• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Fushitsusha

Banned
Finished Super Mario Odyssey w/ 999 moons earlier. Next up will be Final Fantasy IX for the Nintendo Switch

Why does this song sound like a gang of alligators sporting tuxes n shades are about to commit a murder

I agree though, Kirby games have some great music but the gameplay rarely leaves a lasting impression. Except Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. The majority of that game was fairly memorable

^^^GOAT Kirby song

I can't wait to read your impressions and progress on FFIX! Making a separate LTTP/RTTP?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Thought it was just me. Bought it after hearing much praise. But it one of the very very very few games, i just quit.

How far did you get in. I'm still early and just picked up the 4th party member (little brat trope). The combat mechanic is just so dull.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I can't wait to read your impressions and progress on FFIX! Making a separate LTTP/RTTP?
Thanks Perona-sama horohorohorohoro lol

It should be a lot of fun, I’ll try out a LTTP thread. Remember the last time I decided to share a playthrough? I didn’t know what a LTTP thread was so I made like 15 Resident Evil Zero threads lmao

Fushitsusha

Banned
Thanks Perona-sama horohorohorohoro lol

It should be a lot of fun, I’ll try out a LTTP thread. Remember the last time I decided to share a playthrough? I didn’t know what a LTTP thread was so I made like 15 Resident Evil Zero threads lmao

I 'member. Should have made another of those billions Last of Us 2 threads instead!

How far did you get in. I'm still early and just picked up the 4th party member (little brat trope). The combat mechanic is just so dull.
Honestly, the combat is great and gets pretty deep, but... the various mechanics get introduced way too slowly to keep you interested. :(
I only kept playing it because I had watched a lot of videos since its original release on the 360 and knew what to expect down to road, but even then, I got bored halfway through.

Honestly, the combat is great and gets pretty deep, but... the various mechanics get introduced way too slowly to keep you interested. :(
I only kept playing it because I had watched a lot of videos since its original release on the 360 and knew what to expect down to road, but even then, I got bored halfway through.

Wow I had a similar experience in dropping it. Heard it was the best Tales game by far but for some reason the combat and combos felt SO MUCH sloppier than Symphonia. Pretty sure I dropped it right at the end of the first Act, I forget exactly where but it felt like the plot was meandering and going nowhere and the combat was unsatisfying. I meant to go back but it’s been so long I don’t have the willpower to return.

I also dropped Abyss years ago after getting quite far in, halfway or more I think. It’s odd because I loved Symphonia and couldn’t put it down, despite having a much more generic story.

What is wrong with me?

MagnesG

Banned
Wow I had a similar experience in dropping it. Heard it was the best Tales game by far but for some reason the combat and combos felt SO MUCH sloppier than Symphonia. Pretty sure I dropped it right at the end of the first Act, I forget exactly where but it felt like the plot was meandering and going nowhere and the combat was unsatisfying. I meant to go back but it’s been so long I don’t have the willpower to return.

I also dropped Abyss years ago after getting quite far in, halfway or more I think. It’s odd because I loved Symphonia and couldn’t put it down, despite having a much more generic story.

What is wrong with me?
Honestly I think for people who have been immune to anime plots and styles due to over exposition of it, Tales games would be extremely mediocre in their eyes. Only combat could the saving grace and Vesperia one is more ancient than the others.

Bought it on Switch hoping for a good replay, never went past the intro section sadly.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Aww, why've we been relegated to communities? This was one of the best natured threads on the gaming board. No warring, no drama - we lifted that place up!

EviLore EviLore any chance we can get this thread moved back to gaming? Outside of this thread it's nigh impossible to discuss anything N related without it getting dogpiled and shitposted by console warriors. Plus if this thread get's relegated to communities it's not going to survive.

We're a good-natured lot and it's good to have a topic on the main board where we can discuss the N stuff without the drama. It's fun and encourages more people to get involved, but it needs visibility to do that.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Why wouldn’t the thread survive? All the active members are still subbed. And you’re regarding it as an oasis from the main gaming section BS.

Give it a chance to play out as it is. We can follow up later to see the state of things and whether it needs to be reevaluated. We're here to help.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Why wouldn’t the thread survive? All the active members are still subbed. And you’re regarding it as an oasis from the main gaming section BS.

Give it a chance to play out as it is. We can follow up later to see the state of things and whether it needs to be reevaluated. We're here to help.

Lack of visibility to existing and new posters. Primary traffic flow and activity occurs within the gaming section and it's where the meat of discussion and news is posted.

