mario Kart Deluxe and become the top selling Switch game. Doesn't look like that will happen now
  • Nintendo's original hardware forecast for this year was 19 million. It actually achieved 28.8 million
  • By the end this year Switch will outsell the Wii and by the end of 2022 it will pass the PS4. A strong chance it will pass the DS and PSP in the future too.
  • Nintendo had 22 games sell over a million in the last year, I can't think of any other publisher that could sell that much on consoles.
  • There were also 14 third party million sellers. We know some of them but I wish we knew all.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Cutty Flam Cutty Flam we still doing the Mario Party thing? Ideally I would like to play before 2pm tomorrow est
I’ll play a 15-20 turn later today. I’m going to try for a match right around 7pm Pacific Time. Ideally we would have two others from here join into the lobby, full party of four for 4-Player match. Most of the site is probably Resident Evil: Village right now, and there aren’t many here who still play Super Mario Party I think. That, and bender bender is terrified of his impending L so who knows if the match will finish, but I’ll play

If we have three, I’d maybe chance a random joining our party. There’s no guarantee that random wont quit in us and ruin all the time put into our match though...Nintendo’s servers have proven to me last night that even if one quits, one who isn’t the host, the game will still end for all of us in connection error. That’s what I’ve found

There’s no substitute for 4-Player Mario Party when everyone is competitive, that’s as good as it gets, but I’d be willing to start a game with 3-Player plus one CPU. Random map selection unless you have a preference

Skelterz

There’s an apparent leak saying Virtual console will make its return to switch.

To be honest I’d much prefer they up the price of the online sub, Include party chat and messaging and use the N64 & GCN games as a sweetener.

Not only would they make more money long term players like myself would prefer the standard amenities being more in line with other consoles.

Top Bottom