• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Cutty Flam

Banned
That's one of the most significant side quests in the game, but it's gated by needing to collect a lot of wood. It's been a while since I played BotW, but I remember that part being rather tedious.
I honestly don't even have a clue as to where the village can even be lol. Thought I had seen most of the major areas in the game by now, but somewhere that place is waiting to be found. It makes sense that there would be such a high demand of wood. At first I thought you were talking about the time when Link buys his own house in Hateno Village

Shaqazooloo

I honestly don't even have a clue as to where the village can even be lol. Thought I had seen most of the major areas in the game by now, but somewhere that place is waiting to be found. It makes sense that there would be such a high demand of wood. At first I thought you were talking about the time when Link buys his own house in Hateno Village
That is what he's talking about, the boss says that Hubson (?) is going to do work on some new land and then he leaves. The reason you can't find the village is because you haven't activated the side quest for it.

Andyliini

I anticipated an Indie World presentation for March, but it doesn't look like it's airing now. It is a bit strange, as one has arrived on March for a couple of years, but maybe it's just a few weeks late or something.

Huh, I just thought the thread had died. No idea it was moved until it was moved back. Huzzah!

I'm currently working my way, painstakingly, through the original Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. I've finished all Legend Mode quests and 100%-ed the first two Adventure Mode maps, on #3 now. Holy moley there's a lot of stuff to do. A completionist who did everything said it takes around 1000 hours. However, I'm not going to try getting all the fairy stuff unlocked or beating every challenge mode with every character. That's just silly. :messenger_winking:

Thats nuts.

I'm about 14 in. First MH game, love it. Tried the 4U, and World demos and didn't like them, but this game speaks to me.

The full game is way better than any of the demos. I don’t understand why Capcom can’t ever do a good job with the demo (or tutorials) for newbs, in most cases it just chases them away rather than creates interest.

I tried MHGU demo and bounced off hard before giving Word a shot and it still took 10 hours to go from hating it and feeling overwhelmed to enjoyment.

Astral Dog

the RISE Famitsu thread is full of salt 😳
im salty rooster teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Though idk what i expected from Monster BOMBA

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I went there once, but decided not to read any further. I did not see that much salt, just downplaying the Rise/Switch sales numbers for the week.

Is it selling well or not? I'm not personally interested in the game, but the sales numbers do.

It's selling great. 1.3 million at launch. Better than Animal Crossing as far as launch goes, but I doubt it will have the same legs (I'm not sure anything can).

Japan got around 50% of the 4 million shipped so chances are it may be a little supply constrained in the short term.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
No news on April 1

Would be a prime Nintendo move if they had announced something today.

Surprise Nintendo Direct on April 1st. Major announcements including hardware revision, then total radio silence for 6 months leaving everyone to question whether the announcements were real or an April Fools stunt.

Now you're all hoping that nothing is announced today.

Mr Branding

1. The platforming sections in Astral Chain are super lame. Thinking about it, I am very underwhelmed by the game as a whole. I tried to love it as character action is my jam but for every one thing it succeeds in there are two things that drag it down. Cool concept tho

2. So I’m craving a fps on Switch and saw both Bioshock Infinite and Juarez on sale. Which one should I pick up and is more worth it in the end?

Shaqazooloo

1. The platforming sections in Astral Chain are super lame. Thinking about it, I am very underwhelmed by the game as a whole. I tried to love it as character action is my jam but for every one thing it succeeds in there are two things that drag it down. Cool concept tho

2. So I’m craving a fps on Switch and saw both Bioshock Infinite and Juarez on sale. Which one should I pick up and is more worth it in the end?
I've only played Bioshock: Infinite, I thought it was fun enough and the story was really cool.

Astral Dog

Forget aboout those and get DOOM and DOOM Eternal would be my advice 💗

But, out of those i played Bioshock, the collection is regularly on sale and includes 3 pretty interesting super atmospheric fps games. And the ports are solid , can't go wrong with Bioshock.

Intoxicate

i was also very disappointed with Astral Chain. The idea is brilliant but the lame investigations and the complex way of controls didn’t connect with me. I think I would have needed more time to get better before I could enjoy the combat more.