Even to existing subscribers, the thread popping up on the main page is what prompts the clicks and much of the subsequent discussion. You drop into gaming to see what activity there is and then you notice the Nintendo OT hovering on the main page showing that discussion is going on. Nintendo news and discussions pop up in gaming and are often quickly bogged down with warriors but the Nintendo OT is right back up in view offering a more hospitable place to share some views.

And then there's new blood. A thread can't survive on just the existing members. Natural attrition will see regs drop out or just slow their posting. It's kinda essential to keep it view of the rest of the community so that anyone else is aware of it and sees that discussion of N related subjects and news doesn't always have to be a battle and there is an alternative, more chill thread to discuss.

In terms of involment and perception having to go off into another section just to have that kind of discussion is pretty exclusionary and just enforces the impression that console warring in gaming is okay and the standard for debate there. You need a mix, and this thread was one of the better examples that not everything in gaming has to be an argument and race to the bottom.

No offence is intended by this, just making a case for keeping the thread in gaming.

Last edited:
Can’t hurt giving this a shot and I understand why some people don’t want all of the OT discussions cluttering up the main board, but I do agree discoverability is a huge issue for new and casual users.

For me, personally, I don’t care for mega threads except for this one and have no desire to ever visit the communities page - I just stick to gaming discussion. Surely I’m not alone in this.

futurama78

Banned
Mom got me a used game 3ds haul. Monster Hunter Stories gun be pokemon like it seems. Oh well don’t have that circle pad pro. So like I got two pokemons and stories. Too much turn based. Need some action. For some reason they don’t sell the cases. Wwwwwhat. Oh well single carts are cute.

Last edited:
Hey guys, give me tips for FE3H. I've been craving some srpg but the life sim parts kinda overwhelm me with so many options of what to do. I started it a while back and stopped - same reason I quit P4G. I'm playing Black Eagles.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Hey guys, give me tips for FE3H. I've been craving some srpg but the life sim parts kinda overwhelm me with so many options of what to do. I started it a while back and stopped - same reason I quit P4G. I'm playing Black Eagles.

No matter which house you choose, recruit the following:

Lysithea

Optional (but awesome)

Felix
Ingrid
Leonie
Petra (If you're Black Eagles you should already have her)

Focus on the characters you want to recruit and check for any chance to win favor with them each Monastery session.

Gifts are a good way of winning favor with characters.
Meal times are an excellent chance to improve your relationship with them plus to improve the relationship between two other characters.
Lost items - when you find them, make finding the owner a priority.

General tips:

Work on getting your professor rank up. The higher your rank, the more action points you'll have.
You should be exploring the Monastery at least once a month.
Plant seeds in the greenhouse every time you can. It's free food for meal times and free experience.
Tournaments are very useful. Pick the right character for the job and make sure you win.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
What's the one game people would like to see release from Nintendo this year?

Breath of the Wild 2

Honorable mentions

Metroid Prime Trilogy
A new 2D Metroid
A new 3D Metroid

Something Metroid to at least acknowledge the anniversary seeing as they skipped over it on it's 25th

A 2D Zelda collection (Original, 2 and ALttP, or we could curve ball it and go for Oracles + Minish)

A new Fire Emblem would be a real nice stealth drop

Last edited:
You never know with some of these short release windows. Plus they’re a huge division with multiple teams, if they’re reusing the same engine from Xenoblade 2 there’s a chance.

For me, this year I would love to see Fire Emblem Echoes: GotHW or Advance Wars Switch. Aside from that, I would want a new IP from Nintendo, preferably traditional JRPG.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Absolutely loving Bravely Default II and really enjoying my time with Ghosts n Goblins: Resurrection. Both games I have seen get criticized needlessly. The former is just as good (at least up through chapter 2) as the first and the latter is hard, but fair, as it should be. I feel folks have rose coloured glasses for the earlier Ghosts n Goblins titles. They were bullshit and trial and error first and foremost.

KielCasto

What's the one game people would like to see release from Nintendo this year?
I’m guessing lots of people are starving for a Zelda collection or something to celebrate the 35th anniversary. Maybe a Metroid collection too, but with those come people complaining about ports >_>

While I’m over here, still dreaming about a sequel to Kid Icarus: Uprising. And maybe a proper Fatal Frame game since I’d like to try that series out.

Woopah

Breath of the Wild 2

Honorable mentions

Metroid Prime Trilogy
A new 2D Metroid
A new 3D Metroid

Something Metroid to at least acknowledge the anniversary seeing as they skipped over it on it's 25th

A 2D Zelda collection (Original, 2 and ALttP, or we could curve ball it and go for Oracles + Minish)

A new Fire Emblem would be a real nice stealth drop
I'm a 2D Metroid believer for this year haha
I could see them pulling it off. They did with Xenoblade 2.
I think their next game will be February 2022
You never know with some of these short release windows. Plus they’re a huge division with multiple teams, if they’re reusing the same engine from Xenoblade 2 there’s a chance.