Played BioShock 1 and Infinite. One flashed me, the setting is fascinating and disgusting at the same time. BioShock Infinite was a bit over the edge and pulling me less in.

i would pick either instead of call of Juarez (which I haven’t bought/played). But that’s from someone who’s favorite FPS are still Resident Evil 4 and the stealth sections in Call of Duty 4 🥳

Mr Branding

Combat is awesome but the controls are complex and I fumble because of this. Why have attacks on triggers when face buttons would have been better? Some of the button placements are questionable. Why does left dpad bring up that useless case log. Pressed it by accident so many times while trying to change the baton...

Then, they have all these ‘best of Platinum’ abilities but they are rarely used and hardly work as intended. I hate how the Beast legion controls when you ride it for example. Axe legion is useless. Also hate the sword legion MGR cutting implementation.

Game isn’t really suited for this runtime which is obvioulsy bloated. Should have been way shorter and less formulaic: briefing, investigation, small combat encounter, astral plane, repeat. It becomes predictable and in turn not fun.

Also, the game world has this low budget drab feel to it same as Nier A, maybe it’s a feature of their world building but there is something off about it. They could and should have done more with this setting. Maybe next time.

MagnesG

Banned
Combat is awesome but the controls are complex and I fumble because of this. Why have attacks on triggers when face buttons would have been better? Some of the button placements are questionable. Why does left dpad bring up that useless case log. Pressed it by accident so many times while trying to change the baton...

Then, they have all these ‘best of Platinum’ abilities but they are rarely used and hardly work as intended. I hate how the Beast legion controls when you ride it for example. Axe legion is useless. Also hate the sword legion MGR cutting implementation.

Game isn’t really suited for this runtime which is obvioulsy bloated. Should have been way shorter and less formulaic: briefing, investigation, small combat encounter, astral plane, repeat. It becomes predictable and in turn not fun.

Also, the game world has this low budget drab feel to it same as Nier A, maybe it’s a feature of their world building but there is something off about it. They could and should have done more with this setting. Maybe next time.
I myself also struggle on the controls at first, then it gets good, and I don't find using face buttons would've been better when you need both the trigger and shoulder buttons to execute combos parry etc. It's faster than using face buttons. Also, I don't have any problems with the Dpad controls.

I'm afraid I have to disagree that the abilities won't work as intended. I mean, have you seen how the pros work the cases on their speedruns? Controlling the beast only gets hard at first until you familiarize yourself with it. The axe is super OP on breaking up bosses' shield lol, and you have no idea how OP it would be after some tweaking. That's why it's the final legion unlocked. Sword legion cutting is weird I agree, but I move on and becomes good with the execution fast.

I think you're more referring to tackling the missions for the first time. I mean, you're supposed to stumble and, at times doing bloated things the game throws at you first. After that, you will be busy redoing the missions, figuring out how to cut short the time spent, just like a normal action game with their time attack feature to get the missions on rank S. Most of the missions speedruns will end within 15 mins so it's not taking up too much time either.

Of course, if you're just in for the story then you're not gonna enjoy it much. It's like dealing with Monster Hunter loop game and mechanism in some cases, if you can't figure out the controls and being familiar with it, then the game will be basically useless.

As for the budget comments, the game is supposed to work on low budgets because any kind of action game didn't sell like 10m++. Last time I heard the big-budget DMC V only sold around 3m, good milestone for an action game, but that number is pretty niche compared to big titles for other genres. Even Persona 5 sold 5m at least.

Astral Chain, in my view, absolutely delivered on its pledge of producing a top-tier action game that can compete with the likes of DMC/Bayo. It has sold over 1 million copies, suggesting that a sequel to the speculated trilogy is definitely in the works.

Mr Branding

So I never played a MH before and the first demo was a bit obtuse. Can anyone explain the time limits to me as I find that the only thing keeping me from jumping on this. Everything else is my cup of tea, but if I can’t explore at my own pace... I’ll wait for a discount

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So I never played a MH before and the first demo was a bit obtuse. Can anyone explain the time limits to me as I find that the only thing keeping me from jumping on this. Everything else is my cup of tea, but if I can’t explore at my own pace... I’ll wait for a discount
Well in each hunt you have 50 minutes to finish it but if you just want explore area you can do expedition quests which you do not have limited time, you can explore as much as you want.