For me, this year I would love to see Fire Emblem Echoes: GotHW or Advance Wars Switch. Aside from that, I would want a new IP from Nintendo, preferably traditional JRPG.
I do think we'll Fire Emblem Echoes: GotHW this year, probably in November.
I’m guessing lots of people are starving for a Zelda collection or something to celebrate the 35th anniversary. Maybe a Metroid collection too, but with those come people complaining about ports >_>

While I’m over here, still dreaming about a sequel to Kid Icarus: Uprising. And maybe a proper Fatal Frame game since I’d like to try that series out.
I don't think there's any collection they could do that I would find exciting. I've played all the Zelda and Metroid games.

Koei Tecmo is pretty much Nintendo's closest support right now. Some Fatal Frame games could be possible!

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Absolutely loving Bravely Default II and really enjoying my time with Ghosts n Goblins: Resurrection. Both games I have seen get criticized needlessly. The former is just as good (at least up through chapter 2) as the first and the latter is hard, but fair, as it should be. I feel folks have rose coloured glasses for the earlier Ghosts n Goblins titles. They were bullshit and trial and error first and foremost.

Rose coloured? more like the hue is just the red mist finally beginning to subside decades after the games were released and drove players into rage-induced delirium.

Unfortunately, harder games like G&G are remembered fondly often by those who never actually played them that much, so the difficulty and bullshit deaths are forgotten or dismissed as a product of more limited consoles.Hell, we live in an age where Dark Souls is held up as the defining standard of game difficulty so anything from the older days is inevitably going to get a rough ride purely on the basis that they're seen as unfair or "too tough" when compared to the "high bar" set by Souls.

Game looks okay. I'm not wild on the art style, but from the gameplay I've seen it looks pretty faithful (minus the removal of the double jump)

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Rose coloured? more like the hue is just the red mist finally beginning to subside decades after the games were released and drove players into rage-induced delirium.

Unfortunately, harder games like G&G are remembered fondly often by those who never actually played them that much, so the difficulty and bullshit deaths are forgotten or dismissed as a product of more limited consoles.Hell, we live in an age where Dark Souls is held up as the defining standard of game difficulty so anything from the older days is inevitably going to get a rough ride purely on the basis that they're seen as unfair or "too tough" when compared to the "high bar" set by Souls.

Game looks okay. I'm not wild on the art style, but from the gameplay I've seen it looks pretty faithful (minus the removal of the double jump)

Sorry, I seem to be misunderstanding what you have written. Are you saying that the older G&G aren't actually that difficult and are being unfairly compared to well designed difficult games such as Dark Souls, or the opposite?

As for the art style - I wasn't sold on it initially either. However, in motion and on the Switch screen it looks really bloody good.

Andyliini

I'm slowly playing through Bravely Default II. About 7 hours on the clock, and I just began Chapter 1 (yeah, been gringing alot). I also need to get used to using abilities more, as even underleveled enemies can quickly kick my ass if I'm not careful. Overall, very enjoyable game, as I wrote in the game's OT.

The next game I'm planning to buy is Legend of Mana in June. I have never played that game, and it looks like a good continuation for the first three, which I played on Switch last year. After that we only need Dawn of Mana on Switch, and we have the full main saga there. Maybe even a new game in the future?

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Sorry, I seem to be misunderstanding what you have written. Are you saying that the older G&G aren't actually that difficult and are being unfairly compared to well designed difficult games such as Dark Souls, or the opposite?

As for the art style - I wasn't sold on it initially either. However, in motion and on the Switch screen it looks really bloody good.

No, I'm saying that they're proper "hard" games. Old school hard games which make modern "hard" games like Souls look laughable. But unfortunately with "Souls" being used as the measure for what a tough game is it means that anything that set a higher bar and returns with that same level of difficulty will inevitably get slated as unfair or broken because the bar has lowered in modern times.

Super G&G crushed my soul as a kid. It's the real deal. I worked hard to get through that game, died innumerable times because my reflexes weren't honed enough, I mis-judged a jumps or weapon choices, or just because fatigue was setting in. And when I got to the end, beat that chunky bearded git and let myself take in the moment and enjoy the ending... well... oh lord... it still hurts to think about it.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I actually started playing a bit of Super G&G a few days ago on my snes classic. I'm abusing save states, and even then the game is much harder than modern "retro" hard games.

Never played souls, but I didn't like Bloodborne or Nioh; loved Blasphemous though. Much the same way I don't actually enjoy Super G&G, the hype and the difficulty have me wanting to play it.

I do feel that hard games that are 2d are easier than hard 3d games. I don't know why.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No, I'm saying that they're proper "hard" games. Old school hard games which make modern "hard" games like Souls look laughable. But unfortunately with "Souls" being used as the measure for what a tough game is it means that anything that set a higher bar and returns with that same level of difficulty will inevitably get slated as unfair or broken because the bar has lowered in modern times.

Super G&G crushed my soul as a kid. It's the real deal. I worked hard to get through that game, died innumerable times because my reflexes weren't honed enough, I mis-judged a jumps or weapon choices, or just because fatigue was setting in. And when I got to the end, beat that chunky bearded git and let myself take in the moment and enjoy the ending... well... oh lord... it still hurts to think about it.

I am going to have to disagree with you then. For me, proper "hard" games are ones that are fair in their difficulty and could feasibly be beaten in a single go without a death if you are skilled enough. Ghosts n' Ghouls, Ghosts n' Goblins, and the Super Variants are the exact opposite of that. Their difficulty isn't fair as much as trial and error. It became less and less of an issue, admittedly, as the games continued to release - however there were still plenty of absolute bullshit moments that you would have had no clue about on your first playthroughs.

The games have a soft spot in my heart, but I can still freely admit that they weren't fair in their design. I feel the newest game is fair while maintaining the same expectations out of the player to master its controls, weapons, and have quick reflexes. It just doesn't require omniscience from the player like the earlier games did.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I am going to have to disagree with you then. For me, proper "hard" games are ones that are fair in their difficulty and could feasibly be beaten in a single go without a death if you are skilled enough. Ghosts n' Ghouls, Ghosts n' Goblins, and the Super Variants are the exact opposite of that. Their difficulty isn't fair as much as trial and error. It became less and less of an issue, admittedly, as the games continued to release - however there were still plenty of absolute bullshit moments that you would have had no clue about on your first playthroughs.

The games have a soft spot in my heart, but I can still freely admit that they weren't fair in their design. I feel the newest game is fair while maintaining the same expectations out of the player to master its controls, weapons, and have quick reflexes. It just doesn't require omniscience from the player like the earlier games did.

There are very few games that fall into that definition. A couple of bullet hell shooters and 2D fighters maybe, but every game of high difficulty is going to rely on some degree of trial and error unless your reflexes and intuition are bordering on superhuman. Hell, we can throw something like Battletoads in there as even the bike segments provide room for a player with fast enough reflextes and intuition to get through on the first try, but to do so would be considered bullshit impossible for the vast majority of players who instead would have to rely on trial and error even though it can be done with skill.

Trial and error is the inevitable consequence of difficulty and lack of fairness is part and parcel of most hard games. Hell, the game that coined the whole "souls" measure, Dark Souls, is riddled with bullshit including some incredibly poor and inconsistent hit boxes. That's no less a sin than G&G level design having a platform drop away as you jumpt towards it giving you barely a moment to second jump back.

Interesting that you see the newer game as being fairer in design. I figured they'd have to drop some of the trademark "gotcha" moments given the removal of the double jump (which was a primary reactive defence against them). I'll have to give the game a look some time.

Astral Dog

lttp but the salt over Pyra/Mythra on Smash at Resetera is simply amazing 😂
i don't even care that much about Xenoblade 2 but they are a fine addition to the roster

and this is cute ♡
HIciVM3.jpg

Andyliini

Lots of Japanese games announced for Nintendo Switch during NGPX today:

The Silver Case 2425:

Mary Skelter Trilogy:

RICO London:

Exophobia:

Pocky & Rocky Reshrined:

Ever Forward:

Azure Striker GUNVOLT 3:

Dairoku: Agents of Sakuratani:

Phantom Brave and Sould Nomand & The World Eaters:

Blaster Master Zero 3:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lots of Japanese games announced for Nintendo Switch during NGPX today:

The Silver Case 2425:

Mary Skelter Trilogy:

RICO London:

Exophobia:

Pocky & Rocky Reshrined:

Ever Forward:

Azure Striker GUNVOLT 3:

Dairoku: Agents of Sakuratani:

Phantom Brave and Sould Nomand & The World Eaters:

Blaster Master Zero 3:

Hot damn!

So many great games were announced today. Couple this with LRG physical releases of No More Heroes 1 and 2 and my wallet is already crying. Really hoping we don't have to wait long for a Blaster Master Zero 3 and GUNVOLT 3 physical.

I checked the eShop recently while I was adding some codes, and saw that the Famicom detective bundle is indeed a full price 60 dollar game. Again; I appreciate them reviving these niche franchises, but at this price they're setting themselves up for disappointment.

Top Bottom