Mr Branding

Got the demo and can’t put this down. Trying to find my main weapon, so far I’ve tried the Greatsword and Bow. Being stuck in isolation with the covid virus just got a lot better

Astral Dog Astral Dog lol, just noticed Doom is also 50% off. Jeez, great. That really makes it an easy choice/s

Edit: Eternal too apparently

Edit 2: Naaaah, these will get discounted periodically; dodged every sale just so I can purchase this wonderful game called MH Rise.
Fastest turnaround ever; the first demo left me unimpressed and uninstalled it immediately (never even got to kill the first monster, Great Izuchi)
But man, after giving it another fair shot this time, like mentioned above, I fell in love with this gaem. How is this even possible on Switch? Can’t wait to play more 😻

Last edited:

Aldric

I don't understand the part about abilities being "rarely used" and not working as intended. The amount of time you use an ability is entirely up to you and if you can probably finish the base game by mashing R2 and using simple sync attacks you're not going to get good scores doing so and it won't fly at all during the postgame missions. And there's a lot of very useful legion abilities that have some pretty unique roles too. You can use Arrow's legion skill to shoot the final boss(es)' spirit bombs for ex for an easy stun. Arms legion's gatling punches melt enemies barriers. Riding the dog is invaluable to reposition yourself when action gets hectic and allows you to stall if some of your abilities are on cooldown etc. Sword's Zandatsu can easily stop even the final boss' attacks, although it definitely has a high skill ceiling:

Astral Chain's combat is one of the most interesting systems I've seen in a long time and even if it's far from perfect and would need a sequel to reach its full potential it deserves more appreciation than what it currently has.

Tigerlord

Never played Pacman before so will be interesting to check this out and see what I can do.

Has Pacman had multi-player like this before?
Not really, the only other cases would be co-op on the tengen versions of Ms. pacman (2 player)and the arcade only Pacman battle royale which is 4 player.
alsothe themes you can get as paid dlc include

Rally-x
Skykid
Tower of Druaga
Mappy
Galaga
Dig Dug
Genji and heike clans
Yokai Dochuki (Shadowland)
Dragon Buster
Legend of Valkyrie
Cosmo Gang
Metrocross
Rolling Thunder
Wonder Momo
Xevious
Baraduke
Return of Ishtar
Dragon Spirit
Toypop
Bravoman

they are $2 each but the bundle plus extras and additional modes is $30

Is it just me or is this 99 BR thing already played out? Tetris was a cool idea, Super Mario Bros was a short lived novelty. Does anyone actually care about this stuff? I don’t see the appeal whatsoever.

Mr Branding

Astral Chain's combat is one of the most interesting systems I've seen in a long time and even if it's far from perfect and would need a sequel to reach its full potential it deserves more appreciation than what it currently has.
Nah, hope they focus on a new IP because this one has mediocre written all over it. Platinum still didn’t manage to reach the highs of Bayo’s combat system. Even with Bayo 2, they managed to make it a lesser version of the original.

Shaqazooloo

Is it just me or is this 99 BR thing already played out? Tetris was a cool idea, Super Mario Bros was a short lived novelty. Does anyone actually care about this stuff? I don’t see the appeal whatsoever.
Pretty sure its just you.

Considering you can still get full games 100% of the time in the main modes of Tetris 99, I would say people still care for games like this.

You have some weird takes...

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Nah, hope they focus on a new IP because this one has mediocre written all over it. Platinum still didn’t manage to reach the highs of Bayo’s combat system. Even with Bayo 2, they managed to make it a lesser version of the original.
Well i think a sequel is likely as Astral Chain sold very well for a new Platinum ip on Switch, and the combat can always be refined to be great, there is no saving the characters and world though 🤭

Fortunately we can have both Bayonetta 3 and Astral Chain 2! There is no way to tell how Bayo3 combat is gonna turn out other than Platinum Games saying over and over they are reinventing it. But im hopeful, Hashimoto not involved alone should make Bayonetta3 feel very different from part 2.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I saw Torchlight 2 is on sale, I tried the demo last night and I must say I really liked it.
Never really played many of these types of games.
I saw people mention Diablo 3 as well

seeing as I’m a newcomer and really would want to play single player when travelling which game is best ?
Though I will play online also from time to time.
i don’t really want a stats heavy resources management type game I want to fight monsters and pick up loot and explore area. Progress etc. I’m After a top down style game or isometric.

any suggestions ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom